Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Bibliophiles Unite!

Started by Zero, January 28, 2016, 07:49:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zero

@DragonSong

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hurry.

That's what they'd said. How inconvenient. There would be no reason to hurry if the college library had simply been wise enough to keep a copy of Within Stone Eyes: A Study of Basilisks by renowned mythological beast researcher Vincent Doyle on their shelves.

Since they hadn't had the foresight to anticipate his needs now Keiran had to venture out to one of the city's public libraries, which apparently might actually have the book he desperately needed to finish his paper on basilisk hunting behaviors. The college had several books on the foul beasts, but not the one he needed. Perhaps he could have made due with another study on them, but he wasn't one to settle for less than the definitive text on all things to do with the basilisk.

Maybe it was his own fault for not realizing he was missing such a critical research material earlier in the day. It was getting quite late, but then again the library at the college, or at home for that matter, never closed.

Despite his frustration with the college's inadequate selection, Keiran had all the outward appearances of a young lord out on a leisurely evening stroll. Well, a brisk stroll, but his expression remained neutrally pleasant. It wouldn't do to come off as annoyed or frustrated. You never knew who you might run into out on the street.

In fact, he had to spare more than a few smiles and quick pleasantries with people that recognized him. One was even a professor at the college. Another was a young lady staying within the city to study much like himself. Her family was notable and Keiran paused longer than he's have liked to be especially polite to her, as his family was on rather friendly terms with hers, as far as political alliances went, and his father would have been terribly displeased if he had offended her by being too hasty.

By the time he reached the library he was actually beginning to worry he might have to delay finishing his work until tomorrow.

The horror!

Praise be to the divine when he tried the door and found it not yet locked, although he could see that the few people remaining were gathering their belongings to leave. Best he be quick! It would be terribly rude to impose upon the poor librarian because of his poor time management.

Ah, but as he looked around Keiran felt the familiar stirring in his heart of discovery. Why, this was actually very nice! In the six years that he had lived in Arca, never once had he visited a library that wasn't in one mage college or another. He knew that many students did regularly, but many of the students were also common born rather than nobility. Most nobles had private tutors and remained at home rather than venturing to a college, but of course that would have been too boring and stifling for him.

Looking about at the unfamiliar layout, Keiran realized that he would never find the book on his own before it was time for the doors to be locked. Oh bother, perhaps it would have been more pertinent to simply have waited until the morning.

DragonSong

Lyssa was, as usual, blissfully unaware of the late hour, nose buried in her choice of book for that day. This one was a series of journals that had been adapted into a single novel, written by an explorer and biologist, and paying very close attention to the different flora and fauna the author had come across in her travels.

So when she heard the door open- the first time it had done so in at least an hour or two- she started and raised her head a little fuzzily, trying to adjust back to the real world.

Oh. Was it so late already? She looked around, seeing the few patrons left in the library were gathering their things. She sighed, marking her place and laying the book gently on her desk. I suppose I'll have to start closing things up now.

Pushing her glasses up into her hair, she stood and stretched her arms over her head for a moment, bending her back. It was only then she remembered what had drawn her attention from her book in the first place. Flushing slightly at the belated response, she looked toward the door.

The young man standing there, looking around, seemed a bit lost. She tilted her head. He certainly wasn't a regular visitor- in fact she couldn't recall having ever seen him before. "Um, hello," she called softly, trying to catch his attention as she moved toward him. "Is there something I can help you with?" Perhaps he just needed directions.

Zero

The thought of simply leaving and returning tomorrow crossed Keiran's mind, after all, no matter how inconvenient it would be, he wasn't so crass or arrogant as to think he deserved some special treatment when it came to the scheduled hours of a business - library or otherwise. Before he could fully make up his mind or turn to disembark a young woman with some fascinating coloring approached him.

Given her greeting and question he could only assume she was the librarian on duty. Keiran smiled politely as he turned to her. "Why yes Miss, I do believe you can. My apologies for coming in at the last moment, but the librarian at my college suggested your establishment might have the book I am needing - Within Stone Eyes: A Study of Basilisks by Vincent Doyle."

He gestured to the other patrons who were already beginning to leave. "If it is too late I understand. I can always return in the morning. It would be extremely rude and presumptuous to demand you stay longer than necessary for my sake."

Keiran was sure the young woman was eager to go home after her workday. Although if he had not been a noble with no need to have an actual job, he thought that librarian would certainly have been one of the more tolerable professions he could have sought out. Still, not everyone was him and undoubtedly the librarian here worked to support herself, not just out of love for books.

DragonSong

Ah, a student. That made a little more sense. Lyssa offered a small smile. "Seeing as you want something specific, it shouldn't be any trouble," she told him. "I do have to close up soon, but I don't mind taking a few extra minutes. Doyle, you said?"

That sounded familiar... With a small "Ah!" she remembered a few works by Vincent Doyle had been sharing shelf space with the book she'd chosen that morning, in the Unusual Beasts section.

"Just this way, please," she said, beckoning for the newcomer to follow her as she set off into the shelves. Glancing back over her shoulder, she asked by way of polite chit-chat, "Are you writing a paper then? Or is this personal interest?"

Zero

It came as a pleasant relief when the librarian genuinely did not seem perturbed by his last minute request for a certain title. For a moment Keiran had worried she would oblige him but only grudgingly and with annoyance. While it was true this was his first time in a public library it wouldn't do to make a bad impression upon a person which he might have future need to ask for assistance.

"Yes Miss, Doyle." He confirmed with a soft smile and nod. It was a mild surprise when she seemed to know exactly where they should go to find what he wanted. Most of the librarians at the college had to look up the sections and locations of their books before helping him find them.

Often times Keiran didn't bother asking them anymore, he simply found what he needed himself. Except on a day like today when what he needed had been nowhere to be found.

Maintaining his pleasant but otherwise expressionless demeanor, the young lord followed as instructed, though his smile brightened slightly as he was asked the nature of his interest in the book. "A bit of both, actually. I am very fascinated with mythical and magical creatures, so focus many of my studies on them. Basilisks are particularly nasty - but still interesting - beasts. So while I am writing a paper for one of my tutors, I also find them quite worthy of study regardless."

Not to mention the forests of Ravensway were home to numerous basilisks. The animals were a menace, perfectly happy to kill and devour the family's prized kirins, or an unfortunate person that crossed their path for that matter.

DragonSong

"I see." Lyssa nodded, leading him to what she hoped was the correct section of shelves. "I'm pretty sure it's around here somewhere," she murmured, stepping into the space between two bookshelves and letting her fingers skim over the bindings. There was the empty space where her book belonged, so...

Doma, Dorian, Dowle- "Aha! Doyle, there you are," she said with no small amount of satisfaction, finding the cluster of books she'd remembered from that morning. Slipping Within Stone Eyes: A Study of Basilisks from its place, she turned and held it out to him with a smile.

"Your focus is in magical beast then?" she asked curiously. Flushing a bit, she ducked her head and added, "Forgive me, I don't mean to pry. It's just, we get a lot of students in here, and if I know what they're looking for sometimes I can recommend good titles." Her blush deepened a bit. "Ah, but seeing as this is your first time here, I assume you have no need of recommendations- I'm sure the college library has what you need. Sorry."

Why was she apologizing? Shouldn't she have done that? Gods, books were so much easier than people.

Zero

While the focus was on a particular book, Keiran could not resist allowing his eyes to skim over the titles on the shelves they passed. Some he recognized, many he didn't. How fascinating! They had books that he had never heard of and that certainly were not in the college's library. Perhaps he'd not given these public establishments enough credit.

They stopped at a cluster of shelves that made up the section on labeled Unusual Beasts and Keiran looked around at the selection with a brightening expression. Why, they seemed to have most of Vincent Doyle's collection of titles. The college only had two - Heart of Fire: A Dragon's Perspective and A Crystal Horn: Unicorns Unveiled. Quite a dismal case of neglect on the administrator's part. Obviously they catered to those of only the most bland and typical of study interests.

The book he needed was handed to him in very short order. It was a pleasant surprise when the woman showed an interest in what he was studying, but before he could so much as respond to her question she was fumbling and blushing through apologies.

For a moment Keiran could only blink and stare at the poor woman, but he quickly recovered and gave a soft laugh. His eyes sparkled slightly and a friendly smile curved his lips. "You should not apologize, you have been most helpful. Yes, my studies currently focus on magical beasts, and I would be most interested in hearing what titles you suggest."

Not to mention the college obviously did not always have what he needed, since he was here and not there!

DragonSong

Her heart fluttered a bit and she blushed, shrugging. "Oh, it's just my job," she murmured. Relieved he seemed more amused by her than offended, she offered a smile of her own in return.

"Can I ask what your interest stems from?" she queried, tilting her head a bit to one side. "If I know that, I might be able to think of a few books you may find useful."

She slipped out from between the bookshelves and began leading them back in the direction of her desk. There was the familiar sound of the door swinging open and shut and she looked up to see that they appeared to be the only ones left in the library. "Where are you studying?" she asked over her shoulder, a little curious as to why she'd never seen him in the library before.

Zero

Well yes, it was her job to assist visitors, but that didn't mean she couldn't receive a little recognition for doing so in such a quick and pleasant fashion. The librarians at the college would have needed to look up where to find the book needed, then they'd simply direct him to the appropriate section with an annoyed wave of their hand.

Perhaps they were busier and had more patrons, but regardless they certainly never asked after his studies or offered to recommend books - he doubted most of them would have known what he needed at any rate. Perhaps he should speak with the administrators about hiring more invested and knowledgeable staff, ones who appreciated the importance of libraries and books enough to take the time to show an actual interest in the students and the books they supposedly tended.

Putting the thought aside, Keiran followed the colorful librarian as they made their way back towards the front of the building. "My family breed, raise, train, and sell Kirin. I suppose at least some small part of my interest in such fantastical creatures stems from that. Not to mention that the forests of Ravensway are home to a myriad of mystical beasts. You can sometimes catch glimpses of basilisks, wyverns, gryphons, dragons and quite a few more. To call ventures into the woods eventful would be putting it mildly. The forests are one of the things I miss most studying so far from home."

He noticed that he appeared to be the only visitor left as they came closer to the front desk. "I study at Kia's Garden College."

It was one of the larger, more prestigious mage academies in Arca, also one of the oldest, most beautiful, and expensive to attend. When the occasional noble family did send a child to a college instead of rely on private tutors it was often Kia's Garden where they attended.

DragonSong

"Oh," Lyssa murmured, eyes widening a bit as he talked about his home forests. "That sounds fascinating." Her eyes were practically glowing. Moving around behind her desk, she shot him a sympathetic look. "That must be difficult, being away from home." She could understand that.

Kia's Garden. "You're a noble then?" she asked without thinking. It was of course possible that he wasn't, but something about him seemed to give off that sort of air. In fact, he sort of reminded her of an illustration of the prince in her favorite storybook as a child. "I probably should have guessed, you certainly look it."

A blush quickly worked its way over her face and she dropped her eyes. "Oh, um, sorry, that was rude. Not my place," she mumbled, busying herself trying to locate the log that kept track of books the library lent out.

Zero

"They are remarkable, and beautiful." Aside from the spectacular, and deadly, beasts that roamed in the densest parts of the trees it was truly very nice to walk under the heavy boughs. So far south in Serendipity the weather was warm and almost balmy much of the year. It rarely ever snowed. Keiran's smile faltered just slightly at the mention of it being difficult being away from home, but he recovered quickly.

He could go home anytime he wanted. It had been his choice to study and live in Arca.

Keiran gave a soft chuckle, not sure why she was apologizing - again. He was a noble and he didn't think looking like one, as she claimed, was a bad thing. The young lord smiled gently at his flustered host. "It is quite alright, you are not wrong. My name is Keiran, Miss - ah - might I know your name?"

DragonSong

She let out a soft breath, giving a smile of her own in return. His seemed to be almost contagious. "It's Ilycia," she told him, not quite sure why but feeling she should use her full name. "Most people call me Lyssa though."

Ah, there was the log. Hefting the massive tome onto the desk, she flicked to the current page and began making note of the book. "Keiran," she murmured, writing his name as she spoke. Glancing up at him, she asked, "Might I have your family name? It's not exactly required, it just makes keeping track easier."

Zero

"My apologies, Keiran Fairhall, Miss Ilycia." Keiran said lightly, still smiling as he moved to stand right before the desk, leaning over slightly to look at the massive log book she had produced. The book that he was borrowing was clutched lightly to his chest.

"I must thank you for taking extra time to assist me. I am truly appreciative. With this book I can finish my paper tonight, but I hope I have not kept you too long." He was very sincere, he truly was grateful for having the tool he needed to conduct his research, and she had gone out of her way to make sure that he, a stranger to her, had it.

DragonSong

"Fairhall," she mouthed, jotting the name down. Then she smiled a bit at his thanks, shaking her head gently. "It's really no problem, I'm usually here after hours anyway," she assured him, closing the book and looking up at him.

A bit too quickly perhaps, because she hadn't realized he'd been leaning forward and her head almost bumped his chin. Jerking back, she gave a nervous chuckle and a muttered, "Oops, sorry." The sudden movement shook her glasses free from her hair and they bounced onto the desk then skittered away from her reaching hand, clattering to the floor.

"Oh for-" She sighed, sliding the log back into its place under the desk and leaning over it to try and see where the spectacles had fallen. "I'll probably be the one here when you return the book," she told Keiran absently, leaning further over the desk until she was stretched onto the tips of her toes, frowning as she searched the floor.

Zero

"I can still be thankful - oh!" A little startled by the sudden movement, namely the head flying towards his face, Keiran took a quick step back, trying to avoid a painful collision. Lyssa's glasses went tumbling, first upon the desk then clattering onto the floor. He had attempted to catch them, but they slipped right by his fingertips.

Strangely the young woman leaned over the desk while trying to find the dropped spectacles, and managed to be fully over the piece of furniture so much so that her feet nearly left the floor!

"I hope that is so, Miss Ilycia. I look forward to hearing your book recommendations." Which was true, but also she was very polite and helpful. He could appreciate that, and he had seen many books that would be good to study that he'd not been able to find at the college.

Keiran set the book down on the desk and gathered up his robes a bit so that he wouldn't kneel on them as he got down on the floor to help her retrieve her glasses. He wasn't sure how well she could see without them, but since they had not been on her nose this whole time he assumed that she wasn't too blind without them.

DragonSong

"Oh, thank you," she said, flushing in embarrassment as he helped her retrieve her glasses. She gave him a quick, grateful smile as she took them and slid back to her side of the desk.

"You don't have to call me "Miss Ilycia"," she told him as she did, hooking her glasses onto the neckline of her clingy top and patting them absently. Didn't need them jumping away from her again. "Just Lyssa is fine." Her smile was a little less nervous and more friendly this time.

Already her mind was beginning to wander through the titles she thought might interest him. He'd said his family raised Kirin, so he probably knew quite a bit about them. But perhaps some other breeds of mythical equines? She was pretty sure there was a detailed tome listing the different types of winged horses around somewhere...

Zero

"You are most welcome." Keiran stood gracefully, smoothing out his robes as he did so. It had been a small thing, but he supposed many enough lords would not have stooped themselves onto the floor to retrieve something they themselves had dropped, let alone something for someone else. Other lords were stupid fools.

Picking up his borrowed book again, he gave her a slight tilt of the head, his smile still had not changed. "I would not have been so presumptuous as to call you Lyssa, which I assume is a nickname? Usually those are reserved for those more familiar with a person."

Ah, but his manners were still quite abysmal, weren't they? "Now Miss Il - Lyssa, the hour grows later by the moment and I have kept you for quite long enough. I know that it is past time for the doors to have been locked. Thank you once more for your help." Keiran gave a slight bow to her, regardless of her social station. "I will return this book tomorrow afternoon, I sincerely hope to see you again then."

DragonSong

She sort of smiled as she listened to him talk. She didn't interact with nobility much, and she wondered if his manner of speech was commonplace among his class or if talking like a character out of some grand novel was a trait specific to him. Either way, she liked it.

"You are most welcome," she told him with a nod, using his phrase experimentally. With another smile she added, "I'll be here. I hope to see you again too, Keir- er, Lord Fairhall." At his bow she bobbed into a semi-curtsy, but seeing as her skirt only fell to just above her knees she was afraid it wasn't quite proper.

Zero

Some nobles talked like that, but mostly it was Keiran's love for all things grand, elegant, and sophisticated. To him he was simply speaking correctly. Not that he looked down on common folk speaking with their casual slang and hasty mashing of words, many nobles had begun using such dialect, but it simply wasn't for him.

Proper or not, Lyssa's effort was rewarded with an even brighter smile, and a self-depreciating chuckle. "Lord Fairhall makes me think I should be looking for my father. Keiran is fine, have a fine evening Lyssa."

The walk back to the college was much like the walk from the college, although there were different people to greet, and fewer of them. Keiran spent half the night reading and referencing Within Stone Eyes: A Study of Basilisks, but managed to finish his paper before finally succumbing to sleep.

It was mid-morning before he even woke, and after refreshing himself with a bath and change of clothes, he turned in his paper and set out to the library with his borrowed book once more clutched carefully to his chest.

Keiran rather enjoyed the walk, stopping to chat politely with several people that he recognized from court or college. Stepping into the library sometime after noon, he felt happier than he had at any point of his walk, even as pleasant as it was. The day was beautiful, but books were always the more delightful experience for him. Immediately he moved towards the desk, needing to have the book checked back in and hoping to spend several hours selecting the next.

DragonSong

"And you," Lyssa murmured as he left, still smiling a bit to herself. Happily, she began packing up her things and took one last quick walk around the library, blowing out lanterns and closing up windows, before she made her way home to the lodging house where she'd been living for the past year and a half.

She read before bed as she usually did, finishing her collection of journal entries before she managed to sleep. Then she was up early, having the opening shift at the library. Maybe it was a little much, closing one night and opening the next day, but honestly she'd rather spend her time there than anywhere else. She slipped out of the house before her fellow tenants were even awake, the sun just rising.

It was a rather slow day, so when the door opened with its familiar creak just after midday, she glanced up curiously from her novel, glasses perched on the bridge of her nose. An automatic smile spread across her face and she laid her book- this time a rather fantastical story that involved a small dragon and a fairly grouchy unicorn- on the desk when she saw who it was, sitting up a bit straighter.

"Afternoon," she said brightly as Keiran approached.

Tags: