Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Deliverance (closed rp, pm first)

Started by Hiya, February 04, 2017, 07:36:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hiya

The grass was silent under her feet, still wet with the morning dew. Making her way north, she saw the mountains rising into the sky, their high peaks shrouded by clouds. With every step she felt the valley's chill, the common ground between the tundra and the forest below more acutely. It was all she could do to be grateful that it was not any colder, in this valley that she could never escape.

In her dreams she knew what waited beyond those mountains. Dreams of brave travelers who sought to learn of the world outside their valley, to seek food and good land for them to settle, and people to settle with. Yet not one would ever return, of the dozens that set out over time... for in Wilhelmina's grim dreams, there was no one to be found. No beautiful lands to discover. Nothing but the cold wastes and the death that awaited them all. A fate she imagined was met by all who left these hands to pursue such a dream.

The Dame's soft, quiet steps came to a stop.

Wilhelmina knelt, heedless of the dirt and moist grass that stained her dress. Her cape rested heavily on her frame, draped over most of her body from the shoulders down. The sun's shape was long hidden behind the mountains, casting eerie shadows across the valley. Far behind her she knew they played across the corpses in the grass, still warm from a fight that had ended scarcely hours ago.  Initially she had come to speak over the graves... a but tune she knew came out instead.

"Oh mother, I'm scared to die.... Where, where do my good deeds lie?
Oh father, I'm scared to live.... Takes more than I've got to give.
Oh sister, my voice is weak.... Oh brother, I long for sleep.
Oh hunger, I know you well.... My cruel friend is a funeral bell."

There had been another raid earlier that morning, not unlike the attack that had taken her mother's life. Behind her she heard the sound of feet, of clothing and bodies being roused as the dead were taken away.

"And it rings in the day and it rings in the evening.
Oh, I could pray but it won't stop you leaving.
Shadow in black, you are grim from your reaping.
Oh, can't you spare just a day for the weeping?
Oh, can't you spare..."

A haunting silence filled the air, disturbed only by the rustling of her clothes as her delicate shoulders shook. Quiet, gasping sobs eluded her efforts to stifle them. Her mother was no longer there to comfort her, and her father lay dying somewhere in the black walls of the castle behind her, grieving for his people and dead wife as she did for her brothers and mother.

It did not take long for her sobs to subside. By now... it was an art that the entirety of her people would be well-versed in. Kneeling in the grass, still wet with dew, she was alone; there was no one to plead for an answer from, no one to tell her how many times the marauders had come for them and how long it would take for them to finish their bloody work.

The only one who would was somewhere in that great black shadow on the mountain, the castle which was their home and would, some day soon, be their grave.

ooc: This story was co-written with Ricther. Song lyrics from "Funeral Bells" by Phildel

Richter

The dame was left to her mourning, for a brief time. But eventually someone would disturb her, familiar steps on the wet grass, and the faintest hint of a shadow standing over her right shoulder.

"...It's going to be cold out soon," came a young woman's voice in softer tones, "we should be heading back."

Despite her own words, the woman sat down at Wilhelmina's side, one leg outstretched and the other bent, holding up her elbow as she turned to the Dame. Side by side, they came from different worlds, one of elegant dresses and well-made capes, and the other with work-worn trousers, tunics, boots and gloves with only the vaguest hint of blue, and a stout club looped into the cord that circled her waist.

Adalsinda was her name, and for the moment she was the only other person in the world, side by side with Wilhelmina. Her skin was only slightly darker, and her eyes were a brilliant green to Mina's blue. Though her hair was cut short and tied loosely in the back, it was a similar shade of brown. Such traits lent her a peculiar sort of look, one that told of youth, of optimism, innocence even along with a vibrant and cheery voice- at least, it had at one point.

Now, her voice had become much quieter. Rough from the screams she'd issued, of pain or anger one could hardly tell. Her eyes were sunken, her cheeks gaunt and hollow, not unlike the rest of her caste. What had been a somewhat broader, stronger build for a local woman had become a thin, frail frame littered with bruises beneath her garments. Until recently she had avoided such ailments, but now, no one was immune to despair... not even bright, joyful Adalsinda.

For her part, the laborer had little more to say to the Dame. There was hardly anything she could say, not anymore. All she could do was offer her presence, and so she did, reaching around Mina's frame and clasping her left shoulder to pull her close, in a strange sort of hug.

"...He's still there."

She turned to look at Wilhelmina and choked on whatever she was going to say next, taking a slow breath in order to try again.

"He, ah... it might do him good to see you, Mina."

Hiya

"I would, but I've no strength for it, Sinda."
Of the few remaining, Adalsinda was the only who saw doubt in the Dame's eyes. Even though she could not see her face now, the younger woman would feel her slumped shoulders. Her kind voice had lost its warmth. 

"There's hardly anyone left, anymore. Soon they'll all be-"

Abruptly, she fell silent. It took a moment to let the images subside. However, that did not stop the the sound of bodies being shifted about behind them. It was hardly something she wanted to see again. Resting her head again on Adalsinda's shoulder, Mina looked forward once more to the headstone that had been laid a year before the raiders came.

"Mother never got to see this. For that, I'm grateful... "

She took a shuddering breath and continued, "I hope to offer a proper burial for the rest of them, instead of some... mountain of death."

Her eyes flicked to the tower of wooden coffins. There were dozens of them, too many to count and far too many to try and bury. The most peace they could offer anymore was a box and a prayer, though to what gods, no one would care to say. By now, it was obvious that they were not listening, anyways.

For the hundredth time, she wondered if there would ever be a chance to bury them, or if they would all perish before that day came.

"...Perhaps you're right. I should see him, while he is.... While we still have time," Mina said, straightening herself to look at her companion.

ooc: This story was with Ricther.

Richter

"Don't say it like that," the commoner said quickly as she jostled the dame's shoulders, "it makes it sound like you've given up."

She made a brave effort at a reassuring smile, though on her haggard face it was anything but. No words of profound comfort came to her, and so instead she fell to silence once again. As Wilhelmina continued and her eyes fell to the coffins, her companion followed suit, and seemed to deflate.

"...Don't think about it too much," she mumbled, though whether the words were meant for herself or for Mina was anyone's guess.

Despite those efforts to reassure her friend, Sinda could not help but share in her grief. Again words failed her, failed to dispell the weight of the dread that they both felt.

Green eyes flicked to the headstone before them. "I think she would be proud of you, for carrying on like you have. I know Balderich is." she offered meekly.

Another long pause punctuated their conversation before Adalsinda started anew, "We will bury them, one day, Mina. I know we will. We've just got to... hold on until then."

The commoner stood, and turned to face her friend, reaching down and offering her hand to pull Wilhelmina to her feet.

Tags: