Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Modern Language vs. Old-Fashioned Speech

Started by Ethereal-Star, February 11, 2015, 01:26:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ethereal-Star

Okay, this had occurred to me and I'm sure it has with others too, this topic most likely being brought up from time to time in fantasy/medieval settings. That is modern speech being used in a medievalish world. Obviously we wouldn't hear talk such as 'get with the program, man!' 'Or lighten up, dude!' or 'Wassup bro?' and etc. etc. So I offer up this humble discussion to encourage others to try to tone down their modern usage of slang, colloquialisms, acronyms and the like while speaking in-character for SotE and other similar settings that incorporate fantasy. RotE on the other hand, go wild and make new ones up, since that one is a futuristic society anyhoo and therefore does not apply here.

Now I am by no means whatsoever, asking you guys to go pick up a textbook on Old English and study it to death. Heck no. I wouldn't even do that myself.  ::) Just try to minimize modern speech when speaking IC in the various threads here. That's all. Of course, maybe I am over thinking this and this subject isn't even important. Whatever. Just food for thought to ponder on.

Rhindeer

This is one of those things that I leave completely up to the preferences of, well...everyone! 8D

SotE isn't medieval Europe or even our world, so the people there would have developed their own expressions. I know I use some "modern" things, like I've had character say, "Bite me!" or "Wow, that sucks..."

I think I've even had someone say "S'up?" before, lololol. But I guess what I'm saying is that since SotE is set in a completely made up world, hey, who's to say that such "modern" slang isn't current for them, since they would have developed their own languages and stuff differently? Their world isn't a direct reflection of ours, and probably wouldn't develop in the same way, so hey! Sure, some things make less sense, like, say...referencing a tank when there aren't any tanks and other such anachronisms. But I'm not gonna worry over a slip-up! But heck, the characters in SotE aren't even speaking English, or any of the languages on Earth, since those don't exist! We just suspend disbelief.

So I think this is one of those "go by your own preferences" things. If someone wants to use more old-timey language, toootally! But it's not required.

I think people are pretty good about keeping things pretty setting-appropriate from what I've seen, though! But yeah, it's sorta wibbly wobbly and flexible since SotE is in a made-up world loooosely based around a medieval time period with a tooon (so, so many tons) of creative liberties taken. xD
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

Ethereal-Star

You're completely right Rhi. I guess I was just being too nit picky/over thinking stuff/etc. It was one of those things that came to mind and thought it might be something that others had also considered or thought important, but regardless it doesn't matter. Thanks for the response anyways.