Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Common Misconceptions (M)

Started by RedOptics, February 03, 2017, 06:37:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RedOptics

Lurching back, he stuck out his tongue in disgust at the taste of his blood. Ira growled jumping a few more times before the woman underneath started to wake.

The song wa stripped from her mind slowly, only echoed remained of the last sung note before the blurry image of the two focused. Taking in a deep breath, Keona loosened her grip and moved a hand to greet Ira.

"What do you want, little hunter?" She smiled, surprisingly feeling rather good. Ira sat down and patted his stomach, making Keona realize she was hungry as well. Sighing, she let go of Travis and swung her legs off the bed, forcing Ira back on the ground in the process of standing. The woman stopped to groan as something bothered her. Ah yes, the bruise from earlier. Before she did anything else, she took off the top she wore and simply dropped it to the floor.

"Ira.. you gotta stop with that behavior. It's not that hard to tear off a chunk of meat yourself..." Keona looked around. They had placed the carcass of the boar in a salt chest, and she opened it with ease before taking a knife supplied and shearing off a good piece before tossing it to the tiger and closing the box. Now she took the time to inspect her trunk, lightly running her fingers over the dented lines the outfit made and the bruise it covered up, flinching when some sensitive spots were touched.

Wrathwyrm

Well, you can't blame a feline for not feeling they can serve themselves, apart from just biting the hole of the thing.  No thumbs, you see.  Still, the Cajun Gumbo quality of Travis' blood should deter him from making a snake of the demon man.  He just wasn't that appetizing.  He was able to get up now because Keona didn't have him in a tight embrace anymore.  She was up annd about to feed the tiger, though...he noticed that she was sore.  Now, Travis wasn't a masseur, but as he knew about a thousand ways to inflict pain...he knew the human body well enough to know a few ways not to.  Keona would probably be rather surprised to find his hands carefully determining spots where she was hurt and then...applying gradual, comforting pressure that tended to be just a bit helpful, under the circumstances...usually.

"Better or worse, when I do this?"

RedOptics

A colder touch on a painful area caused Keona to flinch, but relaxed after she was used to it.

"It may sound odd... but your cooling touch feels rather nice on it..." She chuckled softly and began blushing to herself, hugging her chest as she tried not to focus on the pain. Sighing softly, she rested there for a moment, feeling content. Her wings ruffled and she heard the growl of her stomach. Great, what a way to ruin one of the best moments in her life.

"I think Ira was onto something with food..." Keo' groaned, reaching back to fix her hair by ruffing it out, loosening the tangles that developed from sleeping.

Wrathwyrm

"You're right, that does sound odd.  But if it works, it works."

Yeah, it was nice...and it was interrupted by Lord Stomach of Digestion.  Poor timing, M'lord.  If you could've waited just a little while...  Sadly, that wasn't really going to happen.  Travis did his usual routine of making his own hair wild a bit.

"Yeah, he's got a point.  Let's go get some."

To the mess hall, where people are eating and drinking and frankly getting a little more drunk than usual to fight off the stigma of the day.

RedOptics

Keona grumbled softly to herself before dressing again and standing. The mess hall wasn't exactly the place she particularly liked to eat due to the fact it was crawling with men who smelled of fish and sweat. The thought made her shudder, and it felt even worse when they laid there eyes on her.

"Salty beef and... rice?" She looked at the mush, poking it with a fork before shaking her head, "If the shadows don't kill me this food certainly will.'" Keona joked, managing to cut off a piece of meat to try.

Wrathwyrm

The quartermaster, being present for the distribution of meals, shrugged at this and said...

"It's actually not bad.  The rice offset the beef so it doesn't seem all that salty at all."

It would be better if the cook hadn't left the rice in a bit long.  That's why it's softer than normal.  Travis reacted to the food in a so-so manner.  Keona, being hungry enough, might not care that much.

"We'll reach port tomorrow.  Here's hopin' there's no serpents of evil waitin' for us."

Nearly everyone in the room was a "Here, here." to that.

"What do they have to Essyrn from there?  Caravans?"

"Pretty much.  I suggest you sign up as a guard, in case of snakery in the night."

"Good call."

RedOptics

"Whatever happens, we can handle it." Keona said, feeling whatever was in her mouth char before being swallowed. She seemed rather bored, but was only tired. Heh, a little flame being exhausted. The water had changed her there was no doubt, for she felt different, literally. Her skin wasn't void of natural oils as it used to be, now it was glossier in places if the light hit the right way. The only soundside was the fact it literally looked like she was steaming if you stared long enough. The streams were short, and could be felt if you hovered your hand over her skin.

She managed to gulp down the rest of the questionable food she was eating, trying not to shudder until all she tasted was the constant burning sensation of her flesh, "That was... certainly a meal." Indigestion was sure to visit her soon.

Wrathwyrm

"Yeah, don't worry about us.  You guys make sure your ship is ship-shape."

Well, thank ya kindly, Cap'n Travis!  Oi, Travis?  What was that peculiar sheen of the lady's skin, exactly, that hadn't been there before?  Yeah, he noticed, but uhh...well, Travis was no expert on what human bodies did, so he couldn't really figure it anymore than any of the crew who noticed could.  Let's just face it: Education in hell is a total washout.

Now, the food was not horrible, but it did leave something to be desired.  It didn't help that Garlock was in the corner, munching on a fish he'd caught.  Nobody questioned this, exactly, but when you think about it...it was impossible for a normal cat to do, so naturally they all assumed that somebody else had caught it for him.  Naturally.  Keona, in the meantime, was going to have to visit the head, as some point.

"I think I heard your stomach sounding off from here."

RedOptics

"Ugh, yeah, I'm fine. Just a little unsettling. I have a strong stomach anyways," Keona grumbled softly, "I think I'm just gonna go and lie down then." She got up but hovered there for a moment, clearly not in the best shape, "On second thought..."

Turning to hurriedly walk out, she quickly turned to the damaged railing and threw whatever she ate over into the sea. Watching a beautiful woman throw up the contents of her stomach wasn't exactly the prettiest of sights, especially when all she threw up was black fluids and charcoal. It was not a pleasant feeling either. For now she simply collapsed onto the wood, trying to gain her bearings before trying to stand.

Keona was not used to this food at all, and salt was definitely not something she could easily digest.

Wrathwyrm

Okay, he hadn't really expected that.  Rather, if she was going to feel sick, he would've thought that it was going to happen a long time ago, but...apparently not.  Here's what really shocked him: It was black.  It was almost like she was hurling blackened essence of something evil and horrible.  The fact that he didn't sense anything like that REALLY threw him off.  He came up behind Keona, a little concerned now.

"Are you alright?  What happened?  Why was it black?"

RedOptics

She didn't say anything before she convulsed and let another smaller batch loose into the sea, infecting the blue with the dark shade of digestive juices.

"It's black... because it's charred, love. If you were to cut open my stomach, you'd see nothing but a disgusting shade of black, touching it is like touching charcoal, and the smell is just..." Okay, Keona, I think he gets it.

"Fucking hell, I'm used to fruits and unseasoned meat... I can't eat this stuff..." Keona moaned quietly, looking delirious as she tried to focus on him. She pulled her hair back, thankful that none of it was trapped in the brown fibres, "I may as well just eat the raw beef in the cabin... at least that isn't poisoned." Visibly shaking, she tried to stand with a straight face and placed a hand over her belly.

At least she felt better.

Wrathwyrm

No idea.  He had no idea that it could be like this for her.  Food entering her mouth had the potential to be cooked by her own body before it was digested.  Granted, lots of people had trouble eating new and different foods that their body was not use to, but this was an extra layer of problem.  Keona couldn't take the treated meat.  She might not be able to handle alot of different foods.  Things get pretty exotic, in places, after all.  Travis put his hands on her shoulders.

"I'm gonna get you some fruit for when you feel you can eat again."

Right now, her stomach was going to be on the rebound a while.  Until Keona had a bit of a relax and she found her stomach going 'Yuuurrrp...', it was a total write-off.

RedOptics

"Fruit?" Her eyes lit up a ton, lighting the small area a little with the amber colour. She couldn't think of living off the salty meat and mushy rice for much longer than they already have. If she didn't feel so sick, she would have tackled him to the ground in a hug. Fruit was gold to her race, in a sense.

The woman carefully pushed past his grip, and turned to the sea, "You know... despite my fear of water... The ocean is quite beautiful." She said, staring at the hints of orange, and the pink clouds in the sky. The light hit her glistening skin as the breeze brushed back her hair, and finally, she was content.

There was something about knowing that there was more beyond her little isles, more people, more races, more... more.

Wrathwyrm

Fortunately, salty meat was more-or-less what sailors use because of issues with preservation on long journeys and all that.  It was good to know, though, that there was some hope for Keona's stomach, though.  For now, at least, she was at ease, admiring the ocean before them.  Travis took to leaning on the rail with both arms and looking it over, his wings stretching for a moment before going limp.

"Eh, it's alright.  I've kinda' taken it for granted, in a way.  When I look at something, what I like to know is...'Will it be fun?'."

He smiled at her.

"I don't ask that all the time.  Sometimes, I just do things.  Because they have to be or because I want them to be.  But when it's not important, I ask it.  I guess the ocean's more fun when it doesn't hurt you, huh?"

RedOptics

"Mh," She hummed in response as the light faded away, "I think Essyrn will be more fun. I don't know about you, but something about the way my people described deserts... kind of made me giddy. I guess it was because it was hot and dry and perfect for practicing my flame, but maybe it was because it was a new place...."

Keona explained, letting whatever hidden message fly right over her head.

"Of course with those... things... going around, I feel I should be scared, but remarkably I'm not. The adrenaline gives me a power boost, and I realized I could do more than I thought." The only thing she did not know yet, was that she was quite literally made of fire, but only took on the appearance of Yoreiq because she was hiding from it.

Wrathwyrm

"Well, the desert's a big place, so you'll have plenty of chance to explore what you can really do without harm."

She'd have to exercise alot more restraint, of course, inside Essyrn limits.  The laws there are very specific about certain things.  Using destructive magic is a crime, and how they define that will depend on what's going on at the time.  They may be lenient over matters of self-defense...against a large snake demon...but they may not care, either.  Travis would certainly keep a careful eye on things.  He never went demon, the last time he was there.  He wasn't sure exactly how well that would be received.  Essyrn was a different place, a different people, from that of this Serenian boat.  He glanced back at Keona now.

"So, tell me what you've heard.  I can fill in some gaps, get you up to speed on things."

This would at least pass the time until her stomach was ready again.

RedOptics

Keona knew very well that using her powers for negative purposes was frowned upon, and therefore tried to find desolate places to practice just in case.

"I know it's a desert with few villages and such. The people aren't as open as we are, due to ancient ideals. They neutral towards magic and such... They didn't tall me much about it, and the tradespeople were very secretive about it."

She felt the temperature drop suddenly as there was no light left on the horizon, and her wings instinctively tucked in to hold the warmth of her body against her skin, "May we go inside...?" Keona asked, rubbing her arms.

Wrathwyrm

"You don't have to ask me.  Sure."

He pushed off from he railing and headed inside with her, talking about Essyrn.

"They don't have many villages, more like a few outlying places on the oasis or near the river.  However, at the center of it all, that's the real Essyrn."

Now, he began to make gestures indicating scale.

"Huge city, made of stone or dried mud and wood where they can get it.  I dunno why they wouldn't tell you about.  Essyrn is a place of business and trade.  There is so much obsession with money and trade that whoever owns this boat has to do alot of footwork to keep up."

But given the size and state of the boat, he must be rather successful in Serendipity, at least.  They were now officially inside and geting to the room, where no doubt there was a tiger sprawled out on the bed.  Travis was surprised the black cat wasn't there.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Actually, he was in the captain's personal quarters, batting at the captain's personal quiver as the captain wrote in the captain's personal log.  Every now and then, the captain would push him away, saying "Stop that.", but alas...the cat would return to sit on the papers.

Silly human.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Back to Travis and Keona in the room.

"There IS one thing that I think is going to bother you about Essyrn, maybe two things.  The first is that women aren't seen as equals there.  Probably not rude about it, mostly, but something'll slip out and...well...try not to remove their eyebrows for it."

Yup, there's a funny mental image for ya.  Keona making just the eyebrows go fwoomph!

"The other thing is...there's varying levels of slavery on the mainland.  In Serendipity, it's more like indentured servitude because you have to work yourself free from some kinda' debt, but in Essyrn...people can be owned, and the law says that it's fine.  It's how they think.  They think anything can be owned."

RedOptics

Keona paid attention with her bright eyes, enticed in the images of what she expected the place to look like. She was like a child when the Shamans told stories of the spirits. But then came the downsides,

"That doesn't sound like a good place then... on Yoreiq there's no difference between us. We're all seen as the same." The woman explained with a soft voice. It looked like she was already reconsidering as she sat down on the bed, "No matter. It's Serendipity we want to go to. I don't plan on staying in Essyrn for more than two weeks I guess." She shrugged, returning to her happy state.

Wrathwyrm

"I don't blame you.  The life I've led as a demon has pretty much destroyed my ability to judge people too harshly.  They're just people.  It's more what they DO that separates them from everyone else."

It's a little hard to get that home country feeling or division anyway, when you don't even know where exactly you come from, so demon or not, Travis couldn't judge based on his origin point, to begin with.  It made the whole exercise massively moot.  He really cared more about what the people of Essyrn DO than what they are, but they didn't see things that way.  Oh well.

"Essyrn isn't very large, so if your father's not there, we'll know pretty quick.  I mean, you've seen Essyrn people, right?  They look way different from him, so we'll know."

A pale face in a crowd of tanned-to-dark-skinned people?  Yeah, that's a giveaway, right there.  Travis sat down on the bed near her.

"We'll take care of business there and get going with someone Adela-bound.  From there, I think you can get someone to dragon-ride you over the mountains, but don't quote me there.  I always flew myself."