Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Bad Day, Worse Night [open]

Started by glorilyss, September 02, 2016, 11:32:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

glorilyss

This wasn't the first time she'd found herself at an unfamiliar tavern, but the slender elven girl didn't let that stop her.

The day had started with a half-drunken stumble through woods, the occasional stop to hunt and rest and hone her blades; as the sun slid westwards and the air grew cooler, the girl knew she needed something more substantial than the bush she'd fallen asleep in just a few days ago. Which, in her case, of course meant the nearest tavern.

Well, why not? Taverns were warm, full of people; they often had a storage room to spend the night in, they had food that she didn't have to kill, skin, and cook herself; but more than that, they had (hopefully) a good glass of red, or an even better glass of the clearest spirits strong enough to knock out a bull elephant in its prime. Which, after the wretched day she'd had so far, she could go for. Or, rather, nine or ten glasses. As a professional idiot and a habitual drunk, Birdie knew how to hold her alcohol.

Slippining into the confines of the sprawling village, the elf paused, sweeping her eyes laterally. No obvious threats, though she frankly didn't care; in the list of "hobbies," the only thing under "professional drinking" was talking more shit than the other person. Her eyes landed with pinpoint accuracy on the nearest house of ill repute, irately slamming open the front door and throwing herself into the nearest vacant chair.

"What's it take to get a drink in this place?" she snarled at the mousy bar-wench, rewarded a few minutes later with a thick tankard of amber ale with a solid two inches of foam on the top. It wasn't the best, but it would do; Birdie quaffed half of the cup back before swinging around to study the rest of the bar. Elfen features and a pretty face suggested that she was an easy target, but the glittering silver sheen of the stiletto knife at her side and the pale string of a bow across suggested otherwise. Please, someone try me.

Jace

"Ugh. There's blood on my damn sleeve. This is a new shirt!" said the man as he stood up and kicked the limp body of some high profile target who's name had happened to come across Micael's list. He didn't even know why the guy was wanted dead, just that the job paid well and was an easy mark for the old wolf. He was just a simple human after all, not much he could have done against the Shadow-Wolf. Taking one final look around the room for anything worth nicking, Micael shrugged and left the building with a disgusted look on his face. He would meet with the man who put out the hit in the morning. For now, he decided he would head to the tavern for a drink.

It didn't take him long before he wandered into his usual haunt. The whole bar went quite when he walked in. Hushed whispers saying things like 'That's him, the Shadow Wolf' or 'Stay clear, he's dangerous', you know, the usual for someone in Micael's profession. Of course it only lasted a few moments before the crowd resumed their lively chatter, knowing that the wolf preferred not to be the figure of attention. It appeared there was someone else in there that he hadn't seen before though. A pretty young elven girl at the bar. She looked like she could handle her own in a fight. She might make for interesting company. Micael walked straight over to the bar and took a seat right next to the girl, not bothering to look at her.

"Give me your strongest whiskey Milli. It's been a long day." he said to the girl behind the bar. It was a matter of seconds before she had his drink ready for him. Grabbing the glass with his left hand and lifting it to his mouth, Micael let the amber liquid flow over his lips and down his throat. The warm sensation he got when it passed his chest was one of the few things he loved. It was familiar an signaled a good night ahead. Swirling the glass around once before setting it down, he would address the elf girl beside him, still not looking at her. "That's a nice blade. Sure you know how to use it?" the words came out with an obvious teasing tone, a small smirk playing across his lips.

glorilyss

It had only been a few moments of swill-tasting ale before the door opened and the tavern closed its mouth.

Of course, Birdie was primarily curious and partly an idiot; curiosity killed the cat could not have described her better. At the instant silencing of mundane voices, Birdie half-twisted in her bar stool, gray eyes flicking over the shape in the doorway. Tall. Armed, it seemed; broader in shoulder. Threat.

So, of course, she had to talk to him. Because it was so obvious, right?

Still, she wasn't a total idiot. The slender figure sat on her bar stool, half-turning away from the approaching figure as if she wasn't much interested. However, when he ordered something much strong than horse-swill ale and actually got it, she couldn't help an exasperated squeal bursting from her chest.

"I swear! How do you get something stronger than this and not be a girl?" Her voice was full of mock fury, a sweet pout on lips not-quite-full and eyes that glittered with mischief. At his playful comment, her fingers fluttered automatically to the shape of the stiletto at her hip. "Ah, darlin', it's not this blade you've gotta worry about." A quick flick of her wrist and the thirteen-inch hunting knife she kept strapped to her thigh, conveniently out of line-of-sight, appeared in her hand. She flicked her eyes toward the newcomer, a wicked grin curving the corner of her mouth and her fingers dancing over the blue-leather handle. "It's this one."

Jace

He knew this girl would be fun. So far he wasn't disappointed. At his teasing comment the elf had flicked her wrist and produced a hunting knife from somewhere on her body. She was faster than he had anticipated. Even his enhanced senses barely picked up her movements. His smile broadened as a thin black tendril flashed outward from the shadow of his arm on the bar and snatched the knife from the girl's hand, stabbing it into the bar in front of her before the tendril resumed it's normal form. "Millie I'll take another. And get one for my friend here too." The girl obediently poured the two drinks Micael had asked for and placed one on the bar in front of each of them. Finally, he turned to look at the girl who had caught his attention and gave her a quick wink with his left eye.

"You really shouldn't play with knives sweetie. You might hurt yourself." he said letting a soft chuckle escape his lips. It had been a long time since the wolf had allowed himself to have any fun. After the day he had had Micael figured he might as well see what a few good drinks and a spunky elf would bring. "The name's Micael. I've never met an elf before." he said before taking another swig of his drink.

glorilyss

Of course, elves weren't the run-of-the-mill humans; they had sharper ears, betters eyes than most, too. But even still, seeing that tiny tendril of black snake out of nowhere and literally yank her blade out of her hand? Amazing, and not in the good way. Instantly, part of her brain kicked in - you know, the part that protects idiotic drunk wayfarers like her from getting killed - and flicked her eyes toward him, finally fully alert.

"Okay, so you're good," she admitted, not afraid, but certainly respectful. Birdie did not hold with magic - didn't like it, didn't use it, didn't even particularly want to hear about it. For her, the most honest way to see the world, to be in it, was to use what you had: hands, feet, knives, ears, eyes. So while she didn't hate it, she didn't trust it. After all, magic had gotten her father killed, and had neglected to save her mother.

But still: she loved a good argument. So, shelving her problems with this person's dark-shadow-snuggle-thingies, she tossed back her head, a rich ripple of hair accenting the throaty gurgle of laughter. "Oh, honey, who ever said anything about playing? I don't really like games." Her words meant nothing; they could have meant anything. She reached down and flipped the razor-sharp stiletto out of its belt holster, twisting it between her fingers to let the light sink into the vivid lapis and iolite inlays. Laying it almost reverently against the bar top, she snaked her fingers around the rocks glass and tossed the whiskey back, giving only the quickest jerk of her head against the vividly painful bite of the alcohol.

"Birdie. And I've never met anyone who could do that before," she added, flicking a glance to the hunting knife still quivering in the deep wood. If the barkeep gave her hell, she'd point them to the mysterious stranger's tab. After all, a handsome man with an understanding of bladework? They didn't come along every other day.

Jace

This one had a lot of spunk in her. She was either incredibly confident or incredibly stupid. He couldn't tell which. Not like he cared either way, Micael was just enjoying her company for now. "It's something I picked up a long time ago from a man I saw as a father." the wolf said in response. He paused a moment there, letting himself remember a fond time from decades past, a time when it was just him and the old man. He took another sip of the whiskey still in his hand.

"You're not so bad yourself by the way. Certainly faster than I expected. What brought you to this neck of the woods anyway? Elves don't usually frequent this area."

glorilyss

In truth, Birdie was really a relative mix of the two: utterly confident and slightly dumb. Borderline arrogant combined with foolish naivete had produced a near-fatal mix of insouciance and an over-inflated sense of self-esteem, which helped when your only mission in life was the have fun, take shots, and get pretty things, but unsurprisingly made the whole "survival" and "friendship" thing a little more difficult than it had to be.

When Micael answered her question, she slid her eyes sideways. "What do you mean, 'saw'- oh shit, I'm sorry," she mumbled with a sympathetic grimace and an inward winge of annoyance. Trust Birdie to be a total idiot and not pick up on the obvious. Oh well; others' emotions hadn't really bothered her before, and they probably wouldn't start any time soon.

"Ah, well, I'm an elf, you know how we are." She shrugged delicately, pretending to modesty but thrilled to learn that she wasn't totally losing her edge. "And you're right, I almost never come to this area - not that I'm anything like most elves, if you ask them," she added with another half-smothered chuckle. "But a job brought me down here, and I'll probably pick up another one before moving on." She carefully kept her answer vague; different people reacted to her job position in very varied ways.

Jace

Micael let out a small chuckle at the girl's realization of what he meant and mumbled apology. He never really had any memories of his parents and it had been many decades since Astrik's death. He had had plenty of time to come to terms with that and move on. Of course, giving his outward appearance, no one would assume such a thing. "Don't worry about it. I've had decades to come to terms with it." he responded to Birdie as he signaled for Milli to bring them another round of drinks.

The old wolf listened as the elf gave one vague answer after another to his questions. Still, she had given away more than she thought she had. The other elves didn't consider her to be anything like them. A job had brought her here and another would probably take her away. She carried not one, but two knives on her that were obviously well taken care of as well as a bow strung across her back. She was skilled with both knives from what he had seen this far and she was certainly confident in her ability to take care of herself. Perhaps a bit too confident, but still. She was too young to have taken part in any wars and Micael seriously doubted she was part of any militia or enlisted in any military force that would explain the girl's personality and behavior. All of this pointed to very few possibilities. One, she had been disowned from her family and exiled by the other elves. She was dressed too fine for that and had expensive taste. Two: she was an elf royal. This would explain the clothing and confidence verging on arrogance. Even the skills with bow and blade. But not what she was doing in this area, and certainly not on her own. Or why a job would bring her here. No. The third possibility was probably the best choice. She was a mercenary. Everything fit into that, including the vagueness of her answers.

This all went through Micael's mind in a matter of seconds. In his line of work it was important to be able to think quickly, make decisions at a moments notice and always be able to figure out how a person thinks and why. And this wolf had been doing it for many many years now. "So. You're a mercenary then. Probably from a family in decent standing, but not wealthy by any means. Certainly not royal. Which explains why you would take such an occupation. It certainly pays well." he said low enough so that no one else would hear. If she was being vague about it she must not want anyone to know; and Micael certainly wasn't one to go blabbing other people's secrets. At least not without getting paid for doing so. He took another, larger, sip of his whiskey. The glass was emptied in one gulp this time and he added it to the other three empties that were on the bar in front of him. Not more than a few seconds after he had set it down was there another to take it's place. Milli must have caught on that this was going to be one of those nights.

glorilyss

Despite the fact that she didn't really care for most people's opinions and hurt feelings, she was still a little relieved that her unlikely companion wasn't particularly upset about the whole "oops I made you think about your dead father figure" thing. She wasn't particularly up for a night of squabbling with someone over people who were dead, especially when she wanted to get particularly drunk, raise some level of hell, and take a nap. Still, she had to doubt his claims - he'd had decades to get used to it? He hardly looked older than she did, and Birdie had an extra dimension of youth about her because of slowness with which elves aged. Maybe he was a little over-dramatic. Oh well; not her problem.

And though she could practically feel the psycho-analyzing that had been going on between the two of them ever since they'd set eyes on each other, Birdie found it pretty hard to care. It was only her job that she'd been discreet about; anyone who'd ever met an elf would know that the riotous, heavy-drinking female didn't fit in with their ideals of wisdom and learning, the stuffiness of their ways, the tightness of the shackles they wore around their emotions. None of that was really right for her; though, to be fair, if someone hadn't had many run-ins with elves, the only thing they'd have to go off of would be the legends. Even still, those still told a lot, and it was pretty clear that she just didn't fit the picture.

"Ding ding ding! Get the man a prize!" she chirped, grinning manically and rolling her eyes. "Yes, I am, to give my fulled occupational title, Birdie, lady-at-arms and a hired hand. I wouldn't normally say anything, but since you're just so good at puzzles, well." She shrugged, rolling the liquid around the inside of her glass, admiring the amber sparkles it threw on her face. The mention of her family had hurt for a while, but it didn't anymore - they were just.. dead. Not that she was going to mention that, just yet.

"And you're certainly right. With the civil war coming, Connlaoth is a great place to find a few protection contracts. It's a good time for making money. What can I say?" Another shrug; her hair flicked over her shoulder with a mindless gesture. "I like pretty things." She absent-mindedly drew her finger down the gleaming length of the stiletto, finger twirling around the inset lapis and iolite with obvious loving delight.

Gawfy

After walking for God knows how long Gawfy had finally made it to a tavern. The creaky door opened and his steel armor clanked as he approached the Bar. After ordering some water and some ale for the road he looked around the tavern and saw what looked like a elf girl with a small blade on her maybe for self defence? She was engaged in small talk with what looked like a man. Gawfy thought maybe he would introduce himself Hello strangers I'm.. And before he could mutter his name his sword broke from the hook on his armor that held it snugly. As it fell it made a deafening clang. Ever patron adverted their eyes to see what the noise was

Jace

The elf girl had confirmed what Micael had suspected. She was in fact a mercenary. He couldn't help but feel a sense of smugness that he had been right. It probably showed on his face as he knocked back another full glass of the whiskey he had been drinking. This girl really was something else. "Well if you like pretty things, I have a jo-" his words were cut off by another's voice followed by a loud sound of heavy metal crashing to the floor. It was so deafening that the entire tavern stopped making noise and turned to inspect the source of the sound.

A man in full steel armor had apparently wandered into the bar and dropped his sword. Was he some sort of knight or something? Micael couldn't tell just yet, but he was sure he would in time. The old wolf let a smile cross his face as another tendril of black swiftly snaked it's way across the floor from Micael's shadow, picked up the sword, and held it up for the newcomer to take. Once he had, the tendril would retract itself back to where it had came just as the earlier one had done. "Might want to get that hook fixed friend. Wouldn't want to be dropping your weapon in a tight spot." the male said not unkindly.

He motioned for Milli to bring another glass of whiskey, which Micael then held out for the man. "Why don't you have a drink on me."

glorilyss

Birdie wasn't dumb, and she could see the smug look on the man's face, but surprisingly left it alone. If he thought he knew everything about her, he'd quickly find out otherwise. However, for a girl who was having a bit of trouble finding a decent contract on her own, the job offer - for surely, that's what it was? - was instantly worth her time. "Job?" she cut in, even before he could fully finish.

And then the steel-clad man came in. "Oh. darling, You shouldn't be walking around in that." She gave an almost cat-like purr, leaning out of her seat. "It's just been getting so warm lately, y'know? You'll cook in a moment." She took a deep breath as if smelling fresh meat. "But yes, come sit with us, dearie." A thin ankle slid an empty barstool out, and she arched an eyebrow at the newcomer. He was clearly dressed for battle; was he friend? Or foe?

Gawfy

Gawfy watched as as this, well Gawfy did not know what he was picking  up his hulking sword with ease and handing  it to him. "Uh thank you" He said to the "man" Gawfy did not know what to make of it. But he knew he would not want to fight This entity Doing so he may not leave unscarred or alive even. "I get around okay, better to be in my armor and not need it than not be in it and need it" Gawfy said warmly to the elf Girl. Then turned his attention to the man with drink "Thanks for the Drink What do they call you? gawfy asked as he sat in the stool the elf had pulled up for him.

Jace

Micael's smirk widened as Birdie chimed in with him, teasing the newcomer about his armor. He cast a quick glance sideways, trying to catch her eye before returning his attention to the man in armor. The male accepted the drink the wolf had handed him and took a seat in the stool that Birdie had so graciously pulled up for him with her ankle.

"Micael. This here is Birdie," he said in answer to clumsy-armor-guy's query. "We were just talking about how great it would be for a clumsy knight to join us, weren't we?" he said teasingly. Though for someone who didn't know him it probably would have come off rude, not that the wolf cared much about that. He did and said just what he wanted to when he wanted to. "What do they call you?"

Gawfy

Gawfy had finished the drink Micael Gave Him. The names Gawfy. Failed knight turned sellsword He added Before you ask i was kicked out because they said my sword wasn't, "standard issue" that and the pay was horrid and the nobles in serendipity did not find my style of well cleaving every thing in two very "honorable" he stated I take it the little lady is a mercenary? He inquired But what would that make you? He wondered

glorilyss

Birdie had to admit - humans were just so cute. They responded so instinctively to anything that even looked like kindness; well, at least, most of them did. This stranger was no different; his voice was warm when he spoke to them, and he seemed pretty okay - normal, at least, and safe. She didn't know if she could take him in a hand-to-hand fight, but she could certainly outrun him. She may not be as tall as him, but she was undoubtedly much lighter, being classically slender and also only wearing the lightest possible armor. She wasn't nervous - and if anything, she had the feeling that if the knight had posed any sort of problem, her new friend Micael would probably be honor-bound to engage him in a fight first. The mercenary had absolutely no reservations with letting the boys distract each other while she got out - at least, if it came to that.

Oh. Oops. While she'd been dandering about in her head, she'd been spoken to. Idiot. She came to just at the exact moment Micael shot her a glance. Catching his eye, she raised a fiery eyebrow in a delicate arch, halfway a challenge. Turning her attention back to the man, she stiffened when her drinking companion introduced her - and quite without her permission. Out of the direct line of sight of the newcomer, she tried to swing her foot toward Micael's shin in the attempt to kick him. What a jerk! How dare he! Maybe she'd wanted to use a fake name!

Ugh, distracted again. She dragged herself out of her mind one more time, this time latching onto something a little more likely to distract her properly - the barmaid. In an undertone, so as not to disturb the boys, she quietly asked for a bottle of wine, swiveling back just in time to hear the newcomer's name. New glass of a thick red in hand, she had lifted it to her lips just in time to exasperatedly spit it out again. "You know," she replied to Gawfy, "Women tend to like to keep private things private. We like a sense of mystery." Her voice was prim, brittle and icy at once. "Besides," she added in a much lower hiss, "For all I know, someone in this bar could have known that guy I offed the other day, and how many mercenaries do you think just go strolling around?" Still, she wasn't exactly furious, even though it was a valid concern. She just thought she'd been a bit more discreet than she really was.

Gawfy

Gawfy eyed the Bow she was carrying with her. To be fair Miss Birdie The best a couple of people in a bar could do against some one like you is set up an ambush outside of town, and with that bow of yours you could probably take 10 or so down in thirty seconds,Given that bow isn't for show He Teased as he gently handed the barmaid some coin as he ordered food. And Micael seems to be a regular in this bar correct? Then he would notice if or when some one was eavesdropping on us He explained. Gawfy eyed the elf girl up and down noticing her hunting knife and lean frame Somthing tells me this girl is more clever than she lets on He thought But enough about that you two are free to what ever food the barmaid brings back He exclaimed warmly

Jace

The newcomer must have overheard a bit of the pair's last conversation. Either that or Birdie was more renowned than she thought she was. It didn't really matter which, only that armor-guy apparently knew she was a mercenary. Micael smirked at the response the elf girl had given about someone in the bar knowing the guy she put down. It was possible, sure, but highly improbable.

"What does that make me? It makes me feel like I need another drink." he said in response to the male's question as he motioned for yet another glass of whiskey. He was certainly starting to feel it now, his head buzzing slightly as the alcohol began to take affect. The wolf didn't much like to make himself vulnerable, so he had spent a good decade learning how to be just as observant and capable when he was hammered as he was when sober. Though, it would take a minute or two of adjusting before being able to do exactly that. "The hell's a failed knight doing 'round here anyway? Man this tavern sure is attracting a strange assortment today."

Gawfy

The Alcohol seemed to be hitting the man Now I am looking for work Gawfy said plainly
Ive just gotten away from connolith's front lines and lemme tell you Both sides are stingy with their money Gawfy said reminiscing When i worked for the Current king i helped fell a young dragon with my sword here Lopped its head clean off he said has he Grabbed his sword and pointed to a indent in one of its sharp sides This costs quite the coin to fix and their treasurer only payed me 20 extra silver! He scoffed  Same story with the rebels, About a month after i switched sides a group of shifters attacked us in the night, And after routing 3 of the damn things the rest of the bunch ran off He said as he grabbed his Cup Take a guess how much they payed me for taking down 3 wolves He started to drink more  By myself might i add, the rest of the men hid in their tents like cowards! Gawfy began to bore himself with these stories Whats a mage like you doing in a town like this Gawfy retorted back