Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

It's time for another Good Idea/Bad Idea! [M] [Aeyt!]

Started by Rhindeer, April 21, 2017, 07:42:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rhindeer

Rit was unnaturally good at games.

How did he know all the tricks?

Song knew a few of the tricks, knew how hard it was for the layman to win; in fact, it was only a few years since she had run one such game stall, having run with a crowd of travelers, people who lived on the fringes of society but who weren't Untouchables. They had taught her their scam, and for a while she'd enjoyed it. But it wasn't the most lucrative job. It was seasonal, and thus unreliable, but it had paid for some things on the side while she'd kept up her own con schemes. She even recognized some of the people who were still in the business, who flashed her surprised looks when they saw her arm in arm with a man, but she just held a finger to her lips and shook her head.

No, she hadn't turned over a new leaf. She had just found a new game to play.

Nevertheless, she was thoroughly surprised at either this man's luck or skill, she couldn't tell which, but perhaps he had cheated? He did have magic of some sort...or was he just smart enough to figure out the game? Either way, soon enough she was carrying piles of stuff, a new crystal pendant around her neck, some gaudy rings, a silk flower tucked behind her ear, and...fish and frogs and even some sort of strange lizard in little containers perforated with holes so they got air. Those were the most curious of her prizes. She wasn't really an...animal person.

The fish, at least, was pretty she supposed, a brilliant mix of emerald and blue and red. She didn't know what she was supposed to do with any of them, though.

Oh well!

Smiling up at Rit as she balanced her winnings, she nudged him playfully. "Bring many girls here?" she asked, voice teasing. "Because it seems you've had a lot of practice."
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

Aeytrious

"You don't need practice when you can just choose to win," Rit said, and flashed Song a conspiratorial grin. "And no, I don't bring all the girls here. Just the ones I'm here with now." Which from Songs point of view was just her, but from Rit's it was also three other women, and a young man. All had their purpose in the balance, all had reason to be nurtured by a Rit.
        "I think it's time we bought something a bit more worthy of your interest. Wouldn't you agree?" Rit began to take the parcels, and prizes, that Song balanced in her arms, and slipped them into his pack. Since this was one of his custom extra-dimensional bags, everything fit without it changing size.
Guild
The Soot Wolves

Characters
Ryk/Theodore/Rufus
ArjanDirkElijahGeldGulliusHiram
HerewardKheelanKurohanaLex
MalilaMelyndariaMowellesaQuinnlyn
SehrayanahTiberiusValencia
Ritousaey

Rhindeer

Wow, someone was cocky. He was a man after her own heart--if she were at all interested in the man and not just what he had to offer. When he finally professed that it was time to move onto more interesting things, it took all of her willpower not to exclaim, "about time!" The games were fun and all, and watching him show off was amusing (he had these tricks DOWN) but it wasn't where her interests lay and she was ready to see just how much money he had.

But she tried not to show that shrewd interest, tried instead to keep her face curious and awed, her eyebrows rising with surprise when he packed her prizes away into a bag that had no end--and that, at least, wasn't feigned. Sure, the man had materialized out of nowhere, but these sorts of casual magical acts weren't quite so common here as they might be elsewhere!

"Oh! How did you do that?" she gasped, putting a little extra wonder in her voice. Men did like to explain things, especially to pretty girls, and her aim was to disarm him and keep him disarmed. "You know a lot of magic, don't you? I've never seen anything like that! I didn't realize it was so big."

And she smiled up at him, flashing him an innocent look. "Anyway, what did you have in mind, my husband?"
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

Aeytrious

Rit shared a smile with Song. Her honest delight pleased him, but he knew that most of her reactions were feigned or exaggerated. "What do I have in mind?" He parroted her question with a sly grin. "We could browse the stalls here if you like. Or we could move to the shopping district on the other side of the festival, where the merchants have their best wares out on display for the event."
Guild
The Soot Wolves

Characters
Ryk/Theodore/Rufus
Ritousaey

Rhindeer

"Oh, we can go over there? That's okay?" Song asked, peering up at Rit from under her lashes. "I mean, if it's not too much...I've never had the money to even dream of going over there. But only if you don't mind! I don't want to be any trouble."

Couldn't act TOO eager, after all! She had to at least pretend to be modest.

Aeytrious

Song couldn't be more transparent. Rit could of course read her mind, but he didn't need to. He knew all the signs, the tells, and she was layering them. She was good, very subtle. He was practically a god. The wool couldn't be pulled over his eyes, but this was part of his long con, and so he responded just like Song would hope for.
        "Of course it's okay my dear," Rit said with a sweet smile. He placed his hand on her shoulder, his grin widening. "You're my wife now. I'm going to take very good care of you." Rit then slid his hand around he shoulders and guided her toward the more expensive merchants. "I'm sure we'll both take very good care of each other," he said, lowering his hand and giving Song a gentle pat on her bottom.
Guild
The Soot Wolves

Characters
Ryk/Theodore/Rufus
Ritousaey

Rhindeer

Song jumped at the pat on her bottom, but then made sure to blush prettily and cover her mouth behind a giggle. She hadn't fully decided on what kind of woman she wanted to be for him, but it looked like she kept leaning toward the flirtatious yet "hard to get" sort, so she figured she should commit. It often worked with the rich sorts--get them to buy affection and all that, keep them interested and guessing, but give just enough so that they didn't get frustrated and fed up. Though Rit was significantly less stingy than some of the other sorts she had swindled.

"Very good, indeed," she said, and captured his hand in her own. Giving it a squeeze, she smiled up at him and winked. "I'm sure you have much to teach me."

Aeytrious

The walk through the festival was not long for them. There were many people milling about, running here and there, playing games, shopping, dancing, drinking, making merry in all manner of ways. As they walked, they were not jostled though. They did not have to weave through the mass of bodies. Rit used a very subtle magical suggestion that caused people to part for him and create a perfect path. It opened just ahead of them, and then the people poured back into the open space as they passed by. What could have taken hours, instead took minutes. When they reached the shops, Rit finally let go of Song's hand and turned to her with another fool's grin.
        "Which shop would you like to go to first?"
Guild
The Soot Wolves

Characters
Ryk/Theodore/Rufus
Ritousaey

Rhindeer

That was...odd...the way the crowd parted so perfectly, like opening a book. There had never been a time she'd been able to walk the streets without having to squeeze past so many bodies, not during the festival. Maybe it was because people saw a rich man and didn't want to impede him? Maybe. But even that was unlikely; wealthy merchants rubbed elbows with urchins all the time.

Huh...

Whatever. She wasn't going to complain about all this extra breathing room!

At his question, she smiled up at him. "How about a trinket to symbolize our new union?" she said. "A necklace or ring or bracelet--a matching set for both of us to wear. What do you think?"

Because if she suggested a matching set, it sounded more romantic and selfless, right? And it meant she could pocket both later rather than only one.

Aeytrious

A jeweler wasn't a bad place to start, so Rit lead Song to the nicest one. A bell tinkling as they entered would alert anyone in the back or upper floor of the shop that they had entered. The owner, a wiry fellow with receding platinum hair and a wisp of a mustache, was at the counter serving a young couple. He looked up as Rit and Song entered, and a smile crossed his face.
        "Subhasini," he called to the back, "please come show this couple a few more pieces. My wife will be right with you." He patted the young mans shoulder as he stepped away, and an attractive, if a bit pudgy woman came from behind the curtain. She smiled when she saw Rit, and waved to him daintily, before stepping up to help the couple.
        "Rit my friend! It's always wonderful to see you. Here for a visit, or are you selling more raw stones?" The man put his hand out for Rit to grasp, and they shook heartily before coming in to embrace as brothers might after a long time apart.
        "I've actually come to make a purchase," Rit said gesturing to his new wife. "Hemchandra, meet my wife. Song, this is my good friend Hem."
Guild
The Soot Wolves

Characters
Ryk/Theodore/Rufus
Ritousaey

Rhindeer

"It's wonderful to meet you, Hem," Song said with a quick bow to hide her face, for she recognized Hem instantly as someone she had tried to swindle in the past, to pass off cut glass for gems. (Not her brightest idea.) It had been unsuccessful; he could tell a fake on sight. And that had been a year ago. But it never hurt to be overly cautious herself, and not give him a chance to study her face for long. Hopefully he wouldn't recognize her; he did deal with tons of customers, and likely his share of scammers, so that was a lot of faces to see day in and out!

