Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Predetermined Futures

Started by Laraine, July 01, 2015, 01:19:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Laraine

Things just didn't seem to be going her way today. It was bad enough when she entered a tavern right in the middle of the most intense bar fight she had experienced to date. But when a random pitcher of beer flew and hit her and doused her with the foul stuff, she figured that this day would probably turn into one of those days.

Granted, Raine wasn't one who had good luck in her life. After all, she was born as a demon witch hybrid with her Demonic family trying to track her down to murder her. They had already been the cause of death of her friends and family....and her boyfriend. So it seemed wherever she went, death followed.

Still, despite all her problems she tried to remain positive. As positive as possible, since she made that promise to Danny before he died.

So after the incident with the bar brawl, she then made her way to the job boards spread out around town trying to find a bandit to capture or something that would give her a decent payday. She was tired of camping out, sleeping with one eye open and worrying that every corner she turned she would find another family member, pointing a sword at her throat.

However, there wasn't much progress and she was finding that today just was getting worse. Being shoved into a open door and tripping over random stones on the road were also annoyances to her day she didn't need. So, after a while she just decided to go some place to eat and hopefully nothing bad would happen there.

So as she sat down at the bar, she ordered a turkey leg and some alcohol. Not beer though, she already smelled like the stuff. She didn't need any more in her system.

She clutched at the hood of her cloak that hid her pink hair and pulled it more up so none could notice it. Her amethyst eyes glancing about her at the people and wondering how long she would be allowed to remain there until her family found her.

SilmeriaElemred

Kayden had spent most of his day in the library again. Which was an odd place to find anyone like him in considering he was even more blind then a mole. Keeping the wraps of fabric over his eyes did not make it seem any less weird. But people let him be.

In truth Kayden could read things indirectly but it took long and was exhausting. It was when his stomach rumbled he decided to call it a day and head to the nearest inn to grab something to eat and drink.

The moment he touched the door of the inn he usually went too however he froze. Blood. And not a little bit of it either. It had been a long time since one of his visions actually left a bit of a headache.

He entered the inn and 'looked' around. There were many people. He saw them all in his mind as he walked barefooted. There was no empty seat left that would not end up in a barbrawl. All but the table a girl sat on. ''Excuse me. Can I sit here please.'' he asked Raine. It was true with his shoeless feet, simple clothing, walking staff and his eyes covered he did kind of seem like a simple blind guy. And that was also how he usually showed himself. Until a fight started anyway.

Laraine

Blinking, Raine turned the man who was asking to sit next to her, she covered her face a bit with her hood until she noticed the man....appeared to be blind. At least thats what she assumed with his eyes covered as they were. She blinked a bit and swallowed. "Ah sure, go ahead." She said with a slight smile even if he couldn't see it.

She turned back as her food arrived and tried not to look at him. She was nervous enough as it was. She didn't want anyone finding her.

But sure enough, her luck wasn't to last. The door to the tavern slammed open and instantly Raine's eyes shot to it. There, standing before the now silent bar was a cloaked man, smirking.

Raine's veins became ice. That power....it couldn't have been. They couldn't have found her already!

The man revealed his hood to reveal cropped pink hair and blazing red eyes. "Dear bar patrons." His voice was laced with demonic energy. "I do believe there is a demon among you...a fugitive...if you don't hand her over...I will be forced to eliminate..this entire establishment."

Raine slowly began to reach down to her belt, heart pounding wildly.

SilmeriaElemred

Kayden listened for a moment before he got on his feet. ''The entire establishment. Aren't you crafty.'' he said calmly before getting on his feet. There are not a lot of women in this inn, he knew. ''Before we are all pointing fingers to save our own skins. What has she done exactly. I mean if you are going to kill us then we at the least deserve to know why?''

He was calm, suprisingly and walked a full circle around the demon that had just entered. Using his staff to lean upon and his feet to make sure he did not get to close. His own steps sweeped a little and with the staff did as he finished making a perfect circle. Despite his way of walking had not indicated he did such. ''Forgive me.'' he said with a chuckle just out of reach. ''Me as... a lowly human asking questions. How do you plan of taking everyone down though. Especially since... being stuck in a magic circle that saps your strength, incapable of getting out until someone damages it or banishes you out... seems to make your situation a little less easy.'' he smiled.

Not all was true, it was not a written circle of runemagic and it would hold the demon a few minutes tops. But that was all the time he needed.

Laraine

Raine was shocked when the man next to her suddenly stood up and started to talk and walk around her cousin.

The demon male just watched this blind man circle him with disinterest. That is until he heard that the other made a circle to trap him in. He tested it and frowned a bit before speaking. He couldn't move, that didn't mean he couldn't speak. "And what do you care? This is a demon, it obviously needs to be dealt with its own kind. Although if you must know..she killed her parents and her lover. Her power is dangerous to humans and demons alike."

Gritting her teeth, Raine tried to force herself not to speak. Yet she couldn't help the whisper that erupted from her mouth. "Liar.."

"You'd do well young man, to stay out of our business..if you think I came alone..." he smirked, leaving that sentence out there for Kayden to ponder over.

"All I need to activate one signal and they will swarm this place.. killing everyone....how about that little Rainey? Are you going to be a coward? Or give yourself up and spare these miserable people their lives."

Raine clenched her fists and bit her lip, trying hard not to be noticed but realizing that it may be too late.

SilmeriaElemred

''That is assuming I give you the chance to actually do that'' Kayden said and tapped the floor with his staff. ''The fun thing of rune magic, is that is old and forgotten. I am not killing you because of the consequences but I think...'' The circle lit up and the marks slowly spun around. ''I think you need some time to cool off.'' there was no way he could send the demon that far away to where ice floated on the water.

''Dajo nim min serathin'' he muttered. A pillar of light rose up from the symbol and when gone, so was the demon.

He then turned towards the stunned people and bowed. ''Apolagies, we are rehearsing a play but he takes it a bit to seriously.'' He without a pardon then placed two coins on the table that would suffice for what Raine had ordered and grabbed her hand. ''We need to go. I drew the circle from the dust so it is not as powerfull as normal.'' he whispered. ''He is far away enough for you to get away. But I need you to do one thing and that is thinking of happy things. Fearing you might be found, is often what can draw a hunter to what he wants.''

Laraine

Raine yelped a bit when the other grasped her hand and began to drag her out. She quickly got her footing and followed him out, at first in a daze at what just happened. Then she shook her head and glanced up at the man who was leading her away. Finally his last words began to process and for now she decided to listen to him. He didn't seem such a bad guy after all. He had sent that demon a distance away and seemed to almost put his life in danger to save her. Instantly visions of Danny flashed in her mind and she smiled slightly. Remembering her lost love, the way he was with that bright smile and tender touch. She closed her eyes for a second and reopened them.

Slowly she began to match his pace, thinking of her love and trying not to think of anything bad. Often thinking of him always brought her back to life. Especially since that promise she made to him. She never looked back. "Well so where are we off to my savior?" She teased. "It isn't everyday I meet a man who knows his magical arts after all." She chuckled. Not wanting to bring the demon back up, she decided to ask him more when it was safe.

SilmeriaElemred

Before fully running off Kayden drew a symbol on the porch of the inn and on the door. No demon would get in there.

''Working on that.'' Kayden replied. Eventually finding a positive outcome. Not everything was fully written what he predicted but surely saved more lives then he would ever be able to remember.

''I hope that demon enjoys pigs though... With a fully powered circle I would have had sent him to the ice caps but an abandoned pig farm sounded more manageable. Especially since those pigs still walk around the area and if I did it well he ended up in their manure-mud pool.'' He lead Raine to a hay shed at the outskirts of the town. It was a bit in disrepair but still standing strong. ''Sorry for the rats..'' he said as he closed the door behind them. Panting slightly. But did not allow himself to rest until he drew another circle. It was not a banishing one since he knew it would affect Raine as well. Instead if would notify him if another demon got close. ''I should stock up on charcoal..'' he muttered before looking at Raine. Well looking. More like directing his face in her direction.

''Before you ask, yes I am indeed blind. I wear the cloth because my eyes tend to freak people out. But I have the gift of future sight by touching things directly or indirectly. Which is how I can sortoff see. Hence, no shoes.''

Laraine

Raine couldn't help but giggle as the other talked about pigs. Grinning she was glad that the other sent her cousin there. But once they reached their destination, Raine admired their surroundings and hummed. "Lovely.." She blinked, turning to the stranger and once he explained himself she blinked. Tilting her head a little, she gazed at him more intently and pondered about what to say.

"Well anyway thank you for saving me back there." She said, slowly lowering her hood. She felt more at ease with him since he wouldn't have a bad reaction to her strangely colored hair and eyes. It wasn't every day people saw purple eyes and pink hair after all. "My names Raine....I can't help but wonder why you did save me though." She wondered. "I wouldn't want to put a burden on you.."

She glanced down a bit at this and crossed her arms across her chest, looking forlorn.

SilmeriaElemred

''I usually eat or drink something at that inn. When I touched the door I saw everything covered in blood so I used my Seer magic to find out a way to prevent it.'' it was then he dropped backwards on the hard floor. He did land softly enough.

His nose was not bleeding, perhaps something else was. He then felt his shoulder become warmer and moist. ''I think I overdid it a little..'' he said with a chuckle. Looking through so many positive futures, and also the circle he made at the bar, had a few outcomes where the demon noticed what he was doing. Something he had to made sure to avoid. ''Also... you are not placing a burden on me. I'm already a cursed man. I can be blown to bits and say hello a few hours later.'' despite he smiled, it was not a happy thing to experience.

''My name, is Kayden Galwyn.'' he said finally introducing himself as well. He for now had to allow himself to indeed be blind. But smiled as through his surroundings he could see how Raine looked like.

''As for why saving you...'' true he could just kept it at saving the patrons. ''You already suffered enough I'm sure. I can help you more if you wish, after I regenerated a little. The words of thinking about happy things though, still counts.''

Laraine

Raine turned as he spoke and nodded a bit. "Yes, well thank you for saving me." She said with a nod. She wasn't sure if she believed the other when he said he could be blown to bits and back to normal in a few hours but she had to admit, this man was certainly different than the ones she had known before. Although he seemed a bit similar to Danny....His personality anyways...although it felt as if this man himself, Kayden had his own share of pain.

But she wondered if she was just looking too deeply into it and hummed with a small smile. Brushing a hand through her long locks she slowly sat down as well. "I'm not sure, I don't want to trouble you at all with my burdens. I've lost a lot of good friends...even someone I very deeply cared about to.....my family." She shrugged a bit and looked to the side. 'I wouldn't mind the help...but..I guess I'm just scared of letting people get too close." She chuckled a bit. "Theres so much of death someone can take after all.."

SilmeriaElemred

''I can understand that.'' Kayden said. ''Living for between 900 and a thousand years... I can not say I enjoyed a lot of it. But it are the happy memories that count. They make sure that everyone still lives in your heart.'' he said and realised he may have said something bad. ''Sorry... I hope I did not say anything inappropiate..'' he said before taking a deep breath. ''Well I could help without us getting close, but I am horrible at acting like a complete jerk.'' he said with a smile

''How well can you bandage wounds?... My overuse of magic tore my shoulder open...'' he admitted.

Sooner or later Raine would have noticed it anyway. And dying from an infected wound was slow and painfull.

Laraine

Raine smiled gently at him. "No you are right....I knew someone...who had the same outlook. He'd always see the light within any darkness." She chuckled. "He saw the light in me..and I'll never forget that.." She spaced out a bit, remembering him before blinking and noticing that the other was indeed hurt and her eyes widened. "Oh dear! I'm so sorry! let me help with that!"

She quickly gathered some of her own medical supplies she had used on herself and started to help bandage him. Wrapping it around his wound she became lost in thought again. Trying to figure out where she could go next.

SilmeriaElemred

''Living for as long as we do... we need to see all the good we can. If we do not we lose ourselves.'' Kayden spoke softly. ''If we lose that bit of light in our hearts, we become monsters.''

It was not easy to bandage it as it was almost torn open till the bone. Certainly, that was not convenient. But eventually the job got done.

''You have two options... I either stick with you and find a way where you perhaps can find peace in your life, or I give you, all the information I have regardling numberous amounts of possible futures and confuse you. I need to wait a bit until I actually really can get a look at what outcomes there are for you. And how to get there. Personally to me... I think you could use a friend and someone who can stand watch while you sleep. But it is your life and I may not really be an easy person to be around with sometimes.''

Laraine

Raine blinked at the others words and looked to the side as she finished bandaging him up. She hummed and pulled away a little pondering her options.

"Unfortunately I think peace is a long road ahead." She chuckled. "My entire demonic family hates me and wants me dead. I am a mixed race so they don't take kindly to that. And it is a large demonic family at that...." She sighed and shrugged. "Even if you do stick around.. it'd be at least many years before that peace can be accomplished... I'm not sure if you want to stick around that long. After all, I'm not a easy person to be around either.." She chuckled, remembering Danny's expression for her sometimes.

SilmeriaElemred

''A month or a few years is not a lot to someone who lived over 500.'' Kayden assured.

''Even if it takes me 10 years. If you reach a place or life where your family can not reach you, it would be worth it. Maybe it is usefull to teach you a little bit of magic from where I came from. Demonslaying, Godslaying and Dragonslaying magic was not really unheard off there.'' he admitted.

''And would you grow tired of me for a while we could always temporarily part ways if I am certain you are safe.''

Laraine

Raine was obviously surprised at how long Kayden had actually lived. She tilted her head a bit, more curious now about this strange person she had gotten herself mixed up with. "I still don't know why you are helping someone who is a complete stranger to you." She shrugged, crossing her arms across her chest. "Everyone I know wants to help others to a point. But most of the people who have tried to help me either are dead, or have fled for their lives." She hummed a bit.

But he was different, and she wondered why. Still, though she didn't want to pry in case there was something he didn't want to talk about. She knew that feeling all too well. So she left the question in her head unspoken and unanswered.

"I guess, we should stick around here for a bit until we can think of some place safer to stay." She said, pondering what they should do next. "Oh, if there's anything you want to ask me.. feel free. I'll try to answer all I can."

SilmeriaElemred

''I tend to have a problem of being hated by death so I think I'm good.'' Kayden jestered. ''Sorry to hear though about your losses. Of course if you have anything you want to ask me ask ahead. I am a man of little secrets.''

His gaze went to the door. ''The sigil on the door will tell us if anybody regarding demons is closing in on us. I think I can pull it off to transport us both if the situation requires it. I'd rather not though, since it could turn out messy so let us just do that as last resort. As long as you do not emit anything regarding fear of what they will do to you or me, I think we should be alright for a bit.''

He took a sitting meditation pose. The faster he could regenerate, the better. Even he knew this place could not keep them forever and truth be told he now regretted never telling his feathery friend that given time he would return from death even ashes. She had his books now. Meaning if he were to teach Raine anything he would litterly have to draw circles she then needed to copy.

''How well are you with drawing.'' he asked.

Laraine

"Drawing?" Raine tilted her head slightly to one side and curiously glanced at him. "I suppose I'm alright at it. Why?" She wondered, inching a bit closer to the other. She had to admit she was curious about the other, more so than other people she had met on her travels. But now was probably not the time nor the place to discuss past lives.

For now she just wanted to focus on getting out of there and she knew that would take a while to accomplish in the state they were in. Her own magic was rather limited in what it could do. Especially in tight corners such as these. "As for questions. For now I'll refrain until we get out of this mess or at least until we have a solid escape plain squared away." She grinned a bit.

SilmeriaElemred

''I kind of do not have the books anymore. But I could teach you some Rune and circle magic. My anscestors will now all roll in their watery graves but teaching you a few should be alright.''

He paused, before his voice grew serious. ''Do mind this. It is really, powerful magic. Place down a rune wrong and things will get messy. If it are circles, it needs to be perfectly round. If it is a square, the lines need to be straight. It is hard to master. But it will save you often. I can teach you how to banish like I did. Traps to hold demons in. Even how you can destroy something. Or sometone by drawing the thing on the surface of an object or a person's clothes. But you will need to promise me to never use it on innocent or defenseless people.'' he paused again to let everything sink in.

''Not to scare you. But if you agree to it, you will receive runes I place on your ribs, magically of course. I will not hurt. It will make sure under any circumstance, nobody else will know of it. One other person knows this magic other then me. I made her promise the same. This magic is not for everyone.'' he sounded serious. Which he also had to be if keeping this magic so secluded meant these kinds of measures.