Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Estate of Affairs

Started by visualspice, March 06, 2016, 05:56:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

visualspice

She huffed as well and moved to catch him by his arm.
"You haven't looked civilized in days, I'm sure the bath can wait and your stomach will thank you for choosing a meal and drink first." She gestured to Thresha who was already making haste towards the kitchen.

"However, I have an idea that should help keep your mind from what plagues you and hopefully makes you feel a bit more civilized." As she lead him along she paused in the front of a hall door and pushed it open. Inside were walls lined with books.

"If you're a reader, there's a plethora of books from all over the continent here. Or if you'd prefer, I could select something of interest and read for you."
CHECK OUT MY LATEST SITE EVENT!
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

My currently active characters:
Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

KingTyrant

Tri watched her walk down the hall past him, raising a brow as he hesitated to follow. She started to seem more and more like a mother as time went on. He closed his eyes momentarily, shaking his head as he walked behind her towards wherever they were going. He had been without food for a long time before... Honestly, his thought process was set on the idea that a bath would finally calm his nerves. But if she insisted that some fancy, high society, wealthy merchant meal was more important, so be it. He wasn't about to argue with her hospitality.

"What plagues me isn't exactly something you can cure overnight. I'm not even sure if it is cureable. I... I'm not even sure what's plaguing me to begin with..." He sighed, looking off to the side as she opened the door. That's when Tri smelled that distinct, library-esc smell. A study? Or perhaps it was actually a library. In whatever case, the shelves of neatly-assorted, antique reads were tempting, to say the least. Books revolving around ancient legends surrounding Le'ranna, magical studies, historical records, philosophy, informational books regarding wildlife, and even books on famous warriors, such as the Dragonriders of Adela.

Running his fingers over the spines of the books on one shelf, he admired the asthetic of the room, as well as how much knowledge there was here to absorb. Taking a moment to let it all sink in, he finally turned to her. "Do you... Own any books from Serendipity? Specifically... Serenian wars?" He asked, frowning and narrowing his eyes. Ah... Serendipity. His homeland. He didn't find himself straying near those lands too much anymore. As enchanting and culturally expansive as they were, his nightmares only seemed to thrive more any time he found himself sleeping in a bed within the Serenian borders.

Le'ranna was a mysterious land with many conflicts and events lost to time, or erased by the frequent tears in time caused by magic of all kinds. But to him, Serendipity was the most mysterious by far. Perhaps this was because all of his investigations pointed to the land being the source of his lost memories... The bits and pieces of a torn-up scrapbook that were his own dreams. The visions of the burning seas, golden giants, lost loved ones and uphill battles... Serendipity always seemed to be the source. It hurt, knowing that his own home was probably keeping his life hidden from him.

visualspice

She gave him a side long look before reaching past him to the shelf over top of their heads. She pulled down three books, two of a decent size and skinny one.
"Perhaps one of these on the history of Serendipity may suffice?" she asked, offering out the books.
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

KingTyrant

He looked down at the books she offered him, analyzing them for a moment. The skinnier book looked a lot older, the hard cover peeling apart slightly, the pages torn in certain places and stained with age and various drinks. The other one looked a lot newer, the hard cover untouched and the pages looking practically new. Either she didn't really like the skinnier book, or it was just a much older variant. That would explain why the second book was larger. More history usually meant more content within a history book.

He took the larger book from her, finding a seat and opening it to the index. He traced his finger down the page, looking through every section in hopes of finding something that would jog his memory. He stopped as he noticed the subheading, 'Birth of the Goldtouched Colossi.' He narrowed his eyes in deep thought, flipping to the section and beginning his read. "So... How long have you lived in Essyrn? And... Why Essyrn, of all places?" He asked, curious and wanting to know more about her.

visualspice

"Over half my life, and it was my parents decision. They wanted to leave Connlaoth and decided to go as South as here. And I've lived here ever since. I can say I feel quite agreeable to this place. There is a warmth to these sands."

KingTyrant

Tri narrowed his eyes, looking over the pages with deep interest. He took in all the information he could regarding a race of long-extinct giants, whom of which were known to be very aggressive and troublesome to Serendipity... But as he read, his hope of piecing his past together getting stronger, the section just... Ended. He sighed heavily, closing the book and shaking his head in disappointment. A few artist's renditions of the giants and information regarding their home and behavior wasn't enough to lead him in the right direction... He would need much more. The only problem, was that this book she lent him came to a dead end. The closest thing he had to understanding his purpose was out there, trapped in the rolling dunes on a thief's caravan to gods know where.

As he pondered how he would retrieve his stolen item, the book's disappointment and his growing hopelessness, he barely heard Evelyn's response. Looking up, he gave a nod. "Ah... So you have your parents to thank for all of this?" He looked around the nicely-sized library, imagining the rest of her home and how big it could be. "Warmth to these sands... Yeah. I'd know that much." He joked, feeling like a few laughs were in order. He still felt the sting of his sunburn, shaking his head at the thought of making the same trek again. His eyes caught sight of the towel around his waist, causing him to chuckle. "Um... I don't mean to be a burden, I know you'd like to sleep, but... May I have my clothes back?" He smirked, looking up at her and raising a brow.

visualspice

It was only then she realized his dress. Not many who were not Essyrni borne would care if they walked about in a towel (especially after what he had endured). But then again, the Essyrni generally did not wear layers of clothing, and most of the lower class sometimes wore nothing at all.

"Your clothes are being tended to, but I could lend you a robe." She looked him over and tried to gauge his size as she added, "I can't guarantee the fit but it's a rather flexible style of robe and of the latest Essyrni fashion."

KingTyrant

Tri found himself snickering at her remark regarding Essyrni fashion. "Even if it was a potato sack that barely fit, I'd be fine with it, Ms. Gray." He told her, casting his friendliest of smiles. He set the books to the side, standing and stretching out his back. "After you... Fetch the robe, I'll leave you be." He promised, looking off to the side. "I'll... Stay here. Read as much as I can. Knowledge is always worth the time." He added, looking back at her.

Tri didn't read very much, being that he was almost always on the road. But when he did, he enjoyed it. His favorites were always the historical books... Those romance stories and crime dramas never really seemed to spark with him. It was most likely due to the fact that he just preferred reality to made-up dribble. "You can go back to bed... And I suppose Thresha can retrieve me when dinner is ready, yeah?" He walked to a random bookshelf in the nonfiction section, tracing his finger over the spines.

visualspice

She stared at him, but held her tongue about his comments on dress, then further still on her need to remain. Perhaps he didn't realize how much more of an inconvenience that would be- considering his state, and also his relation to her as an absolute stranger.

"I don't think I could simply go back to sleep," she went on, smiling carefully towards him then away, eyes wondering towards the book shelves. "Though if you aim to keep quiet company with my books I would not rob you of it."

KingTyrant

Tri picked out a few books on Essyrni culture, most of them very slim and mainly containing things such as manners and traditions. If he was going to be staying here for awhile, he'd need to know how to talk to others and what and what not to do in general.

After a short silence, him scanning each page of one of the books as he walked back to his seat, his gaze shot up towards her and he gave a nod. "Very well... I'm not going to tell you what to do in your own home." He said, his expression unreadable as he sat back down.

visualspice

She had taken a seat as well, and taken to a drink for herself as she studied him in silence. He was an interesting specimen to be sure, then again, it wasn't every day Lady Gray tended to men barely surviving the desert. Even still she couldn't help but feel sorry for him, and also being immensely intrigued.

The thief that stole from him should be sought out and reprimanded, but she also knew she, as a woman, (and of foreign blood) had limited resources, people she could trust, and any true power outside of her own money. However, she also knew had he stumbled onto another man's property, chances were they'd take him in as a slave rather than cleaning him up to get him back onto his feet and back to the life he had nearly foolishly lost when he rushed off into the desert.

KingTyrant

Tri and her seemed to sit in complete silence for hours on end, Tri reading the books from cover-to-cover and studying up in any way he could. All while staying awkwardly silent and not looking over in her direction whatsoever. The rest of the night seemed to drag on for awhile, Thresha preparing a bath for the man, who accepted without hesitation, as well as a meal, which was welcomed with open arms after being practically starved in the desert.

After all of this was done, Tri was fitted into a robe that was slightly too tight, hugging his toned upper body in an uncomfortable fashion. Still... It beat walking around in little more than a small towel. Once his hair dried, the sand, dust, and sweat washed out completely, it glowed a brilliant crimson under the moonlight shining through the windows. He was definitely Serenian, there was no doubt about that much. He was then given a room to sleep in. It wasn't anything fancy, holding little more than a bed, a nightstand, and a wardrobe, but again, it would work. Tri was thankful that this woman was willing to help him at all.

He honestly felt spoiled, in all of this confusion. The meal, which was beyond amazing, the cool bath which soothed his burning skin nicely, the robe, the room, it all was just too much. This woman had her own duties, her own life to live, and instead of saving his life and tossing him out, she went above and beyond. Not only was it too much, it was just confusing. She had no idea who he was, where he came from, or anything. He was just some guy she found in the desert. Although, one thing was definitely clear. She was an upper class woman. Someone far more powerful and influential than him. Wasting her time on what most upper-class people would consider a peasant was a ludicrous notion, but here he was, being treated as a valued guest in Evelyn Gray's home.

After a good night's rest, Tri was back on his feet first thing in the morning, no longer suffering from aches and pains in his legs, the burns on his skin no longer bothering him as badly. Sure, there were blisters on his heels and the skin on his shoulders and face had begun to peel slightly, but after being treated so well the night before, he actually felt a lot more like he did before he crossed the desert. As soon as his clothes were ready, he didn't hesitate to go retrieve them, utterly sick of the uncomfortable robe.

Lifting up his shirt and pants, checking them to make sure they were completely clean, he slipped them on, as well as his belt, shoes, and lastly, his red gauntlets. Placing them on his arms and tightening them into place with the straps, he smirked, finally feeling like himself again as he took his tattered cape, bearing the Serenian insignia and tied it around the spikes on his shoulders. It was good to finally be in his everyday attire again. Even with a robe or towel, he felt naked without it. He picked up his sword, still in its scabbard, placing it on his back gently. He gave his arms one last stretch before turning, looking around for Evelyn. Not only did he have thanks to give, but he also had directions to ask for. He needed to know his way around Essyrn, if he was going to get back what belonged to him.

visualspice

It seemed just as things were becoming peaceful, a squabble had to rear it's ugly head. And at the forefront of such sudden commotion was that of a man's booming voice and all of his Essyrnian arrogance that came with it.  Thresha had been the unfortunate slave to answer the front door, and was no match to keep Merchant Prince Na'hana out.

He was a large man, both in belly, height and shoulder girth, with skin as smooth and strong as ebony and bright eyes that pierced like that of a lion's. He forced his way into the home, demanding to speak with Lady Gray who, Thresha kept insisting, was indisposed at the moment for her morning bath.

Tri wasn't the only one needing a good, relaxing bath after the night's events. Evelyn was more than exhausted at playing the sudden role as rescuer and hostess. She wanted nothing more than a nice long, cool refreshing bath, her blonde hair pinned on top of her head and the rest of her completely submersed in the bath from shoulders down, with only her knees poking up in the middle.

The bath was quite luckily on the other end of the expansive manor home, situated in a quaint corner on the balcony that looked over the reeded back yard. Her eyes had been closed as she lay there, seeming none the wiser as Prince Na'hana was barging his way ever closer to her bed room.

Perhaps she had fallen asleep, she couldn't really tell, but when the sudden heavy pounding of foot steps, than the familiar charge of Prince Na'hana, she jerked up suddenly in the bath to see the hulking man standing in the door to her balcony and blocking her only exit.

She poised against the bath tub, keeping herself seated in such a way she wouldn't compromise more exposure to his eyes than necessary.

"Prince Na'hana, I do believe you weren't invited into my home."

"Invitation? I don't need one. I've come for the money you owe me, and I am a hasty man in settling my debts."

This made her sit up even straighter, brow furrowing as she peered at the cowering form of Thresha behind Na'hana then back to him.

"By the Gods, what are you going on about? I paid you last week."

But the way the man's eyes blazed had him stomping his boot quite heavily into the stone balcony floor.

"YOU PAID TOO LITTLE!" he boomed. "WE SPECIFICALLY AGREED ON THE AMOUNT AND THE INTEREST!"

"And you were paid both, Prince Na'hana," Evelyn went on very coolly, calmly, but not without her own power backing her voice. "You yourself signed the parchment and melted your own wax insignia on it as well."

"You little white rat, I received no such compensation!" he boomed.

"We agreed on five percent-"

"IT WAS FIFTEEN!" the man bellowed. "And now more so since you have come to make me a fool!"

Now Evelyn was more annoyed than scared as she sat up, barely caring she was naked in the bath now. "Prince Na'hana, if it was fifteen you should not have signed the agreement and should have corrected me when I agreed to five."

And that's when he started spewing insults at her in his native tongue, most of which she understood, and it made her frown.

"Allow me to collect myself so we can discuss this like civilized people-"
But as she moved to step out of the bath and reach for her towel, Prince Na'hana had already turned around and fetched Thresha by the hand.

"Her! I'll take this slave as my own to pay for your insolence!"

By then, Evelyn had nearly tripped out of the bath.

"You will do no such thing!" She roared, barely able to press the towel around her to keep her modest as she approached the prince, just as he was grabbing onto poor Thresha's wrist. And her own wrist went to Na'hana's.

That seemed to do it, as the man let out a roar, shoved Thresha aside and turned to grab Lady Gray by the wrist.
"Then I shall have you instead, you pink skinned pig of a woman!" And before Evelyn knew what was even going on, she was thrown over the prince's shoulder like a sack of potatoes and Na'hana was storming with her in tow down the hall.

KingTyrant

Tri, unable to find Evelyn anywhere in the manor, decided to leave a message for Thresha to deliver to her when she arrived from...  Well, wherever she was currently. He then paused, blinking as he saw the fattest, ugliest Essyrni storming down the hall, Thresha in hot pursuit right behind him. Tri was curious, but he figured it wasn't his place to spy on whatever was happening. He simply made a slow walk towards the nearest seat, not wanting to run off without saying his goodbyes. As he awkwardly sat, crossing his arms and staring at the ceiling, he kept overhearing angry shouts, most of which came from the fat, ugly Essyrni. From what he could hear... It had something to do with money. A rotten business exchange, perhaps?

When the screaming escalated to its very worst, Tri finally stood and headed off towards Evelyn's bedroom, thinking that he at least needed to break up the fighting before it got ugly, or keep it from getting even worse. However, when he rounded the corner and got halfway down the long hallway that led to the other side of the manor, he didn't expect to see the Essyrni man hoisting a scantily-clad Evelyn on his shoulder and bolting straight towards him. Naturally, the swordsman backed up slightly, taken back by the odd sight. Instinct took over, Tri immediately reaching for the hilt of his sword as he sensed his new acquaintance was in danger.

Narrowing his eyes at the scene, Tri covered as much of the hallway as he could with his agile form, now in a fighting stance as he slowly drew the bastard sword off his back. Whoever this guy was, he obviously wasn't just some cranky neighbor that came to exchange insults. He and Evelyn must've had some bad history, or something. Surprising, considering how polite and sophisticated the lady was. It was hard for him to believe that anyone, even someone as big and ill-tempered as this man could have any issue with her. Then again, it was still a fact that he knew very little about her whatsoever.

He opened his mouth, pointing the sharp blade at the Essyrni in hopes of making him stop dead in his tracks. Usually big, scary swords seemed to do the trick in making angry people calm down a little. Still, he didn't want to have to hurt anyone unless it was necessary. Or... Perhaps he just didn't want to ruin Evelyn's home by shedding blood everywhere. "Put the lady down... I'd hate to have to carve somebody up because they can't discuss business like a civilized human being." He said out loud, making his intentions well-known. "Put her down, and you and I can talk. Man to man."

visualspice

Na'hana came to a sudden halt and Evelyn nearly twisted off his shoulder and out of her towel. With a gasp, she peered over to see the stranger from the desert- whom was unrecognizable at first, what with his cleaned up look and attire, and a massive sword to boot. But before she could even utter a word, Na'hana was growling.

"Out of my way! This doesn't concern you, foreign pig."

KingTyrant

Foreign pig? Tri was slightly insulted by this. He had been called worse before by much more intimidating men, but it was the 'pig' part that really set him off. He may not have been the most formal man, but he at least had enough manners to be above that of a pig. Besides, the dude was fat enough to be a pig himself! Sighing internally, he took a step forwards.

"Intriguing argument. But I'm going to have to respectfully decline." He stated, spinning the massive sword. The light from the window glistened against the magnificent blade, the reflection enough to blind somebody as Tri did his best to resolve the situation so blood wouldn't have to be shed. Even if he had to intimidate to do so. "Now... I'll ask one more time as nicely as I can. Let her go, before I cleave off your grubby little hands." He said, a low growl to his voice.

visualspice

Though unnerved about the blade, it infuriated him this man dare make commands towards him.

"Who are you to demand such a thing, swordman?" Na'hana growled and fought his hold on the wriggling Evelyn.

"Let go go, Na'hana or else-" But a second later, the big man was howling as Evelyn chomped her teeth fiercely into his skin. She'd never heard him howl so loud  in her life, but it was enough of a motive for him to, quite literally, throw Evelyn off his form, to where she collided most painfully into the nearest wall before crumpling to the ground.

"The Woman Bit me!" he shrieked, holding the throbbing wound while reaching for his own blade. "You'll pay for that one, Woman!"

KingTyrant

Tri opened his mouth to speak, his brows raising as Evelyn uttered her own command at the Essyrni. Na'hana... Interesting name. Well, at least he now had something to call the man. But just as quickly as she ordered him to drop her, her teeth sank deep into the flesh of his arm, almost enough to draw blood. Tri jumped in surprise at this, hearing the blood-curdling scream of Na'hana which caused his ears to ring. As he tossed her to the side, causing her body to hit the wall, he ran at Na'hana as soon as he spotted the man's blade.

As he ran, his eyes kept drifting over towards Evelyn, who was curled painfully in her little ball after being tossed like a sack of potatoes. She was by no means a frail woman, but she was dwarfed by the massive size of Na'hana. There was a good chance she was seriously hurt, but she would be hurt even worse if he managed to get to her with the lethal blade. That was a risk that Tri couldn't take, so instead of focusing on her, he went straight for Na'hana.

Tri skidded to a halt in front of Na'hana, who seemed to be distracted by Evelyn's form laying on the floor. Crouching low, he thrusted the sword forwards in an attempt to disarm the blade from Na'hana's hand before taking the butt-end of his sword and ramming it up towards the man's jaw. He kept from slashing at Na'hana's body, still not wanting to kill anyone. After his first two lightning-quick movements, Tri grasped the flat edge of his sword before pinning the sharp blade against Na'hanna's neck, shoving him into the wall.

"Leave. Now." He ordered, beginning to press the blade into his skin. "While your throat is still in one piece."

visualspice

Irate, but not entirely stupid, Na'hana took a step back.
"Fine," and his eyes went over to Evelyn's crumpled form. "I wouldn't wish to stay in such company any longer than I'd want to share bread with fleas." He narrowed his gaze on Tri, angrily, but warily as well, as he moved to by pass his sword, hoping the swordman would keep his word and not cut him while he was trying to make his retreat. And while he did it, he committed the man's face to memory, so that he could remind himself later who he ought to have killed.

KingTyrant

Tri watched Na'hana leave, making sure he didn't come back for more. Once he heard the front door open and close, he raced over to Evelyn, quickly helping her up off the ground. He had his sword back in its scabbard, now more focused on making sure his host wasn't severely injured than the risk of Na'hana coming back and sneaking up on him. "Are you alright? Where does it hurt?" He asked, feeling around her side and arm. He was no healer, but he could at least figure out what to do for a bruise or cut, if she had anything of the sort.

He sighed heavily. Wonderful... This had to happen just as Tri was preparing to set out. Now he had to worry about Evelyn, and this new Na'hana character, who was for sure livid that he didn't get away with Evelyn or Thresha because of his interference. He finally noticed Thresha standing idly by, and narrowed his eyes. "You. Thresha. Lead me to her room. She needs to lay somewhere softer than a cold, hard floor..." He ordered. Thresha wasn't his servant, but Evelyn obviously wasn't in any shape to toss around orders. Hell, just moments ago she was slammed into a wall at full speed.

As he gave Thresha the order and was led to Evelyn's private chambers, somewhere he probably shouldn't have been, he gently laid her down. Feeling around the same area as before, where he saw her collide with the wall, he repeated his question from earlier. "Evelyn, I'll ask once more. Where does it hurt?" He questioned, obviously feeling as if he owed something to the woman that saved his life. He looked at Thresha. "Do we have any ice? Something to numb whatever wounds she may have?" It was a rather stupid question, seeing that they were out in the desert, where most water would evaporate on contact with the hot sand, but there had to be something he could do for her...