Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

One, All, Together (any are welcome)

Started by Sir Voltz, February 12, 2017, 10:31:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir Voltz

There were smiles and silent gestures at the table as everyone sat for the evening meal, but little to divide the family of five as they waited for the dinner rite to begin. Once the plates, bowls, and glasses were ready, each took a hand into their own and said in unison words that all but lost its meaning except to them: "Ozei, Alcrek, Tomal." Twice more they chanted before taking a seat. Alexis smiled as she started first, but with word over a bite.

"So how was everyone's day?" Her smile of content turned into a glow of excitement, and since this was the time for the family to share their day with everyone else, why not? She did after all have much to add.

"We may have some projects up north, a contract is open and I've come recommended by a few mages settled there." This came from her father, J'iar, from the head seat of the table. Her mother gave a worried glance at first to which he replied with an understanding. "I know it is not like us to wander too far from home, but this would pull even more customers in the long run if we are successful. As village dwellers, our business is a blossom, but how much more could we leave behind for our future families if we establish positive connections elsewhere." He said this as a rhetoric, knowing that it made sense, as he considered all the negative possibilities when offered the contract. "What say you, Ramus?" Alexis turned to her brother, as the others.

"Are you inviting me to join you?" To his his father nodded with a smile. "I say yes, of course. I can ready by the 'morrow!"

"No need in that, son. We have much to discuss on the upcoming months and you should be at my side, to hear the details yourself. We set off in a week."

"Since that is settled, I would like to say we had a handful of newcomers arrive today. Much different than our typical customers, but paid well and spent much admiration for our little projects." This came from the mother, smiling with the fortunate news. New customers looking for them meant that their reputation held sound.

"One was a warrior!" Alexis blurted out. "Held a massive sword! Heavier than anything I've ever seen. I amended it like a champion." She felt proud and perhaps a little smug too.

"I think she's captivated by how alien this particular customer was, because she also made another advance in alchemy today as well."

"Oh, I did! I forgot. I, uh, I found a solution that has intense acidic effects on material, but not skin. I can probably add a few other older ingredients to seal it as a containable liquid. If we can pick what material it eats and what it doesn't, it can make things much easier to dwindle without deconstructing projects."

"How would we utilize a liquid? A tool is much preferred."

"I can infuse it in a tool, once I fix the solution. I think." She did not tell it all however. A plan also included to make a container that could expel said liquid in a linear fashion, a spray, which would probably use more solution than required but also save time and energy, allowing a worker to utilize additional time to prepare other aspects of whatever projects present.

The night continued like this for a few hours at least. This small, simple ritual of a family dinner and event sharing meant a great deal to the Stonecutter family. In fact, it meant everything. All could collapse for them and yet the most important presence is the unity of family. Tonight brought grand news for them, if not a little anxious. Both men of the family would leave soon to the north for work, leaving two sisters and their mother, and even that was short as the sister still had obligations for a new settlement elsewhere. Alexis thought much of the day and the warrior she meant. Such a direct man, large, and no doubt fearsome in battle and equipped with a keen sense of direction. Perhaps she should learn how to use weapons better than she did now. She'd practice in the upcoming days as the family readied for a new chapter.

Tags: