Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Ancient Song of the Stars, The Light Shall Heal [open]

Started by Ethereal-Star, February 04, 2015, 08:12:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ethereal-Star

"I completely understand." Evadne looked to him and gave a warm smile even if he couldn't see it. "Some people I've spoken to have not taken it as well as you have. While some didn't believe me, others downright were scared out of their minds, believing beings like myself were too powerful and mighty to be around. It wasn't like they didn't trust me, they just couldn't comprehend it. It is sad but understandable, for I do not wish to frighten others."

Evadne recalled some meetings fondly though. "While still others embraced and accepted the concept and myself, welcoming me with open arms. I have formed friendships with some, but sadly they are no longer around as it's been many millennia since then. They have passed from their physical bodies and have since gone to the beyond. A different beyond mind you of where I hail from."

She sighed in remembrance of these souls and gave a small smile as she recalled the faces of the ones she had befriended all that time ago. She had witnessed some of their deaths as well, having chosen to visit them in a final farewell on their deathbeds. And then they left the world, never to return. Whether or not they reincarnated elsewhere or in the same world was not known to her. The Star did know some cultures held such beliefs in these cycles of life, death and rebirth. Evadne herself would eventually die one day, and she knew not where she would end up after that.

"Despite how powerful I may be, I still require allies to fight this darkness this world has to contend with. It is a risky venture, but it needs to be done, to recruit brave souls like yourself. I just hope others will join our cause. I do not know how much time we have left, but with each dawning of a new day, that span of time grows smaller and smaller."

RogueDM

Millenia. She said it so casually as if it were just a few days to her. For the first time it struck Erin how far beyond him Evadne was. She was a being from another world, one who had already lived his lifetime many times over. A being that had traveled worlds and seen more than he would ever experience in his life. She was more knowledgeable and probably wiser than he could ever hope to be. He stopped walking for a moment and observed his new friend once more. Respect and awe afflicted him as he examined her once more with a further understanding of what she truly was. A creature so much more than he would ever be, and yet she needed his assistance.

The irony made him laugh. "I suppose if I am to aid you, then you should know a bit more about me as well." Erin said. "To put it simply, my soul is connected to the world around me. As far as I can see, it's not one with the world, just connected. I am not it's avatar, it's spirit, it's guardian, or anything like that. I am simply a human that is deeply connected to the natural world at it's basest form. That being said I can literally feel through the air and earth surrounding me."

Erin stopped moving and focused his mind on the world around him. "I can feel everything. I can feel the rustle of the wind through each blade of grass. I can feel the tremors of the worms and beetles digging through the earth. I can feel the outline of every tree and the beating wings of every bird. I can feel the air filling your lungs at this very moment. I sense objects based on this connection to nature. So long as your body is exposed to the air I can feel your presence as well as if my hands were touching you." Erin said as he examined Evadne. "However, much like regular sight, I can't focus on everything at once. By examining you closely other shapes become a blur, and by spreading out my awareness I lose sight of details. Even so I can keep track of much more than that of any normal man and catch any movement faster than any eye."

Erin took a deep breath, embracing the calm of the world before continuing "Just as nature is part of my physical senses, it is also a part of my emotional sense as well. When the air is pure and the earth is fertile I feel at peace. When the land is barren and the air polluted I will feel ill. It's as if the world is an extension of my body. When all is right it feeds me a great sense of calm. When damaged it feeds me anger. That's why I was able to stand that creature's presence. The world anchors me, and even in that man's presence doesn't feel much in the way of fear."

Stretching out his arms towards the ground a small distance from his side Erin faces his palms upwards, relaxing his fingers as if gingerly holding a large ball in each hand. A breeze picked up and started wrapping itself around Erin, winding around his body and funneling down his arms and collecting in each hand. Breathing deeply Erin guided the air into two swirling balls hovering just above his palms. "Just as if it were an extension of my body I can move the world around me." He said as the earth shifted at his feet and the air compressed itself in his hands. "At best I can lift a person slowly by pushing on them with air or earth, but I can also build up natural energy to release all at once like a spring." He said as he began to clench his hands forcing the balls of air smaller and smaller. "It takes time, but it can become a weapon that is difficult to defend against." As he said this he snapped his wrists towards the ground and released his grip on the air and a large gust of wind shot out in all directions around him.

"I can use each element differently, but I can only guide pre-existing elements. I cannot conjure fire or water, only manipulate that which already exists. Caught off guard I'm a very weak fighter, but given a day or so I could even bring about a storm and guide it as my sword and shield." Erin relaxed his posture once more "I hope this power will be of use to you."

Ethereal-Star

Evadne listened in rapt attention as her companion explained his connection to the earth around him. The Star could feel his deep affinity to the natural world and sense the currents of life that guided him. She could also tell he felt great contentment with this ability, this way of reaching out with both mind and body, as well as soul. As a Flameling, Evadne is able to sense the life around her too but in a different way than Erin could. Hers was more rooted at a celestial level, in that being a possible caretaker of many worlds allowed her to not only give life and light, but to appreciate it as well. Alas, as Evadne had no worlds in which to watch over and provide sustenance to, she still had this innate power within herself nonetheless. As it was with all her kind.

Looking all around her at the beauty of the land, Evadne then glanced his way and said, "Yes, it is a most beneficial ability to have on our side. In fact, you would even be able to sense any evil coming before it actually arrived, and not just because of the feelings the earth generates within you. Like myself, you can feel powerful auras better than most mortals and our adversary has an aura stronger than many. I also have the ability to negate some of the vile effects of such an enemy's influence, but I cannot control their aura, only help negate what it does to the environment and the people in it."

As the pair continued to walk, Evadne felt it only fair to explain some of what she was capable of. Her glowing eyes of fiery ambiance, although of a blue-black color, gazed upon him as she began to speak. "I possess some special abilities not found in any other than us stars. As a collective, we of course provide light and fire to any worlds within our grasp and can communicate with ourselves as well through an intrinsic understanding of the life we all share in the vast beyond. It is different than our Star-Speak language that only Flamelings have access to. Those of us who descend, that is. As for powers that can help to fight our enemy, I can bring about a state of hope and confidence in my allies and confidantes, while at the same time cause the opposite effect in my foes. And this works on any kind of being, and is especially strong against evil and darkness. We call it simply, 'Star-Song'. As well I can channel some of my inner fire and heat to create a powerful light effect which operates in two separate, distinctive ways. Depending upon how many targets there are, I am able to compensate and act accordingly, to either blind them or release them from this life instantly by the sheer amount of force behind my efforts. It is called simply, 'Star-Shine', in general. There are a few other things as well, but for now I believe this information should be enough."

The day was starting to come to a close, as the sun began to sink below the horizon, its rays becoming dimmer with each passing minute. As a result, Evadne's own inner glow seem to be that much more evident as light turned to dark, and day to night. Looking at Erin once more, she asked him a question with a small smile on her face. "I hope that this is not too overwhelming for you?"

RogueDM

"No, not overwhelmed. At least not anymore." Erin replied. He certainly was at first, but the wind and the earth soothed his mind as it always did. He was still amazed and awestruck, but these emotions didn't flood his mind the way they might other men. Right now he was the wind sweeping through the grass and the earth holding steady beneath their feet. The world was so vast, so grand that any feelings of fright or awe would be drowned out by the endless calm offered up by the land. "To overwhelm me would be the same as overwhelming the world we currently live in. That man we met, he was the first thing I ever met that made the world itself afraid."

Erin paused for a moment pondering her suggestion that he might be able to sense evil before it arrived. "I'm not sure how much use I'll be in detecting enemies. I can't sense life and my senses don't travel far. That man was an exception; I detected his presence long before I met him. Even so, I had no idea who are what caused such dread in the land until I was in the standing in the same room as him."

Erin couldn't see the setting sun, but he could feel the earth cooling down and the missing heat of the suns rays. He knew night was approaching and could feel the shift in the air around him. It was inconvenient at first not being able to tell night from day, but as his senses honed he could detect the subtleties in the environment that signified the change. "I believe it is getting dark" He said "Should we set up a camp somewhere nearby?"

Ethereal-Star

The Flameling was not surprised by her comrade's comparison of himself to the very earth around them. After all, other worlds she had been to over the multitude of centuries past had various nature mages and geomancers who called those planets home. They too were very much in tune with their surroundings just like Erin here. And many of these people Evadne had befriended before time itself eventually claimed their lives, thus passing from both mortal and star sight alike. In particular, the world of Harmonia had a very high percentage of geomancers and shamans, being that the natural world was so very important to their many cultures.

Of course, from area to area their customs differed somewhat, but in general they all held Mother Nature in very high esteem. It was simply their way of life, what they knew and were comfortable with. Not everyone there practiced magic, but every person there regardless held some kind of appreciation for the natural world and the universe as a whole. The last time the Star had visited seemed like such a short time ago, about nearly two and a half centuries. To a regular person, this may in fact seem like a long time but for a Star or Flameling, it was merely a small fraction of that time. Evadne made it a point to visit there again within the next 50 years as it was one of her favorite places to go to. But only after the current quest had been completed.

The Flameling came out of her reverie then, and spoke once more to Erin at her side. "Indeed, many geomancers have a very solid grip on their emotions, being strongly anchored to the world in which they live in. It is only natural that you, being one yourself, also feel such a calm connection. And no, you are not the first geomancer I have met."

At his uncertainty of being able to detect enemies, Evadne simply smiled. "Do not underestimate yourself or your capabilities, Erin Arrafel. Who knows, you may eventually reach that point on your life path. The fact that you could indeed sense the creature's presence before you came in contact with it, whether or not you knew what you were dealing with, it is a boon on our side. Every advantage our way counts, no matter how small. Even the smallest of things can make a ton of difference. A minute spent living in heavenly bliss is far more memorable than a hundred years of eternal loneliness. A rose given as an expression of love to another is made that much more beautiful. A smile sent one's way can make all the difference in the world, especially if that person had given up on life. Something so small and seemingly insignificant to others can spark something inside oneself, giving them the desire to try again. I have seen it many times. Those ripples in existence many think do not do much, they in fact do far more than one would ever realize. So do not sell yourself short, Erin. You are far more powerful than you give yourself credit for. As long as that power is used for good, all is well and as it should be."

As the night drew nearer, Evadne looked up at the ever darkening sky above as it continued the process  of changing color, from light blue, to dark blue, to finally black. "As a Flameling, I do not require the same sleep that mortals do. Nor does the night inhibit my vision. However, for your sake we shall make a stop here and set up camp. Both of us need to be in top peak conditioning if we are to succeed in this dangerous task of ours. I can help with getting a fire going, as well as keep watch while you get some rest. It is of no inconvenience to me."

And with that, Evadne began to look around for bits and pieces of wood and dried leaves that they could use to make their campfire with. She also searched for large stones to help keep the fire safely contained. Being that the terrain they were traveling through was composed of mainly tall grasses and sloping green hills, with a few trees scattered here and there, there wasn't that much spare wood to find but they would make do with what was available to them. Perhaps there were the remnants of past campfires around here they could make use of. Evadne kept her eyes peeled for anything of use.

RogueDM

Other Geomancers...It startled Erin for a moment before who once again realized who he was talking to. Evadne had said they each were connected to their own world. No, she was not referring to more of his kind here. The disappointment struck him for just a moment before being washed away by the ocean of tranquility around him. He knew very little about his powers and where they came from. It had been his goal for sometime to find another like him, or at least someone who could tell him something he did not already know. It wasn't a very meaningful or powerful goal, but it gave him a sense of purpose and direction in his wanderings.

Evadne clearly had great faith in Erin even after knowing him for such a short time. No, not faith in him in particular, faith in people and goodness. While he didn't show it outwardly he held his doubts. While Erin believed he could grow stronger, he doubted his powers would evolve in the ways she described or that this ability in particular would come of much use. Optimism can easily lead to arrogance and carelessness. Don't forget to see the world and don't forget to see past it. See everything for what it is and nothing more. He had forgotten where he learned that mantra, but it served him well. The world was as it was and to see things that were not there was foolish. Perhaps Evadne could see what he could not, but Erin would not be blinded by faith and optimism.

"Yes, I'm sorry to slow you down." He replied to Evadne as he reached out to the world "But don't trouble yourself, I can set up the camp." Erin stopped and stood still for a moment as he became one with the land. He raised his arms just slightly to his sides with his palms partially open and facing the ground. The ground in front of him began to buckle downwards as dirt and grass was shoved to either side or was pushed into the ground forming a shallow hole about a foot down with a small mound of excess dirt ringing the top. Stones shifted about to line the top of the firepit as small branches were carried along the ground, pushed forward by small movements in the earth as they traveled toward the fire. The branches were dropped into the pit forming a small pile. After the pile was gathered Erin flicked his wrist downward and tiny yet powerful air current brushed against one of the branches creating a spark. Reaching out he became one with the spark down guiding it towards the branch igniting the flame. Guiding the fire he spread it from branch to branch until the pile was ablaze.

Reaching out one last time Erin scanned the ground once more until he found the shape of a rabbit. He guided the earth as it lept towards the rabbits foot snaring it in an instant before snaking it's way towards the creatures neck snapping it in one quick motion. Erin pulled back from the world and let his hands fall back to his side before walking towards the rabbit he ended. "I don't know about sensing our enemies before we meet them, but I can handle myself in the wild." he said as reached for rabbit's corpse. Using his powers he fashioned a knife from a stone and began the task of preparing the rabbit. "Do you require food the same way most mortals do?" Erin asked as guided fire towards the rabbit to cook it.

Ethereal-Star

The Star watched as Erin set up the camp using his geomancer powers. "Of course. I meant not to infringe." And she smiled as she watched him work. While the death of the rabbit was nothing new to the earthbound celestial as she had seen it countless times before in her existence, a tiny spark of sadness nonetheless filled her fiery soul. Yet the rabbit's death served a much greater purpose, and that was to aid them in their journey to protect the life on this planet.

Bending down over the animal's corpse, she began to sing a song to aid its passing from this world and into the afterlife beyond. It was a song of haunting beauty, a combination of Star-Speak and an ethereal humming sound which seemed to penetrate into one's very bones and psyche. The melody was of an ancient primordial tune, not born of this world or any world in particular, but entwined as part of the very cosmos itself, and the light which filled the vast dark void of space. As Evadne sang her lament, the land around her responded in kind, providing an even greater calm than ever before. It was like gaining an glimpse into the very beyond from which Evadne had been born in, of stars coming into being and then dying in great explosions of light and energy, all in seemingly fast-forward motion, as well as the timelessness evident there.

When she finally finished her song, it would seem for just a second that an age had passed in this world, but was really only a few minutes in length. As the Flameling stood up, she greatly regretted not doing the same for those poor souls back at the inn, but she had been far too shocked at the time by the needless deaths of so many at the hand of evil. Regardless, it was better late than never and so she began to sing another lament in memory of them all. This one seemed to last twice as long, the glow around her brightening considerably as she sang, the peaceful aura around her also growing in strength. It was now fully dark when she finished and Evadne felt much better having done all that. To help guide those souls to a better afterlife where loss of that kind could not touch them anymore.

Glancing up at the sky, she felt her soul connect with all the multitude of fiery bodies twinkling their light rays from afar, feeling once more as though she were back in her home for a mere moment. Her brothers and sisters all seemed to gaze down upon her then, as though recognizing one of their own. A silent understanding passed between the earthbound star and all her skyward brethren for a couple seconds. They wished her good luck in her endeavors as they too knew of the urgent need of her mission here. Evadne had been on this world for nearly three decades for this visit, and she decided that when their quest was complete she would make a trip back home for a time before her next descent to another world would begin.

At Erin's question as to whether or not she required food, Evadne's answer was simple. "No, I do not actually, but at times I do find it rather enjoyable to partake of the earth's sustenance every now and again. But it is merely a curiosity and not an inherent need. So please, do not worry about me as you need the meat far more than I."

As Evadne watched her companion eat, she was reminded of the last time she had come across one of her own while traveling the different worlds of the universe. After their initial greetings to each other, the other Flameling who had taken on a male form, had told her something, a mantra that had stuck with her for a long time afterwards. It was something that all Stars intrinsically knew, but a reminder every now and then especially for their Flameling kin was always a welcoming thing, seeing as how the latter became enmeshed with all the ills and trials of many worlds, sometimes losing sight of this greatly important concept. The words of that mantra rang in her head as clear as the day on which she had heard them. Don't forget to see the world, and don't forget to see past it. See everything for what it is and nothing more.

Evadne smiled at these thoughts, feeling the peace they evoked within her before quietly saying those same words out loud. "Don't forget to see the world, and don't forget to see past it. See everything for what it is and nothing more." It was a comforting reminder indeed.

RogueDM

The sound of Evadne's song flooded into Erin's very being. The world itself seemed to resonate with her tune. The sea of calm that anchored him so firmly in the world become one of sorrow with a glimmer of awe. He felt as if for a moment he glimpsed eternity, as if he stared into the faces of btoh life and death. It was entirely overwhelming. When her songs ended it took time for the world to quiet his mind the way it usually did. It was one thing to believe that she truly was an otherworldly being, a star as she said, but a whole different thing to actually feel what that meant. He was surprised to find a few tears had trickled down his face while he was absorbed in her song. Reaching up Erin silently wiped them away with his sleeve and said nothing. There was nothing to be said, Evadne's song had already said enough.

After finishing his meal he buried the remains of the rabbit at the base of a tree so that it's body might once again be used to give life and sat down, leaning his back against the trunk. Erin let his arms fall to his sides as he relaxed when Evadne's phrase caught his attention. It struck him as a bit odd that his newfound companion would say the exact same mantra that he carried with him throughout his life, but he figured the phrase must be more common than he thought. "It's funny you should say that" he said allowing himself to relax once more "Those exact words have guided me throughout most of my life. I can't quite remember where I first heard them, but those words ring true. I'll never forget them."

As he spoke Erin let his mind become one with the land around him. Spreading out his soul as he became one with the earth and sky. It was a habit of his to rest connected to the world. Not only did it relax his body and mind and give restful sleep, but  it also kept him aware. Sudden movements or changes would rouse his body as the change in the world would be the same as someone prodding his own sleeping body. It had kept him safe on more than one occasion.

Ethereal-Star

Noticing that Erin had buried what was left of the rabbit by the base of a tree, she smiled and sat down nearby, but a little ways away from him. At his comment of the mantra being a guiding force in his life, Evadne was a bit surprised. "Truly?"

The Star knew that the phrase was a common saying among all her kin, and perhaps some other Flamelings shared that wisdom with the people of the many lands they visited. While Evadne had met a few others like her in her existence while traveling, their visitations weren't very long, perhaps a few days according to mortal reckoning, give or take. But the saying originated with the Stars, so Erin must have heard it from another like herself or from someone else who had met one.

"That is a common Star saying. We of the cosmos know this deep within our psyches, although I must admit that while traveling the universe is a grand thing to experience, it can also be very draining. Those of us who do not descend either by circumstance or choice, are not inhibited by the woes of the worlds, thus maintaining a more neutral standing on earthly affairs and what goes on in them. As you can tell, I do not share that outlook nearly as much, as my soul longs to explore. But it is a wonderful thing to return home every now and again."

Remembering her recent promise to herself, Evadne glanced up once more at the blackness above. Home lay there, as though beckoning her to return soon. The Star would, but only after she had accomplished what she came here for. They just needed to acquire more allies. Evadne hoped it wouldn't be too much longer. Time was not their friend here for each moment that passed, the sense of urgency within her increased. The darkness and corruption was out there still, planning its moves before it would strike again. The incident at the inn was only the first step in the vile being's atrocious plans and the Flameling had no doubt there would be other incidents to come, possibly many. All leading up to the grand finale. The death of this world and all of its inhabitants.

Sighing with melancholy, she looked around, eyes searching the area around them, the view as clear as day to her. Perhaps there would be something positive on the horizon coming their way soon. They certainly needed it.

Blaze Enderman

Blaze remembered Creation. It was too loud for his liking. He was one of the first beings in Creation, next to darkness. He was a mistake, an abomination, an unholy merger of light and darkness overwhelming. It made him angry. He lashed out at his creator, his rage sparking the first light. With a scream, he lit the cosmos ablaze.

I am Blaze Enderman.

Present Day

A Flameling. That was something Blaze didn't see every day. Or every Eon. And a Geomancer, another rare sight.

Well, he really couldn't see them; he was several hundred kilometers away, well out of range for detection, but Blaze could feel the powerful Light of the Flameling from halfway around the world, or possibly one of the Moons.

There was another presence far away from the Flameling, one of freezing darkness and cold. The Aberration. This guy was trouble.

Blaze was shocked out of his Far-Sight by loud laughter from some drunkards. Blaze sighed, and rolled his shoulders, his sword shifting into a more comfortable position across his back. His sword was his masterpiece, and his focus for his magic. He wondered why he had chosen a pub to stalk these people.

Maybe I should stop stalking them and just go met them... Blaze thought. He couldn't get an exact pin on their location; the best he could do was a couple kilometers.

With a flash of green light, Blaze dissapeared from the pub.

And with another flash, he re-appeared on a hill, about one and a half kilometers away from the Fireling and Geomancer. I still manage to impress myself some times. Blaze thought. He could teleport directly up to them, but didn't want to startle them: that could lead to a lot of trouble. So he began the treck to the two.

RogueDM

"A flameling saying?" Erin mused "I suppose that means one of your kind must have been here before you." Erin doubted he had met a flameling, it was far more likely that he would have heard the saying passed down through other men. "It doesn't feel that absurd that another one of your kind visited." He said as he tilted his head towards the sky, reminiscing "I haven't seen it in a while, but if my memory holds there were countless stars in the sky. Surely one might have been here before you."

As Erin spoke he could feel the bonds of sleep begin to take hold of him pulling apart at his consciousness. His thoughts turned to gentle musings turned to silence as his mind melted into the world. It was a feeling he was never sure how to describe to others, the feeling of being one with the world. It wasn't bliss or any sort of nirvana, it was simply a peaceful feeling. Not one which he clung to, nor one which he desired to leave. A feeling of perfect contentment washed over him as he was one with the air and the earth.

Ethereal-Star

"Yes, I would imagine so as well." Evadne replied. She wondered how long ago the other Flameling had visited and if he or she was still here somewhere, wandering the many lands of this world.

Turning back to Erin, she affirmed his question. "Yes, there are countless of us Stars, as we are many. We exist as a collective, although the exact number even I am unsure of. I will say that there are not just thousands or even millions of us, but a number so exceedingly high mortals would barely be able to comprehend it."

Evadne quieted then, contemplating on something. Stars were not immortal, although they came close enough to it, and Evadne knew she would eventually die one day in a great explosion of heat and light. She did not fear this, but wondered nonetheless what that would be like. Where she would go after that. Her time was not up yet, but as the centuries and then millennia passed, her life very slowly slipped away in the great hourglass of time itself. It was something she had pondered for a very long time, her eventual death and what other celestial bodies she would take down with it when it happened.

It was as she was contemplating this, she became aware of a powerful presence of light. That and its polar opposite, darkness. But more so the light is what she felt, although very different from her own aura, so it couldn't be another Flameling. Curious now, she began to look around for the source of this sensation, for whoever it was was nearing closer and closer.

Blaze Enderman

Blaze flipped his cowl up as he approached the campsite, and readjusted his sword again. He wasn't expecting a fight, but there have been many time people had attacked him for no reason other than having darkness in him. The Geomancer was current sleeping, but Blaze's presence made the world want to rise up, and reap vengeance on those who would seek to destroy it, so he expected it wouldn't last long.

Blaze made sure that his flames were not burning anything, and approached the Flameling, who was already aware of his presence.

"Hello, Flameling," Blaze said in Star-Speak, a language the only the Star could understand, "I am Blaze Enderman, the Bringer of Light. It is an honor to meet you. I have seen very few of your kind in all my years, and still your purity and light astound me."

Blaze knelt before the creature of light in respect. Blaze had retracted his aura as much as possible to try and keep his duality for causing confusion. He had no doubt that the Flameling and Geomancer could sense it, but too much of it can cause quite the headache.

The last time Blaze had seen a Flameling was on a planet very similar to this, a very long time ago. He couldn't remember exactly how long ago, but it was probably several billion years. Time had lost meaning to Blaze. Blaze had befriended that Flameling, and made many memories with them. The decended stars were one the few things that could come close to matching Blaze's lifespan, so Blaze allowed himself to befriend them.

Blaze couldn't quite put his finger on how powerful the Flameling was, but he guessed it was a moderately powerful one, judging by its aura and size.

The Geomancer was also a sight to see. Blaze could sense the world's energy flowing in and out of him, as if he was a part of it. Very rarely did anyone ever achieve this level of connectivity with their surroundings without making some sort of sacrifice.

Ethereal-Star

Soon, a figure approached their campsite. The aura of both light and darkness was even stronger now, but not overwhelmingly so. Evadne sensed that the person was tempering their aura so as not to overwhelm them with it. Flamelings themselves had pretty strong auras as it were, although a lot of theirs did vary depending on their natural form's size in space.

It was then the person flipped up the hood on their cloak, and Evadne got a good look at the creature approaching them. It was a powerful spirit, one even older than her, albeit only by maybe a few dozen millennia or so. Green flames surrounded his head, his hands made of the same fiery green. It was certainly not a natural form of fire. Not only could the Star plainly see this, but more so she felt it. His skin was a dark purple, nearly ebony in color and she noticed his lack of a mouth.

There was a large weapon by his side, and she briefly glanced at it, frowning only slightly. No, she was not worried about the weapon, she was completely immune to any harmful effects from it as it glowed with the brilliance of lava itself. Evadne after all did not like or even approve of weapons of any ilk, although for this mission, she would make an exception. Their enemy would no doubt use whatever weaponry it could acquire, and their team needed to be as prepared as possible for the eventual onslaught to come. The creature before her was not a threat and he seemed to be quite friendly. Not surprising at all considering his nature, even if there was some darkness in him. However the light within him trumped any darkness that was present inside him, and it was this plus his amiable, respectful greeting toward her that made the Star trust him and extend her own greeting in turn.

Evadne was not that surprised at his knowing of Star-Speak, even though in all her life she had seen few beings quite like the one which stood before her now. She figured he had his ways of knowing such secrets of the stars, as the language was one known only by Stars and Flamelings themselves, and a few select others of similar nature. Smiling she said, also in Star-Speak, "And greetings to you as well, Blaze Enderman, the Bringer of Light. It is also an honor. My name is Evadne, a name I chose for myself eons ago and one in which I continue to use. My companion is currently in restful slumber, but please, join us if you would." She made to sit down again on a flat rock nearby and waited for the spirit to join them.

"It is not often I meet others similar to myself, whether they be Star or another light-being. It is a rare occurrence when it does happen, and also a joy."

RogueDM

Two things stirred Erin back to awareness. The first was an odd feeling in the air. He couldn't quite place it as he had never felt the world itself feel this way. Righteousness was the best word he could find to describe this feeling. It's like the world itself began to carry a sense of purpose, a holy mission of sorts. The second was the approach of a man, or at least the figure of a man. His movement through the air roused him as if someone had bumped into him on accident. Yet he did not move.

As was his usual habit he kept his breathing just as steady as it was while he slept and did not flex a muscle. Impulsive decisions were often unwise and sometimes deadly. He instead simply reached out into the air and observed the newcomer. His figure seemed humanoid, though there were some abnormalities, most notably the lack of a mouth. He could feel fire wreathing the creature. It was fire, but at the same time it was not. It felt unnatural, yet pure. He could tell he would have no influence over this flame as it was clearly different.

Evadne and the stranger began to speak in a tongue he did not understand. He recognized some of the sounds as being similar to her song earlier. Whatever the case the stranger did not seem poised to attack nor Evadne to defend. Erin decided he would lie in silence and wait while the two spoke. No one needed to know he had roused just yet.

Blaze Enderman

Blaze rose and sat on a rock across Evadne. He could think of nothing of import to say, so he played with the fire instead, making it dance and spin. This was one of his favorite past times and could do it for hours without ever tiring of it. Also, he was observing the Flameling, trying to get a more accurate judge on her power and motives. Her aura was very present and calming,taking the edge off his natural unease of strangers. He felt that he could trust her, but would reserve his final judgement for later.

Blaze stopped playing with the fire and asked: "So what is your mission here? Are you just wondering like some, or do you have specific purpose here?"

Blaze was seeking to destroy a the evil that had cursed this world, a mission he had sworn to long ago, and would like all the help he could get. This was one of the strongest presences of darkness and hate he had felt in a long time.

Blazes eyed the Geomancer to see if he was awake, but he still seemed to be deeply absorbed in slumber. Must be a deep sleeper, Blaze thought and mentally shrugged again.

Ethereal-Star

The earthbound Star was also observing Blaze as he observed her, but in a less discerning way and more out of curiosity and friendliness. She could tell he was a little wary of her though, studying her as if to find out what her motives and intentions were. Blue-black eyes gazed at him with the wisdom of the ages behind their intense depths, as she smiled at him before turning her attention to the fire in front of them. The fire itself did not really affect her, as she didn't need the warmth it provided. Her body exuded its own internal warmth, more than the average human's did, but nowhere near what it was in her natural form. The glow around her was a lot more evident in the dark night, fireflies flitting nearby the group looking like tiny dancing stars. She gazed up at the sky again briefly before turning to look back at him when he asked his question.

"As a matter of fact, my companion and I are on a mission to save this world from a dark force that seeks to destroy it. Unfortunately, we both had met the abomination some ways back in a small town near here. It had killed all the tavern patrons, save for us two." Evadne became saddened once more, her light dimming as she thought of all those lost, poor souls. They did not deserve to die like that. It wasn't their time... A tear slowly formed in one eye, before dropping down to the ground, yet it was not a normal tear. It gave off both warmth and a yellow light as it hit the ground, sparkling before fading out completely as it became one with the earth beneath.

The Flameling looked back up at the other fiery being. "We seek allies to help us in this cause. Erin here has volunteered himself for this quest, of which I am most grateful. However, the more of us there are on our side, the better this world's chances of survival. I will not see another world and its people obliterated, as it did with the last one. They never stood a chance..." she whispered. Another tear formed in her eye and fell just like the last one did, yet this one sparked a tiny bit of flame on the ground, but was quickly put out by the dirt around it.

Her resolve strengthened as her eyes became ablaze in determination, the glow around her brightening to becoming almost blinding. "It won't happen again. I am here to make sure of it."

Blaze Enderman

The entire inn. On a night like this, that would be around twenty or thirty people, maybe more. Thirty souls, devoured by evil. The death of so many, and Evadne's tears made his flames burn hotter with his anger. Breifly he lost his concentration on keeping his aura in check, and it flared wildly. The weird grey light mixed with Evadne pure light, causing bright spots or holy power to flicker in and out of existence. The rock under him glowed bright red, and the grass scorched around it. The air seemed to quiver in rage as Blaze's temper roared.

Blaze realized what he had done and quickly recalled the light he had made, putting a stricter hold on it. The rock stopped glowing and his flames died down as his temper was reeled back in.

After a few more seconds, He trusted himself to speak again.

"I seek the darkness as well, and aim to end it. I will gladly join your cause, Evadne," He said softly. He was embarrassed that he had lost his temper in front of the creature of pure light, and exposing his true identity. He tried hard to suppress the darkness in him, because every time he let it loose, the farther he spiraled into it. Blaze had more Darkness in him than he liked to admit, and rarely did to himself.

His temper was not the darkness being released, but it could lead to it. But the Flameling's calming light calmed him down much more quickly then usual, and his flames returned to their normal state as the last bit of rage was replaced by determination, determination to rid this world of evil.

Ethereal-Star

Evadne's determination matched Blaze's temper in its intensity at that moment. The Star promised herself she would do everything in her power to stop the vileness that was out there. Not knowing what the end results would be, but try she would. She would never forgive herself if she did not.

She was only mildly alarmed at the surge of darkness that she felt coming from the other being, but it did not entirely surprise her. Evadne knew it was there after all. Many beings and peoples, save for stars, angels and some others, all possessed some darkness in them. It was a normal thing she had learned, both while in her timeless home of beauty while watching the life below her live and die as the years passed, and while traveling to many different worlds in her current form. What mattered in the end was how they chose to deal with that darkness, whether they found a way to tame and accept it, or let it utterly consume them in its entirety. That is what ultimately determined one's character in the long-run.

Some peoples, humans especially had more of this darkness in them than others, but truly evil beings were normally spawned from a place of such vile negative energies and heaviness, so much so it was overwhelming. Some mortals called it Hell, some referred to it as Purgatory, others as Oblivion or Limbo. One world she had been to even called it 'Ahavah Negeden' otherwise known as 'The Opposite of Love'. And it was everything that Evadne was not. There were few beings of this sort that the Flameling had met, as she tried her best to stay away from such sorts whenever she could.

Memories of an earlier time on the world of Gaia flooded her mind as she recalled the dark necromancer demoncraft wielder she had come across. He had wanted her heart, the heart of a Star so he could gain certain powers and longevity that were not meant to be his. He tampered with forces he shouldn't have. Evadne recalled his attempts at such, and the poor villagers who had suffered for it when she refused to obey. Reluctantly, she had gone with him so no more would be hurt. It was a trying time and the Star did not remember those moments fondly at all for he had almost won. After that, she had taken to the sky again, to return home as she wished not to stay any longer there.

Sighing heavily, she smiled at the other fire being as he said he would gladly join their cause, as he too sought to end its reign of terror. "I am glad." she said, still smiling. She was relieved as well, for he would prove to be a powerful ally. And they needed all the help they could get. This world was counting on their success, the very earth and sky spoke so in quiet murmurs of hope and need.

Evadne closed her eyes then, a moment of peace that she spent in Star-Prayer, before she opened her eyes again.

Blaze Enderman

Blaze poked at the fire with his hands, deep in thought. They needed a plan if they were to succeed in this quest. Blaze had  taken down many evil creatures, but he had seen few creatures so full of hatred and darkness as the one he had sensed earlier. Because of that, he was glad that he, Evadne, and the Geomancer all shared the same goal: defeating this thing would not be easy alone.

"Where are we heading, and what for?" Blaze asked, still playing with the coals of the now dying fire. He whispered a word and the fire flared again.

Tags: