Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Need and Desire [val]

Started by glorilyss, October 09, 2016, 10:15:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

glorilyss

There was no place on earth quite like a port city. Of course, even the smallest wharf-side village could be busy, but when she was currently in one of the most bustling trade towns in most of the known world, it was hard to even allow the comparison. The scent of over-ripe perfume and the sizzling spice of roadside food stalls were underlaid with the hint of decay from fish baking in the sun and the fainter, sweet note of weeks-old vomit.

The slender figure whipped her way along the wharf, teal eyes darting viciously back and forth. The flowing lines of back and waist and hip suggested a sense of easiness in her surroundings, though the hands at her sides were clenched into fists, and there was a certain tenseness to the set of her shoulders. The ripple of hair over the wide expanse of unclothed back was the clear mark of a nervous habit; it whipped back again and again, each time an indicator of an angrily-tossed head.

Suddenly, eyes caught by something, the elfin female whipped to the side, eyes locking greedily onto the stall that had drawn her attention. One or two other people were clustered near the shopkeeper's table, but she sliced through the crowd like a naked blade, Mediterranean gaze locking onto the wicked glitter like a path of starlight laid along a river. The athame lay on a velvet cushion, the handle stark bone with twisting silver vines winding around the pommel. A fat ruby like the darkest drop of blood glittered in the crossguard, calling to the elfin girl's heart as surely as if it had spoken a a word out loud.

A naked greed shimmered in the depths of her eyes; one hand hovered longingly over the handle of the blade. Estelle was a lover of beautiful things; not only did she want them, she needed them. There had always been a possessive streak inside of her, and now it seemed to carve a look of hunger into her face. She would have this blade, no matter what; she'd have it if she had to use her magic even in the middle of such a crowded road.

ValamLym

A slender figure with long waving black hair stepped through the crowd, a bag full of spirit rubies on her shoulder as she eyed around the crowd, looking for her next target. She had felt like a dragon sleeping on a mountain of gold, except that the gold here wasn't exactly hers.. yet she thought, snickering to herself.

Keyleth hadn't been in town long or she had already found her fair share of trouble, having fought off several perverted men by simply being there. Then again, her apparel sort of asked for it, as it was supposed to, but these men had nothing to give her. She, being a dark elf; had already earned the ire of the local guards as well, simply by being there, everybody knows dark elves are rarely up to much good but nobody really dared to intervene because dark elves also often wielded powerful magic, immortal magic.

However, Keyleth wasn't particularly troublesome to deal with, at-least today, as the smell of the fresh fruits and all sorts of perfume brightened her mood. Not because she was among people, but because that often meant that she was likely to run into some kind of person that had powers she could steal. She nimbly passed through the flood of people, she honestly expected things to be lively, but this was worse then she had imagined.

As she graced herself passed all the salesmen and local townsfolk she came across a peculiar little stall, a beautiful blade being its most prominent object of value. Although she often felt curious about artifacts and the like, her eyes instead were now drawn to them woman who seemed to obsess over it, a certain greed carved into her face from what the dark elf could see.

She used the crowd to her advantage to get behind the woman, figuring she would follow her. More often then not people that wanted those kind of items had a reason for it and that reason is most likely magical in nature... And -that- was what Keyleth wanted. Bits and baubles were cute, but the real price was the magic they often held. She couldn't help but feel a certain connection with the woman though, perhaps it was her magic talking, or perhaps her gut. But something told her they weren't too different.

Rather then following her as she had initially planned, she figured she'd strike up conversation with the woman, best case scenario she learned something, worst case she'd still have to follow her and learn something then, eitherway; She would get what she wanted. So she wove herself through the people, pushing aside several people rather harshly, without a care in the world.

When she neared close enough she tapped the woman on her shoulder, an indifferent look on her face as per usual ''I see you like artifacts that rival your own beauty?'' she snickered ''but what would you do with it, you don't strike me as a warrior.''

glorilyss

Estelle was not the sort of girl who denied herself much of anything, nor one that had really ever needed to bargain with shopkeepers - though she wouldn't have, with something so precious. After all, a witch who haggled over her tools told them that they weren't worth their full price. And such a tool! The curved edge of the blade caught the sunlight as she shifted, throwing a silver glimmer into her eyes and washing her face with the cool reflected gleam of steel.

In fact, so absorbed with her future acquisition was she that she hadn't noticed a similar movement of body through crowd behind her. She reached out for the handle, lifting it with delight, feeling the twisted vines that curved over the pommel impress their shape into her palm. The balance of it was beautiful, really, and-

The feeling of fingers on her shoulder so surprised Estelle that she jumped slightly, whipping around, her grip on the blade changing to a defensive stance. As if agreeing with her, the ruby seemed to flare brighter, almost as though eager for blood. Over her shoulder and unseen to her, the stall's owner looked alarmed, though it wasn't clear whether it was at the loss of his knife or the possibility that it was about be used on a stranger. Estelle's eyes flicked up and down over the newcomer, taking in her outfit, the dark markings on her face, the steady fall of long black hair. They almost could have been sisters, though Estelle was the taller of the two, and had a far less feral look.

"I enjoy all things of beauty," she replied, one eyebrow arching and barely even noticing the compliment. Vanity was one sin that Estelle was familiar with; of course others thought she was fair to look at. She relaxed her grip on the knife, then half-turned toward the shopkeeper once more. Her free hand proffered several large coins, which was replaced with a velvet pouch that soon concealed the athame. "And everyone is a warrior in the battle against death. Some of us just use different methods." While Estelle wasn't typically the riddle type, she also wasn't exactly open with strangers. "Do you approach every elf you see on the streets, or was it just my flawless hair and beautiful posture?" She flashed a smirk at the other elf, eyebrow arching once more.

ValamLym

Keyleth quirked a brow as the woman drew the blade she hadn't even finalized purchase on, being slow to realize that it was infact because of her own sudden tap on the woman's shoulder. Her face soon fell into a sly smirk as she motioned toward the blade ''You could poke someone's eye out with that you know?"

She cast a quick glance and a shrug at the owner, before turning her gaze back to the woman in front of her. She couldn't help but snicker at the situation, before she heard the woman speak again. ''If you love beauty you must absolutely adore me.'' she pointedly stated, her own ego perhaps equally as inflated as that of Estelle. ''That sounds like something mother would say. You aren't my mother in disguise are you?'' she jokingly added, placing her metal plated gloves on her hips.

She chuckled once more when the woman once again affirmed that she and Keyleth herself were somewhat alike with her final comment, causing the slightest of smiles on Keyleth's face even if it was for but a moment. ''I got a nose for people, judging by your behavior, my nose hasn't failed.'' she shrugged, leaving Estelle in the dark on what it was that her nose had supposedly caught within her. ''Having said that, your posture does help yes.''

She gave both Estelle and the store owner a wink, before letting out a sigh. ''But on a more serious note, you look like the type that enjoys a good artifact or two..'' she leaned closer ''of the forbidden kind, right?'' before stepping back again, that same smile creeping up for only a few seconds before her entire being turned neutral again.

glorilyss

Estelle rolled her eyes at the other elf's comments, the faint touch of her earlier smirk still playing around the edges of her mouth. Of course she could poke someone's eye out - that was the point of knives, wasn't it? Well, not this one, she thought almost lovingly, casting an involuntary glance down to the velvet pouch that sheathed her newest acquisition. Yet. She couldn't help but be excited at the thought of using it in ritual; it just seemed so perfect for her, as though she had been fated to meet it. Which - who knew? - may have even been true.

Estelle arched both eyebrows and gave a slight shrug, as if dismissing the topic of beauty. She didn't like to compare herself, or compliment others even, very much. "If I was your mother, I would have taught you not to talk to strangers. This is a port city - you never know who's out to get you." The way she said it hinted at trouble, though it wasn't clear if she was implying herself as the source of such mischief or not. "Ah, well, everyone's got to have some sort of talent," she added, her tone mockingly pitying. Frankly, others' talents only concerned her if she was fighting them or fucking them, and she found little of either likely to happen right now.

However, at the word 'forbidden,' Estelle's face seemed to be carefully wiped blank. She flicked a glance at those around them. "Not all things that are forbidden in one place are forbidden in others. However, if you insist on speaking of things outlawed in Serendipity, I must insist we make this conversation more private." Without waiting for an answer, she stepped past the other elf, eyes lingering on the dark markings across her forehead and around her eyes. She half-turned, heading down the street toward a small tavern that sat a short way ahead of them, long legs carrying her swiftly. Without looking to see if she was being followed, she slipped into the murky gloom inside, claiming a table relatively near the door in case she felt the need to leave in a hurry.

ValamLym

Keyleth simply burst into laughter at the other elf's remark, true people had underestimated her before but this felt particularly funny to her. Everywhere she went she was the trouble. Other's were rarely trouble thanks to her powers, this time would be no different. ''Trust me, nobody here has a chance to get me.'' she quirked a brow at the woman's second comment ''I suppose that's what your parents told you?'' she snickered, but corrected herself when she felt that she might be beginning to make this conversation less preferable.

''Oh.. now you're scared?'' she shrugged ''Not everyone on this dock is a spy you know?'' as she noted the girl walk away she simply shrugged, she then turned into her corporeal form and flowed through the masses, following her into the tavern and manifesting again on the chair next to the elf.

''But yes, artifacts..'' she waved a barmaid over ''Bring me a nice cup of ale if you would, lass.'' she muttered, before turning back to the elf she was situated with at the table. ''You look for them too don't you?''

glorilyss

As the both of them found a place at the table, Estelle's eyes slid toward the other girl - or rather, the dark cloud that manifested itself into the now-familiar shape that she had seen on the docks. Though she wasn't surprised, having seen many different types of magic in her experience and long-lived lifespan, she was pleasantly impressed. "That's a pretty trick you've got there," she commented, eyesbrows once more arched in their typical expression, and face outwardly apparently polite.

"And I'm not scared. But I was born here, and this is where I live most of my life. I'd rather not be kicked out for your loose tongue on a dock where anyone might hear you." She shrugged her shoulders, turning her head over one delicately-sloped arm to ask for a glass of wine. As it - and the glass of ale - arrived, the picked up the glass by the stem, lifting the blood red liquid to the faint light coming through a nearby window. "You can never truly know who is a spy and who isn't. That is, after all, the nature of the job." She leveled a deep look at the other female, eyes hard and staring, then shrugged once more, apparently indifferent.

"I don't look for artifacts, no." Her words were contradictory to the earlier avarice on her face, but true nonetheless. She may have had a deep desire for things of beauty and power, but she did not seek them out on their own. "I let them come to me. Since we speak of parents, my own always said that an accidental but genuine ally is better than a forced but cautious friend." She took a delicate sip, the deep color of the wine staining her lips even darker. Leaning across the table, one hand cradling her chin, she looked at the dark elf opposite her. "Did you come to sell to me, or did you merely come for the pleasure of conversation? Because while I may be a delight, I find that I buy only strong tools who want me as much as I want them." There was a hidden layer in her words, something darker than how she spoke so lightly.

ValamLym

Keyleth couldn't help but snicker at the woman's remark about her loose tongue. She contrary to the woman didn't think anyone had the guts to spill the beans on her. After all, she was wanted in so many places but most guards just turned a blind eye. Its pointless to chase a ghost, they would say. Here would be no different. And it wasn't like she deliberately caused trouble, she just happened to anger a few folks sometimes.

When the woman spoke of spies she simply rolled her eyes. There was being cautious and then there was straight up paranoid, this woman seemed to lean toward the latter so far. ''My Kabal has no interest in your kind, I work for myself.'' she stated pointedly, taking another sip from her ale.

When the woman declined looking for artifacts she seemed somewhat disappointing, she figured this woman had been like her and sought more power. But that usually meant seeking out artifacts as well. She snickered once again when parents were mentioned ''Your parent's must not have known any dark elves.'' she tugged at the leather between her chest plate, correct her bust. ''I do not sell, I obtain. And you seemed like the type of person I could forge a mutually beneficial relationship with, but I am starting to think I was mistaken.''

She played with the bottle of ale, thinking of what to say next. She really hadn't considered this scenario, then again she never really thought things out all that well. She preferred to just wing it. If this woman didn't have what she needed she may as well strike up some form of conversation to pass time. ''I see, well.. I am nobodies tool, lets put that up front. I'm the one who can make the tools.'' she smirked ''Or make people into those tools.. literally.''

glorilyss

The sound of the strange word, Kabal, upon her impromptu companion's tongue sparked her interest. She knew roughly what the meaning of the word was; much like a coven, it meant a united group. However, Kabals were often shrouded in secrecy, and if there was one thing Estelle did seek avidly, it was new learning. The old saying 'knowledge is power' was true on so many levels, and there were few things in the world she craved more than power. Perhaps the elf would mention something about it later.

"I'm not sure if they did, actually. But my parents had little magic besides what they put into their crafts, so I find it hard to believe that a dark elf would have any reason to seek them out." She shrugged; her parents were hardly a topic she wanted to discuss. There was still bad blood between her mother and herself, a feud that she confidently expected to last until one of them died.

"I don't think you were entirely mistaken. Certainly, if you come across anything with more magic in it than half of these trifles most vendors sell, I would be glad to see it." She leveled her eyes over the top of her wineglass at the other female, bright eyes carefully neutral, and a matching expression on her face. "Though it would put my mind to rest if I knew whom I might be dealing with in the future." She cracked another smile to take the ice out of her words.

"Really? I can feel the magic around you, but it's difficult to place its nature." Her eyes narrowed slightly as if she was concentrating. The fingers of one hand curved around the bell of the glass, but the other hand tapped lightly at her lower lip. "Do you use possession?"

ValamLym

Keyleth quietly contemplated the spoken words, she could recognize the woman's parent's seemed a topic she didn't like, mainly through the switch and the shrug. Maybe though, she was just looking to much into the woman's mannerism. Regardless of what was the actual reason she no longer needed to inquire about her parents anyway. ''I see, well.. I might explain it to you sometime.'' she pointedly responded, keeping her mischievous smirk.

She chuckled at the woman's next words, not entirely sure why she thought she would share an artifact, after all, she wanted the magic buried within, that wasn't something she could possibly share. ''I don't think that will happen. As cute as you are, I hunt magic myself and I sincerely doubt sharing is a possibility. But if I find something I may not need you'll be the first to know.'' she momentarily paused, taking a sip from her ale ''Having said that, my name is Keyleth.'' she didn't seemed particularly concerned by giving away her name. It was just that to her, a name. A few letters that served as her call-sign, nothing major.

Keyleth let out a short laugh when the woman spoke of possession, she figured it hadn't been difficult to put two and two together when she came in here as some dark smoke. Regardless she couldn't help but think the woman must be more perceptive then she looked ''I suppose you could say that.'' she smirked ''It helps me always get what I want.'' she added pointedly. 

''I can't say I am as perceptive as you about your magic.'' she shrugged, clearly unconcerned by this ''But trust me, I can do a lot more then just possess the unfortunate folks that do not abide by my demands.'' she chuckled ''Not to fear though, I feel no reason to do it to you.'' she snickered ''Not that you seem like the type that scares easily.''

glorilyss

For the most part, as the other girl spoke, Estelle elected to remain quiet. Her eyes flicked along the planes of the face before her, simultaneously beautiful and terrible in the sense of wildness that seemed to glitter in her eyes, and knew without a shadow of a doubt that she could never trust her.

That didn't mean that she might not be useful, though.

"I never wanted to share. I don't do 'sharing.'" Her words were calm, but matter-of-fact. "However, like you said, you won't be able to use everything that you come across. When you find something that you have no purpose for, I'll take a look at it." She lifted her hand, seemingly interested in studying the smooth tips of her nails, then leveling a glance at the girl once more. Keyleth was a bit of an odd name, but then, this was an odd place. And besides, port towns picked up people from all places. For all she knew, the name was quite popular where the elf had been born.

"Estelle D'arcy." She returned her attention back to the nails of her left hand, splaying the fingers wide, then giving up with her pretense of disinterest and preoccupying herself with opening the velvet bag that held her newest acquisition. Flicking occasional glances toward the other to show that she was still listening, she withdrew the glittering blade, laying it flat on the tabletop to stare at as she contemplated the motives of her companion.

"You're lucky. I haven't seen anyone using that sort of magic in a while." She paused, then shrugged. "Just don't get caught. Serenians - and the colleges especially - have no love for anyone who doesn't practice their lily-white magic." She traced the line of the blade lovingly with one finger, then looked up to hold Keyleth's eyes. "And you're right. I don't. But then, you wouldn't have bothered approaching me if you thought I did scare easily, would you?" She sat back in her chair, one hand reaching out once more for the wineglass, eyes curious as she tried to work out the mind of her current tablemate.

ValamLym

Keyleth nodded as politely as she could when the woman finally gave her a name. Estelle huh? she thought to herself, moderately amused by that name. Not because it was a stupid name but more because the woman before her barely struck her as an ''Estelle'' she couldn't quite say why.

''Naturally, if I find something I do not need it will go to the highest bidder, but I'll happily let you have the first peek.'' she gave Estelle a coy wink, before turning her attention to her ale bottle for the moment, taking another sip from the now slowly diminishing cup.

''Not getting caught is the entire point of that ability.'' she stated pointedly. ''Its also Immortal magic, so I wont have to worry about Serenians begging for Mordechai.'' she smiled '"But it is truly adorable you're already worried about me.'' she added sarcastically, giving her yet another wink. She couldn't help but chuckle at the woman's next words ''I suppose I wouldn't have, yet you never know.''

She took a few moments to ponder the next possibly situation, she figured it would depend on the intractability of her current companion. ''So miss Estelle, what is it that you seek in this forsaken world?'' she figured such a question could at-least keep their conversation from grinding to a halt.

Tags: