Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Dragons and Riders [Private]

Started by TheHopeseeker, January 27, 2017, 01:20:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheHopeseeker

Should have been faster

A high pitched whistle filled his ears, the sting of the wind as it slapped his face making his teeth ache. The spinning motion was enough to throw his stomach into his throat, the blurred landscape around him an unrecognisable mix of blue, white and green.

Should have seen it coming

His hands were numb, frozen. Fingers knotted through the thick fur of the dragon's mane, his body pressed against her neck as they hurtled towards the ground. He could feel the blood seeping into the leg of his pants, making the fabric stick to his skin, warm and wrong.

I'm sorry, Riy. I should have been faster

The first branch broke their fall with all the force of a mountain. The earsplitting snap it caused  only the first of many. The wild, uncontrolled landing was a haze of harsh hits and bone rattling shakes. The impact with the ground was worse, their speed still too much for the near vertical fall. He was thrown forwards nearly immediately, his frozen fingers ripped from the reins as he flipped over Riy's head.

His back collided with the ground, his momentum enough to send him rolling until he hit solid rock, a thousand sharp needles searing through his spine as Riy's pained moans filled his head, before his vision tunnelled and darkness descended on Tahir Lazslo, a blazing trail of destruction left in his wake.

Blink

It didn't matter what she was doing in that moment when the snaps of branches could be heard reverberating throughout the forest, that was what took priority. The young dragoness was almost enraged by the sounds, being able to tell simply from them that a major amount of destruction had taken place. Who dared destroy her home in such an obnoxious way?

Shifting into her dragon form she took flight into the sky to see a long trail of broken trees, and at the end lay two bodies. One of them was pretty similar to hers... a dragon. The other though was a being less significant, human. Piecing it together in her mind she realized what was now laying on the forest floor beneath her was a crash site, one of a rider and a dragon. Pathetic, the only word she could think of to describe the scene.

Kaida had always thought dragon riders were scum, humans who usually only wished they could take flight and be as magnificent as those of her species. And then there were the dragons who allowed such an act, a disgrace in her eyes.

Lowering herself closer to the landing site Kaida's talon edged wings fluttered for only a moment before her claws touched the soil. Remaining in her dragon form she slowly approached them, and with each step her razor sharp claws dug into the ground. She would have shifted into her human form if there had not been another dragon here, but at least this way she was protected. Her pointed scale covered body the best defense against other dragons whether they be friend or foe.

She payed no attention to the human at first who seemed to be silently suffering all on his own against a rock, he was no threat. However the dragon was, even if it was slightly smaller than her she knew that most dragons had some form of trick in the hiding. Almost like a curious dog she approached the dragon, taking in the scent of it while her tail whipped behind her.

TheHopeseeker

Riy let out a low moan of paints she rolled onto her side, her injured wing draped over the ground next to her. The wound on her side throbbed dully, a pulsating ache that spread through her abdomen. The rogue dragon had aimed well. Forcing herself to open her eyes and raise her head, she froze when the scent of another dragon hit her senses. Nostrils flaring, her head snapped around, crystal blue eyes taking in the sight of the unfamiliar dragon creeping into the clearing they had made.

Through the dragon's legs, she could see Tahir, slumped limply on the ground, the scent of human blood rich in the air. Snapping her attention back to the approaching dragon, she growled lowly in her throat, stumbling to her feet to face the newcomer.

Blink

Immediately Kaida stepped back as the dragon took a defensive stance towards her. It was more on reflex really, not fear. How dare this dragon that allowed a human to ride upon its back stand up to a Black-Hearth of all beings. She did however note how the dragon had looked past her to the human still slumped against a stone... still pathetic.

If Kaida were truly heartless she would have turned around and ended the human's suffering which would in turn free this manipulated dragon. Human's were nothing more than creatures meant to serve and feast upon occasionally. Pawns in a game.. a means to an end. She would never be able to understand why magnificent creatures like herself would lower themselves to that level. Inside Kaida was rolling her eyes as this all reminded her of her brother Aeizith, finding love in essentially anything that wasn't a dragon.

Shaking her head back and forth she expressed the confusion she now felt. Of course she would not harm the dragon, just by looking at it she could tell it was a young one, very very young. This dragon still had time to grow and learn the truths of the world. Kaida herself was always considered young compared to her siblings, but she had a few thousand years on this one by far. So instead of attacking she simply let out a growl of her own, laced with the high frequency undertones that would cause a mortal to fall to its knees in pain. But these would only cause discomfort to another dragon. She only did it to show how much more she was compared to this youngling.

If Kaida was anything it was a being who commanded respect.

TheHopeseeker

Riy let out a soft grunt at the larger dragon, taking a couple of steps back adage shook her head, the discomfort only added to her previous injuries. Settling narrowed blue hues on the darker dragon, she blew out a breath before focusing on trying to reach her mind, her voice echoing in the other's head. "Who are you?" She asked, adjusting her weight to favour her injured side conspicuously, still wary of the strange dragon.

Blink

Kaida watched as the dragon before her shifted, taking note of how she favored one side over the other. Then when the dragon's voice echoed within the confines of her own mind Kaida tilted her head. "What do you mean who am I? I am Kaida Black-Hearth. The youngest of the Black-Hearth family lineage and leader of the Black-Hearth death guard as well as HIgh Executor of the Black-Hearth cita-"

Kaida stopped herself from completely the statement. What she should have said is that she was the high executor of the Black-Hearth citadel. But the citadel was no more... no longer relevant to her family. She was still however everything else she had stated. "And who are you? I mean other than a pathetic dragon who allows humans to ride on their back." The dragon shook its head again this time to show the pure disguist she held for such a dragon.

TheHopeseeker

Riy was taken aback by that, to say the least. She observed Kaida with newfound wariness and curiosity both, her eyes fixed on the elder dragon's face. While she was still very young, she knew more than enough about her fellow dragons to know the Black Hearth name. It would do her well to be carefully.
"I am Riy,"she answered simply, tucking her wings in against herself as he gaze flickered to her still unmoving partner, "And I see no wrong in my actions. The humans are our allies."

Blink

The young dragoness felt her heart swell slightly when the one she faced seemed to recognize her families name. Obviously to Kaida the Black-Hearth's were nothing more than extraordinary, but to others... this was not always the case. As much as she wanted to believe that every mortal being feared them the truth was that most probably had no idea who they were, only dragons knew of them it seemed. 

But after the initial happiness that flooded her Kaida's eyes followed Riy's as they flicked towards the still incapacitated human. "The humans see us as a means to an end... nothing more." Studying the human still slumped against the rock Kaida took a step towards him to observe the being further. "Your human seems to be in pain. Shall I end his suffering for you?" In all honesty Kaida would have already ended his life if it had not been for the young dragon standing with her. Unlike humans Kaida did have enough sense to show other dragon's a sense of respect some may think impossible from her.

TheHopeseeker

Riy stiffened instantly at that, a growl escaping through her clenched teeth as she took a few quick steps forwards, cursing the fact Tahir had been thrown so far from her. "Please do not hurt him," she pleaded, another careful step towards her Rider, "He has done nothing to you!"

Even as she spoke, she started gently probing at Tahir's mind, trying to urge him back to consciousness, her efforts laced with concern. Tahir. Tahir, please. Wake up! Tahir!

Blink

Kaida rolled her large dragon eyes at Riy. "This one... no. Other humans that think it is okay to mount the back of majestic beasts like us.. too many to count" The pointed scales on her head flattened a bit as she lowered her neck now walking slowly towards the human. "This one may as well have been one of the others. Same values... same beliefs... riding and using us like horses"

Kaida's tail started to whip behind her as the rage slowly built towards this human. She was unaware that once again she was letting out the low growl laced with the abilities her sound carried with it. But just as quickly as she started it stopped, and Kaida was once again frozen in her tracks. Whipping her head back around towards Riy Kaida darted her tongue. "If you were anything else I would have already killed him."

TheHopeseeker

Riy took another few cautious steps forward, shaking her head as she replied, "He does nothing of the sort. He asked my permission to ride me and I gave it. He is my ally and friend. I do not expect you to understand, but please let him be." She implored of the elder dragon, watching as a grimace flickered across Tahir's face, and a brief burst of relief flooded her face before she realised that him waking up now might not be the best outcome.

Blink

Just as Riy's attention flashed towards the man so did Kaidas. He wasn't dying afterall... how inconvenient. "I will allow it simply because you are only a few years away from having hatched from your own egg. But one day you will see the truth behind mortals. But just for safe measure I will judge him on my own thank you."

Only time would tell when the man woke up how he would react to Kaida standing there. He would open his eyes and not see one, but two dragons before him. Taking a few steps away to allow Riy to be the closest to him Kaida simply stood now staring at the man. Even though her attention was still on him she wanted to get one more message to Riy. "You have many years ahead of you. I am considered a young dragon and I am over 4000 years old. Many years will pass and this human will die like all others. Just apparently today will not be the day the reaper comes for him it seems."

TheHopeseeker

Riy let out a heavy breath at her words, stepping forwards to gently tap Tahir's arm with her leg. Her head swivelled back towards Kaida at her last words, crystal blue eyes narrowed but accepting at the same time. "I know that. But while he still lives, I would stay at his side." She replied shortly, before her attention was drawn back to Tahir when the blood let out a soft grunt, eyes flickering open slowly.

[POV SWITCH]

His vision was blurred the second his eyes cracked open, a mass of green and brown that swirled into one nauseating mess. A soft groan slid from his lips as he attempted to sit up, only to have his body immediately leap to catalogue his aches and pains. His head was fuzzy and sore, a multitude of bruises no doubt splayed over the rest of his body, but his back was the worst. A thousand heavy hammers pounded against his spine, the wrath of all the deities known to man surely being inflicted upon him.

A small whimper tore from his lips as his hand searched the earth around him, his eyes having fallen closed again of their own accord. His fingers brushed against the solid warmth of what he eventually realised was a paw, and with a slight frown, he managed to pull heavy lids open again. The first thing he saw was the familiar, if somewhat fuzzy, face of Riy, concerned crystal hues fixed on him as he forced a small smile. "H-hey...are you...alright?"

Riy shook her head, for reasons he could not fathom, before her voice resonated through his head. "I am fine, for now, but we have company." There was a tone to her voice he didn't like, wary, nervous even. With a great deal more effort than he felt it should have fairly taken, he turned his head the way she indicated, mismatched gaze falling upon the large dragon standing a few paces behind Riy.

".....hi."

Blink

Immediately when the human addressed her Kaida's stance turned threatening once more. Her tail started whipping back and forth again and her head lowered a bit with pointed scales falling back on her body, she however did not attack. It was only because Riy was a dragon and requested Kaida not harm the human that she refrained from such force. Any other time Kaida had encountered a dragon and its rider she ended its life shortly after.

This was a life lesson Riy would have to learn on her own. If Kaida were to just kill the rider then nothing would have been taught, nothing learned from the lesson. But this did not mean Kaida had to show this human respect, despite how injured her was and clearly not a threat. None of this mattered. In her dragon form Kaida would be unable to communicate with this human, she lacked the bond necessary to do so mentally. So instead she opted for letting off yet another growl, this one the frequency much lower so as not to cause too much discomfort to the man but enough to let him know she was more than just a plain old dragon.

Her growl was a message of sorts, one to make him aware that she disproved of the scene she had stumbled upon. After her growl Kaida huffed a bit now raising her head as high as she could, another display that commanded respect. Narrowing her eyes she zoned in on the human scratching the earth with her claws a bit.

TheHopeseeker

Tahir watched the dragon as best he could through his somewhat hazy vision, his gaze never straying far from the magnificent beast before him. He could guess from her mannerisms and the aura of power that nearly visibly surrounded her that this was no ordinary dragon, Riy's quiet murmurings in the back of his head only confirming the fact.

Licking dry lips, he took a deep breath, as deep as his aching body would allow anyway, and pushed himself into a more upright position, eyes never leaving the large dragon, "We mean you no harm. I know you can understand me, so, please just let us be." He said quietly, watching her for any sign of aggression towards them.

Blink

The humans request sent Kaida into a fit of rage all within the confines of her mind. Who was he to tell her to let them be? They had come crashing down in her home and yet they wanted her to leave? Before she was even aware Kaida's body began to shift into that of her human form now revealing a very small framed almost young looking girl with long white hair. Stomping up to the human paying no mind to Riy at this point Kaida kicked dirt at him, a childish act in itself.

"You want me to leave you be!? Who do you think you are?" Crossing her arms over her chest she shifted the weight on her feet causing one hip to stand out more than the other, her stature an irritated one. "If you meant no harm you would not have came crashing down on the back of a dragon!" She did say she would not harm the human, but said nothing about giving him a piece of her mind.

TheHopeseeker

Tahir's expression would have almost been comical were it not for the situation at hand, pure surprise and slight shock on his face as he blinked up at the dragon, now in her human form. Gritting his teeth against the ache in his spine, he attempted to sit up a little straighter, unable to stifle the similarities between the previously large and, quite frankly awesome, dragon and a petulant teenager.

Licking his lips nervously, he lifted his gaze to just below the girl's, Kaida,'s Riy intoned, eyes, "In our defence, it was not our intention to destroy the-your forest. We were attacked by another dragon."

Blink

Narrowing her eyes Kaida continued to glare at the man. "Attacked by a dragon? I wonder why?" Comically she pretended to think on it for the briefest of moments. "Could it be perhaps because you were riding on the back of one?" Uncrossing her arms she took a few steps closer to the man, kneeling down and resting her arms on her knees now only a few feet in front of him. "This is not 'my' forest. It is 'my' home, just as it is home to many dragons.:"

Huffing a bit she stood back up turning her gaze now to Riy. "You are just another human who takes advantage of naive dragons. We are not meant to be ridden, you should be ashamed of yourself. If it were not for Riy I would have killed you the moment I realized what you were."

TheHopeseeker

Tahir frowned now, pushing aside his body's aches and pains to focus solely on the dragon in front of him. "Isn't it Riy'a choice? If she chooses to let me ride her, isn't that her own decision? I know many dragons so not think is humans should ride on your backs, but if the select dragons allows it, that is their own opinion on the matter, isn't it?" He tried to reason, mismatched eyes focused steadily on the dragon..woman.

Blink

The man's attempt at reasoning only infuriated her further. Snapping her head back at him she held her hands at her sides clenched into tight fits. "Even so what makes you think that it is okay! You wouldn't like it if I climbed on your back and demanded you go!" As the volume of her voice raised so did the soundwaves that traveled with it, her voice now laced with soundwaves to cause discomfort once more.

"You are scum, all of you humans are. Not worthy to walk the same plane with creatures like us. You use us for your battles and motives, we are the ones who die for you and fly into war for you." Scrunching her nose a bit she kicked the dirt once more. 'Pathetic pathetic pathetic!"