Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

The Ephemeral Shop [Open]

Started by Armorend, September 04, 2016, 12:20:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Armorend

La'Marri, during the day, tended to be a bustling hub of magic, work, and even some trading. People of all races and ages practiced and honed their craft, the open nature of the locale meaning it was easier to practice and avoid mishaps.

As day broke once-again, Aelynn knew there would once-again be many possibilities to learn about the mortal races of this magical land through the building he operated. The people of other lands tended to be more spiteful than the ones here; La'marrian citizens may not always be cordial, but their generally-positive relations intrigued Aelynn.

Due to this, it was decided that the "shop" he owned would appear in La'marri for a few hours, along with one or two other locales, in an insignificant part of the locales it chose. And so the building would sit, wedged between two shops in La'marri, a typical place Aelynn chose for it since passersby would see a small, one-story building with a sign next to the door that read "Open".

Jace

It had been a few years since the old wolf had heard talk about this shop appearing in La'maari. Last time he had seen Aelynn, the owner, was....when he had helped Micael with that nasty curse he had triggered on an unusually difficult job. It was odd that he had chosen now to reappear. Micael had been trying to contact the sentient collection of strange magical energies for months now with no luck. He had questions for the being the he hoped would be answered.

It was just past noon when the 5 foot 9 male with a scar over his left eye had walked into the shop, immediately spotting who he wanted to talk to. A genuine smile appearing on his face, Micael walked right over to the shop owner and greeted it. "Aelynn! It's been a long time my friend. How've you been?" he asked pleasantly. The formalities of his visit could be pushed aside for after they caught up a bit.

Salzem

Demagogue was already in the old magic's shop as one man entered. He was looking about he wears within the store, slightly bemused with what he saw. He found it hard to understand why mortals would care for such trinkets. Gold was only a pretty object that is generally agreed to have value when it, quite literally had no real value. The Skeleton's glowing orbs bounced from object to object observing the materials with an rather detatched eye. He supposed it was something he'd never understand about them. Demons, on the other hand, knew what really had value: the soul. Everyone had one, it could be shaped, twisted, contorted, eaten. It had uses and thats what made it useful, worth something. All the shops along the town selling their ladels and pots and all... it made very little sense why they would trade a hunk of metal for something that actually has use. Even after all his time here on this world, Demagogue had little understanding behind the concept of currency.

Bored, he eventually turned to the pair of people, the person who'd just entered and the shop-keeper, apparently chatting away as old friends might. The man who'd just entered seemed far more seasoned than the keeper, though perhaps that was because his face kept contorting into different shapes with each passing moment. That led the demon to some sort of curiosity. What could someone with a face like that want from life? He didn't seem openly disturbed, nor distracted by the changing shapes of his face. Perhaps he was not a simple man like the majority of these people. His eyes glowed with curiosity in their sockets, as he tried to draw some sort of information from his ever-changing expressions. Nothing. Even as the shorter, gruff-er man chatted away marilly, there was little to see in the Shop-keeper's face. The Skeleton figured someone like that.... they had desires not so easily sated.

Armorend

"Ah, hello, Micael. I have... Existed, if that is significant enough to warrant mention." Aelynn's voice was smooth, but rose and lowered in volume just a bit as it spoke. "You have indeed aged, although not as much as other beings. I presume, with the same look on your visage as years ago, you are seeking something from me? I cannot guarantee I have the information you look for, but if you wish to talk, by all means. But first, allow me to handle our other guest."

He extended a sleeve, motioning to the other figure. "You. Please forgive my rudeness for not addressing you when you entered; I did not mean to keep you waiting. What is it you seek from me? Your observing of those trinkets tells me you may be interested in them? Take as many as you would like, I seek no payment; they are simply gifts from those who used my services."

Jace

The old wolf wasn't surprised when Aelynn had guessed that he wanted information from the being. That was the usual reason for Micael's visits with it after all. When it asked if the wolf minded if the shop keeper dealt with the other being in the shop Micael simply nodded his agreement. His nose wrinkled as the stench of sulfur reached his nose. Looking around he saw that the source of the scent was coming from a tall skeletal creature that Aelynn had mentioned attending to. A demon.

It had been over twenty years since Micael had a run in with a demon. They always smelled like sulfur. Sometimes it was mixed with the stench of death and other rotten things, but not always. He moved away to look around the shop while Aelynn discussed business with the newcomer. There were a lot of various trinkets in the shop, but nothing that really piqued the wolf's interest. What did interest him was what a demon was doing here. Micael was never one to get involved in other people's business, but when demons were involved things tended to get really out of hand.

Salzem

Demagogue's spike-toothed smile widened as the shopkeeper noticed his browsing and came over to talk. He explained that he required no payment for anything that the demon may have wanted. Funny how much a mortal could sound like a demon. The Shop-keeper's voice was the exact same as his shifting face: emotionless and giving nothing away. it was more amusing to stare at that blank slate than the predictable emotions on any other mortal's face. In fact, it was a minor amusement to guess which shape the guy's head might take next.

"No, no. I don't have any need for store-bought goods." The demon corrected, the lights in his eye-sockets growing a tad brighter. "I just like looking around and seeing what the merchants have in stock around this time. Oh, and my name is Demagogue." The demon stuck out a skeletal hand for the face-shifting-shopkeeper to shake. "You may have heard of me." He tipped his hat slightly with a smile. "You see, I've come to your shop because everyone wants something." Demagogue snapped his fingers, telekinetically pulling a small pendant from a wall into his hand, observing it with mild interest as he spoke. "You're a bit different aren't you? For example, You would let me keep this pendant without a coin of gold to pass off to you in exchange. Money must not be on your priority list." Without looking, the pendant floated up from the demon's hand, going back to it's place on the wall.

"Which brings me to why I'm here." Demagogue clapped his hands, smiling as if to an old friend. "I want to do you a favor, to help you out, my good man without a single thing in exchange, just as you are offering to me."

Armorend

Aelynn simply extended the sleeve towards the bony hand and pressed it into the hand, allowing them to meet. "I am called Aelynn. I do hope I can get along with a demon, of whom I have met very few, however I am afraid I have not heard of you in particular at all..." Aelynn paused, no movement occurring other than the continuous shifting of his face under the hood.

"... Perhaps one time, now that I consider it. One mortal, whom entered my shop through Essyrn, as I believe it is known... He spoke of a skeletal figure who offered to provide him a favor, yet the figure unnerved him. Whether or not you are indeed the same figure, Demagogue, I must decline as I have no need for favors. I offer my magic to those who may make use of it, as I have no use myself. Perhaps you'd prefer an audience with my companion, instead?"

Aelynn's figure shifted back towards the older man.

Jace

The old wolf concealed his surprise well enough when he saw the demon make a pendant fly off a nearby wall into his hand and back again. He was able to hear every word spoken clear as day. It was obvious to him that a bargain like that was probably too good to be true, coming from a demon. Still, it was impressive nonetheless. An amused smile came to Micael's lips as he heard Aelynn turn down the demon's offer. Of course he knew the shopkeep wouldn't accept. His smile turned quickly into a look of irritation, however, when his friend turned the demon toward him instead. 'Great. Now I have to talk to this one.' he thought to himself. He figured he'd might as well get it over with if he wanted to be rid of the one called Demagogue.

He walked over to the demon and introduced himself. "Call me Micael. What exactly do you think you can offer that would be of interest to a guy like me?" he asked with an obvious tone of irritation. A slender black tendril formed itself from the wolf's shadow on the floor and slowly, pointedly even, picked up a gold ring with a large emerald in the center and held it up before Micael's face for him to examine for a moment before placing it back in it's proper home, the tendril returning to nothing more than a harmless shadow. "I'm pretty adept at getting everything I want on my own after all." A coy smile now rested upon his face, one that said impress me'.

Salzem

Demagogue's smile never faded as the man politely declined his offer, saying that he hadn't even heard of him. Oh well. At least that negative part of his past didn't resurface here. He didn't need a few hiccups ruining his oppertunities. Whatever, he'd come back to mr. Shift-face at a later date. Perhaps when the GOOD part of his reputation builds up in the short term he'd be persuaded later.

"Oh, I understand." He said, nodding. "Perhaps another time." The other man, Demagogue could tell he didn't like him right off the bat. It was a pretty obvious look in his eye behind that smug, coy smile he tried to put on for his benefit. The older man known as Macael, made various observations that he was quite adept at getting what he wanted on his own. and asked what he could do to be of service to him. That look on the shorter man's face only seemed to taunt the demon, egging him on to demon-strate his power. The skeleton only smiled.

"Well, Micael. Have you ever wanted to move from place to place near instantaneously? Perhaps you plan to go into a massive battle and don't want to risk death?" Demagogue's smile seemed to twist into something less than friendly as a few trinkets seemed to fly off the shelves, dancing around their heads in a circle. "Maybe you seek riches, hidden unsearched chests out in the wilds. I can point them out to you... maybe you seek a specific piece of enchanted armor or weaponry from ages long past... just give me a name..." The lights in Demagogue's sockets faded and his smile curled upwards at a sinister angle as a darker shadow seemed to fall over his face. "All mortals have a darker desire... Perhaps you seek the death of a person? Perhaps you seek a.... mate? Maybe... what you truly want..." the air between them seemed to condense with tension as he whispered: "...Is something you refuse to accept yourself...?" Then in a flash, The demon's friendly, care-free smile was back on his face, the little white orbs that served as his eyes back in their sockets. In that instant, the trinkets removed reappeared in their exact spot back they laid previously.

"Whatever you need! Tell me what it is and I shall acquire it for you. No charge, no fuss." He placed a hand over his rib-cage. "If I had a heart, I'd swear by it so I guess I'll swear by... a rib? My spine?"

Armorend

Aelynn sat and watched the back-and-forth between the other two. Based on Micael's brief, angry look, it seemed that this demon was not someone that the 'wolf' wanted to deal with. Either way, he paid attention to Micael's face, observing the interaction to see how the two would act.

Jace

Most of what the demon said had no effect on Micael whatsoever. There was one thing though that hit the spot. He tried not to let it show, but he was certain the demon could probably still see it on his face. Did he want a mate? Maybe something he wouldn't admit to himself....There *were* things that he couldn't get on his own, things that he desired more than anything else. Those things should stay where they are though. He knew that. Yet there was something so...enticing...about the way Demagogue spoke. He felt himself being drawn in. He had to mentally shake himself back to his normal 'nothing you can do will shake me' facade.

"I can already travel far distances near instantaneously so teleportation has no draw for me. I can hold my own in battle and am not afraid to die. Besides, I heal quicker than most mortals anyway. Riches? I get as much of that as I could ever want in my line of work. As for enchanted armor and weapons..." a small smirk took hold of him now as he glanced down at his hands and then back up to the demon. "I've got my own weapons and defenses. I'm an assassin for hire. If I wanted someone dead they would be. Come on now Demagogue, I know you can do better than that. You're a demon after all. Tempt me."

Salzem

The Demon gasped (despite the lack of lungs) at the gruff man's remarks, his expression changing from one of friendship to one laced with shock and disgust. "Sir, I don't think that's fair." Demagogue seemed advisably hurt by the accusation, the lights in his eyes fading to black once again, but his expression was far less sinister.
"I cannot speak for my people for I know none outside of myself, but what I can say is that you have the wrong impression of me sir. Believe it or not, there are those out there in the world that want to help you with nothing to gain in return. Perhaps you have never met such a person and that's the reason you address me so horrendously." The demon's smile became far more sympathetic as if he had only recently come to the conclusion himself. In truth, he figured the man's life was not a pleasant one the moment he said "assassin". Such a noble profession, one Demagogue greatly respected, but it was one with very few... social rewards. It wasn't something one could talk to the average person about or brag over a mug of alcohol. The man was lonely, the demon could see that clear enough. Lonely and hiding behind a persona of toughness and grit to hide his weaknesses. Go figure.

"Listen, my friend..." Demagogue said soothingly, "I don't want to hurt you... I don't want to make your life any worse than it already is.... I just want to help you along, to provide my services to you as I have with so many others completely free..."

Armorend

Aelynn continued to rest behind the table that it 'sat' at for the sake of formality, the exchange of words between Micael and Demagogue being what Aelynn could consider as 'not very friendly', at least not on the part of the former. Seeing how intensely-locked the two were in conversation, Aelynn was unsure of whether input was necessary. There was no reason to interfere in negotiation; no-one else was in the shop, and if things somehow turned violent, Aelynn could deal with it.

So Aelynn sat, and continued to observe.

Blood

Balthazar heaved a happy sigh as he landed in a soft patch of grass on the outskirts of town. He always enjoyed visiting La'marri. It was full of interesting, magical people, most of whom were very kind. There was always new things to discover, and shiny things to barter for. But by far the best thing about the town is that no one gives him a second glance.

The dragon sighed again, this time not as happy. Unfortunately, he still had to transition to his smaller form to get into the shops. After a quick muttering of words and some concentration, Balthazar's form became more suitable to enter the town.

He milled about the town for a while, politely greeting a few familiar faces. He entered a few shops, but nothing really piqued his interest. He decided to take a break and get something to eat. Just as he started heading for a small tavern, he stopped. There was a small store, squished between a potion shop and a wand emporium. Has that . . . always been there? It certainly hadn't been there the last time he'd visited. The windows were strangely opaque and the store had no name, just a small sign reading "OPEN". Balthazar shrugged to himself and began heading towards it. This is what he was here for, right? Strange new things? He might as well. He adjusted the strap of his infinity satchel before pushing the door open, ducking as he entered. He heard a bell ring upon his entrance.

When Balthazar lifted his head back up, he paused in shock. This store . . . it's magnificent! Only subconsciously registering the presence of three other people, the dragon began to enthusiastically scour the store, admiring all the beautiful, shiny jewelry and unique magical objects. Oh, oh! There were even books! He quickly leafed through a few of the ones he could read, finding that they ranged widely in topics. He was beginning to feel faint. He put the book down and slowly backed up to the middle of the store, swaying slightly. He let out a low, yearning keen, attempting to slow his racing heart.

Once he had sufficiently calmed himself down, he briefly surveyed the other occupants. There was a gruff looking human who smelled of wolf, and a . . . a skeleton? who reeked of sulfur. A demon, he presumed. But he didn't care about them. Balthazar's crimson orbs finally came to rest upon the final occupant, the one behind the desk, the shopkeep.

Balthazar swallowed thickly, suddenly out of breath. "H-how . . . how much . . .?" he inquired desperately, forgetting to specify what exactly he was inquiring about. He gripped the strap of his bag tightly in anticipation.

Armorend

Aelynn shifted in his seat, staring at the peculiar creature. It was a... Dragon? Aelynn had only heard small-talk between those in the shop about dragons, yet here one was, looking to procure whatever Aelynn had to offer.

Either way, Aelynn spoke calmly as always. "... What you see is all free to take. I have no use for any of it. Every item that is available was a gift from one of those who I provided my services to, even though I ask for no compensation. Hopefully you may find at least one item worth taking."

Jace

The demon seemed hurt at Micael's words. The charm of the being's voice seeped into the very fabric of his soul. The wolf was starting to believe the demon's words, whether they were said in truth or not was beginning to no longer matter. He wanted it to be true. He wanted the demon to help him..."I-"

His train of though was broken by a scent he had never encountered before, the words stopping before they left his mouth. His eyes scanned the small shop quickly, resting on the form of what seemed to be some type of dragon looking at the different wares offered by Aelynn. When the consolidation of sentient energy had asked if he could help the new customer, his only response was to ask how much. An odd creature for certain. He looked on only a moment longer before returning his attention to the demon before him.

"Tell me, Demagogue, have you ever been in love? Ever had a family? Because I haven't. I've spent over sixty years in this world and the only person I would have considered family was murdered decades ago, the people that did so making believe he had betrayed me. Now I have no one. It's a very lonely life, that of an assassin."

Salzem

Demagogue hid a satisfied smirk beneath a sympathetic smile as the man crumbled beneath his charm. Although it was only a little, he could pick at every little crack in the man's armor as he allowed them to form. He asked the demon if he ever had a family, if he ever loved anyone. He told that in the 60 years he had existed, the only person he considered family was cut down and the culprit had tried to play it off that He was saving this man from a betrayal. The demon nodded in understanding, placing a skeletal hand on his shoulder.

"Of course I have felt these things... I used to have a little family of my own, once upon a time. Back in the early years of my life, I had become enraptured with a young village woman. Of course, being what I am and she what she is, the village wouldn't host an official marriage. Had one in secret you see and, whether you believe it or not, we were as close as any two mortals could be." The demon's smile never wavered, though it seemed more wistful as he pulled up these memories. "We couldn't have our own children. The form I prefer lacks the anatomy for it and she thought that the one I'd take for her "wasn't me." So, what else to do but adopt a few right? We did. Infants. Raised them like our own spawn." For the first time in a long time, Demagogue wasn't all smiles. He frowned, as if bringing up something unpleasant.

"As a demon, we have extremely long lives, if not complete immunity to age itself, leaving me to watch as my wife and children grew to the age they stop living. I think the most painful part is that each of their last words to me was that they loved me. A demon and a skeleton no less. I was at each of the funerals as well, you know. If you think losing your only family hurts.... try losing them over and over again, child after child." A heavy, dense mood hung over the both of them, as if they were discussing the funeral arrangements for a brother they shared. Then, after a moment of silence, Demagogue's smile returned, as bright as ever.

"But enough about me, my friend. What is it that YOU want? This murderer killed? A new family? Name it, and I will not rest until you's received it."