Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

The Hot Place (Dial M For Mature)

Started by Wrathwyrm, March 15, 2017, 12:33:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wrathwyrm

Well, he certainly hoped it was.  The question was...why didn't Keona believe that applied to her?  It seemed like she was worried that something - we don't know what - was going to happen that would make any aspect of her life leading up to that point invalid.  But...why?  Something she knew, or just some instinct worrying her?  At the moment, she appeared to be relaxing, though Travis had the feeling that that was only the exterior.  Inside, he still felt there was something bothering her.  Go figure that she'd voice it, or at least something OF it, soon after taking a lie-down.

She wondered if, one day, they would take different paths, if they would leave each other.  The question was harder than it sounded.  The truth was that neither of them could know the future.  They sought out her father in relation to these shadow things, hopefully to do something about them, and definitely because Keona wanted to see him.  What would happen in reality, though...they had no idea.  Travis gave this some thought as he lay back, himself, staring up at the sky.

"I think...the only real answer is 'not unless we want to'.  That's pretty much a 'No', right there.  I certainly don't want to, and I'm pretty sure you're thinking the same, so don't worry about it."

RedOptics

The sky slowly turned darker at the edges, fading into oranges, then dark, dark indigos. Stars would begin to fade in in time, and the desert began to grow cold. She shivered lightly before moving a hand to his forearm and turning onto her side to look at him, close enough to feel her breath.

"Travis, do you ever even think of the future?" Of course the way she said it was completely calm, no sign of curiosity or confusion. It was a genuine question, no hint of sarcasm.

She never thought about the future. She figured that she would die one die, but didn't care. Keona saw no future once the flame of her powers reached her mind.

Wrathwyrm

The sky was growing dimmer, and as it did, it was affected by the reflections that came off of the glass below it.  Travis was watching this before he felt Keona take hold of his arm as she looked at him.  She had a question on her mind, and she was asking him in all seriousness about it.  He didn't need any pause for that one, though.  Travis turned so that he was lying in a similar fashion to Keona now, so that he was facing her.

"Sometimes, yeah.  I think about the future because of what happened in the past.  I think about what I might've been like if I'd never become a demon, and then I wonder if I can still do those things, even though I am one.  It's like...some people will care what I am, and some will not.  The more that don't, the more I can do with myself."

He paused to let that sink in, then decided to broach the subject that he assumed this was leading up to.

"Tell me what's bothering you, Keona.  You look like you've been thinking about your future and not liking what you see."

He was being serious, but had on a small smile to show that he would help her out.

RedOptics

"I'm a worrier, Travis, you no doubt know that by now. I worry so much that I'll die because of it in the future. If I don't manage to get killed by anything, the worry will put me out of my misery. I'm worried that I'll live to see everyone I ever cared about die in front of me. Or worse, die and I won't know about it, then I'll be chasing an endless dream of seeing them again." Pausing to take a breath, Keona looked down, through the glass and onto the ground. The darkness swept over the land quite easily, setting an entirely different mood. Shifting a little, her feathers alighted at the corners, creating a soft, candle-like glow, creating a bit of warmth.

"I worry... that I won't make it to find happiness. And that happiness I know now comes from the both of you..."

Wrathwyrm

Yes, he did know.  He didn't always know what it was that was on her mind, but the fact that she had concerns was very much apparent.  The night began to spread as she emptied those concerns out before him, showing all of her cards on the matter.  While she did feel happy around him and Ira, Keona felt that her own happiness - that certain feeling of ease with the world in what she was doing at the time - was something she might never achieve.  Travis looked serious as he spoke next.

"Listen to me, Keona.  There is an answer to these shaow things, and there is a resolution to be had in finding your father.  These are the great mysteries of your life.  Once they are dealt with, you could do anything.  You'll have nothing to threaten you, to make you question yourself, because you'll know.  With that freedom to move on, you can find happiness."

Then, he smiled at her.

"'Course, we'll be there for that.  I'd like to see him true happiness.  I think it'd be just as astounding looking at this place."

RedOptics

She would tear up at this point if the heat of her body was lower. Keona hugged him, stuffing her face in his collar for a good while. Her hugs were strong, and hot depending on what emotion had gone through her head. Ira perked up a little, and slithered over to her side, melting over her waist to attempt to help.

The day had gone by now, and night settled in for a few more hours. Keona felt the cold and shivered, beginning to pull away from Travis.

Wrathwyrm

Sometimes, there are no words.  You see or hear or feel something...and there are no words.  There are plenty of situations in which this can happen to you, and some where...you're actually the one on the receiving end.  Keona reached out and hugged him tightly.  Apparently, there were no words.  Travis didn't want her to worry about the future or her happiness.  If there was anything to be concerned about, it was the now.  The present, which held the attack of snake demons when they least expect it, was far more pressing than 'What will I do when it's over?'.  After a while, Keona started to pull away...

"Might wanna stay close for tonight.  Gettin' kinda' cold up here."

That's true...  Well, there wouldn't be any problem with that, right?

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Hours pass, and I think we can all agree that the coming dawn in your face while on top of a glass mesa is going to wake anybody up.  It's also going to be that the glass will lens-focus a number of the rays throughout the day to cause a few molten changes in the Seraj Isa.

RedOptics

She did as told, and eventually slept peacefully in the man's arms just for the night, having an odd lightless dream for once in a while.

As for morning, that was when the sun beckoned her to wake up once it reached her face. The woman opened her eyes and looked around for a moment, not wanting to leave the comfort that was the demon beside her, but knew that it would end regardless. She looked down and nearly freaked out before she remembered how she had arrived here, but there was something different. A different sound. The sound of heavy popping and shards moving.

Wrathwyrm

Deserts were often cold at night.  Even with as much heat-retention as this place had, you couldn't get around everything and Travis knew that.  So, one pleasant sleep later, morning came to the sounds of...there were sounds?  He hadn't expected that, but the morning sun was indeed condensing on this place, especially where it seemed to amplify the light like some kind of invisible heat rays.  The effect was...surprising.  Well then...it's actually a good thing they weren't down there...  Travis held up the pack containing their provisions.  They hadn't exactly dipped heavily into it, so it was still plentiful enough.

"Some breakfast before we take off?"

RedOptics

"Morning," She said softly, smiling at him. Keona patted the little tiger on the head and he opened his eyes with a yawn. Ira stretched and shook out his matted fur, cuddling up against the woman.

"I'd love some," The woman took a bit of food for herself, an apple and a pear, and ate them both. She took out a slab of meat for the tiger, and he nibbled on the piece with delight.

"Game plan for today?" Shaking her wings a little, Keona would look up at Travis, glancing at their surroundings.

Wrathwyrm

He got out some food for himself as she asked him.

"The game plan?  Well, once we're out of here, we have plains, a mountain, and some forest to get over before reaching Ketra.  The plains have nomads, the mountains have dragons, and the forest has all manner of beasts, if I hear it right."

Yyyyup, it was no picnic, any of these places, but they were pretty much considered to be Adela proper.  The main issue that Travis figured they'd have is with the Thunderbacks and the dragons therein.  They might get territorial on them.  Some dragons were instinct-driven creatures, while others were more intelligent than human beings.  It would be hard to pick out which was which, and even harder to figure out whether that helps them out or not.  For dragons are a morality unto themselves.  They do not always think as we do, and that's a problem.

RedOptics

"Is there something to worry about?" Keona asked, tilting her head a little. The wind began to hit them with sand again, not as hard as it would have been on the surface, but it most definitely would be felt.

The woman took on final look around, admiring the crystal structures that weren't buffeted by the wind. "I just kind of want to get out of here... Despite loving the heat, I don't feel welcome." She sighed, looking down at the ground far below.

Finishing his slab, Ira licked his muzzle and whiskers of the left over juices before rubbing up against the woman, purring quite audibly. She placed a hand on his head to gently pat him.

Wrathwyrm

Travis nodded at her question.

"I'm just worried about the dragons.  They may not appreciate our presece in the mountains."

With Keona's affirmation that she wanted to leave here, he said "Let's go, then.", and spread his wings.  They had a significant height advantage for catching an breeze and would easily be able to fly along.  From here, it would likely be Onward To Adela!

[OOC: I think we're done in this region.  Will you be starting the next one?]

RedOptics

[OOC: Yes, I'll get right on that.]

Keona nodded in confirmation, picking the little feline beside her to hug him to her chest. He purred as he settled in the warmth she offered as she stood, hesitating before rolling the joints of her wings to prepare for the flight.

"Well, here goes nothing." She sighed softly, before opening her wings and pushing herself forward, a short fall to gain some momentum. They were leaving this hostile desert for something else, with new dangers and people.

Tags: