Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

A Warrior, a Healer, and an Accidental Adventure [Midnight] [Archive]

Started by DragonSong, October 31, 2015, 05:40:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DragonSong

Dusk glanced around. Four walls, a roof, a bed, and a small washbasin in the corner. It definitely could have been worse. "Yes," she agreed. She rummaged around in her pack for a moment before emerging victorious with a small vial in hand. "I assume you're staying the night?" she asked softly, hesitantly sitting next to him on the bed and once again taking his hand in her own. "That is...it seems rather late if you were planning on taking to the road again...not that travelling late is a bad thing- I mean, if you prefer it-"

She was babbling. She snapped her mouth shut and focused on spreading the salve over his knuckles, blushing scarlet.

Nightmare

"Normally I wouldn't, but I need a break from traveling." Avalon said, though it was really Elara who had convinced him to stop. He figured now wasn't the best time to explain his whole situation. "My room is right across the hall, actually."

DragonSong

"Oh?" Dusk sat back, finished with her work. "You t-travel a lot, then?" she forced herself to ask. Having a conversation was nice, and she found she was rather reluctant to let it end. "B-because, if you were planning on t-taking the east road out of Greentrail- I'm not sure if the innkeeper told you- but there's been a problem with b-bandits, apparently."

She swallowed nervously just thinking about it. Her own path required she take the east road, a prospect she was not looking forward to.

Nightmare

"Ah, really?" Avalon said with a growing smile. "Thanks for the heads up."

That made his decision easy for tomorrow. The only thing that really felt natural to Avalon was confronting danger. In combat, time seemed to slow down. Everything become one fluid motion. He was calm and focused. Everything seemed to fade away except that moment, his thoughts and Elara. "I guess I'll have to check it out then."

DragonSong

Dusk's jaw dropped. "Ch-check it out?" she repeated incredulously. Was he crazy? Who intentionally sought out danger like that?! She shook her head. "I've seen that you know who to handle yourself, but-" Her voice trailed off. She wasn't quite sure what argument she was trying to make.

Maybe sharing some details would convince him not to be some reckless. "They're not like r-regular bandits. I treated a wound from one of their blades this afternoon- the skin was black, like the metal made it fester." She shivered slightly at the memory.

Nightmare

"Interesting." Avalon said, trying to think of what could cause that. Maybe some kind of poison? "Sounds like I should leave early in the morning, then, before anyone else gets injured."

DragonSong

"You're insane."

Dusk blushed when she realized she'd said her thoughts aloud. "I-I mean- y-y-you- the b-bandits-" She gave up. Shaking her head, she rose to her feet and untied her cloak, folding it to lay it next to her pack (mostly so she wouldn't have to look at her obviously-not-right-in-the-head guest). "You're insane," she repeated, running a hand frustratedly through her hair. "Why would you go l-looking for trouble like that? Do you have some kind of death wish?"

She made eye contact with Avalon again and suddenly snapped her mouth shut, feeling her blush worsen. Great, now she was being insulting as well as neurotic.

Nightmare

Avalon simply offered her a gentle smile. "It's just what I do. Besides, I know that no matter what happens, Elara will protect me."

He thought about it for a moment longer. "Besides, someone is going to have to fight these bandits. It's far more likely for me to defeat them than some random person passing through."

DragonSong

He may actually have a point there. And he just seemed so...so tranquil about the whole thing- then all of what he'd said fully registered. Dusk furrowed her brow, confused.

"Elara?" She asked softly, curious. Perhaps some obscure goddess she'd never hurt of, native to the young man's homeland?

Nightmare

Hi! His sister said, even though she knew Dusk wouldn't hear her. Avalon just now realized that he had brought her up and was thinking about the best way to explain it. "Think of her as... my guardian angel, kind of."

DragonSong

"Oh...okay." Dusk smiled and tilted her head, still slightly confused but not willing to push the topic if he didn't feel very forthcoming. Guardian angel, huh? she mused to herself. Maybe that's what kept him so calm and confident, this faith in his "angel".

She shook herself slightly, returning to the moment. "Well, that salve should help with any bruising. J-just let me know if you need anything else..." Her voice trailed off- and she could have kicked herself. Come on, just ask! she told herself sternly. He already said he was going to confront those bandits, where's the harm in you tagging along? You'd be safer.

She opened her mouth, but the words just wouldn't come out.

Nightmare

"Thanks, I will." Avalon said with a smile. He could tell her the full truth about Elara, but that would likely make her even more confused. It was something that he didn't try to explain when just meeting people. It just seemed to be easier that way. "So, what brought you here?"

DragonSong

"I'm...looking for someone," Dusk said. She sat on the bed again and drew her knees up to her chest, resting her chin on them. "Well, more than one someone, maybe. My parents." She twisted a lock of her odd, plum-to-lavender hair around her finger. Taking a deep breath, she added quickly, "I-I was actually planning on going east myself."

Nightmare

"Is that so?" Avalon said, leaning back with both his arms behind him to keep him up. Ask her to join us! It will be fun!

It could be dangerous for her. He thought, though he did suppose she had a better chance going with him than going on her own. "Um, well... you're welcome to come with me, if you want."

DragonSong

Dusk's head snapped up, her eyes going wide. "Really?" she asked, unable to stop the grin that was spreading across her face. "You mean...you don't mind?"

Nightmare

"Not at all." Avalon said, smiling when he saw her grin. "I'll wake you when I plan on getting my meal. We can eat and then head out."

DragonSong

"Thank you!" If she had been bolder, she would have thrown her arms around him in exuberance. As it was, she leaped to her feet, excited energy suddenly chasing the weariness of her long day away. Still beaming, she bent politely at the waist, reiterating, "Thank you so much."

Then her common sense started to return and she said, more subdued, "Well, I suppose you must be tired. I will see you come sunrise?" She meant to say it as a statement, but somehow it came out as more of a question.

Nightmare

"Of course." He replied calmly to her thanks. "And yes, it's probably time for me to get some sleep."

He stood up and began to head towards the door, turning his head to face her. With a smile, he added, "Good night." Then he left her room and headed to his own. Once inside, he simply took off his armor and lay down to go to sleep.

DragonSong

It was only when Dusk woke the next morning that she realized she'd never actually bothered to change before going to sleep. She wrinkled her nose at herself, changing quickly into fresh clothes (the second of the only two sets she carried with her). She stretched and yawned, realizing that she felt...almost relaxed. Probably for the first time since she'd left home.

Then she remembered exactly what her plan for the day entailed and blanched slightly. She was by no means any less grateful to Avalon- but the foreign, far away concept of confronting a group of ruthless bandits had suddenly become much more real.

Nightmare

He had woke well before dawn, but that was far too early to begin his journey for the day. He lay on his bed and looked out the one window in the room at the sky, thinking about the task for the day and chatting idly with Elara. Finally rays of light began to shine on the horizon and Avalon got up from his bed. He put on his armor and left the room, going across the hall to knock on the door to Dusk's room.