Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Not So Sticky Fingers[m]

Started by Draconian, September 25, 2016, 09:11:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Draconian

The 'stay' rose every defiant bone in Bifrosts body.

Stay.

He wanted to snarl back, but the throbbing empty feeling in his chest was too much and instead of staying he got up and followed slowly behind. Afraid. Afraid of the whispers in the trees. Afraid of the animals that kept looking at him with eyes that knew and expressions he could read. The trees whispered again but he moved is palms back up to his ears to block out the voices. It wasn't until he got to the clearing and saw that the metallic tang of blood reached his nose.

At first it was just a sad sight.

What had these people done to deserve this? Then he noticed the hair. The builds. Bifrost stared in horror, tears filled his eyes again and he shook his head in denial, eyes darting to Kirkley hunched over... "Brendan!" Bifrost shouted, moving to collapse to his knees beside his brother. The middle kid. All of them were older than he was but, Brendan had been the middle of the blond batch of kids and had always been Bifrosts favourite to talk to.

"Frost," He sighed, blue eyes bright with pain. Bifrost moved his hand over to Kirkley's hand, moving it to one of the smaller wounds. They just needed to keep the blood in right?

"Brendan, what happened?" Bifrost whimpered, alarmed and hurt and why was this happening?

"We were stupid," He winced, voice soft, eyes closing, "Turns out s'mone had a bounty on us." He squeezed his eyes shut, a lance of pain cutting through his gut, "Took mom'n'dad's rings." Branden reached a bloodied hand up to Bifrost to cup his cheek, "Sorry, Little Brother," he sighed, stroking his thumb down Bifrosts cheek and he gave a helpless smile, "We didn't want to leave you alone."

But the hand went lax and Bifrost held the bloodied hand to his cheek for a few minutes longer. Shock made him numb, made his breathing even and his chest tight. Bifrost let the hand drop and he shuffled away, shaking his head in disbelief. This was a bad dream. It wasn't real. Kirkley was a figment of his imagination. He fell off the cliff and died and this was all just a bad dream.

"Kirkley?" He whimpered out, staring at the other man, waiting for him to drop dead or leave or disappear. A struggle to swallow and he backed away from the clearing and his brothers bodies, the scent of their blood. It wasn't until he backed into a tree that he turned around and all he felt was white hot rage. His fist connected with the bark, and it wasn't until his hand was bloody and numb that he cradled his hand in his lap and slid down, pressing his forehead to the three.

"What am I now," he sighed, more to himself than anything. What was an adopted kid without a family? A double orphan? He wasn't a kid, sure but... Bifrost felt tiny. He felt like a little boy and he pressed his good hand to his face and tried not to cry.  It wasn't until he felt something strange brush the back of his hand that he looked down, and where his blood had dripped grew flowers.

Beautiful white flowers. Where his blood had been on the tree were tiny new branches growing, begging for sunlight. "Oh, come the fuck on, World, I've had enough shit for one day," he growled at the flower under his bleeding hand before he viciously ripped it out of the earth.

Cheesigator

He didn't really ever make the connection consciously; the panic in Bifrost's voice, the rush of emotions that rolled off of his companion told him everything and deep down, underneath thousands of years of repressed memories, he knew.

He didn't remember, but he knew. He understood.

All he could do was sit and watch, listen and understand that these men weren't just strangers, they were Bifrost's family, all that he had left. Kirkley's gut wrenched; a flood of emotions rolled over him, it was like watching it all over again, but what he was rewatching he didn't know. He didn't remember his own family, he didn't remember if he'd ever had one, but he'd done this before, except before it had been himself where Bifrost was kneeling, and unlike Bifrost... He really had been all alone when the hand went limp. That much he knew.

His heart twisted and tore, like old wounds being pried open again, and he didn't respond at first when Bifrost asked his name. He turned to look and see the man punching a tree until his fist was raw and bloodied, curling up into himself, alone.

A lance of panic shot through Kirkley like lightning and the words Not again flashed through his mind; he quickly got up, stopped, hesitated, and slowly approached the other man. His own thoughts were flustered; feelings and emotions were flashing through his mind and he couldn't understand why or where they were from, what point in his life he had felt them. It muddled his thoughts, confused him and made it so much harder to focus. He saw Bifrost sitting on the ground, he reached out to him, and ever-so-gently placed a hand on his shoulder.

"You're not alone." I'm here.

You don't have to do this by yourself. I'm here to help you.

"I won't let that happen to you."

He knelt down next to Bifrost, careful of getting too close if the man were to lash out; he regarded him carefully, and watched the branches growing from the tree, the flowers sprouting around the man, and in the back of his mind he thought that it was some kind of magic, clearly, but he wondered what kind, since it didn't seem to be intentional.

Who was Bifrost? Who was Kirkley?

It seemed like neither of them knew.

Draconian

I won't let that happen to you.

Bifrosts gut clenched and he pressed his good hand to his chest, head down before he turned to Kirkley and in a fit of need threw his arms around his neck. Practically climbing onto the other man in an effort for warmth and closeness. So many protests bubbled up into his throat. None of them were voiced and he nuzzled his face to Kirkley's neck, eyes squeezed shut.

He just needed. The warmth of the other man was a blessing and he tried not to think about the last sight of his brothers. It wasn't his fault. Right? Bifrost took a deep breath against Kirkley's neck, practically having climbed onto his lap by now in an effort for close. Needing warmth and to be close.

"You don't even know me," He finally whispered. Bifrost peeled away long enough to look at the branches on the tree. The branches his blood made grow, "I don't even know me," He finally whispered, leaning back and giving a heartbroken smile, "I guess we have something in common then, huh?" He glanced to the clearing before turning away and removing himself from Kirkley's lap.

He wanted to burn them.

Or bury them.

Anything.

But.. What if the people came back. Bifrost rubbed at his chest and shook his head, "We need to go," He breathed, wiggling his good hand at Kirkley to get him to grab it so they could just... Go, "I need to go. Anywhere. Please? Kirkley, please?" he looked up at the trees again, frowning and swallowing carefully, finding that, apparently Kirkley was going to fix his problems. Bifrost was very lost and very confused.

Cheesigator

Kirkley flinched in surprise at the sudden movement, but he certainly didn't reject the other man once arms were around his neck and a warm body was cuddled up against him, practically sitting in his lap. He put his arms around Bifrost and held him close, rubbing his back and offering him silent comfort.

Finally Bifrost mentioned that Kirkley didn't even know him, which was also true; they'd only just met yesterday, and he couldn't help but think to himself just what the heck he'd gotten himself into. He had a feeling that nights spent roaming the countryside by himself might be coming to an abrupt end. Perhaps not permanently, but definitely for a while. Long enough for his companion to get himself back up on his own two feet at least.

"Well, that definitely makes two of us." After all, Kirkley didn't know himself either.

Bifrost stood up, saying that he wanted to go, begging for it even. Kirkley glanced at the bodies of the thief's brothers, wondering if it was really okay to just... Leave them. He made a mental note that he would come back for them later--give them a proper burial, probably when Bifrost was sleeping. It would likely help bring a little extra comfort to the man knowing that they were safe.

He got up and nodded, taking his thief's hand and leading the way out once he was ready. He didn't really say much as they walked through the woods, he wasn't really sure what he could say. 'I know how you feel' wouldn't exactly make Bifrost feel better; there just wasn't anything about this situation that could help right now. So instead he just tried to focus on what he could do--their next step, where would they go now? What would they do?

Kirkley usually just roamed free, traveling at a lax place from day to day and only visiting cities and other people on more special occasions; these days he found himself preferring the quietness of the open road and countryside as opposed to the hustle and bustle of towns and villages. But he felt like a town might be exactly what Bifrost needed, something with a lot of distractions to keep his mind off of the horrors he had just faced.

Once they were far enough away and the smell of blood was replaced with that of the forest, Kirkley stopped, turning and looking at Bifrost.

"I think there's a town not too far from here, that sound like a plan?"

Draconian

It was a sort of bittersweet.

If Bifrost didnt think of it, he was as lucky as he was unlucky. Everything happened for a reason right? Would his brothers have survived if he'd been with them, he wondered, or would he have been butchered like a dog, too?

Bifrost shuddered to think of it as they walked away.

He wanted to bury them. It made his chest ache in unfamiliar ways to leave them behind. They'd burried their parents. He'd never get to bury his brothers. It would be suspicious.

That also begged the question. Was he wanted, too?

Bifrost looked at Kirkley violet eyes going wide after a moment before he licked his lips and moved closer so their arms were bumping into one another. Right. He was here. A plan. Yeah.

He frowned after a moment before he got quiet, "Can I stay with you for a while?" His voice was small, half expecting Kirkley to laugh and shake his head no. Some excuse. Bifrost had to  find a reason right? "I don't want to be alone."

Cheesigator

As Kirkley walked with him, Bifrost kept close, their arms in constant contact with each other, brushing against each others' sides as they tread through the forest, heavy-hearted and silent.

Bifrost wasn't the only one thinking, Kirkley now had a lot on his mind as well.

Bifrost's brother had mentioned a bounty on their heads, and they had to assume that that meant all of their heads--Bifrost included. Which meant he would have to lay low for a while, in hopes that the bounty may be removed or forgotten about. Which also meant... No towns. Shit. He hadn't thought of that.

It looked like he would need a change of plans, if he didn't want Bifrost to get killed, after all.

In the midst of his thoughts however, his companion spoke up, and he opened his mouth to say 'Of course!' but hesitated for the split second it took for him to realize something: You'll get attached.

That's right. He would get attached. Granted, they didn't know what kind of creature the thief really was, or what that creature's lifespan could be, but for now... He had to play it safe. He had to assume that the elf-eared man was mortal.

"Of course." He continued to say after a moment, biting his lip a bit afterwards. He wanted to add on with 'Just for a while' but he couldn't, he couldn't deny the man like that. Not now, not after he'd lost everything he'd ever known. He'd already promised the man that he'd protect him, and although he never did specify for how long he would do so, it was implied that it would be quite a while, at least in Kirkley's mind anyways. And he intended to hold up to that... Regardless of the pain it caused himself in the meantime.

He sucked in a breath, looking over at Bifrost and stopping him by reaching out a hand and lightly taking hold of his arm. He stepped back to lean against a tree, pulling his companion into a soft hug.

"You know, I guess if there's a bounty on your head that means no more towns for you. If you had a house... It's probably been taken by the city government or sold off by now." Hate to break the bad news, but, he had to.

"We need a plan."

He looked down at the man, all kinds of concern and worry in his eyes as this stranger who'd been so full of vim and vigor, and smartass comments, had almost completely changed into a different person. He was lost, scared, somber. And it only made Kirkley's urges to need to protect him that much worse.

Draconian

Bifrost was in a stupor.

His chest felt tight. His breath was short and his eyes kept burning. There had been loss before but this was different. It was much sharper a blade. Bifrost wasnt paying attention to much, doing his best to recall happy memories of him and his brothers.

As children. As young men before the war. Before their parents passed away. Bifrost found holding a hand to his chest made it seem like his heart wasnt throbbing near as much. Taking full breaths hurt. His jaw hurt - it was then he realized he'd been clenching his teeth.

A startled violet gaze turned to Kirkley and he blinked a few times, looking confused. Wanted. He'd be wanted too. And with only three blonde ones dead they'd be on the lookout for the tall one with long green hair.

Bifrost didnt struggle when Kirkley stopped. Didn't pull away when he was pulled into the hug. He relaxed into it, pulling his bandanna away and dropping it to their feet so he could snuggle in and press his ear to Kirkley's chest to listen to his heartbeat.

There was a content sigh, Bifrost closed his eyes.

"A plan," he repeated, he chewed on his lip and leaned away slightly before he sighed and pressed his head to Kirkley's chest away. It was odd, to be so short compared to someone. Odd and at this very moment extremelg.comforting.

"I dunno, you can be my camping buddy. I'm kinda elfy, right? Is living off the land a species thing?" It would be best to grieve later. He'd had his moment, now it was time to tuck it away until it was safe to bring out. "I'll pay you in awful blowjobs because God knows I haven't gotten any practice with those" he didn pull away from Kirkley, but he did raise his head to try and guage a reaction.

It was then he rememberd that his knickles hurt like a bitch and he slowly curled his hand in between them.

Cheesigator

He let out a soft snort at the man's attempt at some kind of humor; it was as familiar as it was surprising, how he was handling this situation so far. Everyone grieved differently, it seemed.

Kirkley looked down to see the man looking up at him, lost and confused with wide violet eyes. It reminded him too much of himself; he must have looked exactly like that once, so long, long ago. He didn't want to let the world shape Bifrost the way it had him. He didn't want that to ever happen again, to anybody.

He ran a hand through the thief's hair, or perhaps former thief was a better way of putting it? He reached down, taking Bifrost's wounded hand with a gentle grip as he dug around in his bag for some spare strips of cloth to tie around it with his free hand.

"Repayment isn't something you need to worry about." He said with a soft smile, eyes focused on the task at hand as he bandaged up the man's hand as painlessly as he possibly could, smoothing his thumb over the back of Bifrost's wrist as he drew his gaze up to look into purple eyes, nothing but blunt sincerity showing in his own.

"I wouldn't mind just having the company."

He reached up and cupped the elf-eared man's face, smoothing his thumbs over his cheeks before sliding his hands into forest-green hair and hugging him, resting his head atop the other's.

"We should get you as far away from here as possible, and hope that word doesn't spread faster than we can travel."

Draconian

There was a long silence while Kirkley bandaged up Bifrosts hand. It stung. Each tug and movement made his hand hurt but he found himself latching onto the pain like some sort of hand hold. Like if he didn't have the pain to think of he'd be a sobbing heartbroken mess - or at least an obvious one. Bifrosts eyes still hurt and when there was a good tug he gave a soft hissing noise before he sucked in his breath and held it while he tried to collect himself.

People died. It was a natural painful fact of life.

Their death's would weigh on him for a while though, he knew. The empty feeling in his chest would be there for a while, just like it was when their parents died. Bifrost swallowed thickly and ducked his head down, pressing his good hand to his eyes while he caught his breath, looking at Kirkley and catching his eyes. The hollow feeling went away and Bifrost had to resist leaning in his smashing his lips against his again.

It would be inappropriate, for the time being.

Besides, they were too close, still. Easily captured, probably.

"I'd like to be company," Bifrost whispered, closing his eyes when Kirkley's hand touched his cheek, arms easily curling around Kirkley's middle when the hug was intiated. He found he didn't really want to let go. Didn't really want to part with the giant furnace of a man. Was it because of the trauma of losing his brothers? Bifrost would be lying if he said that parting ways with Kirkley sent a strange pang of disappointment through his chest.

Bifrost leaned back slightly and gave into impulse, tugging Kirkley's head down and pressing a chaste innocent kiss on his lips before curling back into the hug. "Yeah, good thing Kitty-Dog You runs fast, huh? We can take turns, riding one another, I ride you during the day, you ride me during the night," He added with a smirk, giving a dry chuckle at his own dirty joke. He pulled away after a few moments, slipped his good hand into Kirkley's and began to walk, tugging at his new companions hand and doing his very best not to look back.