Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Stranger in a Strange Land [Aeyt!]

Started by Rhindeer, September 19, 2017, 06:36:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rhindeer

With the crowd on the streets pressed all around her, Niamh was oblivious to her two new "friends". It wasn't that she was being careless; after all the drama of the other day, she made sure to watch her surroundings extra carefully, and keep an eye out for shady characters. Perhaps that was the problem.

The two following her certainly didn't look shady.

She had no real destination in mind. The city was new for her, so she wasn't sure where everything was. An armory, maybe. She had a bladed staff back at the temple and she knew how to use it, but she needed something smaller, a dagger or something that she could carry with her at all times for protection. She would need it in this lawless place, if her first couple days here had taught her anything.

Now, where did they keep such a place in this maze of a city?

Cerenis was larger than any town she was used to. Her own village had been small enough to know everyone's name and everyone's business, but this place was filled with strangers and more strangers. A few days ago, she had been feeling fairly confident and excited about being in a new place with a fresh start, but now? Her run in with criminals and bureaucrats had taken their toll, made her feel a little less safe, made her realize how indifferent the people here were. A tussle had broken out in the street and no one had even paused! Well, except the guard.

No matter. These heathens here were not her friends, and she would just have to take care of herself. And so she kept her eyes and ears open and continued on her way, too proud to ask for directions. Besides, she had to get a feel for the city somehow, and what better way than through exploration?

A building in the distance caught her eye, one with a sign depicting a sword in a sheath. Well! That at least looked promising. Picking up her pace, Niamh darted across the street and into the building--

Which was...very strange for an armory.

Incense filled her nose, and smoke filled her eyes as she stared about the dimly lit building. When her vision adjusted, she saw that there were people there, too, lounging in chairs and settees in a room just beyond her, and...

...Were those half-naked ladies?

Those were half-naked ladies, seated in the laps of dressed-down men.

With a small squeak, her face bursting into flames to rival her God, Niamh did a swift about-face and ran right into the burly chest of a man she hadn't known was there.

"Hey there, sweetheart. You lookin' for a job?" he asked as she jerked back in horror.
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

Aeytrious

"I don't know if we could use her Danny." A thin, dark skinned whore, with narrow hips and small tits had a disapproving look as she circled Niamh, plucking at her religious garb. Another whore, with pale skin and paler hair approached from the other side. Her large, unbound breasts jiggled lightly as she circled Niamh, reaching out to touch her hair and skin. "Some men like that whole prudish religious thing, and she has good hygiene." A third whore, clearly older, but still a stunning beauty, with bronze skin and bright green hair and eyes, blew pungent smoke at Niamh as she eyed the girl. "I think the little trollop is just lost, probably thought we actually sold swords here. Should I fetch the Madam missy, or are you going to skidaddle?"
        It was at this moment that a regular customer walked in and saw Niamh. He definitely liked the look of her. She was definitely his type. "Wow! New girl? She's pretty! I like the religious theme. How much? Do you have a private room, or do you use the communal theater. I'm okay with either, but I do prefer the private rooms. That robe looks so authentic. I love it!"
Guild
The Soot Wolves

Characters
Ryk/Theodore/Rufus
ArjanDirkElijahGeldGulliusHiram
HerewardKheelanKurohanaLex
MalilaMelyndariaMowellesaQuinnlyn
SehrayanahTiberiusValencia
Ritousaey

Rhindeer

"It IS authentic!" Niamh blurted out, at a loss for what else to even say, much less low to react. How did this have anything to do with weapons?! Why were there so many naked people? Was this guy hitting on her? Oh God, he was propositioning her, wasn't he? Communal theater? Private room? What the...

What the fuck even was this den of iniquity?

Face red, Niamh tried to maneuver herself away from the three whores and the man, and did her best not to brush against the women as she did, as though afraid of their nudity. Which she was. She did her best to look only at their faces. "I...I...what the one lady said," she managed to sputter. "The part about swords. I thought...I thought you had, um, swords." An awkward glance at the man. "Steel swords. The kind that slice."
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

Aeytrious

The first whore laughed at Niamh's response and the second one looked disappointed. The third and older whore rolled her eyes and tossed her hair before motioning at the regular with her pipe. Danny quickly caught on and separated the man from Niamh, the two younger whores pulling the client further into the brothel. The older whore took another long drag from her long slender pipe, holding it in her lungs before blowing the smoke in Niamh's direction again. The pungent, almost sour smelling smoke, seemed to wind its way around Niamh, clinging to her clothes and hair, seeking to enter her nose and mouth.
        "You're in the wrong part of town little mouse," the woman said, leaning close to Niamh. Her teeth were in surprisingly good condition, and her breath though smoky, didn't have the usual decay one expected from a lifelong smoker. "You're in the part of the city where people look for escape from their lives. If you want the tools to take a life, you'll need to go a few streets over. Toward the garrison. She sucked on her pipe again, reveling in the high it gave her, her smile growing more deranged. She let the smoke out slowly, and again it swirled around Niamh in an almost mystical way. "Danny, give the girl directions."
        "Yes Fanny," the big man said, leading Niamh outside. He gave her some easy directions to follow, and sent the girl on her way.
Guild
The Soot Wolves

Characters
Ryk/Theodore/Rufus
Ritousaey

Rhindeer

Niamh couldn't have left fast enough. As soon as the man finished giving her directions, she squeaked out a quick, "Thanks!" and practically bolted away from the vile place, as though staying longer would infect her. She brushed and smacked at her clothes as she went; she could smell the stench of whatever that lady was smoking as it clung to her clothes and hair. Disgusting. So gross. She could feel its sourness in her throat and she coughed, knowing she was probably overreacting, but her skin felt itchy and everything felt wrong.

This city was a nightmare. She would never be able to let her guard down here, with how easy it was to stumble from one debauched situation to another. She had to stay on her toes, keep alert.

...She kind of even wanted to go home.

But there was no way she could give up, and there was nothing for her back home but a life she didn't want. This was all a test. She was being tested, and she just had to persevere. That was all. She could do this. Though she wasn't quite sure what "this" was anymore. Everyone here seemed so beyond reaching.

Danny's instructions, thankfully, were simple enough, and she soon found the garrison and nearby, a smithy. Picking up her pace, and praying to the Light that this was the correct place and not another hidden brothel or something (she could see a smoking forge and an anvil, and there were weapons, but who knows!), she stepped up and looked about for the blacksmith. "Ah, hello?"

Aeytrious

The ringing of hammer on anvil in the forge room did not cease as a large man with a steel mask came through a curtain that separated the showroom from the workspace. He was nearly two and a half meters tall and had to stoop to get under the doorway. He wore a dark brown long sleeved shirt and what appeared to be leather overalls. More smock than apron, the covering protected the entirety of the shoulders and chest all the way down to mid calf. His boots were a dark leather that still had a decent amount of shine, though they were covered in scuffs and burns. The iron plates on their soles clicked across the slate floor as he walked, and the exterior steel toe looked dangerous for any unprotected shins. His hands were protected by thick leather gloves that looked to have seen a fair amount of use. The tools stowed in the pockets of his apron though smudged from recent use, looked much better maintained than his attire, and the small adamantite hammer that he set on the counter, small in comparison to the man's massive hands, gleamed as though it were a display piece, rather than the well used tool it was.
        "Welcome to Big Mac's Weapon Emporium," the man's voice came out in a low and slow tumble, that evoked the feeling of boulders settling into place. From behind the protective mask his booming voice echoed metallically. "How can we be of service." The droning sound of hammer to metal paused momentarily, only to continue shortly after.
Guild
The Soot Wolves

Characters
Ryk/Theodore/Rufus
Ritousaey

Rhindeer

...Holy Light.

Here she thought many of her own people grew tall, but this man was a mountain, and he sounded like one, too.

Niamh took a step back without realizing it, instinctively putting a bit more space between them so she felt a little less loomed over. The guy didn't even have to try to loom, he just did. He may not have been trying to look intimidating (or maybe he was), but between his sheer size and the mask, it was a little uncomfortable.

She stared for a moment, realized she was staring, and cleared her throat and puffed out her chest. Right. Weapons. She was here for a weapon, so she needed to act like she could actually use one. "I've come for a knife," she said, then winced at how stupid that sounded. "I mean, a dagger. You sell those here, right? Actual daggers and swords and things, like real ones? Not the innuendo sort but real physical ones you stab things with?"

She felt she needed to be perfectly clear on this, so there was zero room for misinterpretation.

Aeytrious

The giant of a man didn't notice Niamh take a step back. What he did notice was her stumbling over her need to buy a dagger. And what was that about innuendo? He was thoroughly confused by her rambling, and a tilt of his head was all that signaled that confusion. He didn't linger on it though, instead moving out from behind the counter into the showroom proper, that Niamh was standing in. All around them were swords and daggers and hammers and axes and halberds and maces and, you get the picture. It was a proper weapon showroom, with every sort of death implement you could imagine. There were even some spiked gauntlets and bladed shields in the mix, but no armor. Big Mac didn't make armor, just the finest arms a prospective wielder of weapons could want.
        The man led Niamh to a nearby display that held a wide assortment of small pointed stabby implements one might call a dagger. Some were more shiv like, others a bit more like a kunai, some dirks, and even long knives. Here there were also more traditional daggers, made from a wide array of materials, with different hilt types and different cross guards or pommels. It was a veritable cornucopia of slicing, dicing, and stabbing tools.
        "If anything catches the eye, I'll be happy to give you a detailed description of the weapons specifications." The large man stepped back to give Niamh more space but in doing so he bumped a display of halberds that created a chain reaction of weapons falling, and a cacophony of bangs and clangs. The big man froze up, in apparent anxiety and began quickly trying to clean his mess, but the banging on the anvil in the back had stopped. Soon after a large hammer came lumbering out of the forge room, or so it appeared from an angle where you couldn't see over the counter. As the hammer rounded the corner it was seen to be wielded by a diminutive woman half its size. She hung it in a yoke on the wall and continued over toward the mountain of a man. Up close Niamh could see that the bite size woman had a fuming expression on her cherubim face. Her golden hair was pulled up in a tight bun and covered with a net. Her purple eyes had a sharp gaze as she glared at the man, and her forge tanned skin shown with sweat from working her forge.
        "What in the Five Steps of Torment have you done Melvin," the woman's squeeky voice came out almost cute but mostly shrill. "This is the third time this month! The third time! And it's only six days into it!"
        "I'm sorry Mac," the big man said defeated. "It was an accident."
        "Of course it was an accident! If I thought you knocked over my displays on purpose you'd be out on your ass so fast you'd see visions of the Nine Voids." Big Mac stood tapping her toe, looking up at Melvin. "And take that mask off when you're taking care of the customers." As she said this, Melvin reached up to remove his protective shield, revealing the large singular eye of a cyclops. "If you weren't so great at working a forge, I wouldn't keep a klutz like you around Melvin. But you're a genius and I'll make you the best to ever live, as long as you don't knock the place down first. Now off with you. Finish that piece. It's been cooling far too long." As Melvin the cyclops lumbered off to the forge, picking up his little hammer on the way, the half a meter tall "Big" Mac turned her attention toward Niamh. With a better look at her, it was easy to see that under all that soot, she was delightfully pretty. With a slight pink tinge to her skin and slightly pointed winged ears. Her tiny nose twitched, almost rodent like, and a welcoming smile spread across her face.
        "Sorry about all that," Big Mac said in a delightfully tinkling voice. It was like the gentle flow of a stream across pebbles. So much different than the staccato she had berated Melvin with. I'm Mackenzie Surestrike, owner and proprietor of this fine establishment." As she spoke a few assistants came out and began cleaning Melvins mess. A dwarf, an elf, and two humans, they only spared Niamh a momentary glance as they went about their work. "What is it that I can help you with today?"
Guild
The Soot Wolves

Characters
Ryk/Theodore/Rufus
Ritousaey

Rhindeer

CRASH!

Niamh hadn't had long to examine all the stabby things when the placed exploded into noise. She let out a yelp and flinched back, covering her ears, and stared in wide-eyed horror as one of the displays clattered to the ground and knocked over other displays with it. It was quite lucky no one was close enough for anything to fall onto them, otherwise the mess would have been a little more...red.

Oh, Light, just what she needed, extra attention. She may not have been the one to cause the mess, but judging by the sudden silence in the other room, she was about to bear witness to a reckoning--a thought which was confirmed by the hammer that came marching out--

Which belonged to a tiny, tiny woman who indeed unleashed her wrath onto the big man.

...THAT was "Big Mac"? That little woman had the big guy cowed? A woman so tiny Niamh had at first mistaken her for a child. She couldn't be human--and yet for her size, she had to be strong to wield a hammer that was like twice her size.

Like an ant carrying ten times its body weight.

Awkwardly, Niamh shifted back toward the daggers, feeling like a kid who had walked in on her parents having an argument she wasn't supposed to see. And it was clear who the patriarch in this relationship was--or matriarch, rather. Still, like any horrific accident, it was hard not to watch and so she kept sneaking glances as the big one got a tongue-lashing.

And so it was that she looked back over at the two when Mac ordered the big one to take off his helmet--and she sucked in a breath when she saw he had one eye centered where two eyes should be.

A cyclops?

She had heard legends of such creatures existing, and in those legends they usually ate people.

Awkward.

The woman addressed her then, snapping her from her thoughts, and she swung back around to face her. "Oh, uh, hey," she said with a little wave. "You made all this? It's really nice work. I'm not really looking for anything too fancy, though, just a dagger. Something easy to use for, say...self defense against, y'know, potential stalkers?" She scratched the back of her neck. "Hypothetically speaking."

Aeytrious

Mac listened to the awkward explanation of why her new patron needed a dagger, she took in the religious garb of the woman in front of her, and she knew what would suit Niamh best. "I understand your need," Mac said in her delightful voice, "and I have just the thing." She led Niamh over to a table display, and stepped up on a stool that was set beside it. "I have several different styles here, depending on your taste. I have them in varying materials depending on your need, and budget. And I have a deal with the leather crafter next door, so you can get a discount on a arm sheath so you can keep the blade inside the sleeve of your robes for quick and easy access." Mac picked up a small simple knife, made of steel, sharp on only one side and held it for Niamh to view. "This is my recommendation for someone unfamiliar with weapons. Having a blade on only one side makes it harder to accidentally cut yourself, but the point makes it still useful for stabbing."
Guild
The Soot Wolves

Characters
Ryk/Theodore/Rufus
Ritousaey

Rhindeer

"I'll take it," Niamh said, barely giving Mac time to finish. "That and the sheath. How much?"

It would work. Nice and unassuming, easy to conceal. That was exactly what she needed, and just the sight of it was enough to relieve her, just a little. It was small enough to tuck it under her pillow at night, too, as an added bonus—because with the thief in her Temple and Todorka in her dreams, she wouldn't be sleeping otherwise.

She pulled out her coin purse, ready to dish out coin. "And, uh, on a totally unrelated side note...how much do you know about the 'Wolves'...?"