Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

An 'Ice Man' Tale for the Ages!

Started by Zero, April 12, 2015, 07:34:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zero

Well wasn't today just full of fun surprises! Elysia squawked when her hair was suddenly grabbed, hissing as the ends were frosted over by his exploring fingers. This guy had no personal space awareness did he? "H-hey! Let go, you're messing it up more than it already is! Plus that's cold!"

Lion

Inyavin's blanched and pulled his hands away.  "I am sorry!" he said quickly, feeling his cheeks tingle with what warmth his body could muster.  But embarrassment was more figurative than literal and he pulled his hands away anyway.  "But your hair," he continued.  "It's such a odd color. How do you get it to be so? Does your mother Kia also have blue hair?"

Like to kill mages?  Join the Order!
The Order of St. Agratha

Help Rebuild Connlaoth from the ashes of war!
The Red Legion

Jump in the water's fine!
Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"Life is a series of dogs." -George Carlin
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

Zero

"What do you mean how do I get it to be this color? This is the color it always is. My dad's is almost the same, his is just a little darker though." Elysia tried to smooth her hair back down into some semblance of order, but only managed to further her static problem, causing individual hairs to rise in a blue halo of sorts. "And my mom's name isn't Kia. Her name's Amara. Kia is a deity. People pray to deities for wishes and good luck and that sort of thing. Not that I'm sure praying makes much of a difference, but it makes some people feel better."

Lion

He was fascinated by the color of her hair and despite trying to keep his hands to himself, his fingers were itching to dance in their entanglements.  Oh the strange things she said, he found himself wanting to know more.  There was so much more in this world that he did not know!  It seemed so big and daunting all at the same time.

"You 'pray' but it doesn't make a difference?" he asked, caught off guard from his excitement for a moment.  "What do people pray to deities for, if they will do nothing?  And you do not trust these deities?  Curious things from people so far away!  Oh it's all fascinating.  I want to know everything!"

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

Zero

"Well some people think that gods and goddesses do answer prayers. Some people find praying makes them feel better. I'm probably not the best person to try to explain it. I never was hugely big into all the praying and church stuff." Elysia rubbed the back of her head with an exasperated sigh. She wasn't sure what she'd expected from the Ice Man if she'd met him, which she hadn't expected to, but this was probably weirder than some of the things she'd have come up with.

It was then her eyes wandered to him again, causing her face to heat up and turn red again as she jerked her eyes away. "Inyavin, wasn't it? Yeah, I don't know about how you were raised and all, but could you maybe put some clothes on or at least cover up? Where I'm from men don't tend to run around naked in front of women all willy-nilly."

She said willy. Elysia giggle-snorted before clapping a hand over he mouth and trying to suppress her highly immature little guffaw.

Lion

He hadn't realized his nakedness offended her!

"Oh!  Clothes!  Yes!  I have those!"  Inyavin wasted no time rushing toward the back of his homey little cave and retrieving trousers and throwing them onto his legs.  They were a thick leathery material, walrus perhaps, and stitched with a thick thread that ran up the sides of his legs.  He even threw on a tunic, a nice, thickly embroidered garment that snuggled around his body comfortably.

These were odd things, and felt equally unnatural and perfectly comfortable.  However, it would not do to offend his new guest.  He returned and sat down beside her, grinning widely, a bit manically even and he even offered her tea, something to warm her bones after nearly getting mauled twice.  It was the least he could do.

"You sound like you come from a very interesting, if confusing world, and yet you ventured all the way out here.  Why?  Do you just really like the cold?  Or is it the wild life?"

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Zero

Elysia blinked as he ran off towards the back end of the cave. Did he really already have clothes? Why the heck hadn't he been wearing them? Then again, the guy looked like his whole body was about to frost over, so she guessed the Ice Man just liked the cold. He lived in a good place then, she supposed.

While he threw on some clothes, she found a place to sit, figuring she might as well make herself comfortable. Who knew when she'd actually be able to leave. At the very least, she knew getting a bit warmed up first was in order. No way would Elysia last out there without a break. Living so far south of here, where it was a lot warmer probably made her all soft and wimpy to the people up here, but hey, it was what it was.

"Tea sounds nice, thanks." She made a slight face at Inyavin's questions. "I can honestly say I haven't been real thrilled with the cold or the wildlife. I came because I'm a bard. I sing and tell stories to people to entertain them. Coming here was an adventure, and I wanted to learn the songs and stories from the people in Hyoite. Then of course there was the story of you that got me all the way out this way, when I probably should have turned back south instead."

Lion

He blinked at her response, bobbing his head back a little bit.  "You came all the way out here because of me?" he asked, as if he didn't hear her right.  He examined his body, to think such stories could spread so quickly, so far, and in such a span of time was fascinating.  This bard thing intrigued him.  Were there all sorts of stories being traded all the time between peoples?

"Wow," he breathed, face thoroughly open and child-like.  "Could you take me there?  To the sooth.  Or, um, Sooow-uuuuth?  South?  Oh, I'd love to see it.  I want to see it all!  Could you make me a bard?"

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Zero

Well when the Ice Man was real and kind of like a regular person(kinda) it did seem a bit weird to Elysia. She was supposed to be chasing down a legend, not this strange, childish man. How was she to know this is what she'd find? Ah well, it was still going to make a pretty interesting story! Especially the naked bear wrestling - her audiences were bound to get a hoot out of that!

"Wait what?" Did he just ask if she could take him south? Sweet gods above he did. "Well, uh...I wasn't really planning on taking anybody with me when I left this frozen deathtrap! I mean, you could go south if you wanted. I actually recommend it, but not into Connlaoth, you should probably go around that place like I do, what with you being Mr. Frosty and all! Serendipity is real nice, though. That's where I'm from."

Lion

His face grew drawn at her reply and he looked down at his feet for a moment, and then back to the fire.  "Why not?" he murmured.  "I don't understand.  Did I do something wrong?  Is the tea not hot enough?  I can fix that!"

He moved back to the stove and took the kettle from it and poured more into the cup.  A bit too much was poured in and overflowed, spilling hot water onto her hands.  "Oh! I'm so sorry!"

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Zero

Elysia looked at Inyavin rather...dumbfoundedly. She truly was struggling with the 'this guy doesn't really think like a normal person' thing. He seemed to panic a little, as if trying to right some invisible thing he'd done wrong. "Hey, you didn't do anything wro-"

The tea overflowed in his haste and she yelped lightly, jumping up and dropped the entire cup, shaking the hot tea off her hands, or trying too. Her pale skin was splotched with some pinker flesh where it had burned her just a little. "Sweet mother, just stop!"

She took a deep breath, trying to regain her composure, and maybe a little control of the situation! "It's okay! It was just an accident, okay? I'm alright!" She waved her hands at him. "See? No harm done."

Lion

Inyavin just stared at her wide-eyed like a child that had spilled the milk and was trying to drink it up.  He did stop, and slowly put the kettle down on the ground.  When he did, he picked up the tea cup and held them gingerly in his hands, the outside frosting over and the inside steaming out what water remained.

"I...I am sorry.  I didn't realize I was so bumbling," he murmured and shook his head.  "I guess, I ...I got overexcited with the fact that I have some company to entertain.  I've...never had a guest over before.  The villagers, though they were kind, never wished to stay for long."  He sighed through flared nostrils, steam emerging from them as they would from a person short of air in the deep of winter.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Zero

Elysia immediately felt bad. The poor guy looked kind of like a kicked puppy. A gigantic, frosty kicked puppy, but still. Her hands flailed slightly and she stepped closer to lightly put her little warm(in comparison) hands over his cold big ones. "Hey, it's okay. Really. You're not bumbling, just...not super graceful, you know? Just look at me, I'm about the most ungraceful person I know! So...don't feel bad? Please?"

For this supposedly formidable, giant Ice Man, Inyavin was turning out to be more like a little kid trapped in a grown man's body. Not that Elysia didn't think he was formidable, the guy had wrested a bear with his bare hands, saving her life, for sure. "I didn't mean to hurt your feelings or anything. It just isn't every day someone asks if they can travel with you, but you know what? You can tag along with me when I go back south, okay? I'm sure having along a guy that can wrestle a polar bear will come in handy."

Well...it was true. Plus she really did feel bad for upsetting him after he had saved her life and everything. She kind of owed him one.

Lion

[Yes she does!  What a meanie! D:]

At her own hands, seeing them over his made his face brighten considerably and he looked up at Elysia with starlight twinkling in his eyes.  "Oh!?  OH!  Yes, I'd love to come.  Thank you.  You won't regret this!"

Well, she might.

"I won't be in the way, I promise."

Well, he might.

"But we'll have lots of fun.  And it'll be safer for the both of us probably.  I can't imagine traveling alone.  I won't get you into trouble."

Well, he probably would.  But not intentionally!

"And it's okay, you didn't hurt my feelings.  I was more worried that I hurt your feelings.  I wouldn't ever dream of doing such a thing to a guest in my home.  So...when are we leaving?"  And he beamed at her with extreme enthusiasm.  His wolf however, growled, not quite so enthusiastic.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Zero

"Nah, you didn't hurt my feelings." Oh she was already beginning to regret the decision to let him come with her. Elysia gave him a weak smile before rubbing her face with her hands. At least his heart was in the right place? Hopefully his enthusiasm was infectious! That or it went away.

The sound of growling made her jump and she looked over at the wolf warily. "Um, yeah, this is going to be great, but uh...we're not leaving now. That whole almost getting eaten by a bear thing kind of wore me out." She wondered how long he would follow her, and how far. He was bound to find a distraction to focus on at some point that would have him forget all about traveling with her, right? The world was a big place with lots of neat stuff, so yeah, he would totally find someone else to latch on to!

Feeling better with the idea that eventually Inyavin would get bored of her and find someone else to focus his child-like enthusiasm on, she hummed softly. "Well, so I guess we'll start moving tomorrow. I have been traveling to the different camps all over to learn new songs and stories, but I've been gone from home for a while, so I think starting south back to Serendipity might be a pretty good idea."

Lion

It was entirely possible that Inyavin might find himself inadvertently attached to someone else.  In his enthusiasm, he hadn't realized that his growing fondness for Elysia may simply be due to the fact that this was the longest he'd ever interacted with anyone over an extended period of time.  A few conversations here and there in passing weren't enough to sate his need for social contact.

But here someone came, looking for him of all people.  And he would savor that.

"I don't have much to take with me.  But in the mean time, please, be comfortable.  And don't mind the wolf.  She just doesn't like strangers."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Zero

"She tried to eat me. I tend to mind things that do that." Elysia huffed, crossing her arms and throwing a glare at the vicious beast. Oh gods above, a thought struck her. "We're not taking it with us are we?"

Having a childish giant ice man following her around like a lost puppy was one thing, but having an actual wolf following him while following her didn't sound like a good idea. What if the wolf tried to eat her while she slept?!

Lion

"Oh Shiran?" Inyavin said gesturing to the wolf and the wild canine shuffled closer to him, sitting properly and allowing her fluffy neck to be pet.  She was poofy in her winter coat and even laid down with her head propped onto Inyavin's lap.

"I understand your point.  She is just very possessive.  And protective of that which she considers to be hers," he explained.  "But she'll be good, I promise.  I found her when she was just a pup and raised her myself.  The villagers helped me of course, but they didn't recommend rearing a wolf.  But I wouldn't let her just die out in the tundra all alone.  Her mother was killed by a hunter, and they found no other pups.  Perhaps she's a reject from an omega.  Normally the alphas kill any other wolves in their pack that breed.  Only alphas are allowed to breed."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Zero

"Yeah. You say she'll be good. Really. Tried. To. Eat. Me." Elysia huffed, giving a very mistrustful glare at the beast before looking up at Inyavin with a sigh and rubbing the back of her neck.

"I mean, I can feel bad for a little wolf pup all orphaned and alone, but I'm not sure how people will like you taking her into town or anything. They don't mind dogs usually, but she's not a dog, and I really don't think we can pass her as one either. People are gonna notice she's a freaking wolf."

Perhaps she and the animal had gotten off on the wrong foot. Maybe they would warm up to each other? That didn't solve the issue of people freaking out if a wolf strolled into town with them! It might be alright up here in Hyoite. Maybe. In Serendipity she didn't think it would fly well. "If we go into town do you think we could leave her out on her own somewhere? Just until we leave again, I mean."

Lion

"Hmm," Inyavin gave the notion some thought.  He really didn't want to leave his wolf behind.  She was a good pup, loyal and even loving.  And perhaps just a tad over protective.  He leaned in and murmured something in her ear.

The dog made a clearly grumpy sound, but a few scritches behind the ears made her whine and soon she shuffled forth along her belly, ears down and even wagging her tail, giving a few conciliatory sniffs to Elysia.  And held a paw out toward her leg, gently nudging for pets.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Tags: