Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Common Misconceptions (M)

Started by RedOptics, February 03, 2017, 06:37:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RedOptics

"All my years, in all my years I was always ready to face death. But... lately, I've been rethinking it. I don't want to die, I want..." She sighed softly, looking down and shaking her head, "I want to be with you, to find out who my father is, and to help you find your kidnappers. I want... hm," Keona smiled softly to herself, blushing a tad bit before walking off and not even bothering to finish her sentence. She headed for their room, Ira in her arms and a quick step in her walk. Clearly she was secretly giddy about something.

The tiger sensed her happiness, and began to rethink his own feelings for Travis. Clearly she liked him, and maybe he liked her back. He decided to let the demon be, let him be kind as long as he doesn't hurt her. But by the looks of it, he wasn't going to any time soon.

Wrathwyrm

The demon was starting to have thoughts, as well.  They're not re-thinks, though.  They're first-thinks, thoughts that have begin to bud in his head and he wanted to double-check before taking the next step.  Specifically, it is a fact that he had egaged in a bit of harmless flirting back on the island, most of it going right over Keona's head.  He might try a bit more direct flattery, next time.  In fact, he might've engaged in some of that right now if umm...a hand hadn't gripped his shoulder from behind...and that if that hand hadn't contained a fair amount of power.

"Uhh, Keona?  Help?  My attention's been grabbed."

Namely, it had been grabbed by the gauntlet'd hand of Garlock The Destroyer, whose eyes were just about the only thing you could see under the hood.

"I think, perhaps, it's about the time that explanation of yours comes to light."

And then, Garlock had a hand on his shoulder: The captain's.

"I couldn't agree more, especially since I don't recall having a full-time magus on board."

"Umm...oversight?"

"I don't think so."

"Well, shit."

He then gestured to the guest quarters so that the questions may be addressed with a bit of privacy.

RedOptics

Sitting on the old bed, Ira purring and rubbing his head against her chin. The woman was still smiling to herself, thinking of that moment she actually kissed him. What a dummy, both of them. She was dumb enough to do it, and he was dumb enough to not realize what it was.

She would only be alone for a few minutes before the Captain came in. Somewhat startled, she looked up, half expecting to immediately be told to pack their stuff and leave.

Keo clutched slightly tighter to her companion, she also half expected for something to go horribly wrong, worse than leaving.

Wrathwyrm

Naturally, Travis was worried too, just enough to remove his laid-back status temporarily.  They were in a situation, and it was a bad one.  If they were put off this boat, they'd be sitting ducks.  and while the duck in the leather coat could take another fight at sea, Keona on a tiny boat that threatens to capsize in a situation like that was not acceptable.  She and him waited in the guest quarters while the captain was having a word with this strange magus.  He glanced over at her.

"I won't let them put you off of this boat.  It's too much to ask of you.  If anyone's going to take punishment, it's me."

Fully prepared to face the music, Travis' mood went from grim to...rather confused...as there had been a release of energy out in the hallway and - We kid you not. - maniacal laughter.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Basically, the situation went outside the room went like this: The captain started talking to this strange...

"No, listen.  I'm sure your skills would be most useful aboard my ship, but you are - in fact - a stowaway and-"

PZOW!!

Garlock eye-blasted him in the face with something, some sort of power or spell that did not seem to affect him physically...but seemed rather disorienting.  Directly thereafter, he transformed into a cat and left the hall, cackling.

"Mwa ha ha ha ha ha ha haaa!!"

That's a bit melodramatic, doncha' think, Gar?

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Travis opened the door to find the captain sauntering in, rubbing his temples.

"Agh...  A dizzy spell now, of all times...?"

"Captain, did that man do something to you?"

"Who...?  What...?  I'm sorry, my head's just a little fuzzy right now.  That monster...  Where did it come from?"

He seemed...out of it, but not completely out of it.  Garlock had hit him with a short-term Brainwarp.  Some of the finer details of his recent memory had been smoothed over, leaving it a might bit vague in there.  In time, he might remember that there was a stowaway on board...but the details about him were rather lost.

RedOptics

Setting Ira aside and taking in a deep breath, Keona put her game face on, "Sir, that monster... that monster is a result from my existence."

Way to flat out tell the truth. She was still visibly shaking from an axiousness that swept over her as she ignored the fact he was dumbfounded by now, and managed to ball a fist. Her knuckles glowed with an orange light before returning to normal, "We're om this ship to head for the truth. Look, I can't control these things, but I know it takes a while for them to regenerate and try to kill me again.... a sea dwelling Shadow may take even longer than a day. That is why I wish to be off this boat once land is seen, I don't want to cause anymore harm...." There was bravery then sadness in her eyes, "I'm just as upset as you are, and if you are going to throw us off this boat because of it, I understand.

The tiger looked up at her from where he sat, clearly inspecting this new mood she held.

Wrathwyrm

He appeared to be recovering from...whatever...as she spoke.  Her determination on the matter was certainly attention-grabbing.  He didn't undersand WHY this stuff happened, but then it was also kind of vague in understanding to the two winged travelers.

"I can sympathize your plight, madam.  Being hunted by a relentless force to the ends of the earth can certainly be a rough time for the best of folks, let alone other people.  I would prefer to put you to port, where you will be more able to handle the problem yourselves, but my ability to get there is hampered, as you know.  We've barely cleaned up yet."

"You said that you couldn't possibly nail the mast back in place because of the stub, right?"

"Correct."

"Well, I saw them pulling out the little mast on the dinghy and...can't you just pull out the stub and shove in the rest of the mast?"

He thought about it.

"Turn the main mast into a mizzen mast and catch all the air we can?  Yes, that sounds like a plan.  You go do that, now.  I'll put you on land, south of Essyrn, and there we will part ways."

"Aye aye, captain!"

Well, that seemed to please him.  And why not? They weren't going to be put off the ship.  As he went off, the captain turned back to Keona now.

"I'll be taxing every man with wind power and the healer to keep them strong.  I do this because while we could have lost everything, powerless as we were, you two managed to keep us afloat.  I'm not pleased by this, but will not be inhuman about it."

RedOptics

"Thank you." Sitting back down, Keona recollected her memory of the serpent, going over the image and studying how the water affected it. It's jaws were reinforced, and so was its outer hide. The shadows were creating full creatures, and soon they will be nearly impossible to defeat.

Feeling her full warmth, she checked to see if her abilities would work by lighting a candle flame in her palm, only to have it go out immediately. Sighing softly to herself, Keona gave up and flopped back, Ira jumping up and laying across her belly in content. Something about boats and masts filled her mind as they spoke, fixing and mending and any other word related to it.

Wrathwyrm

She could hear the sounds of men of the sea, busy at their work.  Plenty of noises and shouts and conversation were made all during this.  Some were a bit familiar, mostly because it sounded like Travis was involved.  Well, the whole mast thing was gonna be center attention, so that much was inevitable.  Let's listen, shall we?

"Alright, we have to get the stump out of there, which is gonna take a bit of work from below and above."

"No, it's not.  Watch this."

Since the conjuring of shadowsteel was a quiet thing, what Keona more-than-likely heard was a bunch of men sounding surprised.

"What is that?"

"It's...  Well, it's a very large corkscrew.  We twist it down into the stub, then pull.  It's a cinch.  Easier, at least."

"Okay, let's try it."

What followed was that of wood being augered into gradually, and then alot of grunting effort as they were getting the thing to come out.  It did NOT pop like a cork, nor was there ANY of the bubbly to follow.

"Alright, now I'm going to go demon and lift the mast - sails, rigging, and all - and drop it down in there.  What I need...is a punch in the face.'

"Come again?"

"I get power from getting hurt.  A punch in the face will gimme a quick jolt to lift it all up."

You...want us to punch you in the face."

"Well, I could punch myself, but it would look silly."

"And what you propose sounds ridiculous."

"Alright, fine."

A moment later, there was an unmistakeable thump against wood and an "Aagh!" from Travis, followed by a demon transformation sound, a mast-lifting sound, and a heavy THUNK! sound as it was deposited in the hole.

"That should do it, then.  I'm gonna take a break."

...which would mean he was going for the guest quarters.

RedOptics

She was quiet, for the most part, until she moved that is. Keona silently stood and set down Ira-who had managed to fall asleep due to her warmth-on the bed and walked over to the port hole window. She watched solemnly as the waters passed by, leaning on the wood with her elbows before rubbing her arms. Then began to weep softly to herself.

It was all her fault, she couldn't help but blame herself. Someone probably died because of her! Keona was only grateful that it wasn't her village she managed to destroy, "Oh mother... I'm so sorry. I know you told me to be strong... but this is just so difficult."

You'd only know she was crying if she turned around, and by this point her hair covered almost all visible parts of her face, hiding the emotion and bubbling tears.

Wrathwyrm

Thus, it was the case when Travis arrived that he was NOT aware.  He didn't have super hearing, nor was he at all attempting to eavesdrop on the room.  With the ship able to move faster again, they'd make the southern port in decent time.  This put him in good spirits.  Well, good enough.  He knew that nothing would undo the damaged that'd happened, in truth.  So, he entered the room now.

"We'll be getting to land relatively soon.   By night, probably."

Because she was facing the window and because Ira was asleep, he couldn't really read the situation that well.  He'll find out in a minute, though, right?

RedOptics

As Keona took in a breath, she pulled back the curtains of her hair to let her face return to normal once again. She put on her best and most fake smile before looking back at him like that, "Yay..."

Ira shifted before he woke up from the lack of warmth, immediately dropping down from the bed and trotting over to Keona, rubbing himself against her leg. It helped her feel better, only a little bit. The woman picked him up and sat on the bed again, making sure there was room for Travis if he wanted and stared into space while petting the tiger.

Wrathwyrm

It wasn't convincing enough, mainly because he just plain knew better.  There'd been hell a little while ago and they were in the middle of it.  Her attitude was somber at best, and everyone knew it.  So, with this in mind, Travis decided to speak up about something useful he knew about Essyrn, since he had spent a little time there, after all.

"You know, in Essyrn, they don't have alot of magic like you or I.  They do things like divination and fortune telling.  Now, I dunno how good any of them are, but if we were able to get some good information out of it, we would know the best way to proceed."

If they could meet the price of such a person - remembering, of course, that Essyrn was high into business and profit - they could learn how to find Keona's father, the true nature of the shadows, and indeed about those who kidnapped him...for later.

RedOptics

"Sounds like a plan," Keona said softly, simply just stroking the top of Ira's head, "Hey... what do we do once this is all over?" She asked, finally looking up at him. It was a genuine curiosity she withheld,being as this journey was going to take a while.

Ira yawned and stretched put across her lap, getting comfortable and settling down. Keona hummed softly, looking down, "I'm sorry I scared you Travis, but I'm glad you were the one to save me out of everyone else. I feel safe in your arms, you know."

Who wouldn't? Just because he was a demon didn't mean he was evil and out to kill everyone he laid his eyes on. Er, or so she assumed.

Wrathwyrm

"Do what I do.  Enjoy yourself."

He was actually serious about that, despite reasserting his laid-back self into things with a smile.  The best way to live your life after a very serious situation has been overcome is to take it easy and...well...live a little.  Life's too short, for most people.  Travis didn't even think he aged anymore.  He was honestly surprised he had an adult body when he took human form, because they could have kept him a wimpy little kid for all eternity.  Still...Travis took a seat nearby after Keona spoke next.

"I feel safe around you too.  I showed a crew of sailors my demon form today without explanation or warning, and I know that would freak anybody else out."

He glanced over at her with a smile.

"But not you.  You don't judge so quickly, which is good because I'm pretty sure the only things keeping them from being terrified of me is my attack of the snake and my concern for you when I came out of the water.  I'm glad I met you."

RedOptics

The tiger started to get restless and Keona finally let him down, "Go play, furball." She joked, then returned to Travis, "Hm, I guess I'm just worried about the fact that we will part one day. The fire can only last as long as its fuel source." He was a demon, meaning he had the choice to live indefinitely. However, she would surely burn out one day, and who knows, maybe she'll fight it that time.

"I was always told that an elemental can live forever in its elemental home... but I don't know if I can do that." Well, for one, she hadn't unlocked her full potential yet, and secondly, was an elemental usually made of whatever they are? She'd be hot. Literally. And possibly bright enough to provide a small town with all the light they needed. Light... the word sparked something, but she couldn't place anything on it, instead it only gave her an icepick of a headache.

Wrathwyrm

"I have no idea how it is for elementals.  I've never met one before now.  It's all been wizards and spellcrafters or otherworldly beings for me."

There are, in the world, those who could explain, but frankly he'd never thought about asking.  How was he to know that he would get deeply involved with an exotic fire elemental, anyway?  You just don't plan for these things.

"As for me, I'm living in a state of not worrying too much about the distant future.  I have no real idea what's going to happen to me.  I could be living in a perpetual state of going back to demonland when I die and having to dig my way out repeatedly, or I could be wherever I am as long as I want to.  As far as I know, being a demon sustains me because I was someone's eternal battlecharger.  I'm not gonna worry about the possible drawbacks there right now.  Don't worry about your own future, not when there's a shadowy curse to lift first."

RedOptics

Keona let his words sink in for a mokent, trying to come up with a countering statement but finally submitting with a sigh, "I guess you're right. All of the Yoreiqi people have lived similar lives, be birn, grow up... find a mate-or sevral-then die. Realizing that I won't have any of that is sort of a blow to me." She tried to smiled, but the corners of her mouth only twitched.

Glancing up at Travis was the best time for the nerves in her wing to suddenly reset, making her shiver before growl and shake it off, "The cold must still be getting to me.." Her clothes should be dry... well, at least the bottom portion. But that wasn't the case here as she turned to inspect the membranes.

Wrathwyrm

Keona's wing inspection would be interrupted by a leather coat over her shoulders, placed there from behind in a swift motion that she didn't see, but might've heard.

"I don't think that's true at all."

If she looked, she would find him with a knowing smile on his face.

"I think that it's the reverse, that of all Yoreiqi, you might be the most unique, and that that would turn alot of heads.  A guy could get jealous, especially one that's...of a demonic nature, say."

He's being a little more obvious, but also supportive at the same time.  Testing the waters, say.  He understood desire.  He'd seen it at its worst state.  He wanted to see if this was more-or-less at its best here.

RedOptics

Subconsciously pulling the jacket over her shoulder, she inhaled a warmth breath and smiled when seeing his own.

"You always know what to say," Keona said with a smaller voice, looking down, "You'd think I'd have known that, but I was isolated from everyone, so no one ever approached me." She knew what he was doing, but decided to let it linger in his mind the idea that she didn't get it.

"But now that I've interacted with people, I've finally understood that there is a man I want to stick to.." Keona looked down at Ira who stood against her leg, looking up at her with big eyes, "Okay, well two men."

Wrathwyrm

He knew what to say because he was being earnest, entirely sincere, and it happened to click.  The real winner here was his personality, that dichotomy of being a strong person with a chill attitude, and not being aloof or full of himself about it.  Sometimes, you find a person who can use their moxie responsibly.  Sometimes, it's alright to be cool.  And also...

"My god...  There's competition, already!"

...sometimes, it's the right time to be funny.  Travis was now reacting to her attention to Ira with mock shock.  He looked down at the tiger now.

"Alright, fella, step outside.  We'll settle this like men....mostly because I don't know how to settle it like small, adorable tigers."