Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

The Whisper of wings

Started by Jelenis Tythe, October 10, 2015, 04:57:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jelenis Tythe

In the dead of night there was a shooting star, the purest most silver streak across the sky, only the odd few saw it and some heralded it as an omen, some said it was nothing more than a dying star and made a wish on its descent.

In a small copse of trees outside the town a figure rose from where it had landed, as it stood proud and tall, wings would be seen, large black wings, folded and disappeared.  The armour the figure wore melted away and became clothes, plain, unassuming, but there was nothing unassuming about this tall figure, nor the sword at their side.  They walked out of the trees into the moonlight and a man was revealed in the pale light.  He was handsome, well built with jet black hair and eyes the colour of silvery starlight.  He wore black breeches and boots, a black shirt over which sat a black tunic threaded with silver and covering him over was a long black woollen cloak.

He started towards the town...it was the last known location of where his sister Arina had been along with her Nephilim offspring.  He would seek the truth of her passing and in doing so find the boy...he needed to be seen... to be judged...whether he could be taught or was too much like his demon father.

Jelenis Tythe

On entering the town the first thing that struck the Angelic was the stench, it was only something that one like himself might smell, the scent of Humans, misery, pain, and debauchery. There was noise coming from the end of the street, an inn...perhaps someone there might remember Arina.

Alorin was not fond of Humans at the best of times, he found them lacking in many of the better qualities other races possessed. The only thing that he considered worse than a Human was a Demon and he smelled their kind here too. The Demon scent was strong in all areas of the town alongside something else as yet unidentifiable.

He shook his head, and started to walk towards the Inn, his steps firm and steady, providing these Humans were not too drunk or fornicating too voraciously perhaps he might get some answers.

Jelenis Tythe

He pushed open the inn door to have his nostrils assailed by the smell of alcohol, Humans and tobacco smoke, not necessarily in that order.  The candles had burned low making the place dim and hazy and in some dark corners there were people slumped asleep, up stairs his sensitive hearing picked up sounds of carnal desire, moaning and groaning and creaking beds.  Alorin closed his eyes momentarily a look of disgust shadowing across his face.

He stepped within the establishment and walked towards the bar, his hand resting on his sword.  Why would Arina have ever come to a place such as this town.  How could she have mated and married that piece of demon filth...worse still had a child with him?

He reached the expanse of stained wood that served as their counter top and looked about.

Who in this god forsaken hole would have information?

Parkway

Opaas had just finished his mug of ale.  His blue eyes searched the room and he raised his mug to indicate another please.  He place the mug down and scooped his loose chestnut brown hair into a ponytail.  His pale skin illuminated by the glow of the candles.  He stood tall and was well toned.  He had a bow slung over his back and two swords on either hip.

He leaned with his back to the bar and appeared to just be watching the room.  The barmaid Ingrid told him to wait so there he was at the bar when this man with a disdainful expression approached and looked about.  He could relate.  How in the hell had his parents ever let his sister go was still beyond his comprehension.  From what he gathered this Lord Hernon was a brute. 

He had caught up with his parents a few weeks ago in La'marri.  He had not seen his family in over six years but they did correspond through letters.  They never mentioned That after the first month of Flori going to Lord Hernon that she stopped writing.  They lied to him in their own worry.  When they tried to get her back he showed a false document and said if they tried to take her back he would have her killed.  They did the only thing they thought they could and left without their daughter.  Now that he knew of the real situation he was too late apparently some unknown noblemen bought her for a night of pleasure.  He made a disgusted face, his poor sister.  Then left with her.  The Lord found butchered.  But they were here so Flori was not a suspect but the noblemen she was with and another whom also just disappeared was.  They even had words here.

He looked for the barmaid, he need to know what she had seen that night and he wasn't going anywhere until he found out.

Jelenis Tythe

Alorin looked about for someone that might be in charge of this hole so he might ask his questions and leave.  His eyes moved to take in a gentlemen further up the bar, looking more alert than most. He tilted his head in greeting and approached the fellow.

"Good eve Sir....are you from this place....I am searching for information." He said his tone somewhat icy and steely.

"My sister died in this place and I search for her son."

He hoped this man might know rather than having to question the half drunk locals.  He seemed of a worthy nature the Angelic could sense that much about him, an Elven too which made him superior to Humans too.  It seemed that he might also have a purpose at being in this place, not one suited to his ilk.

"The boy would be eighteen years of age....dark hair....grey eyes?"

Parkway

Opaas watched the man approach.  He held himself in such a way that Opaas had to wonder what he was doing here.  He didn't have to wait long it turned out. 

He listened to the man and from what he had gathered from those he had spoken to a boy fitting that description disappeared about the time his sister did.  He sensed the man wasn't here on any other pretense and thus decided to tell him what he knew and why he was here.

"Evening, names Opaas."  He nodded the man's tone did not offset him in the least.  "I may have some information.  Let me tell you what I know.  Turns out I too am in search of someone dear to me."  He shifted.

"I am looking for my sister her name is Flori and she was being held by a man named Lord Hernon, whom happened to trick my parents into signing a false document handing her over.  She was enslaved by him these last five years.  Turns out he wasn't above to selling her out for the night."  His voice full of disgust and contempt as he spat out the statement.  "To a man no one had seen here before."  He went into describe the nobleman.  "It was told to me a young man followed them into Lord Hernon's home but the next time he was seen was here by that barmaid."  He pointed to Igrid.  "So I am awaiting to hear what she has to say as she let the room to the noble and was last to see the young lad whom fits the description of the one you look for." 

He then told him of the story he was told by the stable master who had been present for the words between two nobles with one slapping the other.  While his sister was at the foot of the one.  He began to tell him he thought something more was involved but he just wasn't sure.

By now his ale was replenished.  "If you care to stick around maybe we can find out some more as to what happened here." 

Jelenis Tythe

Alorin listened to the man's words and the description of the so called angry nobleman was not unknown to him, nor the one he had argued with.  He had crossed paths with both in his time, their being here definitely had something to do with the boy.

"I will stay and hear what has to be said." He said finally after listening to everything.

"But the description of these so called noblemen are not unknown to me....the one that hit the other is known as Belisarius, a Demon General....the other one if the description is correct goes by the name of Sabre...a Demon prince."

Alorin's hand move to caress the pommel of the blade at his side.

"If your sister was with Sabre....then she is his by now....wholly and unreservedly." He said matter of factly.

"And likely the one or both of the demons and your sister have knowledge of the boy I seek."

Parkway

His words sunk in and Opaas covered his eyes.  Poor Flori.  He rubbed his eyes. Now she was in very real danger.  In the grip of a demon.  And a demon Prince.  Damn why didn't his parents tell him sooner.

Letting his hand fall.  "None the less I will still look for her.  Demons?  What manner is this young man?  A halfling of human and demon mixed?" He asked.

This was going to be much harder than he first anticipated but his sister deserved to be free.  "Yes stay.  We may be able to figure this out.  I will not leave her in the hands of a demon."  He looked at the man and shook his head.  "I mean no disrespect of the one you look for.  Just my sister has not had such a good hand dealt to her and while I am not a wholly religious elf I want her to have something better."

Jelenis Tythe

Alorin gave a wry smile at the elf's confession, being an Angelic he was always concerned over people's faith, but this elf was not his concern right now....that would be the boy.  He was in two minds whether to speak of the boy's true heritage but he did, he was not one for lying.

"The boy is a Nephilim." He said coolly.

"The blood of a Demon and an Angelic run in his veins...he is a danger, a creature that straddles two bloodlines of immense power, he could choose to be what he wants but he can be corrupted, his power turned to darkness very easily and if Demons have him then it is a true danger."

He stared down at the floor and thought about the girl in all of this, if Sabre had both of them then who knows what might happen.

"I hunt the Nephilim...he is to be tested...to ascertain whether he might be saved."

He regarded the elf most levelly.

"You know that that the girl will not want to leave the Demon...likely they will be lovers....if she is still with him.  Though a Demon Sabre is skilled in the art of love, he uses it to bring people to him...and once they are...the thought of leaving him is more than they can bear! In the end...they truly do love him."

Parkway

Opaas face tightened the more Alorin spoke.  This was grave news to hear.  "And if this demon...Sabre as you call him.  If he was to be defeated, would it break the hold over her? ..... Better still can it be defeated?"  The last part was said more to himself.

He now had much to consider.  It appeared his sister was in the grips of a demon and a powerful one at that.  This Nephilim was not his to worry over but, if the demon had them both he'd rather this fellow at his side.  His sister may not come willingly but if the demon was destroyed perhaps she could rebuild her life.

The barmaid Ingrid came over to them and introduced herself.  She then explained what she witnessed the night Sabre had brought Flori in.  But, she of course did not know his name she just referred to him as a noblemen.  She did mention how Flori's dress seemed to change before her eyes.  And how an older noblemen came in and exchanged words.  It turned out that he and another man had brought in a young boy whom had been beaten.  She didn't see them come in but did bring fresh linens and water to them.  The young man had very dark hair and he was slight of figure.  The next day FLori had asked which room they were in and Ingrid told her.  The next thing she knew they were all gone.  All the noblemen, Flori, and the young man.

Jelenis Tythe

Alorin wished he could offer the elf better news.

"The hold will not be broken...not if she doesn't want it to be...if he is killed then she will pine for him....day in and day out until she wastes away to nothing."

They both listened to what the bargirl had to say, it seemed Sabre had wooed this girl with things she had been denied, lush gowns, wine and flattery.  Then came the news about the boy, it seemed the description fit and he had been beaten? Obviously the young man could easily defend himself against such if the need arose but he had not which meant his power was untapped as yet.

"They all disappeared.....all of them?" He said quietly, the trail would go cold again.

"There is the stench of Demon all over this town...at least one of them remains somewhere....but where?"

Parkway

Opaas just closed his eyes.  How unfortunate for his sister.  She had been in such dire need of a tender hand and the first to offer her it was a demon.  He still needed to go to her.  Find her and make sure there was nothing he could do to change her mind.

Once Ingrid was done she excused herself and went to tend the customers.

"You can smell them? "  He looked over at the man.  "Will the scent grow when you happen upon them?"  He knew how to hunt so maybe his sense of smell was at a different level.  "I was going to head over to this Lord Hernon's place.  You are welcome to come.  Not sure what we will find but for me I need to check it out as Flori spent five long harsh years there."  He drank the remaining Ale and put some coin on the bar.  He headed for the door.  His thoughts wondered on where they could have gone.

Jelenis Tythe

Alorin nodded.

"A reasonable place to begin...if the demon blood is close I will be able to scent them." He said coldly.

The Angelic followed the man towards the door, the strange metallic scent of copper following in his wake, any that knew Angelic lore would know that the scent of copper in the air was a sign that the Angelic was truly angry and that it was rising by the moment.

They headed towards a building not far from the Inn and the smell of Demon grew stronger by the moment, the scent of Sulphur and something else.  Alorin paused briefly outside, the scent was overwhelming.

"Here...in here...this place of Lord Hernon's that you spoke of!" He growled softly, his hand reaching for his sword and drawing the longsword whose blade seemed to shimmer with an almost violet hue.

Parkway

They approached and the man next to him seemed to immediately detect the foe.  He watched as he drew his weapon and without hesitation Opaas did as well. 

His sword was like none he had ever witnessed and had it not been for the situation he would have loved to inspect and admire such a tool.   But as it was he could not and tried the door handle.  It was not locked and he pushed the inward. 

They stayed at the ready but nothing came flying at them so they entered cautiously.  Opaas whispered.  "I am going to check out his shop Flori would have kept notes and such.  If I find anything on your boy I will bring it to your attention."  He slowly headed for the crafting shop hoping to find a clue as to where this demon took her.

Jelenis Tythe

Alorin nodded as the elf went inside but he had a purpose of his own to undertake, if anyone would know what happened to Arina and subsequently her abomination son it would be one or more of the demons he scented.  As his companion rifled through the papers and drawers he headed towards a set of stairs that led downwards, the smell was so very strong....it or they were here in the cellar.

Slowly he went down the stairs and into a room where there were herbs and jars of all kinds but none could mask the smell.  Over in a corner under some sacking there was something....something out of place.  Alorin hooked the sacking with his blade which fairly shone almost like a star now and as they material dislodged he found a triangle of mirrors tied together and the backs were daubed with demonic runes.

He frowned.

Demon trap.....why would they be held here?  Who had the knowledge and power to do that?

"Down here!" He shouted to the elf upstairs.

"I might have some answers."

Parkway

Her handwriting was all over.  But nothing personal.  He knew it had to be around.  She would have kept a book of her potions and poisons.  Yet just scraps of paper.  He saw a well-used apron and he touched it.  She probably wore it he mused.  Silently he apologized to her for not coming sooner. 

He looked through some more papers and found so more of his sister's handwriting.  Not anything powerful but she did draw an image of Lord Hernon and put a huge X over his face.  He crumpled the paper tightly in his fist.  If the man hadn't been killed he surly would have pierced his heart with his own blade.

Opaas heard the angelic man and hurried down the stairs.  "What is it?"

Jelenis Tythe

Alorin regarded the mirrors with grim determination.

"Trapped Demons!" He said as the elf joined him downstairs, he pointed to the mirrors.

"Now I can let them free and they may offer advice on our two missing persons, then I can banish them, letting them keep their miserable lives if they are co-operative." He said in a steely tone.

"Or they may choose to fight and we are going to have a real problem on our hands...I can take one...but there is more than one in there and you are not equip for demon slaying."

He tilted his head.

"I suppose I should ask them what they choose....what do you think?"

Normally Alorin would have no hesitation and he would destroy what was ever inside that trap, he could take two but he did not need this man to know that.

Parkway

He stood and listened quietly.  He mulled over what the man before him said and thought for the briefest of moments.

"Normally I would think just destroying them would be my best guest.  But, you are right to say I am not equipped as I have never had to face things such as this.  It begs me to wonder if the Gods are now testing my resolve.  Maybe show me the light.  But, that is not of concern.  My only concern are the two we are looking for.  Where my sister corrupted by a foulness that I may never free her from and your Nephilim are out there with something that was able to trick them both.  Unfortunately we need them.  As much as I hate to admit it.  Please ask and see what this gets us."

He never let his voice falter. 

Jelenis Tythe

Alorin nodded he placed his sword against one of the mirrors and spoke.

"I scent you in the Belisarius...trapped with another and you know my voice and of what I am capable, I have the power to free you from this confinement but you have information that I seek...will you share it or will you fight?"

He tilted his head as if listening and in his head he heard the foul demonic speech.

"He will talk...him and the one with him...both are raging to get Sabre for doing this to them...it is unheard of a demon trapping his own kind." He said to the elf.

Slowly he cut the cords which held the mirrors together and an inky black seeped out and coalesced into a tall heavy set black haired man and a slighter one with red hair.

"Alorin!" Bel hissed.

"Why are you here?"

The Angelic held up his sword which shone like the brightest star.

"Tell us of Sabre, the boy, and the young woman Belisarius!" He said coldly.

The tale came out about Sabre trying to seduce Jelenis as he was called., not succeeding and turning his attentions to a girl who fell so easily to his charms.  Sabre and the girl had wanted Jelenis and stolen him trapping them in this village.

Alorin turned to the elf.

"Best ask your questions whilst they are playing nicely." He said.

Parkway

Opaas had stood there watching.  In all his 200 years never had he beheld such a site.  It was the things the elders told of in high tales of make believe.  Yet here he stood witnessing with his own eyes the sights of which he was sure if he repeated his mercenary friends would laugh at him.  He would be told to quit the ale.

The one demon called him Alorin, and he was able to keep the demons under control.  Got them to speak so when he was offered a chance he gladly accepted.

Nodding at Alorin but speaking to the two.  "This young women was she of elven decent?  Tell me if you can what she looked like.  If you knew what he called her by?"

Tags: