Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Break from Banditing

Started by Anonymous, January 25, 2006, 04:55:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

I don't think this is such a good idea, Dusk...

"Quiet, you. We've got to make money somehow."

"... I'm with Cyril."

"You're always with Cyril, asswipe."

The three thieves -- warrior, mage, and psychic -- trailed down the streets of Arca, bickering amongst themselves. The tallest one, Dusk, bore at his side the swallow he favored in battle; it was covered with wrappings, of course, to hide the fact that it was a weapon. Most saw it as a (very) oddly-shaped walking stick. It seemed he was the primary instigator of the coming ordeal, whilst the two brothers watched in whimsical acquiescence.

Again Cyril spoke, not by words but by mind, I know we've no money till the next heist, but is it really so wise to try bounty hunting? It seems a little...

Dusk retorted under his breath, "Yeah, yeah. I know." Gliding his hand over the bandages and wedges that bound his swallow, the enforcer also said, "It's still good money. Do you disagree with that...?" Audibly, Cyril gave a sigh, but telepathized, I can't deny it.

They were quite the sight: A warrior, a mage, and a guy walk into a bar... Well, not yet. Pleasantries would have to wait till the job was done. Kyril walked lively, enthusiastically, a spring pounding out his every step. He cared nothing for fighting, in truth, but being with his brother and his comrade was the best medicine he could hope for. If they would go, then he would follow.

Cyril, on the other hand from Dusk, was far from convinced. Was this really wise, sending three bandits out to bounty hunt in the open where anyone could see their faces? Not smart.

Upon reaching the bounty office, a small brick building (yet strongly built), Dusk gave notice to his comrades to wait outside, whereby he entered the store. The office wasn't as polished as some places were, but the fireplace, at least, offered some charm. Back in the booth stood an older woman, stern like a grandmother whose grandchildren had done wrong, who chirped, "Welcome~! How can I serve you in killing people?"

"... I just want to get some money..."

The old woman laughed. "Not my place to judge; Dead or Alive, either is fine. Any bounties take your fancy -- there on that wall?" Dusk turned, finding a collection of wanted notices, complete with pictures and vital information, and though many more were worth a higher price, one caught his eye:

Quote from: "Bounty Poster"Wanted: Chan Lee-Chou
Wanted For: Robbery, Murder (3 counts), Unlawful Use of a Weapon Within the Bounds of a City
Favored Weapon: Double-Headed Swallow
Reward: ....

"... That man killed someone?"

Nodding, the old woman explained, "Yes, a family of three. It was a heist, and they say that those people got in the way. Pity... They were some fine people. ... You okay?"

Loosening his white knuckles, soothing his breath, Dusk shifted his head just enough to meet the woman's stare. "I'll take that bounty. You willing to pay that much?" A nod from the proprietor was all Dusk needed, as he quickly snatched up a ticket from the front desk, signifying that he was taking that bounty, waved a quick goodbye, and slammed the door shut on the way out.

"Did you find one," Kyril asked, as Dusk left the office. There was no response, just a quick glance away. "... Dusk?"

Kyril. Give him space. came the word from Cyril, who stepped ahead to place a comforting hand on his companion's shoulder. This time he spoke, in a voice streaming with leadership and honor: "Whatever it is, we'll take it together. We're comrades."

Dusk knew that his psychic friend suspected something, though he couldn't know the truth. Chan Lee-Chou was the name of a kid in Connlaoth as he had grown up; he, too, had used a swallow, and he, too, listened attentively as he was taught to disdain magic. If those killed were magicians... If he shed innocent blood for no other reason... Dusk's hand tightened into a clenched fist, and more noticeably, his swallow's wrapping ripped slightly where he clawed at it.

"Are you okay?" Kyril asked, worried. Returning to a null form, Dusk responded softly, "Yeah. Let's go get this bastard." Not another word was needed, as the three headed off for the last-known location of Chan: Cerenis.

(( I'm throwing an NPC gang into the mix: Chan Lee-Chou and his group, mostly comprised of Connlaothian activists who want to destroy all mages within the kingdoms. There ought to be at least four or five of them, so please, if you want to join -- join! Maybe we could work in one of your NPCs to the quest. ))