Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Home, Smelly Home. [M] [Glob!]

Started by Rhindeer, March 17, 2015, 01:15:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rhindeer

"You've been very lucky, then!" Mei said with a nod, glad for the scarf around her nose and mouth and trying not to think about what she was covered in.

"But I still don't see why you'd want to live down here! It's unbearable and dark and roaches! Ah, anyway, yes! I'm staying at an inn! It's not actually far from here...I don't think. I'm afraid I'm a bit discombobulated! I'm not really sure how far I walked, to be honest, or even how long I've been down here!"
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

DaGlobster

"Oh, well in that case, I'm gonna need a bath, too. Warm water helps jog my memory, actually. Fun fact."

Daersen made it a point to avoid the question of "Why?" as they traveled back out into the tunnels. He stopped to peer around every corner, always cautious. Eventually, they arrived at the corridor covered in roaches.

With a cough from Daersen, the roaches on the right wall parted, revealing a grate on hinges, with another, considerably tighter tunnel beyond.

"This'll take us up to the surface."

Rhindeer

Mei stared into the smaller, more claustrophobic tunnel, and grimaced. She had no issues with tight, closed in spaces, having grown up in the Temple and spent most of her time indoors, cloistered away; in general, she was rather fearless, just because she was oblivious to all the things she should fear. No, her grimace was because it was filthy, and because in order to go through it, she'd have to crawl.

"Oh...gross..." she said, but even so, she wanted out of here! So she paused and rolled her pant legs up to her upper thighs, then slid into the tunnel with a shudder.

"Oh, this is so gross!"
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

DaGlobster

"Sorry to tell you, but this is the quickest way in and out of my place," Daersen said, silently enjoying the view as Mei climbed in ahead of him.

"Now, you're going to make a left one you hit a fork, and there's gonna be some handholds to climb up and into an alley. Got it?"

Rhindeer

"OOF!"

...That would be the fork in the tunnel. Mei bumped into it with her face, and got a nice smear of something on her, blessedly contained to the scarf she wore. Still, she gagged, the stench now on the protective cloth, and she turned to the left.

And this time, she felt out ahead of her before she proceeded.

"That would be the fork. Alright, handholds, handholds...Inima, it's dark in here!"

DaGlobster

Daersen groaned.

"Shouldn't be that hard to see, there's some light that comes in from the hole cover," he said, impatiently tapping his hands on the ground.

Rhindeer

Looking up at the ceiling, Mei soon saw he was right. There it was, the light from the grate above, and when she felt around along the wall, her fingers brushed over the handholds.

"Ah! There we are!" she said, and cautious rose to her feet before positioning her hands and feet on them. Eager to leave this stinky pit, she began to ascend, carefully because it was slippery.

DaGlobster

"Careful. Stones are loose around here."

Daersen began ascending behind her, despertately hoping she wouldn't fall. Slipping and falling onto the filthy cobblestone would definitely lead to a scrape.

An easily infected, filthy scrape.

Rhindeer

No sooner had Daersen spoke when Mei's foothold gave out and she slipped with a gasp, though she was still clinging to the wall with her hands and other foot.

"Ah! Don't say things like that!" she yelped. "Saying things like that just makes it come true! Don't you know that?"

DaGlobster

"No, saying things like that warns you," Daersen said.

Jeesh, he was normally a kind and charitable guy, but this trespasser here was starting to grate. It figured, really. Only Daersen could have a crappy day, only to come back and find a thanati scholar poking around his house.

Rhindeer

Taking a deep breath, Mei once again began to climb. "Well...that, too," she relented, before, finally, fresh air hit her face as she reached the top. Lifting her arm, she pushed against the grate and found it was deceptively heavy, and it took a lot of grunting and shoving before she moved it aside.

With another grunt, and hauled herself up and through the opening, flopping out onto cobblestones. "AIR!"

DaGlobster

Daersen poked his head up after her, glancing about. He pulled himself up, crouched slightly. It was approaching nightfall, and Daersen was naturally paranoid about being out on the streets at this time.

He nudged Mei's belly with the tip of his boot.

"Come on, let's get going. Lead the way to your inn."

Rhindeer

"Oh, ick! Don't do that! You have things on your boot!" Mei said as she rolled away and climbed to her feet.

Adjusting her soiled clothes, she grimaced. "I look a sight. Let's hope the innkeeper doesn't shoo us away when he sees us! Though my things are already in the room. Hmmm..."

Lips pursed, she looked around. "I don't actually recognize this area. Do you know where the Nipping Nag is?"

DaGlobster

"Nipping nag..."

Daersen crossed his arms, wracking his brains.

"Uh...Yeah! Actually, I do. Begged on the corner of that building a couple days ago. It's in my usual neighborhood," Daersen said. He peeked out of the alleyway, mentally bracing himself.

"Come on. Make it quick, too. I don't like being out on the streets at this hour," he whispered before he got going.

Rhindeer

"I'm coming, I'm coming!" Mei said, moving closer to the man. "But you'll have to show me the way. I entered the sewer from a completely different location, and as you may have surmised, I'm really not at all familiar with this city! So I'm all turned around, I'm afraid, and this place has no rhyme or reason! Not at all like Suna, where things make far more sense and the layout's far more intuitive--wait."

She gave him an odd look, then glanced at the darkening sky. "What's wrong with being out now?"

DaGlobster

Daersen spun about, placing a finger over his mouth to tell her to shut up. He glanced around, before he resumed walking at a brisk pace.

"It's not safe at night. Kia, were you born yesterday?" He asked, shaking his head. "It's when all the criminals are out."

Rhindeer

"I was actually born eighteen years ago," Mei said, though she had lowered her voice as she fell into stride beside him.

"Are the criminals here all so bold? I daresay I can hardly tell the difference between criminals and common folk! They're all so moody and prone to violence. I wonder if the men that chased me were criminals or just angry people? If they were criminals, it might make a little more sense. I did get the feeling I was in a bad part of town, but it's hard to gauge! Suna is significantly safer. Or perhaps those are my own cultural biases speaking. I've been trying to take a more objective view of things for better accuracy but alas, I'm human."

DaGlobster

"Shut it!"

Daersen looked back at her.

"Do you always talk so much?"

Rhindeer

Mei jumped at his sudden snapping, her eyes going wide as a deer's.

"...I...yes?"

DaGlobster

"Okay, well..."

Shit, she owned up to it...

"Don't, okay? Please, I've had a long day. Try to keep it under two sentences, alright?"