Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Virtue, Forever Fickle [Lion]

Started by AevumEternity, November 18, 2016, 12:53:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AevumEternity

Gaze wandering to the revelers, the young woman crossed her arms over her chest, listening in respect. She could hear his obvious dodge and decided it best not pursue, he was enjoyable company- and at this moment she was not keen upon driving that away.

" That is admirable, Sirrah Merric-" she speaks after a moment of thoughtful pause," Do you serve as a direct follower of Ansgar himself or one of our patron saints? I admit... My piety has grown lacking in recent years." Her gaze darkened considerably, alas, she remained fixed upon the nobles, the cold stones of the wall sucking the warmth from her back as she rested against it. If only she could allow herself to slip into that naive mindset.

Lion

"Yes, I find our faith's are tested every day, including my own. Please trust, I'm not here to attend to any priestly duties. I'm just a civilian like any other," he said, trying to chuckle.  The laugh was forced, and even he knew it. Truth be told, he knew he could never be just a civilian. Not when the weight of his name followed him everywhere.

When he joined the Church, he knew he was giving up his title, his stature, in order to serve a higher power.  The hope was to be able to do good in more ways than where he was, that was his hope...  Little did he know the bad that would come with it. But with power came the need for it's responsible application, and not all within the Order were fond of restraint.

"I'm sorry, though, to hear of your loss.  You have my condolences. And I understand what it can be like to have a realm of purpose thrust upon you, and all the expectations that come with it," he went on carefully, tone growing more solemn.  "But...is it only the troubles of losing your family and marriage that way on your mind? Or is there something more?"

Like to kill mages?  Join the Order!
The Order of St. Agratha

Help Rebuild Connlaoth from the ashes of war!
The Red Legion

Jump in the water's fine!
Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"Life is a series of dogs." -George Carlin
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

AevumEternity

Her eyes flicker back to him, gently tilting her head," Ah- please, my friend- I seem to have turned this into a confessional of sorts- I am sure you are not looking to continue your faithful duties at this moment, yes?" She chuckles lightly, stepping away from the wall, offering her arm once more.

" If I may- I would like to show you something of interest beyond this simple gathering if you would so like?" Hakon tilts her head gently to one side, offering a gentle smile once more.

Lion

He dropped his head, cheeks burning slightly. Sure, he just said he wasn't taking confession, but from one human being to another, it was too easy to fall into that now of all times. Mercuxio nodded to her, willing to let it go as she had a point. "I'll try not to do anything else quite so priestly while I'm here. It's rather hard to get out of that state," he admitted.

He looked to her arm and gently took it once more. "Very well, if you're more familiar with this household than I am, please I'd like to be pleasantly surprised," he said to her.  "I suspect something more brings you here other than husband hunting?"

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

AevumEternity

Shaking her head with another soft, bubbly laugh bursting from her throat- she placed her hand over top of his as he took her arm," Please- do not apologize, truly, there is no need," she chides lightly. She hadn't imagined priests to be of the apologetic sort, or at least those that she met- perhaps he wasn't as at peace with himself as most monks... Nonetheless, her showed himself to be a decent man, so this did not bother her in the slightest.

Walking once more, gently guiding them along the outskirts of the revelers who began to thin as the evening grew cooler, Lady Kilandre shrugs gently," Well, as you noted before, many lesser nobles are here to create alliances. I am afraid to say I am one of those, but-" she purses her lips thoughtfully, ten shaking her head,"- we shall see how that works. For now, I'd rather show you something of my own. Have you ever heard of Theocog Sirrah Merric?"

Lion

"For now, I think I can be agreeable," Mercuxio nodded in acquiescence. He gazed briefly to the crowd behind them and was thankful to be pulled away into more pleasant company.  The trip south had been long and arduous, and this once he not quite as thankful to be back in the capital. Reajh was a city with a spirit all its own, never sleeping for long when it did, with whispers being traded in all corners of its stone.

"Theocog?" he found himself parroting, as they made their way through the halls. "I can't say I have. And...you can hold the 'Sirrah', Lady Hakon.  But go on. What are these Theocog?  It sounds vaguely familiar, but I've traveled all over the country and seen and heard many things."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

AevumEternity

Beaming somewht proudly, she tilts her head gently in response as they exited the facility, the streets being rather dark and quiet- a relieving change but for the cold wind that whistled through the buildings. Perhaps it was not the wisest decision for them to be out in such finery, alas, Hakon worried little due to the fact that both she and her companion seemed more then adept enough to handle themselves.

" Then you may simply call me Hakon, my friend," she answers lightly, supressing a shiver as they made their way to a stable not far from the lavish hall- the warm smell of hay and steed instantly hitting their faces- for Hakon it was pleasant and familiar, maybe not so much for her companion," As for Theocog- they've been named such because they are warhorses of incredibly power, stature, intelligence- my family has bred and protected them for the last century or so, I think you maybe be pleased with 'God's Horse'," she flashed him a delighted smile- the church had yet to examine the creatures officially, yet she know those who had seen them were more then impressed.

Lion

Impressed was putting it lightly. And for the while it took to make it to the stables outside of the manor where they sparred, Merric felt himself relax considerably. Until he saw the horse she presented to him , he stared at it in a mix between shock and wonder.

"This...is what you rode in on?" he asked, turning to stare at her and he kept his brows raised and eyes wide

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

AevumEternity

Unable to supress the happy hum bubbling from her throat, Hakon Kilandre approaches the massive stall- reaching out to the beast," This is Purgatorio, my own companion-" she confirms softly as she unlatches the gate, allowing the massive horse to lope forward. The dim light of the night mixed with the dull flicker of a nearby torch caused the muscles of the creature's body to dance and writhe silver and orange. It towered nearly two feet above the woman who affectionately began to rub its soft nose before lowering its head to receive an affectionate kiss. The blue eyes the white-grey stallion sported seemed to hold intelligence to a further degree then most animals as it focused solely on the woman before it.

Shifting slightly, Hakon glances at the man beside her, beaming with pride," Yes- and he is my warhorse, my tank, my second half in battle." she sang the praises to her horse as the massive steed swung its head about to flare its nostrils at him, ears flaring curiously.

Lion

Brilliant majesty, those were the words that were on Mercuxio's mind in this moment. And he stood breathless still as he watched the two - horse and woman - greet each other with such connection. It was one he could understand, shared with his own charger, Titus. But he couldn't claim to ever have seen a creature like this one before. 

The sheer power in his being was obvious, not merely from his size and stature, but from the look in Purgatorio's eyes. He knew his strength and did not fear it. Mercuxio felt a grave respect form within him, the beast knew his duty and would carry it out all he could.

"He's remarkable," he breathed out at last. "I can't say I've seen one before. Although...the extra legs seem cumbersome, clearly your steed doesn't think so."  Mercuxio chuckled and reached up to touch the horse, letting the charger smell him first in the asking of permission.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

AevumEternity

The silky muzzle brushes his hand, lips brushing against his palm tenderly before seeming to give him the slightest acknowledgement with a flicker of its ears- agreeing to his silent inquiry. Wrapping her arms about the thick neck, rubbing her hands across the sinewy shoulders.

" You would think so, wouldn't you? It is rather impressive to watch, when in movement, the both legs on each side work in cohesion, providing more power- only do they grow put of sync at certain times, it is most amazing to watch-" her hands trail down the muscular legs, Hakon kneels briefly to examine a hard patch of skin upon one knee,"- they rear and can crack more skulls, carry much more weight-" she looks at the man, eyes shining.

" Perhaps you would like to try mounting, Purgatorio? He seems to have takena. Liking to you- so your heart..." she trails off, standing slowly as the great horse lowers its head, seeming to look him directly in the eye, evaluating his worth to it.

Lion

Mercuxio met his gaze. Few things could make him break where his eyes fell. His cold blue eyes met the darkened ones of the horse as he let his hand drag up the horse's muzzle and scratch his chin firmly. Mercuxio tilted his head, wondering at what opinion the horse was finding. Not that he would set his whole life and mind and hope on it. But it remained a curiosity never the less. 

"Are you certain? Of course...that decision is entirely up to him. I've been riding horses my whole life. Sans birth of course," he murmrued and rubbed against the horse's chin.  "And what have you decided, Purgatorio?  Is this an acceptable request for you? I'll respect whatever you wish."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

AevumEternity

Hakon's lips curled in delight, her eyes widening a fraction in her joy- it was the first time she saw anyone within the city treat Purgatorio with such respect. Her nails gently scratch the thickly muscled neck. The white stallion lowers its gaze, one massive hood striking the ground with a thunderous clap as it lowered its head further- in something akin to a bow.

Hakon turned lightly on her heel, slipping past the warhorse's hindquarters. Retrieving an enormous saddle that seemed to be almost twice her size and weight- but still she held it firmly if not with an obvious strain. Stepping back to her charger's flank, pushing it up its large side, standing on her toes to do so.

Lion

"Oh he said yes? I must not have been listening," Mercuxio remarked with mild humor.  He watched her idly as she placed the saddle on the massive horse. He removed his hand from Purgatorio's thick muscled jaw and neck. His hair was surprisingly soft, probably from being brushed and doted upon constantly. It was just as likely that he was lucky he wasn't fat. Clearly he was favored quite well over any other horse with how he connected with Hakon.

"Don't give me that look. I was too listening," he murmured and scratched the horse's chin once more before looking over to Hakon. "I'd be honored to do so. But perhaps you could assist me? I'd like the guidance of someone more familiar with such a strong animal."  Mercuxio gestured to the saddle.  "Whether front or back, I'm not picky."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

AevumEternity

Reaching beneath the barrel-like chest, securing the first straps before lacing the straps about the thick chest of her prize as well. In fact, Purgatorio was the only horse she ever rode- if she could help it- hopping on any other nags simply felt akin to a traitorous betrayal of her dear companion. She looks at him playfully, pursing her lips," Very well, I shall join you- for the sake of dearest Purgatorio~" her grvaely voice rose into a joyous song.

Moving back into the shadows, she retrieved the reigns- pausing long enough to admire the man with her dearest of friends. For a priest, he held the predatory stance, the air of authority and slow confidence often associated with knights of legend and saints. Pursing her lips, the noble woman allowed warmth to spread through her chest.

Shaking her head slowly, Lady Kilandre chuckles, platinum locks swaying before her face as she emerged back into the dim light. The white charger's head turning to accept the bridle with little to no resentment. Jaw working briefly to settle the steel bit behind his teeth- her hazel-grey eyes flicker to Merric," My friend- whenever you are ready, I shall follow suit, but it may be in your best interest to adjust the stirrups, as our height is rather differing~"

Lion

Her excitement was becoming infectious. Despite this being a rather unusual situation, Mercuxio had found himself relaxed in her presence. He wasn't looking over his shoulder as he was prone to do. Here and now, however, he was thankful he found someone in that room of bland and blank faces that allowed him to grow at ease in the moment.

"Very well," Mercuxio said once the saddle was strapped onto the massive horse. He did as she bid and threw himself onto the saddle as best he could.  The leap was not an easy one, but he did so in a practiced stride, clearly he did a lot of mounting of horses.  And settled his boots into the stirrups as necessary.  Whether she needed help in climbing up behind him, he didn't ask, but extended his hand anyway, scooting forward into the saddle as necessary.

"This is certainly different than my own charger," he said. "A Bellkrath born and bred, large for his filigree, but not nearly as large as this!"  Mercuxio grinned as he adjusted to feeling the Theocog beneath him. "Is it strange that I can feel him breathing so strongly?  Hmmm, maybe not strange.  It's absolutely wonderful."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

AevumEternity

" Monsters need Monsterous lungs,"she answers lightly, it almost felt as if a golden glow had settled in her stomach. The company of this many she had met nearly an hour ago was most reassuring- gently grasping the reigns, she walks lightly from the stable, Purgatorio following as well, large head bobbing faintly. Reaching the open street, a sliver of moon hanging silver in the night sky. Hakon was rapt in the sight for a moment, releasing a contented sigh.

After simply drinking in the night for several moments, she turned upon her heel, releasing the leather strands. The Lady looked up at him with a bright, beaming smile," I'm afraid now, Sirrah, I will have to ask you for assistance in mounting dear Purgatorio- he does not enjoy me scaling his tail~" joking lightly, her hand rests upon his shin rather unconciously. Bright eyes shining in the darkness.

Many days had passed since she felt such a weightlessness, supposing it was simply too enjoyable to have another of pleasant company. A warrior, perhaps a pious one that could teach her restraint- the last thing on her mind being the son of a duke... Illustrious yet- but she would butt heads with any Duke should they prove themselves to be that disagreeable.

Lion

Mercuxio was higher than he expected, out in the street as he was, and looking down at Hakon. At her admission that she'd have to climb onto Purgatorio's ass just to get on was more than amusing and he fought against his instincts to keep from laughing at the imagined scene playing out. He was careful when he reached out to grasp Hakon's hand to help her up.

"Wrists work best I think," he said, gripping her arm firmly until she had the leverage to hoist herself up into the saddle. His body managed the weight of pulling her up just fine, and he only grunted when he settled back into the saddle. "I'd imagine getting kicked by this horse would be less than pleasant. Putting it lightly of course."

He chuckled and cut his eyes behind her, watching the light of the moon against her face. His eyes narrowed just a bit, and he lifted his arms enough so she could fit the length of the reigns around him and his hands settled on the saddle's pommel.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

AevumEternity

Noticing his lips tighten, eye narrowing in supressed mirth, she internally congratulated herself, snickering under her breath. Pushing herself up with his aid, even managing to slip her foot into the stirrup with his briefly as she swung her leg over the horse's wide hips- settling just behind him.

Her hands loosely gripped the reigns before releasing them, lightly touching Merric's knees as she explained," He takes directions mostly from your legs- you have no need to jerk his head around- he may be large, but he is vigilant... Isn't that right, my noble steed?" Her response was a brief turn of the Theocog's head, look straight at the pair. A sneeze. Then returning once more to focus upon the street ahead, already his flank twotching with excitement.

Smirking, Kilandre plaed her arms around Merric's waist," He will be slower then what you may be used to, but just let yourself... Feel the power in him- I hope you will see why we named them such." She turned her head, pressing her cheek awkwardly to the back of Mercuxio's shoulder blade- his height making it impossible for her to look over her shoulder without possibly breaking her nose once they would begin moving~

Lion

Mercuxio did as she instructed him, and allowed himself to relax against the horse.  "I'm no stranger to riding.   But this is a little different, that's for certain."  He squeezed his legs together enough to direct the massive beast to move with him and allowed the horse to find his footing on the street, the clopping of hooves echoing loudly against cobblestone.

"He puts anyone in their grave soon enough was what I initially thought," Mercuxio said, looking back at her.  "And I have a feeling that's truer than my little jest."  He chuckled and shook his head.  "And you've been breeding beasts like these for over a century?  That's absolutely fascinating. I have never seen or heard of a creature like this.  I imagine it would be in your duchy's best interest to keep hold of this secret for some time, yes? Lest someone steal your hard earned stock."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn