Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

A difficult means to an unknown end

Started by Anonymous, March 05, 2006, 01:37:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

"Knock yourself out kid. Just give me a yell if anything happens, even if you think you can handle it. After all, part of my assignment is watching you, and I need to be able to make a full report."

He wasn't afraid of mages, but he was afraid of ghosts? Something was wrong with this kid, but he just seemed to be so confident that it couldn't hurt to either let him demonstrate his skill or take a blow to his ego. Or more likely, be as bored as Teylud was.

He smiled at the last thought and dropped into a very light sleep -- the first sound would awaken him, but in the meantime, who knew how long this shift would be?

Anonymous

Damn if it wasn't dark in here! Yones cursed himself for failing to bring some sort of light source with him. At the moment he could see, barely, using the light from the doorway behind him, but it wouldn't be too much longer until he would be in total blackness.

His heavy military boots (uncomfortable things!) made dull thuds on the stone floor as he made his way down the tunnel. Yones kept one hand to the wall, hoping he'd be able to navigate that way when the last bit of light disappeared. It seemed to him he was heading in the correct direction, but who could tell in these catacombs?

Had he heard something up ahead? He squinted, trying to make out a familiar shape in the darkness. No luck, it was pitch black. If there was someone here, he would probably trip right over them before he saw them.

Yones tripped over something.

"Shit!" It probably wasn't a person, but he'd ruined any chance of sneaking up on anyone in the immediate area. Plus it felt like he had injured his foot somehow.

Anonymous

"I think I'll decide who I am or who I'm not scared of, witch," replied Blacksticks, lifting the crossbow so that it would be more likely to hit a standing figure. The statement sounded a bit dubious in retrospect, but he didn't try to retract it. The fact was that he had no idea what the woman could do with her powers, or even if she had any. In truth, she hasn't shown any arcane abilities outside of seeing in the dark, and that's from some sort of potion. Have I actually found a magician, or have I just attacked a defenceless girl?

Caution won over in the thief's mind, and he kept his weapon  trained on where the voice had come from. At least the girl seemed afraid of Snuff, if maybe not so much the crossbow. Intimidation was probably the best tactic to pursue, in that case. Well, if he could bring himself to threaten such a frightened, defenceless, and most likely young girl. He wasn't going to be walking away from this with dignity if someone found out that he'd been holding a powerless woman at crossbow-point. And it would be worse, although more unlikely, if anyone found out that he'd actually been afraid of her. (Although, come to think of it, he may well not be walking away at all if it turned out that she was actually some god-powerful sorceress.) In any case, he realised, he would probably do well to identify his foe.

"Merlot, did you say your name was? Well, be aware of your position when you answer this, in any case," he hissed, waving the crossbow meaningfully.
"Are you a magic-user? And if so, are there any more like you nearby?"

Hmm. Subtle.

(Doubleplussorry for the... two-week late post. I'd say I was taking my time with it, but... Well, you read it. I've just had a huge writer's block recently.)[/i]

Anonymous

(Don't worry about it ^__^;; I'm in no position to complain about anyone's posts being a little late.)

"Y-yes, I'm sorry," she was tempted to crouch again, but didn't want to risk any movements. Why would he be scared of her anyway? Even if he was scared of magic users she wasn't exactly a vision... er. voice of fright.

Where was Burgundy? She was a lot more awe inspiring than her. Merlot found herself half wishing that she'd come out with Zinfandel. That woman was a terror with her wild hair and fearsome servants. Surely, she would have had the man and his dog pinned against the wall in fright if she'd come along.

Hoping and wishing wasn't going to do her any good now. This meek act (act, heh she was all meekness, even when she wasn't scared) was keeping her breathing, so she'd keep at it. She grabbed a handfull of robe in each hand and bent her knees slightly so she'd stop feeling like she needed to run. Maybe if Zinfandel was waiting behind her instead of Burgundy...

She took a deep breath after he finished with the questions and thanked any gods that might be watching that he couldn't see in the dark. "Yes, my name is Merlot," she took another deep breath, for a second unsure of whether or not she should truthfully answer the next two questions. She had no desire to sprout quarrels or have the dog after her again. The first one she'd have to answer truthfully, at the least, she'd offered to help him see in the dark and that took skill in magic.

"I'm... I am a magic user," she gulped and pulled more fabric into her fists. "Not a dangerous one though..." Nice one...idiot, now you'll have him wondering why you needed to point that out. She winced and let go of her robe, rubbing her sweaty hands together. "And it's just me, I heard a noise and went to see what it was."

Anonymous

((Zzzzzzzzzzzz...

Delaying until something wakes Teylud up))

Anonymous

(Curses! Sorry for the uber-late post but I was bogged down with exams, and a writer's block that could crush a rhino. If I haven't posted by tomorrow, assume that I'm dead. And carry on regardless.)

Anonymous

((You guys aren't waiting for me are you? I thought I'd let the scene with Blacksticks and Merlot play itself out before I let Yones stumble in there, but I'm hoping I didn't end up killing the thread!))

Anonymous

(No, I wasn't waiting. I just lost my internet connection for two weeks. Sorry, all.

And as for the stumbling in part, I'm not sure. I had originally planned for the library and the catacombs to be seperated by a wall, that being close enough to be odd. I didn't think that the castle basements and the catacombs would be directly linked by a corridor or something. That would be somewhat nonsensical, seeing as the castle is just about the center of the anti-magic movement. Why would it be connected to the magician's hideout?

I was going to have Blacksticks destroy the wall with some kind of magical explosive. Or something along those lines, I've been away for a while.)

Anonymous

((I think that's how I figured it -- when you're ready, blow up the wall and Yones and Teylud'll come running.))

Anonymous

((OOC: *poke* Is this dead?))