Yeesh, she should have been paying more attention to where they were going!

She rose back up and tucked her arm in Rit's, pressing in close to him and raising on her toes to kiss his cheek. "We were just married," she gushed. "Inima truly blessed me today."

Aeytrious

Hemchandra did not recognize Song, not in the slightest. She was just another insignificant face before now. Coming in beside Rit, as his wife no less, would secure her place in his memory forever. There was no way he'd ever forget her. She was quickly becoming famous to those that knew Rit, and he was only just getting started.
        "It's a pleasure to meat you Song. Many of us have been trying to set Rit up with daughters and nieces. It's good that Inima has finally blessed him with a wife." His bow was respectful, and once he'd straightened he turned his attention back to Rit. "What is it that you had in mind?"
        "I believe I had you set aside a pair of lovers cuffs for me," Rit said with a smile.
        "I know just the ones you mean. I'll fetch them." Hem turned and sped into the back of his shop. He wasn't gone long before returning with a small lacquered box. He set it on the counter and turned it toward Rit and Song. He opened it without hesitation and inside were two ear cuffs. They were both styled in the form of serpentine dragons. The clearly feminine cuff was crafted of the most exquisite opals. Their milky rainbow hews swirling in the light of the shops lanterns. Small gems were used for details; rubies, emeralds, sapphires, amethysts, yellow topaz, even diamonds, glittered as claws, scales, eyes, and teeth. It was perfect. The matching cuff had less detail, more utilitarian, and the opals used were of a black variety.
        "So my wife, what do you think of it?"
Guild
The Soot Wolves

Characters
Ryk/Theodore/Rufus
Ritousaey

Rhindeer

What did she think?

Well, if she'd had less self control, she'd be drooling.

Song certainly didn't have to feign her awe as she took in the jewellery before her. Opals? Of all the gems he could have chosen, opals? It was an eerie coincidence, considering opals were her favorites--light or dark, though she knew the darker ones were more valuable. Her eyes slid to the masculine cuff, noting the black opal that would sell for...Inima, who even knew how much? If she could bear to sell them in the first place.

They were unspeakably gorgeous. And clearly priceless.

And...opals!

It was uncanny.

When she could find her voice again to speak, she looked up at Rit in amazement. "Are you a fortuneteller, too?" she asked--and half meant the question seriously! "They're beautiful, I--I can't even form the words. And opals. How...?" She laughed and shook her head. "They're my favorite, and I'm not just saying that to please you. But I never dreamed I'd ever get this close to one. How long ago did you plan these pieces? Had you planned all along to be wed this day?"

Aeytrious

"I commissioned them six months ago," Rit told his new wife. "It was then that I decided to take part in the next festival and get myself a wife. Inima spoke to me, and told me she would bring me a beautiful, and cunning wife, that would be worthy to marry even a god. So I should be honored that she be wed to me." Rit's gaze never broke from Songs beautiful blue eyes as he spoke. He reached up to her ear and removed the jewelry she had there, placing it into her hand. Then he reached passed her to the dragon. He lifted it to her, slid the post through her lobe and affixed the upper part of the adornment around the helix of her ear. It was a perfect fit. It would have fit no other ear as well as it fit Songs. The jeweler held up a small mirror for Song to see, as Rit held back her strawberry blond hair.
        "Does it please you my wife?"
Guild
The Soot Wolves

Characters
Ryk/Theodore/Rufus
Ritousaey

Rhindeer

It was a perfect fit.

Too perfect.

And for a moment, Song was genuinely speechless as she stared into the mirror, a strange feeling curling in her gut. Inima...spoke to him? And told him all this? Had...had Inima told him to commission this specific earpiece? Of a dragon made of opals? Had Inima actually spoken to him? This was too specific to be a coincidence, right? And there were fortunetellers out there who could give amazingly accurate readings and predictions.

Maybe...maybe this was actually foretold?

Song's pulse raced for a new reason as she studied her reflection and she swallowed hard, her hands suddenly clammy. No. Naw. It...it had to just be some crazy coincidence. And besides, if it had truly been predicted, all that had been predicted was that he'd marry her. And he had! There was no way he could know anything beyond that, right?

"It does," she said, and lightly touched the piece. "Immensely. More than words could express." And then, regaining her composure, she put a bright smile on her face and turned to beam up at him before pulling him into a tight hug.

"I love it! Thank you!"

Aeytrious

"Thank you Hem. The craftsmanship is beyond compare," Rit shook the jewelers hand again. He pulled out a pouch, heavy with coin, and handed it to his friend. "The agreed upon price, plus a bit extra for taking my wife's breath away." Rit placed his own cuff on his ear, and after his exchanging more pleasantries departed from the jewelry store. His fingers lazily caressed Songs neck as he lead her down a few doors to a very high end tailor.
        "Perhaps you'd like a new wardrobe wife? I think Mumneahilli has styles you'd enjoy." As they entered, Rit was once again greeted with familiarity.
Guild
The Soot Wolves

Characters
Ryk/Theodore/Rufus
Ritousaey

Rhindeer

A new wardrobe sounded fantastic! It was always easier to escape with things she could wear on her person rather than carry, so hopefully she could talk herself into some expensive silks. Bonus points if there were any gems sewn into the fabric.

She shivered at his idle caress, and was sure to lean into it more. "Well, I suppose any wife of yours ought to look the part, hm?" Song said with what she hoped was a humble smile. "So long as we're not spending your fortune all in one day! I would hate to be an inconvenience like that!"

Aeytrious

Mumneahilli and her three apprentices fawned over Rit and were happy to see him. They were all shocked that he'd finally married, and one of the apprentices seemed a little disappointed perhaps even jealous. Rit was a popular man.
        Shortly after introductions, the women went to work. They measured Song, and brought many colored fabrics to compare to her complexion. They asked her questions about her preferences in fit and color. They chatted amongst themselves about styles, seasons, utility, and form. In the end they decided on four outfits for Rit's new wife.
        One would be of the finest silk they had, woven with tiny gems and in very vibrant colors. It would be the envy of any who saw it. A second outfit made from the finest wool, would be soft, and also warm, for those colder days and evenings. Another outfit made from fine bamboo fibers woven and dyed using new techniques, would serve a more utilitarian purpose. Durable and flexible, it would be both cooling and insulating while remaining nearly as soft as silk. The final outfit would be of fine cotton. Breathable and cool, as vibrant as any silks, the fabric was not nearly as durable or flexible as the bamboo, but it was woven with the most intricate art of any of the clothes.
        "The order should be ready in a few days," Mumneahilli said. "We have other orders to fulfill, but we'll expedite this for our favorite customer." Rit thanked the women and handed over another pouch of coins, before leading Song back outside.
        "Where to next my wife?"
Guild
The Soot Wolves

Characters
Ryk/Theodore/Rufus
Ritousaey

Rhindeer

A few days? Good to know. It gave her a clear idea of her timeline, though who knows? Maybe she'd stick around longer than she thought. If he kept pampering her, she'd just keep accumulating wealth until she grew bored and restless and needed a change. She had always been the wandering sort, hating to be tied down to any one place or person.

But this? This was pretty damned nice.

And gem encrusted robes! It was like they knew her.

"Where to next?" Song gave a little stretch, arms over her head, and yawned. "I'm a bit tuckered, truth be told. I didn't realize all that eating and getting measured and all that would be so tiring. Fun, but tiring! And we of course don't have to do everything in one day. We have our whole lives ahead of us!"

She smiled up at him, and slid her hand in his, interlocking their fingers. "How about you show me your place? No, our place," she asked.

So she could start casing it early.

Aeytrious

His place. Rit didn't really have a place. Song was about to discover that. "I'd be happy to show you my island." Sure, he had an island of his own, but there were no structures on it. "My grandfather worked very hard to earn the right to claim an island of his own. It's not large, but it is mine."
        Rit opened a portal right in front of them. Through it there was the beautiful view of part of Rit's island. In the distance, the lights of Suna and the festival, could be seen. "Shall we go my wife?" As they stepped through they arrived on a well built dock. There was a large schooner, and room enough for at least two more ships. A small path led away from the dock, into the lush flora of the island. Walking along it for only a few feet made it quickly apparent that there were no structures nearby. There were possibly none on the island at all.
Guild
The Soot Wolves

Characters
Ryk/Theodore/Rufus
Ritousaey

Tags: