Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Within the Snow

Started by WallyD, February 19, 2017, 06:43:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WallyD

Asta sifted through the snow, her face had no feeling as the cold wind whipped around her. She was heading towards one of her traps she had laid out earlier that day. She had been having bad luck all day, though the last one did have a small rabbit, which was now hanging off her shoulder. Asta can already hear the grunt of her father when he see's what she had caught. She sighed and headed up a snowy hill, only to groan as she reached the top. The trap at the bottom was empty, though the bait inside was gone. Asta jogged down and started to reset the trap, opening a pouch with bait inside.

excitement

(I'm new so if I'm doing anything wrong just let me know and I'll fix it)
Shageon peers at her from the snow covered bushes, his hands deep in his pockets to keep them warm. He's a hunter by trade, but it's a harsh winter and he was fast running out of food and supplies. He had stumbled across this trap the other day and had quickly seen how useful they could be but try as he might, he could not replicate it. In the past, he has only hunted using his bow. When he heard someone walking up the hill, he ran to take cover in the bushes, forgetting to replace the bait in the trap.

WallyD

Asta stood up, huffing. If one was not used to the cold tundra, they might have tried and spend their time looking for tracks but Asta knew that it's been snowing and the wind is blowing, so any tracks were long gone.

Asta looked around, making sure there was no other life. She really did not want to go home with only a rabbit. She sighed, imaging her father's face as his friends laughed at her. Many of the men there don't think Asta is capable to do the things the men do. It's common knowledge that men do most of the hunting and fighting. But Asta is her father's only child and with no mother to raise her, he would have to.

Asta turned around and started back up the hill, looking around one last time for any other life. As she turned her back to the trap, she heard something moving within the bushes. She stopped and pulled out her hunters knife, ready for whatever came .

[OOC: Naw dude, your doing good so far. If you have any questions, I might be able to help you. All you have to do is PM me and I'll answer as soon as possible.]

excitement

Shageon freezes when he hears the noise. For a few seconds, the snowfall creates a deafening silence until out of the bushes runs a rabbit. Shageon rushes through the bushes, scaring the rabbit towards the girl, and readies his bow. When he breaks free, he aims his bow at the rabbit, about to release the arrow.

WallyD

Asta smiles as a snowy rabbit hops out of the bush. Asta raises her knife, ready to cut down the rabbit. And stops.

The rabbit was running towards her, to danger, meaning something scared it more, making it run this way. Asta immediately crouches, looking across the snow. The rabbit eventually sees Asta and quickly darts to the right, heading to the other side of the snowy hill.

Asta rasies her knife again and throws it at the rabbit, she's not going to let it get away, no matter else is out there.

excitement

Shageon fires his arrow, piercing the rabbit at the same time as the knife pierces another part of the rabbit. It flops on the snow and blood spills across the white snow. Shageon goes to pick it up, not grabbing an arrow but not putting his bow away. "So uhhh... is this your rabbit or mine?" he asks the girl, not greeting her and obviously awkward and unpracticed at talking to people. His eyes dart from her to the rabbit, as if not knowing it is rude to stare
(I edited it so it wasn't so short)

WallyD

Asta watched as an arrow shot out and hit the rabbit. She turned and watch as a man stepped forward, and walked over to the rabbit. He kept avoiding her eyes as he spoke.

Asta stood up straight and walked over to the rabbit. She watches him as she got closer. She reached out and grabbed her knife.

"Yours." She said flatly, not putting her knife away just yet. She didn't want to disappoint her father but the man did technically find the rabbit first.

excitement

"Thanks." He picks up the rabbit and gingerly pulls out the arrow "nice throw...." he says while inspecting the wound the knife made "I... believe this is your's..." he takes the bait from her trap and offers it to her, not offering anymore explanation

WallyD

Asta took the bait, looking at her rest trap. This guy took it, what the hell for. Asta turned back to him, putting her bait into her pouch. She took a step back, sheathing the hunters knife.

"Thank you. My father taught me." She said, still watching his every move.

excitement

"um, how hard was it to learn?" he pauses for a second and puts one of his hands in his pockets, a little nervous "Would you be able to teach me?" he glances up at her, then quickly glances back to the rabbit "I've built... well.... I haven't built much but I'm... " he thinks for a second, wracking his brains for something he can brag about "motivated... to learn..."

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

WallyD

Asta blinked. He wanted to learn. Asta breathes in and looked back at her trap. She let the air back out, sighing.

"I can give out pointers but if you really want to learn then you'll have to pay. We York's are really good at what we do, we don't just let people learn for free." Asta said looking back at the man. The air was still cold and soon the sun would set. Day light here is short and walking in the dark is a pain.

excitement

Shageon looks back at the trap, calculating how much it's worth. "How about... this rabbit? I don't really know how effective traps are nor how hard it is to learn so I don't know what a good price would be... I'm definitely going to want more than pointers." Shageon glances at the setting sun as well, grateful that he set his camp close by so he wouldn't have to spend forever walking to it.

WallyD

"The rabbit will do for most of the price. Come, you'll have to discuss more with father. He will be waiting for me and we shall not disappoint." Asta said nodding and started up the hill, not looking if the man was following.

She would have to check the traps again tomorrow, if there was nothing again tomorrow than she'll have to take it down and move on.

excitement

"My camp is this way about half a kilometer... " he runs to catch up to her and points in a direction to the left of their original path "you could come with me or just let me know how to find your house..."  he blinks at the rabbit and tries to hand it to her

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WallyD

Asta paused and looks at where he pointed. It'll take some time and they two of them would probably would make it back to the camp after dark.

"Lead the way." She said, grabbing the rabbit.

excitement

Shageon nods and walks in the direction indicated. He looks at the sun's position and asks "excuse my asking, but how fit are you? We may want to run in order to not get lost in the dark." He puts his bow away and stuffs that hand in his pocket as well to warm it up

WallyD

Asta shakes her head.
"It is better to walk at a pace. If we were to run, the snow would slow us down, making us lose more energy. It'll get colder soon as the sun sets, you'll need the extra energy to keep on moving or you'll freeze to death." She said following the ma.

excitement

"We would still be faster than walking and I've got plenty of en- " he remembers from somewhere people don't like people who argue and shuts up, hoping she doesn't mind "Anyways..." he says trying to think of a topic to talk about "what... is your name?"

WallyD

"I am Asta York, daughter of Fredrick York. Trapper and fur trader. Me and my tribe are one of the few and last who still venture deep within the snow, many of my people are known for their skills, the York line being one of them." She looked up at the man. "And you?"

excitement

"I am Shageon. Orphan of Shageon Senior. Hunter and.... er hunter and.... fisher. Me and my tribe... well I don't really have a tribe anymore... me and my grandpa just kinda wandered around... " at first he sticks with her format of introduction but he awkwardly loses confidence as the introduction continues until he mumbles the last bit out then he waits a second and remembers something his grandpa taught him to say "nice of you to meet... no nice to meet you" he brightens a bit when he remembers the saying correctly

Tags: