Boredom Flowing like Time [M - Lion]

Started by Zero, October 23, 2016, 08:33:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zero

[M is because with Roman adult themes are almost a given.]

Tick. Tock.

Tick. Tock.

What a lulling repetition of sounds.

Roman had been unsure at first about the stately grandfather clock that sat nestled against the wall behind him, opposite the fireplace, his comfortable stuffed sofa sitting before it so he could stare into the burning fire as it roared in the hearth. A glass of wine rested in one hand, his wrist making idle motions that caused the dark red liquid to swirl about the crystal in a lazy current. Off to the side a well-stocked liquor cart loomed, the dark walnut panels reflecting the dancing firelight pleasantly.

It was a meticulously staged reception and seating area.

As for him, Roman loved this room. Here was where he greeted clients when they called on him, and where he most enjoyed relaxing when not occupied in his bedroom or out of the house for business. The evening hours were actually surprisingly quiet. These were the hours when families were truly coming together, sharing the dull happenings of the day around dinner tables, or tucking little ones into their beds with stories and wishes of sweet dreams. With such a generally predictable lull in business it made planning wind down hours relatively simple and easy. Even he needed time to wind down from his work day – after all he had a rather hectic schedule that was prone to surprises.

Lacking any appointments for several hours yet, Roman had nothing at all to do other than sit with his thoughts and enjoy the dry red wine in his glass. A very fine vintage, it was particularly delicious since the bottle had been a gift from an appreciative regular.

Sadly his thoughts weren't nearly as fine. Boredom and restlessness gnawed at him with relentless vigor.

Lion

It was not like Adrienn to be careless. Not when this far away from her home. But she did not cling to that ideal in the need for safety. That word...it left a terrible taste in her mouth, much like the blood that spilled out onto her tongue.  It tasted sweet and of iron, of agony and death.

Safety. It was a mentality borne from a fevered dream, an ephemeral wish that the desperate clung to out of fear of what might be. It never allowed one to prepare for life as it was: real, aching, harsh, merciless. Safety was what Adrienn had not been afforded when the knife sunk deep into her back, piercing her lung between the plates in her armor.

Gasping for breath left her choking on her blood, and something hard slammed hard into her face, knocking the helmet haphazardly off her head.  With a loud clang it struck the cobblestones, and she fell with the force of the blow.  She blinked up at the dark shape above her, gritting through bloody teeth and trying to reach for her blade. A boot slammed into her side, and she coughed.

Darkness aided her assailant and the same cudgel that slammed into her head the first time, struck her again across the face, knocking her out and she saw his eyes, crystalline red, possessed with madness until the blackness took her. 

For fuck's sake, she couldn't go anywhere without attracting a bad crowd, now could she? Sure she'd dealt with assassins before, but none that ever managed to get this close.  Some people didn't like those that asked questions, would prefer instead that people looked the other way. Those that utilized fear as their first weapon in their arsenal, and didn't favor those that didn't bow their heads to them.  Questions would come later, but for now there was only the need for survival.

She slowed her breathing, only vaguely remembering being picked up, or was she dragged? There was no conscious recollection where she was.  When the blackness faded in and out, she saw street torches, someone running away, and her slowly trying to crawl away.  Fingers dug between the edges of cobblestones, pulling herself along.  She had to stand, she told herself.  So she tried...and immediately her legs failed her, and her armored body collapsed hard against the door she somehow found herself in front of.

Like to kill mages?  Join the Order!
The Order of St. Agratha

Help Rebuild Connlaoth from the ashes of war!
The Red Legion

Jump in the water's fine!
Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"Life is a series of dogs." -George Carlin
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

Zero

Everything was so quiet Roman almost could have drifted to sleep. With no kind of mental or physical stimulation going on around him the incubus felt drowsy and simply bored. Maybe a refreshing nap before his first late client would have been a good thing. Conserving energy usually was good, right? Of course it was.

The sound of something heavy striking his front door snapped him out of his almost dreamlike state, causing Roman to jump slightly. His brow furrowed as he wondered what made such a sound. Sighing, he set aside his wine and rose sluggishly. It wasn't as if he expected there to be anything of interest to be discovered on his doorstep. Perhaps a child had thrown something? Seemed an odd hour for children to be running about playing, but who could really say?

Roman didn't really know all that much about what children might or might not be doing.

Opening the door to have a body practically fall against him was quite the surprise. A battered and armored body that was still breathing and bleeding. Well he had been worried tonight would be boring – that seemed to no longer be a necessary concern.

"Mary!" He called, and instantly there came the soft thudding of little feet against the hall floor from the back kitchen. A bowed old woman appeared, gasping at the sight as Roman knelt down next to Adrienn, brushing his fingers through the mess of her short flaming hair in an almost soothing way. "Quickly now, Mary. Fetch a doctor, and don't dawdle!" The woman turned and practically fled back down the hall – no doubt to go out the back door, since she'd have had to step over and around them to go out the front.

Roman wasn't much of a healer, and certainly not a doctor, so he wasn't sure if it would be better or worse to move the limp woman from where she had fallen. His hands warmed as he gently brushed them over her face, letting what little healing magic was in him touch her. Maybe it would help with pain once she woke? Or ease swelling and bruising. Someone had struck her quite hard.

Thankfully Mary was spry enough for a little old lady. Roman hastily moved out of the way when the doctor arrived, remaining close and watching curiously. It wasn't every day that a woman almost died on his doorstep. Well, he assumed she almost died. There was a lot of blood and she didn't seem conscious.

It took a long time before the doctor leaned back, looking rather strained. Roman didn't know what all had been done, but Adrienn's armor was stripped, the knife was removed, her wound stitched and dressed, and he could only assume the worst was past. Not that he would know much about that. The doctor suggested they send his maid to fetch a cart to wheel to his home, but also suggested the less she was moved the better.

How bothersome of a hint. Well, it wouldn't do to have her dying on his doorstep, and being generous to her could certainly help his reputation. Who didn't enjoy a good hero story? Between the two of them they were able to carry her up to a free room without jostling her too much. Roman even made sure that it was a room with a bed that currently had fresh, clean linens.

As soon as his patient was resting comfortably the doctor left, assuring Roman that he would send him the bill. He saw him out, feeling more than a little annoyance that this was costing him money. Well, it couldn't be helped he supposed.

Mary appeared shortly afterwards, making a bit of a fuss. He'd gotten blood on his hands and shirt cuffs. Placating her, Roman washed his hands in the kitchen and discarded the stained shirt; it had been a crisp white and was undoubtedly beyond saving. She'd produced a clean shirt almost before he'd even finished removing the soiled one.

"Well this has been a strange evening thus far." Roman mused as he buttoned and tucked in his shirt. "Go home, Mary. You can finish up any chores you didn't get to tomorrow. Plus there will be the blood in the front hall to deal with."

After dismissing her he ventured back to the second floor, entering Adrienn's room to have a seat in the plush chair in the corner. Watching her like this wasn't creepy at all – after all, what if she became distressed or her rest was somehow disturbed? The little bird had obviously weathered quite the storm before crashing against his door!

At least it was interesting.

Lion

There wasn't any conscious recollection of what happened between being sprawled against a door, bleeding out the very essence of life, to lying in a bed, stripped of her armor and covered only by a thin linen sheet. The pain in her skull was easing slowly, just enough to rouse her, and cause her to breath in slowly. The pressure was gradually alleviated, and slowly she opened her eyes.

Wherever she was, she was thankful for the dim lighting. Just a few candles and oil lamps, but nothing too bright. Still, her expression was grim, brow furrowed as she wiggled beneath the blanket, or as much wiggling as she was capable of in the present moment. She coughed, her back hurting and she felt the pressure of the bandage round middle and it seemed everything else was removed.

"Aw...fffff-fuck," she breathed out and turned her head just enough to see a blurry shape from the corner of her vision.  A shape that came more and more into view as she blinked the blurriness away.  There he was, just...staring at her.  And there she was...just naked.

Right.  None of this was normal.

Adrienn returned the stare at him, eyes wide, then turning slowly to peer down at herself. What were those pointy things?  Oh, right, they were breasts. And...right, she was naked. Shit!  She pulled the sheet further up on her chest, shooting a glare to the intrusive man and his leery gaze.

"Where are my clothes?" she said lowly, maybe a little more irritated than she meant to be.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

Zero

Very little about the situation was normal for anyone involved. About the only normal thing was having a naked, strange woman in one of his beds.

Roman didn't have to wait very long for the woman to show signs of more active life. He had crossed on leg over the other, and elbow resting on the arm of the plush chair and his chin in his hand as he observed fairly passively as she came two and slowly grew aware of her unfamiliar surroundings. A slow grin spread across his face as she hastily pulled the sheet up and demanded to know where her clothing was.

"I imagine they're still laying in shreds on my hall floor, covered in blood and unfit for wear." He made a small gesture towards her with his free hand. "No need for modesty, little bird. I helped carry you up here and you were in not a stitch. It seemed unimportant next to your life. You should probably try not to overdo it. You're safe for now."

Lion

Covered in blood. Laying in shreds...  And unfit for wear.

If this didn't raise her ire, she didn't know what did. Not because of him, but at herself that she could let herself be so foolish.  She cursed again, but this time just shook her head harshly. 

She sighed and buried her face into her hands, rubbing out the exhaustion.  "Thank you," she found herself saying, but the tone was crisp and irritated.  Again at herself.  He was just collateral damage.  "I apologize for the inconvenience this must be.  I'll find a way to begone as soon as I am able. I am no invalid, I can care for myself."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Zero

Roman scoffed softly in an amused manner. "I never accused you of being an invalid, and I am sure you will be on your merry way in no time at all."

There was no point in arguing against her being an inconvenience, because she certainly was. Although at least her sudden appearance had been some form of entertainment. Either way he shifted in his seat, leaning forward as he watched her.

"Now then, is there anything I can do to make you more comfortable? I mean, aside from leaving you in peace, of course. Perhaps a glass of water? I believe I could even manage something to eat if you're hungry." Food and rest to get her strength back up would be good. Then she could make good on her assurances of being gone quickly.

Lion

Her stomach growled at the sheer mention of food. And a blushing burn came to her cheeks at her body's response. Yes she was hungry, hungry and out of it for losing so much blood. Again shame washed over her.  He didn't seem to be in any hurry to get rid of her, which she both hated him and was gracious for.

"Merry isn't what I would call it," she mumbled, mostly to herself.

Adrienn pushed herself up against the headboard and sighed. "I...I would be very thankful if you had something warm and meaty. Ahem, food, I mean.  Aaaand perhaps some wine, for the pain I'm in." 

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Zero

"Warm and meaty?" One elegant dark brow arched as a devilish grin curved his lips, he let out a soft chuckle. "I think I can manage to find something...satisfactory."

Oh he knew she hadn't meant it like that, but how could he possibly resist his choice of words? Roman rose from his seat and stretched slowly. He wasn't even sure how long he'd been sitting and watching his unconscious guest. Not terribly long, but more than long enough. "Just relax while I fetch you some supper."

With that he gracefully swept from the room, closing the door behind him. There was no one else in the house to invade her privacy...currently. There was still leftovers from dinner, a succulent beef roast, with buttered red potatoes and rolls. He made sure they were hot and situated everything on a tray neatly. The last thing he got was the wine. With a fresh glass he brought the rest of his previously opened bottle. It was a very good wine, might as well see that it was properly drunk and appreciated.

He carried everything back upstairs, not bothering to knock before pushing the door open. It had taken several minutes to put together the tray, but he doubted she could have gotten up to much in that time frame.

Lion

She as blushing, if only from stumbling over her words. She was being foolish, and even after being brutally attacked, she was letting the shame of it get to her. It was hard to let go, admittedly. When it came down to choice and action, one usually had only themselves to blame for letting an opportunity slip through their hands.

In the end really, it was her assailant's fault for not killing her out right. Because she wasn't going to give them a second chance.

The door soon opened from her musings and she noticed the tray full of food. Her stomach growled again.  "Quiet you!" she growled back at it once the tray was close enough.  "This is divine."  She inhaled sharply to smell it and a potato quickly.

For once something akin to a smile touched her lips. "Thank you, Mr....erm?"

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Zero

"Yes, it is rather good. My housekeeper is an excellent cook." Roman mused as he carefully set the tray on the nightstand next to the bed with a grin. Serving others was his entire profession, although he was usually serving in a very different way.

"Ah yes, I suppose introductions are in order, aren't they? Roman Moretti, at your service, little bird. How unfortunate to meet under such circumstances, but well meet all the same." She could have died if they hadn't met! Although he was sure she could have fallen against any door and someone would have helped her.

Backing off from the bed, no need to be crowding her, Roman returned to his chair. "Drink as much of the wine as you wish. I have plenty of other bottles."

Lion

That was no certainty. But Adrienn wasn't that to question her luck. Only a fool discounted their fortune to linger on the what ifs. So she graciously took to her savior's generosity. It was the least she could do, after all he had done.

"Ser Adrienn Chastain. A pleasure," she greeted and watched him take leave.  She didn't protest it and she focused on her meal quietly, letting the wine seep into her bones and make her marinated.  She drank whatever was left in the bottle. Or thought she did until the last glass she had spilled on his bed.

"Shit!"

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Zero

Mostly he took his chair so that his unexpected guest could eat in relative peace, but also he just felt a bit lazy and wanted to watch her. For the moment she amused him as a curiosity, given the way she'd fallen into his lap - so to speak.

Roman had only enjoyed a single glass, so there was plenty for her to drink. He wasn't sure what he expected, but not quite for her to finish off the entire bottle. Definitely not to spill the last of it on the bed. Although her reaction to the mishap caused him to chuckle somewhat even as he moved to help her with the accident.

Far worse things had been spilled on most of his beds.

"It's alright. No real harm done." Sheets could be cleaned. The mattress and coverings were all wet now, though. A wet bed was no place to rest. He took the glass from her and set it aside gently."I think we should move you to another bed, little bird. Mary will clean everything up in the morning."

Lion

In truth, Adrienn hated being coddled like this, even if she knew there was little to be helped from it. A fearsome knight made humble by a blade to the back and being treated as if she were as delicate as a flower. She resented the implication that she could do nothing for herself, even if it had been made with little more than good intentions.

She set the tray aside, and tried to move, to get out of bed.  To stand. Her body was healing as she spoke, but it would take some time to fully recover. So as she did so, Adrienn's hold on the table beside her shook with her hold. But she tried to stand,  and the moment weight gathered on her legs, pain shot up her spine and she fell forward.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Zero

Roman let out a patient sigh as she tried to get up on her own. There was much to be said about stubborn pride - especially in such a situation as this. Why did some people have so much trouble accepting help?

It was something to ponder another time.

When she fell forward he was ready, his arms engulfing her gently, trying not to aggravate her injuries as he pulled her to his chest. "Easy, little bird. Your body needs rest to heal properly, if you push too hard you're going to undo all the hard work the good doctor put into mending you. You wouldn't want to seem ungrateful, would you? Why don't you let me carry you?"

Lion

No, she didn't like being cradled or coddled, but she had to face the facts. She wasn't going anywhere any time soon if she kept straining herself. She would not heal properly and be even more of a burden.  So when Roman pressed her to his chest, she let her head rest there.  Gods this was awkward.  And damn did he smell good.  Like peach cobbler.

For a second she leaned into him, only to clear her throat and looked up at his face.  She wanted to smack that look off his face.  She didn't know why, it simply irked her.  No use in further protest.

"Very well," she agreed, albeit reluctantly, and reached her arms up to wrap around his neck.  "Why do you smell like peaches?"

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Zero

Look? Why his face was an angelic image of innocence! At least that is what he'd have claimed if she asked about it. Instead she asked about peaches.

Roman let a grin dimple his cheeks just a touch as he leaned down to hook an arm under her knees, lifting her bridal style into his arms - taking great care with her. No matter what else was said of him, he could not be accused of not being very accommodating to his guests. Even the unexpected ones.

"Why? Because peaches smell very delicious, and I find most people amenable to pleasant smells. Would you prefer something a little muskier? Some like that too." Ah, the cheekiness was palpable as he carried her from the room and down the hall. He would have to leave her to rest soon. Both for her own good and because the hour was growing late and he would have company shortly.

Best to settle her in for the night before that!

The new room was similar to the last, although the colors were different. This room was earthy browns and greens. Roman set her down carefullly on top of the comforters. "I would offer to turn down the bed and tuck you in, but something tells me you wouldn't appreciate it as much as a more delicate little bird."

Lion

"If I'm a little bird, does that make you a big bird, Goshawk?" Adrienn smirked as she was laid down on the bed. As uncomfortable as she was with all this pampering, she wasn't going to be an unruly guest, not for the duration of her stay. She was raised better than that.

"Thanks though, I mean. I'm not...accustomed to all this. At all," she said with a nod, gesturing to the room around her. The silks, the finery, the wine, even te food was much more than she was accustomed to. "I'll find someway to repay your kindness.  I leave no debts unpaid, Mr. Moretti."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Zero

"Ah, but that is the beauty of it, little bird. I am whatever you want me to be." Being whoever other people wanted him to be was kind of his entire purpose in life. Some might not have been able to handle it, but Roman rather liked shaping himself to meet others expectations. Things stayed interesting whenever someone was around for him to actually adapt for.

"You don't have to be accustomed to something to relax and enjoy it while it lasts. I rather encourage people to enjoy nice things whenever and wherever they can." Hedonism was key to his very existence, after all. "But don't worry about the repayment right now. When you're well enough to get out of bed again we can argue about payments as much as you like. For now, please try to rest, little bird. I'm afraid I will have to cut our time together short tonight, as I'm expecting company soon."

He should have been getting ready for that company, but emergencies took priority!

Lion

He wasn't that unbearable, she supposed. But he seemed just a tad bit too accommodating. "Truthfully, I don't want you to be anything," she said, shrugging, or almost save for the pain in her back.  "I do appreciate the hospitality however. Thank you."  With that she settled into the bed and relaxed against the coverlets.

There wasn't much more he could do for her. All that remained to be seen was how well and quickly she could recover. "Go, see to your guest. I'll be content in here," she said and shoo'd him away.  Adrienn sighed and pulled the pillow further under her head, and closed her eyes, to try and sleep the aches away.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn