Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Not all Gifts are a blessing (Laraine)

Started by SilmeriaElemred, July 01, 2015, 01:23:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SilmeriaElemred

Kayden had been in La'marri for already a while. Sought out every book available in the hope it held answers to his own curse but no luck. Living forever in the way he did, sucked to say the least but he was happy that he had been able to help people as well.

He sat outside on the soft sands at the beach holding an unusual feather in his hands before releasing a deep sigh. Nothing. He knew that setting the thing ablaze with the proper incantation would let her find him but would she believe it?She after all had seen him quartered, die like a normal person would and then she had burned him. Truth be told he had hoped it would be the end of him but no. Before he knew it he was breathing again and she had already left. He should have had told her. But her knowing about his condition, it would not have given him the fun times he shared with his friend phoenix.

He tucked the feather away and grabbed his thick walking stick before he froze. A vision. Again. And one not so pleasant.

Automaticly he looked more into it, tempting fate as it were by looking for specific outcomes. ''Well. Was not planning on dying until meeting Silly again anyway..'' he removed the sand from his pants and started walking. People had been used to him by now, able to walk around broken glass on the pavement or not stepping into filth. But this time he seemed to walk with purpose. And he had a purpse; finding the girl his vision showed.

Laraine

"You do realize Echo that you just wasted one of your elements on a drunk man, right?" Loki giggled, floating above the young female who simply rolled her eyes in response.

"It wasn't my fault Loki, I dunno how that guy figured out I was a girl.." She frowned, glancing at her body. She looked more like a 12 year old than 16. She also wore mens clothes and cut off her hair, the once red locks now were short and dyed black. Black to prove she was no longer the girl from her past.

Now she was different. That girl died that day, now she was Echo. Echo Void. The one driven by revenge for the death of her family. She wouldn't stop until she destroyed them all. No matter how many years it took. She glanced up at the one who had given her life. Loki, the deity of the elements. He was a tricky thing, often joking about and teasing her every chance he got. Despite his obviously young features he was a very old god. Eyes the shade of gold and long pearl white hair pulled back in a loose ponytail. Draped in gold and white he seemed to be symbol of divinity. Although, knowing him personally sometimes grated on her nerves.

She could only handle the tricks and threats so much. But, he was her savior...and he was the one giving her this chance. So she bowed her head, and continued on. Walking through the streets, head held high and azure eyes darting about her. She had asked around a bit, if anyone heard about the group of killers she was hunting.

With a name like God Slayers, the group wasn't one known for their anonymity after all. So she continued to ask around until the sun was starting to set, feeling frustrated that she couldn't find much information on those killers. Grasping at at the strap on her bag, she frowned and turned away, walking towards a pawn shop, hoping to pawn off some items from her old town and get some more money to live off of.

SilmeriaElemred

It did not happen often Kayden bumped into someone. And perhaps it was a little on purpose. As Echo wanted to enter, he was about to exit the shop. He had sold things he would not miss and bought a few things he most likely did not even need. But the door which had to be pushed from the outside and pulled from the inside to open, hit him in the face causing him to stumble a bit backwards and fall on the ground.

''Oh sorry about that.'' he said to Echo. ''My bad. I should have listened more carefully to make sure nobody was on the other side.

He knew damn well the door was about to be opened and basicly allowed this to happen to himself on purpose.

Laraine

Echo opened the door to accidentally bump into a man. She quickly balanced herself and stared up at the obviously blind man. She quickly stepped aside and said, "Oh don't worry. I'm fine so its okay." She said, waiting for the other to leave so she could step inside. Loki, invisible to most humans snickered and Echo rolled her eyes once more at the god.

"Hmmm, what a interesting fellow." Loki hummed, staring at Kayden intently. There was something about this human that was different, and suddenly he saw it and chuckled loudly. "Oh that's rich...poor human."

"Loki!" Echo hissed a bit, although she knew that most humans couldn't see or hear the god, it was still rude to her. "Um, I'm sorry.. I have to go..." She turned to leave, worried that she now sounded like a strange person talking to themselves.

SilmeriaElemred

''Human huh... not so sure about that.'' Kayden said with a smile as he attempted to get up''Can you at least help me up first before you dash away like a cat in the night? Or the fellow you are with'' Kayden asked with a chuckle. He got up slightly. His staff was not in reach. He did not nessesarily needed the thing although he pretended to his surroundings he did. It was after all easy to give someone a proper beating with it if needed.

Laraine

"Oh, right sorry!" Echo reached over and helped the other to his feet a little hesitantly. She looked a little shocked as she realized that he had seen or at least heard Loki.

Loki himself was smiling widely and continued to float there, just watching.

"I'm... sorry about Loki.....how can you hear him though?" She wondered. "Humans, shouldn't be able to see or hear him..." Glancing at the man curiously, she helped him find his staff.

SilmeriaElemred

''Well, I am blind but not deaf.'' Kayden said with a smile.

The only reason he could see him though was simply because Echo goed and the surroundings he used to read the echo of sound with. But the hearing? He would figure out sooner or later, or perhaps not at alll.

After echo returned his staff, he smiled and thanked her shaking her hand after finding it. He normally would grab a hand right away but he wanted to keep his abilities hidden for now. The vision confirmed though it was indeed this girl his vision had shown him. A few visions immediatly popped into his head. Various ways of how her day could end.Either good or bad.

He leaned in closer. ''Not to threat you...but there are people after you. Several assassins. Do not take a stroll on the beach...'' that was where his first vision started. ''When you head to the place you sleep, take the detour. Hide behind the ale barrels, do not leave till after one minute of them passing the corner. Give the beggar a silver or gold coin. Then head left. Hide in the crate and count to 15. Then head to the inn you stay in. Go upstairs, softly. Do NOT open the door, wait for about 30 seconds and head downstairs instead, saying that there are already people sleeping in the bed. Accept the backroom from the two choices you receive. Then wait till the next morning with leaving your bed untill the innkeeper knocks at your door. He will offer coffee. Anyone who say they have tea, do not respond or open the door.'' he paused briefly.

''That is how you will survive today.'' if all went well anyway.

Laraine

Echo blinked at the other and when he spoke, she looked at him oddly at first. What was he going on about? Loki just smirked and raised a eyebrow, noticing his charges expression and chuckling. "I Do wonder who you pissed off to gain that curse." He hummed and placed a hand on Echo's shoulder. "Don't worry dear Echo, he's not a crazy man. He's got the sight after all."

Echo thought about this for a second. "You can see the future?" She asked, frowning. "That's...is that even possible?"

"Asks the girl with powers over the elements to the god." Loki teased.

She sighed. "True.." She turned to the man once more, frowning a bit. "Why should I trust you? Your a complete stranger after all." She huffed, turning from him. "How do I know you weren't sent here to trick me?"

SilmeriaElemred

''You do not.'' Kayden replied simply. ''Also. If I had pissed someone off I must have been a horrible kid. I can basicly do this since I was born. I understand you have no reason to trust me but strangers helping another stranger is not something that bad. I hate bloodshedding. Also you and Loki over there were once strangers too.'' he replied simply.

''Also think of this, why would I recommend you not doing that little beach stroll. These people know you. To bad for them they do not know me. They are not the ones you are looking for though.''

Laraine

Instantly Echo was on alert when the other mentioned that they weren't the ones she was looking for. She took a step back, wondering how he knew that. He was right, although Loki was less a stranger to her.....

He was a god after all, one that had ruled over her village. "How is it you know the ones I seek? Do you know where they are?" Echo asked, eyeing the other more wearily.

Loki was still smirking though. "I think it'd be fun to try it. Test his skills wouldn't you say Echo?" He chuckled.

Echo averted her eyes. "If its what my lord desires."

"Good girl!" Loki clapped his hands. "Well skip the stroll but maybe we can skip one or few of those other warnings he gave you and test it out! After all, there's nothing my little girl here can't accomplish... she's rather hard to kill boy." He hummed and crossed his arms.

SilmeriaElemred

''But her power is limited as well.And the assassins know it'' Kayden replied calmly.

''There are four she encounters who are not as badly affected by her magic, two are immune and...'' he paused. She did not have to hear they would do horrible things to her before cutting her open like a pig for slaughter.

''.. They end up killing her horribly. There are mages among them. Why I know they are not who you seek? In my visions you said those words when you were cornered. That they had to step aside. Those you seek, I can find.''

''Will you two stick in the dooropening the rest of the day or take the talk to an inn..'' the shopkeeper said slightly irritated.

''Sorry about that.'' Kayden replied and gave the man a bow as apolagy and stepped outside. ''My directions give a full victimless outcome. But if you wish to test it, just be ready for the consequences.''

Laraine

Now Echo looked a little uncomfortable. This man seemed to know a lot more than a normal human and frankly...she felt well..exposed. She was used to being tough and keeping her secrets. Now it seemed as if this guy was slamming into her walls and she didn't like it.

But she had to admit, the fact that these men he saw wouldn't be affected by her magic well terrified her. Since she had the power of the elements, a ancient god power she wondered if they had some kind of godly powers too. It was rare and even more unnerving that something like that was after her.

"Loki...I think.."

Loki eyed her briefly, his eyes glowing and she instantly became silent and averted her eyes. Loki's own gaze turned thoughtfully towards the man. It was true, some of the other gods weren't exactly happy that he had given a mortal gifts. So it wasn't entirely possible that they'd come after him and her. But he couldn't see other gods giving mortals gifts that would cancel out a power of the god.

"So you say these people have the power to cancel out powers of a god?" Loki chuckled. "Excuse me if I am a bit skeptical." They had walked a far piece and Echo was on alert, gazing around her intently and wondering if something would jump out.

"It's true that Echo is limited in the use of her gift, but they are no more less effective than the power a god uses." he hums and floats next to them both.

"But you yourself say you can find the God Slayers for little Echo here? She's been searching for them for a long time." Loki turned back to Echo and pat her head gently. "She's been a very good girl."

SilmeriaElemred

Kayden smiled at Loki's remark. ''I come from a place where magic was even more advanced then here until it was sunk into the sea. There was dragonslaying magic. Demonslaying magic. And Godslaying magic. You are sceptical because you think all of that magic is lost. Rather lost, it is unreachable and unless more then me survived, me and a dear friend of mine are the only ones who can actually read the tablets of my people. Since it is a dead language. Also. Nothing can enter those sunken ruins. Outsiders die.'' he paused.

''These assassins, know most likely of Echo's gift. Hence they sent these. As for who Echo seeks. I can find them for her. If she wishes to resume her vengeful path, or wants my help to even begin with. But let her get to safety first.''

They almost reached the way for the detour. ''What will it be Echo. Follow my exact orders so nobody gets hurt, or do you want to risk and see if I am right.''

Laraine

Echo eyed Loki a bit after Kayden asked her what they should do. Loki simply smirked at her and she knew it was alright to speak her mind right then. Opening her mouth, she summoned up the courage. "I think..I don't want to waste my time on petty fights." She huffed, crossing her arms and Loki let out a loud laugh.

"I expected something like that from my little firecracker!" Loki's reference to Echo's once bright red hair, now dyed black made her roll her eyes.

"Look if you know something about the God Slayers, fine I'll follow along for now. But its not because I believe you or anything about those assassins." She muttered, obviously being stubborn and not admitting her own weakness or worry.

"Let's go then! Remind me of those directions."

Loki smirked and glanced to Kayden with a chuckle before following Echo.

SilmeriaElemred

''Very well.'' Kayden said. For a moment he touched Echo's shoulder.

Regardless of him being there or not, the future would be same at this path. Well. Other then the risk of him getting a hole in his chest. Now that would have some explaining to do if he'd knock on Echo's door the following day.

''Around the corner, are ale barrels. Hide behind them and wait a good minute after they crossed the corner. I will resume walking and join me again after giving the beggar this coin.'' he slipped a gold coin in the girl's pocket. Pretend to guide me as 'helpless' blind man until I give you the other directions.

Laraine

Echo nodded and proceeded to walk around the corner and when she spotted said barrels she quickly hid behind them and waited exactly a minute. She stood up and gave the beggar the coin he gave her and quickly started to catch up to Kayden.

"Hello there sir would you like some assistance?" She asked and gently started to guide Kayden down the street, rather curious of what was going to happen next. 

SilmeriaElemred

When Echo had been hiding behind the barrels, indeed some shady people passed it.

After Kayden spoke about accepting and thanking for her assistence several others entered the alleyway. Talking to the beggar, asking if he had seen a girl with Echo's posture. The man pondered briefly and then rather then pointing them her way he spoke about having seen one heading out of the alley a few minutes prior.

Kayden simply smiled. He liked it when a plan worked. Since it was not a hundred percent reliable. Everything could change in the blink of an eye.

After turning left, Kayden paused for a very brief moment. ''Hide in the crate.'' he whispered pointing to a few crates one of them being half open. ''Rather then counting to fifteen I will let you know when you can get out safely by tapping my staff twice.''

They were rather close to the inn she stayed at but Kayden was going to tempt fate a little. After Echo was in the crate and out of sight he shuffled a bit further. Until he stopped. Two people in front of him. A woman with her hair combed mostly to one side and the rest shaven off, and a man with an ugly round face full of scars and tattoos. They gave off a weird vibe for sure.

He allowed himself to bump into the woman.
''Watch where you're walking idiot..'' the woman said but then noticed the bandages around his head.

''Apolagies Mi-lady'' Kayden. ''If I could see I would've surely walked around you.'' he bowed politely. ''You do not happen to know where the market is do you?'' he asked.''I am kind of lost.''

''Why. Looking for something to make you look pretty?'' the man hissed. ''Olga we have no time for this. Let's find the girl. The others do not seem to be lucky. ''

The woman nodded. ''Get help from someone else little sewerrat.'' she said to him a as the man bumped hard against his shoulder as they passed him. The woman however gave him a few silver coins. ''Here. Buy yourself some shoes or something. Before you step in glass and get some necrotic decease.'' she muttered and joined her partner. Kayden thanked her like a normal person would and watched them go. It was longer then 15 seconds after them passing the corner though until he tapped the staff twice on the pavement.

Laraine

Echo waited in the crate while Loki floated around outside, watching the scene unfold. He was quite curious as things happened and even chuckled at Kayden's weak and feeble act. It was amusing to him and he couldn't help but laugh at it. Echo herself remained silent, listening to the words that were spoken outside and when she heard the taps she quickly but cautiously opened the lid of the crate and stepped up.

Loki still held his side in laughter, but that quickly faded and he gave Kayden another smirk. "Very interesting.."

Echo frowned a bit, glancing around herself and then to Kayden once more. "Well where to next?" She asked. She wanted to be safe for now. If those people were as dangerous as the other said, then she needed to hide for the time being and wondered why they were after her to begin with. 

SilmeriaElemred

''The inn. Remember, not your own room. Do not even open it. Just wait a bit before going back downstairs with the words to the innkeeper there was someone already in your room, sleeping and that you wish for another. You will get two choices. Choose for the back room. It will be safe there till at least morning. Someone should knock on your door, offering coffee. Do not respond to those who offer tea. Just need to think of a way for you to eat.''

He offered her his arm. ''Come. Before they come back.''

Laraine

Echo nodded to the others words and she swallowed a bit, glancing to the road and then taking his arm and then leading them back to her inn.

It took a little while and Echo was pretty quiet about it. Once they reached the inn she glanced to him and nodded steeling herself. She turned to him and nodded a bit. "Well, here it goes.."

She quickly went back to her room, stared at the door for a few minutes and walked back downstairs to tell the inn keeper that someone was in her room. From the choices he gave her, she chose the back room and quickly went inside, closing and locking the door. Her heart was pounding and she wondered if someone would try to kill her if she slept.

So she didn't sleep a lot during the night. And suddenly someone knocked on her door, offering tea. She bristled and didn't answer at all, keeping her mouth shut.

But a while later, someone knocked, offering coffee, she let out a sigh of relief and opened the door.