Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

No Shoes, No Socks... No Problem (Private) [M]

Started by Blink, May 26, 2017, 03:24:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blink

Half wincing at the way he reacted Paisley lowered her gaze, fully expecting the rest of his answer to be a solid denial. However, when he began mentioning how she may be right she perked back up.

"Thank you!" she chirped before slipping out the door, not wanting to push her luck by hugging him or something absurd like that. Pausing outside the door Paisley smiled, turning back to look at the solid wood now behind her. Roland may have been trying to act like a dead set commander, but Paisley was beginning to see something more behind it. He really did care for his soldiers, otherwise, he would have flat out told her no.

Immediately she began preparing and within half an hour was standing outside of Stellan's tent with two horses packed with the minimalistic needs of camping. Tying the horses up she skipped towards his tent and as usual pushed open the door flap without announcing herself.

"Stellan! Come... we are leaving." Paisley then turned back around and went back out the tent, skipping back up to the horses and standing in front of them as she waited for him to come out. As soon as he would he would see her standing there, presenting the horses like a grand prize.

"You are to come with me camping. We have one week.... Roland's orders."

Lion

What...  What the hell was going on?

Stellan had been organizing the paperwork that went with figuring out which suppliers were better, and based on what they would require, etc. It was all very taxing, and as much as he was the Cyrus' assistant, he began to think he needed an assistant of his own!  Besides getting everything they needed would just be another headache entirely.

So when Paisley showed up with horses outside of his tent with their packs all set up, he did come out, with a piece of charcoal and that damn clipboard pressed against his left forearm. "Uhhh, what?  That can't be right. I've got a lot of work to do, Maika. I can't be away that long. It'll all just be piling up," Stellan chuckled, thinking this clearly was a joke.

Like to kill mages?  Join the Order!
The Order of St. Agratha

Help Rebuild Connlaoth from the ashes of war!
The Red Legion

Jump in the water's fine!
Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"Life is a series of dogs." -George Carlin
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

Blink

His lack of excitement on the matter was a damper on her mood. Again Paisley walked away from the horses and up to Stellan with arms crossed.

"It is all taken care of. And you have no say in the matter. As I said before.... Roland's orders."

Paisley then closed the distance between the two and reached for the board in his hand. With a quick motion, she took it and watched in glory as it flung through the air with papers falling in all sorts of different directions.

After it was all said and done she crossed her arms once more with a brow raised.

Lion

"Roland wouldn't order such a foolish thing! Not when there's - HEY!"

She snatched that clipboard out of his hand faster than he could react and he dropped the charcoal piece as she tossed it. And when she glanced back at him, his entire face was beet red with both shock and growing rage and he immediately scampered after them, trying to collect them all before they were dampened from the puddles between the cobblestones.

"Fucking hell, String Bean. I need those!" Stellan growled as he picked them up and scowled when most of the papers were ruined and disorganized and some of them kicked away by passing Legionnaires.

"Rothsfield!" Cyrus rumbled through the area, red-faced and his bald-head sunburned. The short man was every picture of a grumpy old man, and unlike Stellan he had both hands and he still seemed to be fumbling with a set of sheathes and their respective blades. He stomped into Stellan's tent and dumped the items onto his workbench and stomped right out. "Assign those blades immediately! And get me the goddamned list of the suppliers!  You have one goddamn hand, but I swear it was on your dick and your head was up your ass."

"Sir! I had the papers right here!  I..well, I had most of them," Stellan began when Cyrus reared his ugly head toward him.

"I need all Rothsfield!  YESTERDAY! You're fucking useless."  And stomped off.

Stellan watched him, jaw agape.  And that's when he dropped the papers and turned to Paisley.  He met her gaze momentarily before crossing toward the horses and mounted the pinto one.  "Well, you just gonna stand there, or are you we going camping?"

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

Blink

Perhaps anyone else would have felt bad, but Paisley was trying to make a point. So as Stellan stumbled around trying to collect them she merely watched on, completely entertained as she waited for him to admit defeat.

It was then that Cyrus made his entrance, going about screaming at Stellan like he was a dog. Oh how badly she wanted to say something in his defense, but even she knew that may hurt him more than help in the long run. Again another instance where Paisley at least attempted to think before opening her mouth.

Completely dumbstruck with the way the old ass spoke to Stellan she watched him storm off with an open mouth. She didn't even see Stellan mount the horse until he was telling her he was ready to go.

"That is more like it" she laughed before running to the other horse and mounting it quickly. From there she kicked at its side and clicked her tongue to make it take off in a hurry, not wanting to waste any time should Stellan change his mind.

After they were well on their way towards Athervaan lake Paisley let off the reins a bit, causing her horse to slow to a more casual trot. "So are you still mad at me for throwing your papers? Or are you ready to admit that perhaps 'String Bean' has a good idea every now and then?"

Lion

As they were riding along, Stellan gripped the reins in his hand and rested his hand on the pommel of the saddle, and hated that he felt like he was sulking over nothing at all.  It wasn't like Cyrus to get so pissed off at him, and he felt like he wouldn't have gotten yelled at had he just had left that damn clipboard inside the tent.

He blinked, glancing at Paisley when she spoke. Oh, but he couldn't stay upset with her. Cyrus was an old codger that would have taken his wrath out of anyone, let alone him. It was nothing personal.

"Yeah, yeah, fine. I'll admit it!  You had a good idea. Even if I didn't want to admit it. So damn, thanks for rescuing me," he laughed. "But....I feel like it being 'Roland's Orders' to be a bit of a stretch. How did you get him to agree to it?"

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Blink

"I am more observant than one may think." A smile on her lips as she thought of all the times someone thought she wasn't paying attention. She could tell from the moment she laid eyes on him earlier he was tired, clearly having been busy from the moment they arrived at the Iron Keep.

Another observation being that Stellan was a selfless person. Of course, he would do whatever he could to make the people they were trying to help lives easier. It was all evident from the moment he showed her how much detail he had put into her bow. It was all funny now looking back, how at first she thought him just another mindless brute looking down on her.

"I simply pointed out how hard you have been working." Paisley laughed as she thought of her next point, clearly feeling like she was moving the final piece on a chess board. "I did say I would repay you for all the favors you have done for me anyways."

With that she turned her head towards him, his horse walking right alongside hers. "I mean... what is the point in working so hard if you forget to live? Sometimes you should just take a step back and enjoy the little things."

Leaning forwards Paisley patted her horse's neck. "Less you forget what it is we are all fighting so hard for to begin with."

Lion

As much as he hated to admit it, she did have a rather clever point about it. Stellan, after all, had been the one to tell her that he'd been working and hadn't even so much as seen the outside or spoken wih another person in a casual setting since arriving in Vermillion. As much as the city was beautiful and filled with such history, he hadn't a chance to see or experience really any of it.

"I haven't forgotten," he said. "It's just that I've been so busy. So, thanks Paisley. Really I appreciate it. I just do have one question though. Why camping?  After all you went through the last few days with that Templar, I would have though you'd have had enough of the outdoors?"

If she looked at him now, she'd see that he was smirking, and more or less trying to keep his laughter to himself. He could afford her that courtesy.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Blink

Sitting back up on the saddle Paisley pondered on Stellan's question. It was a valid one at that... Why camping? Well in truth Paisley had never been one to be bested by something so easily (so she would like to believe). So in an instance where she so terribly suffered through she figured why not try again.

It looked like the one Stellan was giving her now that made her feel more determined than ever to get it right the second time around.

"I have been wanting to go fishing." A half lie at her true intentions. But at the very thought of partaking in such an activity made her realize that Stellan would most likely witness the one thing she was worse at than sparring.

For one, Paisley was not a patient person. Secondly, the urge to pull out her bow and shoot a target seemed more plausible than hoping a creature would nibble at some bread on a string. But maybe, just maybe she could pull off the charade of actually knowing what she was doing.

"I bet I catch more fish than you." Her words a dare as she clicked at her horse, causing it to speed up a bit.

Lion

"Fishing huh? Now there's something I can dig my proverbial teeth into," he laughed. Because the thought of her trying to wrangle a massive bass out of the lake was bloody hilarious!  But then she had to go on and say a little thing like that.

"That sounds like a challenge to me. But I dunno. I'm pretty handy with a rod," he chuckled, nudging his horse to go a little faster than hers.

"Okay, you're on. What's the bet then? We've got to keep it interesting."

A glance at her and Stellan cackled. "Because you might be good with a bow, but the water is an entirely different animal altogether."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Blink

When he laughed Paisley couldn't help but wonder what he was finding so entertaining. Was it the thrill of fishing, or the thrill of watching her fail? Paisley knew she was horrible at the game, yet she had to go and open her big mouth without thinking... as usual.

"A bet?" Oh, the things she could wager on this, so many possibilities. Raising a brow she looked over her shoulder at him, contemplating the best prize to the winner who undoubtedly would be him. So the real question being what was Paisley willing to lose.

Thinking on it deeply Paisley contemplated her actual chances. Maybe, just maybe Stellan was lying and she had a chance. "This is all a game. He wants me to think he is good at fishing just so I give up! I'll show you Stellan Rothsfield!"

"I wager loser must swim in the lake at night when the water is coldest.." she paused for dramatic effect as she clicked her tongue for the horse to move faster. Kicking her heels into its side the stallion took off in a sprint and Paisley's words would reach Stellan's ears as she created more distance between them.

"... Naked!" she yelled as she continued to push her horse forwards. "Even if I do lose at least it will be dark" a secret backup plan already forming in her mind.

Lion

If she was looking to make a challenge of it, Stellan definitely was game. And why not? Paisley proved to be a constant source of entertainment. But furthermore, she was good company, and he'd like to see her in a competitive setting where no real bloodshed was involved, except for the fish, of course.

It wasn't that he necessarily wanted her to lose, he figured they both had enough of the odds against them that it'd be more than fair. She had two hands, and maybe not quite as much skill. He had a little more practice in the art, but only one hand.  This was definitely going to be interesting.

Until she laid down her wager and Stellan's jaw dropped.  Naked? Swimming?  At night?

And then it turned sly. "You're on!" he gripped and even nudged his pinto horse to canter a little faster, and then a gallop.  And then he began to pass her up.  "I'll beat you to the camp site and then you'll see what eating my dust tastes like!"  And then began to gallop down the path.

The racing had been brief, but there was enough time enjoy the scenery and Stellan slowed down long enough to let his horse rest, dropping from the saddle once they reached a clearing closer to the water.  "Oh, man I've nearly forgotten how nice it is to be in the wilderness..."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Blink

True to Stellan's words his horse seemed to move faster than hers, and Paisley was left to watch the hind end of the Pinto as it galloped ahead of her.

Once the clearing was reached Paisley watched as Stellan dropped from his saddle and took in the scenery. Following suit Paisley dismounted and then walked up beside him, crossing her arms as she took in the scenery beside him.

"Seems the lake is one of the few places not affected by the war."

Turning back she began unstrapping bags and supplies from the saddles quickly making work of the things she had packed for their trip. Of course, she only brought the necessities and figured the rest they could figure out as they went on. Paisley even managed to sneak her old clothing from Stellan's tent in case she needed it.

"There is still plenty of daylight left." She stated as she began fumbling through one of the bags for the fishing supplies. Thank goodness she thought to pack it, knowing the lake would be a great source of food for the duration of their trip.

"So are you ready to lose?"

Lion

Stellan helped her unpack as best he could. And when everything was just about set up he smacked a mallet into the ground to fortify the tent just before he used a string to jerryrig it up into a properer stand. It was knotted between two branches just across from one another and the flaps fell into place flawlessly.

"Oh, we're staring now, huh?  All right, just gimme a second. I don't wanna have to bother trying to take off my boots in case I do actually lose," he laughed, sitting down on a log at the water's edge and slowly working his feet out of his boots along with his stockings.

Stellan rolled his pant legs up and finally maneuvered toward the water.

"All right, ready!  Do you even know how to fish? Just so this is a fair competition?"

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Blink

"Of course I know how to fish!" Paisley by now was slipping her own boots and stockings off and making her way down towards the water. Picking up a decent stick on the way Paisley tied fishing line to the end accompanied with a hook and some dried meat.

"What kind of girl do you think I am? A Duchy?" Of course Paisley would resort to belittling those in station above her.

"The real question here is how well can you swim? Because clearly, you are going to be in that lake by nightfall."

After that Paisley was all serious, daring to throw the line in the water and wait.

Lion

"A duchy? You're an entire piece of land? Well, butter my biscuits and call me Samson. I've never met a walking duchy before," he laughed, baiting his own line with a little more effort than her.

Stellan tossed the line in and watched it fly out away from the bank's edge. "I think you mean duchess. A duchess might not know how to fish. You're welcome," he said, keeping his eyes forward so that he could watch her reflection in the water instead.

He knew his arm would get tired just holding the rod itself, so he turned and shifted around so he could position the stick between a heavy rock and the log he'd been sitting on.
"So how many fish you plan on catching, Duchess?"

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Blink

Immediately Paisley felt like a fool for using the wrong term and of course, Stellan had picked up on it. Narrowing her eyes her grip only tightened on her pole as she restrained from using too harsh a words on the man.

"Well, Samson..." smirking Paisley felt she had made a small jab at him, however stupid it may have been. "I plan on catching at least one more than you." Again she smirked before turning her attention back to the pole within her hands.

She stared it down with as much force as the strongest enemy, preparing herself for when it may strike. It was then that Paisley recalled something her father had told her about fishing. "Jerk the pole Paisley, the fish will attack the bait thinking it is an injured fish."

And so she did...

Paisley jerked the pole a bit and however dimwitted it made her look she felt it really was helping. Especially when she felt the weight at the end of her line. Immediately her determined features turned to that of pure joy and she began jumping up and down as she pulled the line in.

"Already got one!" she screamed as she set the pole down and began pulling on the line with her hands. "It's a big one!" the sheer weight insinuating that Paisley had already won this competition. However... this was not the case.

Paisley's smile very quickly turned down as she pulled the boot onto the bank, her cheeks flushing red with embarrassment. She couldn't even bring herself to look at Stellan, or the boot for that matter as she felt like the world's biggest joke. Eventually, though she allowed her eyes to look at the prize she had just pulled in and her jaw dropped.

"My boot!"

Lion

Stellan was prepared to just let the bait and line do the work. Constantly gauging whether or not the pole was going to do anything was exhausting. His one hand was better set to tying a string of reeds together with his fingers. Well sorta. The knot eventually came loose when he heard Paisley's commotion.

"Holy shit! You're actually catching something."  His own voice was filled to the brim with surprise. And just a little indignation. Ten minutes in and already she was one fish up on him.

Until...he saw it was a boot.

Her boot.

Then Stellan jumped over the log and in front of her. "What do you think you're doing? It's a boot! The lake claimed it! It's hers now."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Blink

Immediately Paisley ducked past Stellan and towards her boot, picking it up to cradle in her arms like a newborn child. "Technically the Boar claimed it, and then somehow it ended up here."

"It was clearly fated Stellan. Ansgar himself probably had a hand in this divine intervention." Her eyes were serious as she then extended her arms towards Stellan with the boot in hand. "This boot ended up here so that you can fix it for me! And then all will be right in the world once more!"

Okay, so maybe she wasn't as serious as she was letting on. Was this Paisley finally having a way to push at Stellan's buttons? Even she knew how much he despised her precious footwear from the first time he measured her. She had even noted the pure joy in his eyes when she finally was forced to wear 'proper' boots, made by him of course.

"I bet it still fits perfectly!"

Lion

It was a rather foul boot. Horrible. Deserved to be filled with rocks and thrown back into that lake. But for all the sentimentality she had for it, Stellan could step back at least for a short time and let her admire what it was that she'd lost. Nostalgia for nostalgia's sake. And for all he knew that was something she fashioned herself. Much like the bow she'd broken.

Until she suggested he fix it for her. "No.  NO! NO-nonononononono!" he said abruptly. "That is NOT happening, Paisley. Not in a million years. Not on your life. Not even if you gave me my left hand back."

And he stuck his tongue out at her, snatched her boot in his good hand and cast it back into the waters! "Go fish!'

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn