Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Double Trouble [Archive]

Started by DragonSong, January 18, 2016, 04:22:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DragonSong

"Leon! Where are you, you stupid son of a-"

Pressed against a wall in a rather shadowy alley, Leon listened to his brother's footsteps dash passed his hiding place. He waited a moment, then poked his head out onto the street, glancing in both directions to make sure Noel was out of sight.

Good. He had about a minute and a half before his brother actually started to use his brain and decided to track his scent, so he darted across the open space and into the first unlocked building he came across.

Which, he realized when he turned around to take stock, was a library. A small smile played at his lips. He liked libraries. He could work with a library. As quietly and inconspicuously as he could, he darted toward one of the back rows, slipping in between two shelves and fetching up against a wall, trying to seem as though he was completely absorbed in locating a particular book.

He smirked a bit. This was just perfect. The last place Noel would want to come look for him. Finally, he could relax.

visualspice

Relaxing wasn't exactly a word she was familiar with as the young librarian's 'assistant' tottered down the hall, pushing the heavy cart as it's wheels squealed beneath the weight. It winded her every time, but she was determined not to let that stop her from using the thing, it was, after all, the easiest way to transport the heavier books around this library.

Though not the largest library in the country by any means, it was still a large and boastful one, with a few single edition books privately owned here and only here. And though she herself was found of books in every shape and every color, she couldn't appreciate the writing on the pages when she was knee deep in work. And these books weren't exactly going to put themselves away. So onward she pushed her squeaky cart, good and slow, right down the hall from the man trying to relax in his private hideaway, but close enough to be inadvertently intrusive.

But after the girl with the heavy cart was past his aisle in the library, he'd hear the cart come to an abrupt halt as the girl gasped and something distinctively metal clattered over- while that area of the library grew just a tad darker.

She had, after all, knocked over one of the candles and of course, the wax had gotten onto her dress, the books, as well as the floor. It also didn't help that some was even in her hair, a few bits on her cheek, which burned, and forearm as well- those of whihc made her cringe, but not as much as to see the wax marring the book's covers.

"Oh, Ansgar's name," she huffed, and bent over the cart and used her short finger nails in attempts to clean off the wax splotted books.
CHECK OUT MY LATEST SITE EVENT!
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

My currently active characters:
Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

DragonSong

The squeaking was annoying.

The metallic clatter and soft curse was even more annoying.

With a sigh, Leon stuck his head out to see what had happened. His eyes lit on a girl- young woman, really- but there was something about her that made the word girl jump into his mind. With a huff, he took a wary step toward her, eyes flicking over her prim little form and mass of wavy hair.

"Need some help?" he asked gruffly, tilting his head to one side as he watched her.

visualspice

At the sound of the man's voice, she immediately diverted her eyes once she got a look at him. It wasn't a good look, but it was enough for her to freeze up. Good men had that effect on her. She was just too shy around them, and she immediately felt her head swim.

But oh.. right, he asked her a question. She dropped to her knees to tend to the wax on the floor, and to keep her face away from him.
"Oh- n-no! Don't worry! I'm fine. Please, continue with your reading..." And she spared a glance up to see if he was holding any sort of book.
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

DragonSong

Leon glanced at the cover of the book he held, only then remembering he'd actually grabbed one. "Oh. Uh, I'm not really..."

With a small sigh he knelt next to her, tilting his head at the wax on the floor. "How's this happen then?" he asked, quiet and gruff. He glanced up at her through the short bangs that had fallen in front of his face.

She was a cute little thing, he realized. He normally didn't give women a second glance, but she was...cute. Maybe a little mousey.

The cat in him purred. He dropped his eyes and cleared his throat.

visualspice

Was that a romance novel he was reading. She tried not to comment, eyes focused on the ground. She tried not to look at him when he spoke at her, looked at her, and the mess on the floor, but she gave a quick look his way then back to the wax.

"Really, you don't need to worry about it. My cart just knocked the candle over." And she finally saw where it rolled to, leaving a nice waxy trail in its wake. She sighed. Thankfully the wax could peel off, but it was just making sure she got all of it up before her boss found out.

"I'm sorry to have bothered you. I'll be more careful next time with my cart."
Hopefully he'd just leave so she could get back to work. The man being on his knees too just made this well.. much more awkward than it should have been!

DragonSong

Seeing where she was looking, Leon reached for the candle. "Don't worry about it," he grunted. "You work here then?" he asked, not quite sure why he did. He wasn't exactly a social person, but something about her was compelling.

The animal in him- and the demon, if he was being honest- saw prey. What kind of prey remained to be seen, but she'd definitely sparked his hunter's instinct.

visualspice

Seeing him go for the candle,  she was about to protest but well, he'd already gotten it. WIht the wax now off the floor, she stood up, brushing off her shirts and giving an awkward sigh.

"Thanks," she said, waiting to get the candle back. "And yes," she bit her lip, worried one of her bosses might be nearby to come and scold her soon before stating, "I do work here." And it was finally then she got a better look at him by accidentally meeting her eyes to his.

DragonSong

Leon stood when she did, holding the candle out to her. She had doe eyes, he decided. Big, brown doe eyes.

Without thinking, he reached out to touch her cheek, wanting to see if her skin was as smooth as it looked. His head tilted to the side, eyes roaming curiously over her features.

visualspice

And that's when she froze. Maybe the whole world froze as her heart leaped into her throat. But a second later, she was nearly spitting out her heart (had it been in her throat) when she heard her employer bark,

"Miss Longfellow! What on earth happened here!?"

Nearly jumping out of her skin, she twirled around.

"Master Lensom! I can explai-" Except her explanation was cut short when her hip knocked over a second candle post.

DragonSong

Leon lunged forward, catching the falling candle post with reflexes that were- well, catlike. He gave the newcomer an irritated glance as he righted it.

And promptly froze. "Oh, fuck me," he muttered, frowning.

Noel stood some distance behind who he assumed was this "Miss Longfellow"s employer, arms crossed and expression thunderous.

He sighed. Here we go...

"LEON!"

Yep.

visualspice

At the sudden shout, Artemis nearly jumped out of her skin a second time, and found herself almost stumbling into Leon. Grimacing, she muttered her apologies and scrambled to her cart while Master Lensom turned to address Noel.

"Sir, you'd do well not to shout in this establishment," came his puffy chide and then to Artemis, he crossed the short distance to her side and used the cane he had been carrying and rapped it across her hands just once while she held onto the cart's handle.

"More grace next time, Miss Longfellow. More grace." And he gave her a firm look before looking to the other two gentlemen and giving a cold smile. "Can I help you?"

DragonSong

Leon scowled when he rapped the girl's knuckles. "Hey, look, it's not like it was her fault-"

"I'll shout where I damn well want to!"

He closed his eyes and sighed. "Noel-"

"You shut up!" His brother grabbed him by the scruff of the neck, glaring daggers at him. "Don't you ever do something like that to me again you brat!"

Leon hissed and twisted away from him, but tried to keep his cool. "Look, we can scream at each other later-"

"I think we can scream at each other now!" Noel might have said more, but his eyes flickered in the girl's direction.

And suddenly he was all charm. "Well hello," he said, voice instantly low and smooth, eyes flicking over her in an evaluating sort of way. "Forgive me, Miss, I forget myself. Doesn't do to shout in front of a lady.

Leon rolled his eyes. Oh sweet mercy, here we go...

visualspice

Artemis was relieved to be out of this situation and was well on her way to pushing her cart onward, dusting off a few wax pieces as she went, and forgetting (or not realizing) she still had some in her hair and on her cheek. There was probably even some on her clothing, but the books were more important, anyhow. But when Noel suddenly called attention her way, his smooth talking had her cringing.

THankfully Master Lensom had some choice words to say.

"Yes, in front of a lady, but also in a Connlaothian library, a place sacred to studying! Now I suggest the pair of you take this quarrel elsewhere lest I call a city guard."

DragonSong

"Sorry," Leon muttered before Noel could say anything, grabbing his arm. "We're leaving." He began towing his brother toward the door.

He looked back over his shoulder at the girl though, unable to help himself.

For his part, Noel was looking at her too. Though, to be fair, he'd never actually stopped looking at her once he'd seen her. "Cute little thing, isn't she?" he commented to Leon, not bothering to keep his voice down. He was still angry with his baby brother, but he'd wait until they were outside to really lay into him.

visualspice

As the men departed, she felt such a weight lifted off her shoulders- but not the noose around her neck. She got plenty of scolding that day herself, and he candles that got ruined because of her 'careless grace' would be taken from her pay. And pay day couldn't come quick enough. Sure it was a weekly affair, but this week had been extremely hard on herself, as well as her family. The medicine her parents needed had gone up drastically in price, and Artemis found herself begging to work some hours of the night shift.

Master Lensom almost removed those extra hours, but figured the library could use a thorough mopping that evening, and Artemis was naturally the perfect one for the job. Either way, work was work, and for the most part, something she did enjoy. The smell of books was one of her favorites, and she got to ready most of what was there. There were a few books behind glass that not even she could touch, but coding and categorizing scrolls and tomes were actually fun.

But nothing could beat a good book, and curiously, she wondered about the one the strange man from earlier had been reading and found herself picking it up as she went about on her second rounds with her squeaky cart, not realizing the two brothers were still, at least somewhat, nearby.

DragonSong

"This is a bad idea."

"You're no fun."

"This is a bad idea."

"You're just saying that 'cause I'm the one who came up with it."

"Which almost by definition makes it a bad idea."

Noel gave him a dry look. "Shut up." He glanced down the dim hall of the library, then nodded an all clear. "Come on, lighten up. We're here to see this girl you're in love with." He smirked over his shoulder.

Leon rolled his eyes. "All I said was that she was intriguing."

"And I haven't seen you intrigued by someone with lady bits in decades, which makes her intriguing to me," Noel shot back primly. "Besides, you've never wanted to sneak into one of these places after closing?"

"No," Leon muttered bluntly.

Noel shook his head with a dramatic sigh. "Like I said. You, brother dear, are no fun."

visualspice

Thankfully the day went on with its unexcited droll. The rain made for a sleepy atmosphere as the library was buttoned up for the night, but it was just fine with her.S he didn't have to deal with the rain yet, and she found the little romance novel Leon had once peeked over, intriguing. Romance novels were a guilty pleasure, one of many that she kept tucked close to her person. But if she could boast anything it was she was good at doing many things at once, so here she set about, mopping the floors of the library and reading about A Demon's Love at Sunset.

A strange story indeed, about some girl of no significance charming and taming a demon she accidentally 'woke up'. The difference in the characters personas was intriguing, and was definitely something better to distract her from what she was really doing-

Mopping the floor.

DragonSong

Noel actually licked his lips, keeping himself and Leon hidden in the shadow of a bookshelf as he looked the girl over. She really was cute, in a shy sort of way. Not usually his type, but...

"You don't make a move and I will," he murmured to Leon.

The shifter looked at him, entirely unimpressed. "I didn't want to "make a move". Are you happy now? We've seen her, let's just go-"

Without warning, Noel shoved him forward, sending him sprawling onto the open floor. "My word, dear brother!" he exclaimed, bending forward and offering a hand. "You're always such a klutz."

Leon, with a string of obscenities, smacked his hand away, blushing furiously. "I hate you." Noel smirked. He was just so easy to get a rise out of.

visualspice

Had she been paying better attention,s he would have replied sooner, but being as she was nose deep in her novel, it was almost too late for her when the sudden banter of men took her off guard. For a moment, she found herself asking, "Are... are you alright?" Then furrowed her brow as she realized...
"You know,t he library is closed."
And as she looked at the poor man on the ground (probably having slipped on the newly mopped floor, she could have sworn it was the same strange gentleman from earlier.

Tags: