Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

The Lioness and the Longknife

Started by Rhindeer, July 29, 2015, 09:11:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rhindeer

Yasmin blinked at that. "It's that well known?"

The news was...well, news to her! But Yasmin didn't actually know much about the outside world. All she knew was Essyrn, and half of her life was lost to slavery. What she knew of the outside world she learned from others, and it wasn't much.

The moment passed, though, and she frowned at his next words and rolled her eyes. "Of course they do. That's why brutes like Vetger do so well. There's a surprising amount of rich people who love blood but have never raised a sword themselves. It's sick."
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

DaGlobster

"Vetger," Juras repeated, a snide look on his face as he gently shook his head.

"Always kissing up to the fightmasters to get the big fights. I met his type in Thanatos, and in my old mercenary company."

He gave Yasmin a sidelong look.

"I'd like to get on the sands with him. Knock that stupid gold tooth right down his throat..."

Rhindeer

"I'm sure he'd love that," Yasmin said with a growl. Her fight with the man had been recent, and it had left her sickened and shaken. It was a large part of why she had been so angry with Juras; she had assumed they were cut from the same cloth. Bastardly celebrity gladiators...

"In any case, uhm...I appreciate your cooperation. You know, about the whole...guard schematic thing. To be honest, I'm not really sure what I'm doing. I just know I can't do this anymore. Whatever it takes."
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

DaGlobster

[Ah, awkward. I thought this "Vetger" fella was just a randomly named NPC and so I played along. Whoopsie doopsie.]

Juras nodded, and he let himself rest back. Sitting next to her on her bed, he scooched down so he could rest his head in his hands against her cell wall, letting his legs stretch out a bit. He yawned gently. He looked at her, giving her an appraising sort of look. Like her next words mattered to him.

"You all by yourself in this? I appreciate what you're trying to do, but if you're working on your own..."

He smirked.

"Handsome half-elf gladiators don't count, of course. I'm talking in general."

Rhindeer

[It's okay dude! xD]

Yasmin snorted at that. "Of course. Generally speaking, well, uh..." She frowned and glanced off to the side, idly tapping fingers on her knee.

"There were others. But we...kind of got split up. Nature of the beast and all. Slaves get sold. I don't know where they are anymore, or what they're doing, or if they're even okay. If they're even still here. If they are, I know they'd still be working on this. Somehow. I just..."

She heaved a frustrated sigh and looked back over at Juras. "It's hard to organize shit here. Everyone's scared--I'm scared--and you don't know who you can trust or whose gonna throw you to the lions. Most people are less afraid of the lions than they are of getting caught talking about things they shouldn't be." She shook her head. "I know it's stupid. I know I'm in way over my head. I know all this talk is probably just one big, stupid dream. But at least it feels like something. I don't know. I don't know what the fuck I'm doing."

DaGlobster

Juras listened intently, placing his hands together on his stomach. His eyes drifted to the ceiling as she spoke.

He thought about her words after she spoke. It reminded him about the words that sold him on the mercenary life. About how his old commander had talked about the dream, and how that dream was enough to get a young, purposeless Juras into a uniform and holding a sword.

"Well," Juras started sitting back up. He paused then, meeting Yasmin's eyes with his own. He spoke after a few seconds.

"You're honest. I'll give you that much. The plan itself could use some work, though," he said, a grin forming on his face. He offered her his hand.

"You don't have to be by yourself on this anymore. I'm just a single man, but you've got me, at least."

Rhindeer

"Hey, that's one more person than I had before," Yasmin said with a lopsided smile. "Now it's all about figuring out how to make this more than just talk—and live to enact the plan."

Her smile turned sheepish. "That's where I'm stumped. But I guess it's like they say, Essyrn wasn't built in one day and all that."

DaGlobster

Juras nodded along as she spoke.

"It wasn't. And it wasn't built by two people, either..." He added, and stood from her bed. He stretched his arms and turned back to her.

"I should be going. The paymaster's going to wonder why I'm so late if I stick around here for too long."

Rhindeer

"Oh...yeah. Probably a good idea,  before anyone decides to walk by here," Yasmin said, fighting to keep a twinge of disappointment from her voice. She didn't truly believe she would see him again,  not really. And there was no bitterness in that. It was just a fact of life at this point, something she was used to and expected. Friendships just didn't happen—and it was probably for the best.

"Well, uh...thanks. For the chat and stuff. It was fun! And thanks for not being the jerk I thought you were," she added with a wry grin. "See you around?"

It didn't stop her hoping for change, though.

DaGlobster

Juras gave her a nod and a grin, although it was closer to a warm smile. Less facade and more genuine warmth.

"Well, you've only known me a day or so, I've been known to be a jerk at times," he said. He stood from her bed and made a few non-committal steps towards her door. He was hesitant to leave, that much was true.

"But I'll see you around, Yasmin. If you ever feel like finding me, I'm usually in the training chambers in the afternoon," he said, and with one last wink and smile her way, he left. He made his way towards the paymaster's office, a hustle in his step to make up for his lateness.

He caught a bit of lip from him for making him wait, but he was on his way home soon enough.

Tags: