Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

The Wolf Rises(Moonie)

Started by Jace, August 30, 2016, 10:17:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jace

Jason was relieved when he saw both Sahara and the new wolf shift into their human forms. His muscles relaxed once more, the tension fading quickly from his body. The new wolf was sitting back, holding the pup against her bare chest. There was no more growling or snarling coming from her, but that didn't mean she had stopped glaring at them.

His heart grew heavy at her words. He hated killing, even when it was a necessity. He wore a solemn expression as he spoke. "We heard rumors of a wolf attacking the village. A young girl was murdered. Separately, we came here to track it down and stop it. We crossed paths along the way, but we managed to track the wolf here. It was rabid and wild. We had to put it down..." the strain in his voice illustrated the pain he was in from having to kill the poor animal. "That's when you're pup wandered in."

Zero

It wasn't only Jason who relaxed a little when the growling female shifted into her human form. Sahara let out a relieved breath when it seemed the stranger was willing to at least speak to them before deciding if they were friends or enemies. She tried to give the pair a reassuring smile as Jason explained the situation to her. Surely the'd understand that they didn't have a choice but to put the wolf down and that they hadn't meant to cause alarm.

"We were very surprised to see a little pup out here. He was frightened by our human forms at first, but I tried to show him we were friendly. I'm sorry if we caused you worry." Sahara wasn't sure what else she could really say to try to aid Jason in reassuring the newcomer and her pup.

DragonSong

Now convinced that these strange wolves were simply new, not dangerous, Bay was wriggling in his anxiety to get closer and sate his curiosity. Jo kept him clutched tight to her chest, a low, reproving rumble echoing through her rib cage.

It wasn't so much that she didn't believe Sahara and Jason- she saw no reason why they should lie, and she could sense no deceit from them. But she was wary of other wolves on principle, and the sharpness to her gaze didn't fade.

"Alright... Well. We're leaving." She stood and Bay whimpered pitifully, ears flattening to his skull. "Ah-" She suddenly paused, cursing herself for not thinking of a potential danger sooner. "Where is your pack?" A lone wolf or two was a rare thing, to her knowledge.

Jace

Everything seemed to calm down quick enough. The new she-wolf was apparently satisfied that they weren't enemies by Jason and Sahara's answers. Still, she didn't look as if she wanted much to do with the pair of wolves, saying that she and the pup were leaving before standing. Her next words caught Jason off guard though. A question he didn't think he would need to answer so soon.

"Our pack?" he repeated, blatant confusion on his face turning into a look of contemplation as he decided on how best to answer. His eyes glanced over to Sahara, trying to catch hers before returning to look upon the newcomers and speaking. "Well, I don't have a pack right now. I never got the chance to ask Sahara here. Truthfully I had heard rumors of wolves passing through here more often lately and I headed this way hoping I might be able to protect them as they traveled, perhaps even gathering those that chose to stay nearby and make a home here in the Niahi Woods." he turned to look at Sahara now, a kind smile on his face.

"I know we've just met, but would you be willing to join up with me in looking after others of our kind? I'd really appreciate your help. If not I understand." he said hesitantly. He wasn't sure how exactly to approach the subject, but he certainly hadn't been planning on doing so like this. Before Sahara could answer he turned back to the other she-wolf. "That invitation extends to you and your pup as well. Even if you didn't care to help look out for the others, we're safer together than on our own. I'd make sure the both of you were safe and taken care of." Hopefully it sounded as appealing to the three as he thought it had. He could only wait for an answer now, the anxiety building up within his body not knowing what the outcome might be.

Zero

Sahara felt her chest tighten slightly at the question, suddenly flooded with the longing for her pack as she thought of just how very far from home she really was. It had been so long since she'd seen any of them. Did they even still think of her? They probably assumed by now that she was one of the ones that wouldn't be returning from their journey. Six years was a long time, and Sahara still had not felt that she had discovered what her wolf needed yet. Maybe she wasn't meant to return to her birth pack.

Completely unbidden, her olive eyes had become misty with unshed tears. She caught Jason's eyes for just a moment before he answered the question she hadn't known how to respond to. A small look of shock came over her when he turned back to her with that kind smile to ask her to join him. How should she even respond to that? She had a pack, but had been gone so long...

"I want to help as many wolves as I can." There was conviction in her voice, for that was always the focus of her journey. Sahara smiled faintly, obviously battling with her own inner turmoil over making such a decision, but joining him now didn't mean never going home, did it? She didn't think so. Surely this was a good use of her time until she felt the call to return to her original pack, right? "I'd be happy to help you, Jason. For as long as I can."

DragonSong

"I don't..." Josephine paused, took a breath, and tried again. "Bay and I are better off on our own. I appreciate what you're trying to do, and I'm sorry for the...misunderstanding. But we should go-"

As she turned to leave, her pup suddenly let out a heart-wrenching, wailing howl. The poor thing had only ever had his mother, really, and his wolf was crying out for companionship.

Her heart broke at the sound. But she had to protect him! This was for the best, wasn't it? Who knew what true wolves would do when and if they learned of her boy's heritage.

Jace

His smile broadened as he heard Sahara's answer. She had agreed to join him, the first member of his new pack. His new family. He was happy that she agreed, he could certainly use her help looking after the many wolves passing through this place lately. His immediate happiness was short lived, however, when the other wolf had hesitantly turned down his offer. She didn't seem so sure of her answer, something that became obvious to him as he saw her face when the pup let out a terribly sad howl as she turned to leave with him. The red-eyed wolf's heart felt like it was going to break. He couldn't let this woman and her pup just leave to wander on their own again. He had to at least make sure they were safe for the night.

"At least spend the night here. I have a sort of camp set up in the forest not far from here. It's in a small clearing near a river. It's far enough from any humans or paths that we wouldn't be discovered. The trees and large boulders scattered throughout give enough shelter to sleep comfortably. And there is ample room for your pup to play." he said quickly, hoping the wolf might take up his offer for company and shelter for the night. It was getting late after all, the light in the forest was nearly gone now.

Jason glanced hesitantly at the she-wolf he had been addressing, unsure of whether she would agree to stay or not. Slowly, he limped the few remaining feet toward her and the pup, crouching low to the ground and holding his right hand forward, palm up. His body language had no aggression or deceit in it, simply being open and welcoming as he tried to say hello to Bay as the wolf called him.

Zero

What a heartbreaking sound. Crying children tugged at the maternal instincts of Sahara, and a sad howling pup was just as heartrending. The poor little thing was obviously desperate for the companionship of his own kind. Why would this mother choose to stay away and isolate herself and her baby from those that could protect and care for them both? She just didn't understand it.

"Please, listen to him. You'll be safe with us tonight and your son can spend a little time with his own kind. Can't you hear his longing?" Wolves needed other wolves. Despite her six year journey Sahara had always missed the fellowship of another wolf and had sought them out whenever possible.

DragonSong

Jo started to snarl. "I-"

She looked down at Bay as he whimpered and pawed her collar. For a long moment she stayed silent, then: "One night." Her eyes narrowed at the other wolves. "One."

Bay yipped and licked her chin, his little body wiggling as he sensed more than understood the change in her decision.

Jace

The other wolf was surely about to insist on leaving, but when she saw her pup whimpering and pleading to stay with Jason and Sahara she eventually gave in. She agreed to stay one night with them. Sure, it wasn't the most ideal outcome that the young Alpha had imagined, but at least now he knew they would be safe for the night.

The relief was plain on his face now, a caring smile began to form on his lips before he winced from the pain of standing on his freshly injured leg. "Great! At the very least you will be well rested when you decide to leace." he said, now recovered from the shock of pain he had received just moments ago. "Um, it's not too far from here now. It'd be faster if we shifted, but I'm not sure I should until my leg is at least a little more healed. Would you mind walking like this for now?" he asked. He knew the two human hunters he had left were far enough away from here now that it wouldn't matter that Bay was still in wolf form. He couldn't smell any other humans nearby either, which was no surprise being this deep into the forest.

If Sahara and the others agreed to walk, he would motion for them to follow as he headed northeast. They walked for maybe twenty minutes before finally arriving at his make-shift home. It was a small clearing with a wide river flowing past on the opposite side of the treeline that the wolves had come from. In the center of the clearing was a fire pit surrounded by large boulders that had obviously been placed their intentionally to act as seats. To the left of the wolves about twenty feet or so away were three small huts made out of branches, leaves and vines from the surrounding area. It was intended as shelter for any wolves that Jason may have run across while he stayed here. "It's not much, but it's open enough to relax as the wolf and deep enough into the forest that we won't have to worry about anyone or anything bothering us. I hope it's ok." he said, turning back to face his new companions.