Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Library Fees (SilverLuna)

Started by Whim, May 10, 2017, 07:48:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Whim

@SilverLuna

Ewan's nose was buried in his map but the boy paused every few yards to watch his back, looking something like a frightened squirrel. Astoraea was supposed to be five days from Arca. The boy didn't account for it being in the middle of the old growth of the Draconi Forest. The trees here were so tall only a glimmer of sunlight filtered through. He was dirty and sweaty and the bugs were enormous. A giant serpent also made an appearance, forcing him to become a wolf. The last time he worked that spell he spent spent a week fighting the urge to piss on trees and chase squirrels.

The road to Astorea was a narrow, winding path marked by runes carved inconspicuously into root and trunk. There were also decoys, but that was to be expected, as elves did enjoy their seclusion. The boy found his way to a rope bridge connecting two petrified trees. There was a dark gorge below with no visible bottom. Surely some enormous dragon or lindwyrm or serpent lived there. With a gulp his shuffled across counting the steps, probing the mossy planks with his toes.

One...

Two...

Three...

And fifty two steps later Ewan reached the other side of the rope bridge. Beyond he caught sight of a white marble spire. It must be Astorea. Beyond the forest gave way to a clearing dotted with fields and orchards, with a grand palace at the river's edge. It was gorgeous, and strangely unguarded. Really though, were a bunch of elven rangers going to jump out and shoot a ragged little kid? Not likely. Ewan took a deep breath and walked forward with purpose.

Not many people ever got inside Astorea's library. But he was gonna. They had the only copy of Taelnir's Transfusion.
Awesome avatar by Eckhart_von_Musel

Guilds:
Wyrdwood Academy of Arcane Science

Events:
The Midnight Harvest
Into the Mouth of Qokagax

Characters:
Ewan ap Rhys - once a great sorcerer, now a small boy
Anwen ferch Rhys - scholar of blood magic
Duke Blackthorn - Duke of Dawn and Dusk, Warden of Weal and Woe, and all-around evil faerie
"Kaliam" - magically conjoined apprentice wizards
Maergath - Magister of Soulshaping, necromancer, angry and hateful wizard
Narlis Thordane - Hero for hire, proud and unrepentant scumlord
Niamh Wayrest - trader in forbidden lore, purveyor of curiosities
OLIVER THE BARBARIAN - a very reluctant hero and monster-slayer
Sage Whitechalk - heir to the Whitechalk Family
Saoirse Nettlefield - Headmistress of Wyrdwood, conniving academic

SilmeriaElemred

It was not unusual for the borders to have invisible guards. Ewan had been watched and many of the animals and obstacles he had encountered, were not real. The magic the moonelves had woven in the trees played tricks on the people who entered these woods. It was not a deadly trap but an effective method to keep those with bad intentions out of the way. The moment Ewan stepped towards the buildings however the illusion broke. The building was still there but crumbled to the ground. Along with some ruined buildings. The orchards however were intact and seemed well taken care off.

Softly, the strings of a lute made music and against one of the trees a barechested man was sitting, playing the instrument. Around him were various baskets of apples, plums and grapes waiting in the shade to be brought to the village.

The mans hair was white blond, sunlight making it seem to be made of the sun.  His skincolor unusually tanned for an elf. His race easilly seen by the long ears.

He then stopped playing and looked towards Ewan whom he greeted with a smile. ''Probably not the place you were looking for am I correct?'' he had a teasing smile. ''Sorry about that. coming this far though means you have no harm intended so that is a good thing. But why you are here however is a whole other thing.'' His voice was kind and so was his expression.

Whim

Was it all a trick of the light? He met someone who knew someone who said the moon elves were
here just a year ago! And that parapet was definitely not crumbled a minute ago. And there used to be a gazebo near that pile of sticks! The boy was mulling this over when the stranger spoke, yelping in fear. "I, um, I was looking for- I didn't touch-"

Ewan always thought of elves as impossibly regal. They were meant to be pale and soft with gossamer robes and lead lives of luxury. This one, while sporting a pretty face, was tanned and shirtless like some country boy. It then occurred to him elves might also need farmers. He was also smiling and not scary in the least.

"Well you ain't- you havent't got anything to be sorry for. I was just jumpy from the woods. Is this Astorea?" Ewan straightened his posture and tried to look important. It was a hard thing to do wearing an over-sized straw hat and what was mostly tattered rags. "I'm Ewan ap Rhys, and I'd suppose I'm one of the best wizards in Serendipity. I came here looking for its library ya see."

Guilds:

Events:
The Midnight Harvest

Characters:
Duke Blackthorn - Duke of Dawn and Dusk, Warden of Weal and Woe, and all-around evil faerie

SilmeriaElemred

''Pleasure meeting you Ewan ap Rhys, my name is Raen. As for my apolagy, it was for the illusions I made. But about a handfull of hours ago I realised you had no bad intentions so let the illusions of the forest bring you here so I could finish my work.'' He looked at the person who still stood where he entered.

''As for Astoraea, you're almost there. But you wish to enter a place you are not exactly ready for just yet. Hence you were probably lead here.'' Raen got on his feet. ''These orchards belonged to that tower. Well, it's owner before he left some centuries back. Its ruins were already here when my kin decided to make this region our home but we left the ruins intact. We did fixe the orchards and plow the field for crops. The trees stand tall and mighty. The fruit they bare is durable and sweet. And the soil is nutricious for what we grow'' he carested the bark of the tree with his hand.

''If Astoraea's library is what you seek, it are the elders you should speak I will gladly bring you to them. I wonder though. Someone your age. How can you be among the best wizards in Serendpity? And what does our librarby have that you can not find elsewhere.''

He took two apples from a basket and walked over to Ewan, offering him one.

Whim

"Nice to meet you, Raen!" Ewan smiled and extended a grubby hand to shake and grab the apple. He regarded it carefully. It could be poison, of course, but why bother with poison in the middle of nowhere. "Illusions? So what's real and what isn't?"

"Oh. I'm much older than I look, thanks to transfiguration and stuff. I want to know a spell called Taelnir's Transfusionn. Or something like that. Let's you link the lives of two things together." The boy took an enormous bite, splattering juice everywhere. His mannerisms didn't seem much different from an ordinary boy's. "It'd be just lovely if you could show me the way. Not that I wanna bug you, yeah?

"And thanks for the apple. Do you grow them with magic?" his eyes darted eagerly around the lush orchards and fields. It was all greener and brighter than Serendipity proper.

Guilds:

Events:
The Midnight Harvest

Characters:

SilmeriaElemred

''We do not force the trees to bear fruit. We do however take care of the trees in a good way. They reward us with the fruit they give. I have no knowledge about transfiguration magic but if you are indeed older then you look os ot really a good idea to use such a spell? If I would have been turned into a young boy I would've done everything I could to undo it.''

he pondered. It was not his place to know or ask why or what he wanted to do with such a spell to begin with. ''You can ask the elders when we get there. It is no bother for me to take you to them but it is up to them wether you're permitted to read the book or not.'' he walked back to the baskets of fruit and picked up two after putting the instrument on a basket with apples ''Do you think you can help carry the third? The illusions should not bother you as long as you're with me. ''

Whim

"Well being pretty handsome I didn't want to get old and wrinkled or anything. It's not so bad really! Besides being small..." the boy gave a sheepish grin, flexing his scrawny arms. "I suppose your sort hasn't got to worry about that. How old are you anyway? If you, um, don't mind my asking..."

What would the elves want? Ewan simply imagined he could trade a spell he knew. But elves and faefolk were tricky with all their illusions! What if they wanted his soul? His capacity to feel joy? For him to toil a hundred years in their orchard? Sidhe were so pretty it was easy to forget how dangerous they could be.

The boy scrambled forward and hefted the basket of apples onto his head, wobbling dangerously. Being small was rather annoying. Soon enough they were on their way, and Ewan was scampering to keep up with the tall and graceful elf.  "So what bits of this are illusory? And I don't suppose you lot use the kinda glamours that leave bite marks if you think they're real? Handy talent for a fruit-grower." There was probably more to Raen than met the eye.

Guilds:

Events:
The Midnight Harvest

Characters:

SilmeriaElemred

''My age huh? I am 25 Summers young. What about you. How old are you supposed to be. I do personally think it is messing with the natural order of things. As for the illusions, they do not do permanent damage. Maybe sanity or mental trauma if what they see truely frightens them enough to for example make them flee but it depends on the intension a person has. They will not be put upon innocent people. But that does not mean they can not feel physicial pain. The mind, especially human minds tend to fill in their own gaps to make things fit. If an illusionary snake bites someone, the one who thinks is being bitten will actually see the bite marks, reddened skin and feel pain, since that is what he or she expects. But illusionwise, roads are still roads. It is not like we lead everyone to some insane painful death or anything. Illusionairy forest creatures can lead people out of the forest too or lead them directly to the village instead.''

His pace was slow so Ewan could easily keep up. This road though, from the orchard to the village was paved.

Whim

"I thought your sort lived to be a thousand and took a hundred years to grow up! And I'm twenty five too. Well I was. And I think magic's got a way of working itself out. It keeps me young forever but it's not like I'll-" the boy turned an alarming shade of red, squirming. "Well most grown-ups will replace themselves with kids before they die. I guess if you think about it like that it's not gonna upset the balance of nature, yeah?"

For a road through a hidden stretch of woodland it was surprisingly well kept. By the time they'd gone another half mile Ewan's arms were beginning to ache. He paused to set down the apple basket. An impish smirk crossed the boy's face, "I could give you a little demonstration of my magic. If you doubt me."

Guilds:

Events:
The Midnight Harvest

Characters:

SilmeriaElemred

''It is not because I doubt you.'' Raen put down his baskets as well. I'd like to see though. However. We have actual paved ground for those who want to use magic. If things go wrong then at the least not everything will burn to cinders. The latter happened before I was born though but some of the acres of crops got burned away, resulting in food shortage. He flexed his muscles and stacked the baskets on top of one another. ''We're almost there. Just behind that line of trees. What magic is it that you have exactly other then turning yourself into a kid.''

The road had turned into a paved path and they reached the end of the trees revealing a very large clearing. There were no loose houses though. Judging by the Sun they arrived at the South side, where walnut trees stood mighty and tall. On the West side were several acres where wheat and other crops were growing. Adjecent to them were a few two story buildings, built like a half circle around them. There was a school as well, where children were listening to their teacher. One of the young students waved at Raen but since he couldn't wave back with his cargo he gave the girl an acknowledging nod instead. The differences between the men and women were strange though. Where the men had blonde or golden hair and tanned or even bronzed skin, the women had black hair or some even strands of purple. Their skin paler or even a very light shade of purple. In the middle of the grounds was a long garden, divided into multiple sections for various purposes. On the East side a large sickle moon shaped building was visible. The light wooden doors in the middle skillfully engraved.

''That moon shaped building is where the elders are. I will need to take you there after I have delivered thes...'' there was an 'oof' sound. The girl who had waved at him before had appearantly ran from the class and embraced Raen resulting him to lose his balance and fall, spilling the fruit all over the ground.

''Brother!'' the girl spoke lovingly as she snuggled against him still, not caring she was hugging him tight and had resulted him to fall. ''You're back I missed you!''

''Good day Illi.'' Raen said with a chuckle and gently patted her head. He looked at Ewan. ''Ewan, this is my sister. Illi. Illy, meet Ewan.''

Illy looked at Ewan and smiled broadly. ''Yay! It is not often someone about my age gets lost and comes here. Welcome to Astoraea.'' she offered him a warm smile and a polite bow.

Whim

"I specialize in the transfiguration of stuff that's alive. I mean, um, fauna and flora. I was just going to add a bit of muscle!" Ewan sighed and picked up his basket, looking almost disappointed he didn't get to show off. His pace slowed as they made it to the village proper. It was very pretty, and the stonework hardly seemed out of place amidst the trees. Star and moon iconography was everywhere. He'd need to ask Raen about it. "So where are we taking -" Suddenly the elf was tackled by his little sister. Ewan had to suppress a laugh as her hug sent the grown elf and apples flying.

"Awful nice to meet you Illy. And I'm not really lost. I'm wizard! So I came to visit your library to learn stuff. Spells I mean." It was really too much to explain all over again, though he didn't fancy being called a lost child. A smirk crossed the boy' face as the fruit rolled to a halt. "And ain't your teachers going to be cross with you running off? Not to mention the bruised apples. Does your family run the orchard?"

Guilds:

Events:
The Midnight Harvest

Characters:

SilmeriaElemred

''Illy's face turned red at the mentioning of the teachers. '' ...right. I should go back.'' she said. ''But still. You were gone for days.'' she pouted and looked at Raen with a made angry face which actualky made her look cute.

''Alright I am sorry. I had work to do though....'' Raen started.
''Work you could have finished days ago if you would stop getting distracted.'' Illy said as she finally got off him
''That... is beside the point.'' Raen sighed and got on his own fwet gathering the apples that were all over the ground.  ''How about I cook for you today huh?''
Illy's lips turned into a big smile. ''Deal.'' she said and looked at Ewan. ''Will he be there too?'' she asked.
''Depends. Now. Get back to class alright?''
''okay.'' Illy gave a courteous bow and ran back to the teacher who was waiting for her impatiently.

''I know one thing. The higher ups are not going to like this.'' Raen said and sughed as he picked up a bruised apple. ''We are to take these to the storage barns. They can be found over there.'' He gestured to a few buildings not much farther ahead.  Rean was swift by tossing the apples back in the basket but the plums suffered the most damage.

Regardless he packed everything and went to the storage barn with the baskets. ''You should keep your little sister more in check Raen. It is behaviour I expect from you but not her. What is the damage? And who is this?'' A man spoke who was outting chestnuts in various boxes.

''His name is Ewan. He walked to the old orchard where I worked the past few days. I will bring him to the elders after sorting this.'' Raen replied. ''As for my sister, I will do my best. '' he said.

He lifted the basket from Ewans hands and set it on the ground. ''The plums are better off to be made into marmelade. Some apples are bruised.''

The man nodded. ''I will take care of it. Bring this young man to the elders and return to me.''

''Yes sir.'' Raen said and sighed before looking at Ewan. ''Ready to meet them?'' he asked

Whim

Ewan hid a smirk as he watched the siblings, though it transformed into a thoughtful frown. The boy's mind briefly wandered to his siblings and cousins back in Ravensway. They were all bigger than he was now. He'd never have kids how he was. Wouldn't really have neices and nephews who'd ever seen him that way either. Illy's departure was met with a smile and shy wave.

The boy kept his mouth shut as the elder elf lectured Raen, carefully and quietly sorting the fruit and trying to look busy. It was irksome neither had asked or offered an introduction, as if he were a stray puppy. Ewan smeared the juice from his fingers and turned to face the young elf. "Sorry for the tongue-lashing. Fellow ought to be more grateful for your help!" his mouth turned into an O at the sudden realization. Probably a father or uncle. "-oh. This is your family farm?

"And I guess we haven't much choice. But I, um, don't really feel ready..." the ragged boy squirmed and looked down. He was dirty, shirtless, and his scrolls were all disorganized. He wasn't in any shape to be swave and barter his secrets for an unseemly spell of parasitic healing. "Thought I'd just pay silver to get in, yeah? Anything I should know about em?"

Guilds:

Events:
The Midnight Harvest

Characters:

SilmeriaElemred

''He is my uncle. A stern uncle. The type who concludes first and asks later. He got a bit more cranky since we rely a lot on our harvests. We can not exactly handle much loss in crops. We have reserves though obviously but our diet is limited since we do not consume flesh of animals at all. Our only exceptions of the use of animals are sheep wool and silk. As for the elders, other then Vyvynia they do not like me. But you are not me.'' He noticed Ewan looking at his clothes. ''It does not matter how you look. We look past that here.'' To a certain degree anyway but Ewan did not have to know that.

As they spoke, Raen lead Ewan to the sickle moon shaped building and stopped in front of two heavy doors, engraved with a celestial couple. ''I recommend not to bribe them though, and to take off your shoes.'' Raen suggested before he knocked and opened the doors. ''Not to worry, they don't bite. I will wait here for you''

Inside it looked dark and there was a sound of water flowing gently but the little amount of light inside revealed three silhouettes of people sitting on the ground.

Whim

"With everything here already so pretty I don't believe you elves don't care about looks and fancy dress" the boy flashed a grin at Raen "And thanks for taking me here. You've been awful kind so far! I, um, I hope I didn't get you into trouble..." He gave Raen a sympathetic smile, and slipped through the heavy doors.

The elven citadel seemed to be in perpetual twilight thanks to the stained glass. Its silence, save for the sound of running water, compelled Ewan to tip-toe through the indoor garden. "H-hello?" he called out to the slim figures. "My name's Ewan ap Rhys. I'm a wizard from Serendipity, Arca in particular, come looking for a spell that's supposed to be in Astorea's library.

"Its called Taelnir's Transfusion! Conjures up a plant that can move life from a healthy person to a sick person in a pinch, yeah? I got spells of my own to trade for it." the little wizard straightened his posture, trying to look officious and important. He knew the moon elves' healing came at the cost of their own life. The transfusion was a rather dark spell at its core, drawing on the power of parasites and infection, but incredibly useful. Its thorny vines could be used to transfer not only life-force but magic.

Guilds:

Events:
The Midnight Harvest

Characters:

SilmeriaElemred

((Back from holiday))

''And what makes you think we will give you that spell? Ewan ap Rhys.'' A man's voice said. It was not exactly dismissive but a clear indication that the spell would not be given away so easily.  A woman's voice followed, probably that of Vyvynia ''You disobeyed and broke a law of nature indicating that you are probably not prepared enough for it. Eternal youth you wanted and eternal youth you shall have. But if nature meant for humans to be immortal, they would've been exactly that. If you wish to aquire the spell, you will need to prove to us that you are worthy of having it. Any rank you have outside of this city does not count. A prince, is equal to a beggar in this Sanctuary.''

''I am wondering though. Why a wizard such as yourself would want the knowledge to conjure a plant that makes a sick person healthy while drawing that health away from another. We lock that spell here up on purpose. Do you have any idea what could happen were it to fall in someones hands at all? A sick high noble could force someone to perform it to get better while condamning a person to death. It could strip a man, woman or child of his or her magic. If one were to perform it many times he or she could consume a vast amount of magic power. So tell me. What is it exactly you wish to do with that spell.''

Whim

(No worries! Work kept me busy the last few weeks so I'm sorry about that.)

Ewan squirmed beneath the gaze of the elfin figures. Astorea's elders already seemed to know quite a bit; probably had all sorts of eyes and ears about the village, if not divinations. It was easy to forget how much magic was hidden in this rustic place. "Well I don't see what's wrong with wanting to be long-lived. I don't remember any rule saying humans need to get old and die. I'm hardly going to be filling the world to the brim with children this way..." the boy screwed up his face, failing to hide is annoyance and looking petulant. His scrawny body was clearly on the other side of adolescence. That love and parenthood would never happen... stung.

"I suppose I need it on account of, well, my magic having waned since I shrunk. It's hard to control like how I am." Of course that was met with silence. Ewan sighed softly. "How can I prove I won't roam the countryside like like some sort of vampire then? I promise I won't. If I was some sort of evil witch I'd have put a hex on Raen and snuck in rather than be nice, yeah?"

Guilds:

Events:
The Midnight Harvest

Characters:

SilmeriaElemred

''If the Gods wanted humans to live long they would have made them that way don't you think? Humans have things that Elves do not. Still. This is the situation now. As for hexes, we may be a peaceful folk but do not underestimate us. We will not just give you the spell.You can live here for a while if you wish but any misbehaviour and you will be placed outside our borders. The fact that you do not mean harm to us allows you to see the village to begin with. Magic is a responsibility however and not a toy.  If control over your magic is what you seek, why not go for a more safer spell.'' Vyvynia spoke, clearly she had more to say then the men who were more suspicous but did not remark on her offer for Ewan to stay.

''You do not need to answer right away but think it over. A room in the guest quarters shall be prepared for you. During your stay however we expect you to help us with the chores. Everyone here does them f they wish to eat. Going out into the forest is permitted but preferably not alone. We have had an infestation of a magic plant we can not seem to control. We honor life but alas this plant kills everything painfully it comes in contact with. Is there however, anything we can do for you while you are here.'' one of the men added.

Tags: