Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Fresh Cargo From the Northern Sea [M]

Started by visualspice, July 05, 2016, 12:55:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

visualspice

Tags to @DragonSong !

Skies were scorched with the bellowing cries of men, their faces slick with the sweat and dirt of work, and their voices laced in blood. What had begun as a peaceful rally in the castle square outside the front of the Grand Duke's palace, in a far away land... in the North... in Connlaoth, turned into something wicked. It was a poison he could only preach against. And though his eyes burned with the pain of those suffering in this war, he could not stop what it had evolved into. Not after the Grand Army stepped in, their guns spitting fire into the crowds of many.

'Men are Fools. And I am but one of them. Yet I can only continue on the path in which ignites me.'

As the men screamed in agony, carrying on for an end, for peace, and for more blood....
He had to wonder...
'Oh, Angsar.... Forgive us all but we are men plagued with hatred so consuming its spread like a wildfire and plagued every inch of this blessed nation. And here we stand, to speak of peace, when all sides can do nothing but call out for war. I ask for you to forgive them, to help them see, that we are but men, not untamed beast. And that the illness of war be banished. For this to you, I fervently pray.'

He witnessed the horror first hand as the cannons of the army boomed into the crowd in Reajh. Blood and arms splattered across the square, breaking up cobblestone and bones.

"What are you doing!?" the priest's eyes were wild.  What was happening!? Why were the men attacking with war weapons when the people only protested with angered words, and a few- stones? "There are women! There are children!"
But the screams of soldiers and the cries of the fallen swallowed out the logic as the square was soon swollen in dust.

How many more canons would fire? How many more innocent would die? A bullet singed his shoulder, the closeness ringing in his ear as he let out a cry and gripped his shoulder as blood came warmly through his fingers. He nearly dropped the Book of the Word of Angsar from where he stood, bracing himself against his make shift pulpit. More canons were fired, and the ground shook, threatening to over turn him.

He couldn't believe this madness. He didn't want war. He wanted peace!

And despite the insanity that thundered around him, he got back up again onto his pulpit, words spitting from his mouth until he could no longer scream-

"WE ARE HERE FOR PEACE!" he bellowed. "WE DO NOT WANT THE BLOOD OF OUR MEN ANY LONGER! WE RALLY FOR PEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAACE! FOR PEACE IN THE NAME OF ANGSAR! IN THE NAME OF OUR PEOPLE! WE CALL OUT FOR NO MORE BLOOOOOOD!"

But perhaps it was all for nothing? Perhaps it was foolish to think that, even with a just avatar as Angsar, his own empire had been built on blood. War... it was a funny thing. A necessary evil, perhaps. But this evil... this war...
He lost sleep at night, tossng and turning over the very idea of it as his stomach burned him from the inside out. This was a war he knew even Angsar himself would condemn.

But he couldn't give up. He couldn't run away. And the sight of those who suffered carried him through the fray, that even long after the dust began to swell, his hoarse voice called out...

"Peace! We are here... here for PEACE!"

And it was the sound of boots crunching across the broken cobblestone that had him turned. And there he saw a group of soldiers look at him. They were angry, they were worn, and though they were armed with weapons, and he had nothing but 'Angsar's Bible' in his arm, he turned to them stlll, and used what voice he had left.

"It is never too late!" he croaked. "Peace must come to Connlaoth! Peace before the death of our brothers. Peace before the death of our sisters, our mothers and our wives. Our children! Peace before.." he went on shakily, weak. "Before we make our own nation fall! And Angsar's heaven turns to Hell."

And he wondered if the men had pitied him, staring at him as he was half draped over his pulpit, as they simply walked by.  By then, the square had emptied...
and what was left in the dust were the simple soldiers to clean up the mess that a rally of peace had erupted.

But his story hardly ended here. In fact....

This was only the beginning. For though the day had come and gone and more riots begun to errupt soon after, he retired to his lakeside home near the Matron. And from his porch at night, he watched the moon waver against restless waters. Clouds were moving in, but they did not snuff out the stars, the stars in which he looked upon, to stars to which he prayed.

He had gone out to his porch, the soft chirp of crickets, though calming, only reminded him of the calm before a storm. And even through it, he heard the foot falls approach. But he did nothing. The candle along the railing had nearly gone out by now. But he didn't think it would matter to replace it. And when the foot falls stopped, he tensed, but did not turn around and kept his eyes upon the lake.

"Father Danning Gates?" came a gruff voice from the darkness.

For a quiet moment, the priest enjoyed the tranquility of the Matron lake, and how the stars danced across its surface. It was peaceful, but it was just a reflection. The real peace was in the stars above. And he had to wonder when that peace would come to earth. Or were all men doomed by the damnation of anger that tainted their blood?

"Yes? I am Father Gates." he replied. And those would be the last words he'd speak in a good long while.

----------

A lethargic, creaking moan lulled him awake, into a world where everything, even his vision, hurt. And when the same creak came again, he felt himself being rocked in a new direction. There was something cold, and what sounded like a metal rattle, though in the same breath, it also had a sweet chiming ring to it. But it was when something tickled his arm did he jerk around to see...
A rat! A rat on his arm! He let out a cry, and jerked even more, despite the protests of his body, and the apparent, heavy metal chains that bound him, upside down int he hall of the boat...
With a hundred other men and women bound like himself.

His eyes were wild, and he moved futilely against his chains, as he simply swung back and forth at his own avail- and at the mercy of the slow rocking of the ship. And though he spent countless days.. weeks in the hull....
The worst part of these days where to watch the sufferings of men.

He didn't know when the boat had stopped rocking, or when there was the call of birds at the bank their ship had now perched. But when light flooded down into the room, those weary men in chains who remained alive could only lift their heads blindly, as they were released from where they hung, and whipped to walk, even though most were too weak to even stand.

Outside the boat the sun burned hotter than he'd ever known, and the world glowed yellow, an ironic contrast to what he pictured might be hell. There were trees with throngs and strange birds with long legs, and as he stumbled across the gang plank onto land....
Despite the thick grasses...
There was sand. Sand all around.

----

He closed his eyes at the memories that brought him here- and that fateful day he was tossed into the arena, sentenced to die after surviving so long a treacherous journey at sea. But it seemed, in some strange way, his prayers to live, to carry on the peace giving words of Ansgar, would save him. But he had to wonder where this would all lead- for this was a world in the sun, so far away from his land shaped by winds.

Perhaps he should be thankful he hadn't died, but those who had captured him were giddy and greedy for the coin they could fetch from such a man. He was unarmed but somehow survived in the arena, protesting in his own native tongue, while the rest of the world laughed in their's.

Perhaps that was why no one had bothered to purchase him- he was seen as the crow that never ceased, for all day he had cried out, voicing his thoughts on peace and tryign to gather what he could of the language- but would it be in vain? It seemed no matter what words he tried, foreign or not, he was laughed at- and whipped and flogged until he was shaking and spitting out blood. And the burns around his neck and wrist began to break open again- the raw flesh as horrid as the burned flesh he had gotten from the sun and sand. But this day in the busy streets of Essyrn was hardly over- and the only thing that had silenced Danning was when he was forced to drink an elixir that had him swaying and collapsing against his own volition.

It was only when the elixir began to fade away did he blink and a figure of a tall woman with dark skin stood before him, looking down at him as if he were some chop of meat.

"He looks like a burned pig," she commented, tilting her head calmly to one side. "But..." she sighed, staring down into his face. "Those eyes are raw... jewels of blue. And he looks strong enough. Surely his survival in the arena will make him pricey... but do you know what this foreigner can do?" The woman asked, and gestured to one of her men to begin their inspection.

Danning had been seated, but a quick tug to the chain round his neck forced him to his feet, and he let out a grunt of pain through bared teeth. He swayed a little, but two guards kept him upright, while his meager skirts were lifted as the woman began to inspect his goods.

"I guess he was left in tact for breeding?" she went on, gesturing for the men to drop the skirts and to bring him closer as she gave a gesture of her wrist. He was dragged forward, and he found his chin being pinched between the woman's hard finger nails.

She had orange eyes. He had never seen orange eyes.

"How much?" she asked. "To have him cleaned and delivered?"

"For you, Lady Kahalla? No less than three thousand gold I'm afraid."

The woman stiffened.

"Do you really think this scrappy pig would sell in the thousands?"

"I've already go some bids today. You... ought to place yours. We're eager to sell him. That is.. if you're interested. Three thousand or he goes to Lord Brau."

"Lord Brau?" Lady Kahalla wrinkled her nose and sighed. "I suppose I'll put my bid at three thousand." And she looked to the man." But nothing more. If someone wants to waste more gold, let them have him. Not sure I'd want him to breed with my stock... but.. I suppose foreigners have their own unsightly charm."

With a snap, her men returned to her side.

"I'll return before the sun sets to see if this jewel is mine."

And all Danning could do, was find himself staring back at the woman's retreating form, his tongue still swollen from the elixir, but he began to feel the prickling, tickling awakening of his limbs just as he was thrown towards a trough of watera nd commanded, "DRINK!"

Though no animal by any means, he was parched beyond belief. THankful they at least let him drink anything, he dunked his head into the water, and began to lap at it like a thirsty dog.
CHECK OUT MY LATEST SITE EVENT!
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

My currently active characters:
Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

DragonSong

"Your bleeding heart is going to get us both killed."

Darius shot her a look that clearly said he was unimpressed with her attitude. "Hush, Mina. We need someone to replace Lizabet, why not...well, adopt a rescue, as it were?"

Tamina snorted. "Because you want to save them all and we can't afford it. A trained whore would bring in more money anyway."

"Oh? And what if I'd taken that attitude when I found you, Miss Heartless?"

That shut her up, if only because it took her so long to think of a comeback that her employer had nearly disappeared into te crowds of the slave markets. Swearing under her breath, she hurried after him.

The foreigner caught Darius's eye immediately, not least because he was certainly I end the sorriest looking pieces of humanflesh that he'd ever seen. He approached slowly and flagged down the slaver who seemed to be in charge. "Excuse me. How much?"

Tamina could have slapped him.

visualspice

The man in charge of his chains peered up and a smile split across his face as he addressed, "Darius Farahn, it is a pleasure to see you. It has been sometime." He gave a respectable enough bow before turning his gaze to Tamina, before returning his attentions to the man.

His question had his eyes going to Danning, before he gave a short laugh and looked back to Farahn.

"This foreign pig? The one who laps water like a dog?"

It was here Danning lifted his gaze, waters dribbling down his face and eyes strained and burning, but their blue color was unmatched, even against the sky over Essyrn.

His seller gave a gently kick at the back of Danning's head, forcing him to hit his face off the water in the bowl again and make him sputter as he inhaled some.

"At least five thousand..." He stroked his chin thoughtfully at the man. "He is in tact.. if you wish to see.." And before he even agreed on it, Danning was forced up on his knees, and his skirts, yanked aside to reveal him all. Then he dropped the skirts, then the man.

"I thought you were into a different sort for your brothel... aiming to make a change, Darius Farahn?"
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

DragonSong

Darius fought the urge to wince in sympathy for the man- or punch the slaver. Either seemed like good options.

By contrast, Tamina gave the foreigner a calculating, up and down look. Well, he wasn't bad, maybe a little food, a bath... He might be serviceable.

"Something exotic always draws in customers," Darius said with a charming smile, rocking back on his heels. "But five thousand..."

"We won't go any higher than two," Tamina suddenly cut in. Darius closed his eyes- the girl could never keep her mouth shut, despite the fact that women weren't allowed to conduct business. "Two thousand is more than generous for someone untrained."

visualspice

"Ah, forgive me, but the bidding for this slave has gone up much higher than that. If you do not wish to pay the price.... I have other slaves who may be of interest to you," he went on, flashing a toothy grin.

Danning appeared like a pink, withered stone. His white skin was rashed and burned, and also appearing sickly- no doubt from a long voyage on the sea. And he had many unsightly bruises and a very haggard appearance. But when one were to look into his eyes, as Danning did so now as he peered up, those blue eyes piercing at Tamina, there was a whole other value brought to the surface.

"Eyes like sapphires," the slaver chuckled. "A rare enough thing. Definitely a potential at five thousand gold."

DragonSong

"Five thousand for blue eyes?" She snorted. "You're out of your gods-damned mind-"

"Deal."

Tamina gaped as Darius smiled politely and fished about in his pockets to retrieve a purse. "I'm afraid I'll have to pay some of it in credit, but you know I'm good for it. I can bring you the gold tomorrow."

visualspice

"Ah, yes, for that I know. But this slave has two others of interest, so if neither are willing to,pay more than your five thousand, then we can discuss payment tomorrow."

DragonSong

"More than five thousand?" Even Darius balked a little at that. "How much more?"

Tamina three her hands up in frustration. "Fine. Be an idiot. I'm going to find somethings that will actually make us some coin," she snipped at him before turning on her heel and stalking away.

Draconian

Tamina would come to a lavish stall. Silks. Jewels. A man done up in lovrly wonderful clothing and a woman, wearing many layers of a sheer silky material, jewels sewn into it. A lovely creature to be sure. But the man was growing restess. Two days now they'd been out here.

Two days.

But the girl was expensive and while a rare jewel the story that came with her - cursing those around her with infertility - made most people not so keen to add her to their stock.

Even now every look to the silver hared girl had the murmurs going. A sneer and Serenity ducked her head down, afraid she'd never be sold now.

"Miss!"  Serenity remained still like a doll, not looking at who her seller was speaking to. "I noticed you up there, chatting about that filthy young man," he also recognized the owner of the whore house he frequented.

"Might i interest you in this gem?" He moved to the girl, ushered her to stand up and removed a veil, the tickling of gems sounding like gentle raindrops. "Fully trained for a harem, untou-"

"Make you infertile that one!" Came a shout from another seller, "cursed she is! Killed her own sisters baby!" Serenity drew into herself, shoulders hunched slightly.

Her seller sneered, "i know what you do. She and her curse would he perfect for your establishment. 7k. Flat. Any profit you make off of her would be your own and trust me," he removed the rest of the veils and gave Serenity a command to do a spin, "shes very well trained and gain you a significant amount of profit." He chuckled, "why, you could probably auction off her first time for as much and you buy her for!"

Stupid rumours.

DragonSong

Tamina paused and glanced over the girl as she was called over. Though colder on the surface than her employer, she did have to bite back a snarl at the way the slave was treated like a particularly plump prize hen.

They were people, after all. Just because she'd wanted someone in the shop who could actually turn a profit didn't mean she didn't value their employees for who they were.

But seven thousand...

She frowned and crossed her arms. Ignoring the slaver, she said brusquely, "You, girl. How old are you?"

Draconian

A hesitant look to her seller who nodded at her. "Nineteen ma'am, " Serenity opened her mouth to say more but quickly closed it, eyes cast downwards again. "Nineteen, just turned it! Wont be twenty for almost a whole year," the seller replied intent in getting this wench so hr could finally go home.

visualspice

Where Danning was kept he was able to look down on the area Tamina had vanished. He was tired, sitting and leaning against a railing as he studied the pair in silence.

DragonSong

Evidently ignoring his companion- she'd do what she wanted, Darius had no doubt- he tilted his head at Danning, then the slaver.

"I can give you four thousand now," he told the man. "The rest will have to come tomorrow."

Draconian

The seller frowned.

"6500. Final offer. Been here two days. Just want her gone so i can go home," Serenity cast a curious look to the man that looked over at her and tilted her head. Frowning slightly at how... unsightly he was.

visualspice

The seller rubbed his chin in thought.
"Four thousand now you say?" That was a guaranteed greater sell, even if the man never came back but...
"Four thousand now then, and I'll clean the slave up for you to collect tomorrow."
He wasn't about to let the slave go without full payment. He'd been burned too many times from it.

Danning seemed none the wiser, he knew common, but not Essyrni, so the language was lost on him. Not that it mattered anyway. His fate was a dismal one, and when Serenity caught his sight, he sighed and turned away. He felt wretched, and turned his blue eyes back to the seller and Darius, wondering what they were talking about, and what other illfated plans were in store for him.

He found it strange. He had always dreamnt of travel...
But now this? This made him realize how human he was, and just how large the world really was. Even still, he was not broken yet, and took his eyes towards the skies, where he studied the strange birds in flight. Although one kind seemed common-
Seems pigeons were everywhere.

DragonSong

"Very well." Darius narrowed his eyes slightly as he handed over the purse. "But I expect a full return of my money if he's not here tomorrow."

He cast the slave another glance, for the first time meeting his eyes for longer than a moment. A flash of pity, mixed with an attempt at a reassuring expression crossed his face, then it was gone.

Across the way, Tamina nodded sharply. "Done. Here's your money."

Draconian

"Pleasure doing business with you," the seller said, voice turning oily and silky smooth, he drew the veils over Serenity again before grabbing a roll of parchment. A signature with a bit of ink which he turned over to Tamina to sign. "She's officially yours," he smiled and nudged the girl forward.

It was all the info they had on her. Or at least all the info they wanted people knowing. Serenity gave the woman a gentle little smile before bowing forward, a little relieved she didnt seem violent or angry. Serenitys main concern was being hurt. She was never really fond of violence. "Where would you like me, Mistress?" She spoke softly, eyes downcast, looking at her delicately slippered feet.

DragonSong

Tamina signed the paper quickly, then crossed her arms over her chest and eyed the girl.

Nineteen. A little old to still be a virgin, at least in Essyrn. "You've really never been touched, huh?" she mused- not accusing, more taking stock.

She beckoned her forward, away from the slaver. "Just stick close to me for now. What's your name, kid?"

visualspice

The seller gave Darius a greasy smile.
"A pleasure doing business with you. I look forward to you returning tomorrow for your foreign slave. Now you can boast you're the only brothel with such stock. He looks hardy enough and is a thorough bred Connlaoth! A rare find so far south! You won't be disappointed. I'll clean him and soak him in fine oils, I recommend do to the nature of his pale skin, that you treat his skin the same, less it begins to peel and look unappetizing. If you wish to keep him pale, keep him out of the sun. Northern stock gets quite ill, and water him frequently, both his body and for a drink. And if he starts to smell, use more oils on him and bathe him extra, males up north are known to be quite sweaty creatures."

Tags: