Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Addicted To Adventure (Whim)

Started by Eckhart_Von_Musel, October 06, 2017, 04:12:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eckhart_Von_Musel

"Oh! Easy there!"

Tiffany held the bag over his head and out of Ewans reach. "You can look, but no touching." he said sternly. "These bags are expensive, and we only have the one." He gave the boy an apologetic smile. "Sorry."

"Is he being a nuisance?"

Tiffany looked down to see Belladonna the cat sitting a few feet away from them. "Not a nuisance at all, no!" he said cheerily. "In fact, he's been very helpful today!"

The familiar licked her paw, and began to clean her ears with it. "Mm-hm." she hummed dismissively. She shot Ewan an odd look. "Eckhart told me you popped up again. Small world, I suppose."

Whim

Ewan was prepared to jump up and try and snatch the bag, but stopped himself short of that with a blush. "A nuissance?" he paused, giving Belladona the stink eye. "And what, exactly, are you doing here? After you went and teleported him all around I don't know why Eckhart even kept you.

"If you'd had stayed instead of making me walk all the way through that filthy swamp I could have solved your silly book you know." The little wizard did want a peek inside the tome, come to think of it. Maladies Most Unusual was probably nothing compared to his own talent, but you never knew. That fungoid cow sure was something, after all.
Awesome avatar by Eckhart_von_Musel

Guilds:
Wyrdwood Academy of Arcane Science

Events:
The Midnight Harvest
Into the Mouth of Qokagax

Characters:
Ewan ap Rhys - once a great sorcerer, now a small boy
Anwen ferch Rhys - scholar of blood magic
Duke Blackthorn - Duke of Dawn and Dusk, Warden of Weal and Woe, and all-around evil faerie
"Kaliam" - magically conjoined apprentice wizards
Maergath - Magister of Soulshaping, necromancer, angry and hateful wizard
Narlis Thordane - Hero for hire, proud and unrepentant scumlord
Niamh Wayrest - trader in forbidden lore, purveyor of curiosities
OLIVER THE BARBARIAN - a very reluctant hero and monster-slayer
Sage Whitechalk - heir to the Whitechalk Family
Saoirse Nettlefield - Headmistress of Wyrdwood, conniving academic

Eckhart_Von_Musel

The cat's wiskers twitched. "Oh? Could you have, really?" she meowed. "If you're so adept at curse-breaking, then why haven't you magicked back into the adult you claim to be?"

"Both of you, be nice." Tiffany crossed his arms, attempting to look stern- an expression the young man was too cute to pull off effectively. "If you two can't get along..."

The cat rolled her eyes. "Yeah yeah, whatever." she meowed. "I'll drop it if he does."

Whim

The boy set his broom aside, glowering at the cat in defiance. "W-well it's hardly a curse! It's just how the spell goes; I like being this way, thank you very much," he really had no complaints otherwise. Not a single physical flaw other than a constant influx of new baby teeth. Those hurt like a bitch and his smile did always have a gap or two. And of course being dirty with hastily cropped hair didn't make his case much.

"If I cared to I could turn into a giant dog and chase you up a tree. I am very good wizard! I worked out a spell to be young and beautiful, uh- cute at least, forever! I can do way more than cow remedies. And if you doubt me? Why don't we have a little duel!" the boy's resolve faltered for a moment. He didn't really meant to say that, did he? Children usually could not reign in their sorcery until puberty, and Ewan was no exception, it was why he needed a wand he did not have. But there was no way he was backing down to some stupid cat! He won seventy nine percent of his bouts as a Blue Ribbon Basilisk. On his third bout he even thrashed that pompous spellsword Kiran and she was five years older! That, and Ewan and had bested dragons as a grownup, and escaped the clutches of a very old hag in his current state.

He cracked a little smirk, bravado returning.

Guilds:

Events:
The Midnight Harvest

Characters:
Duke Blackthorn - Duke of Dawn and Dusk, Warden of Weal and Woe, and all-around evil faerie

Eckhart_Von_Musel

Belladonna gave the child an odd look- a look normally reserved for parents resisting the urge to laugh at their children's mistakes so as not to embarress them. "...Nah." she finally said, tail flicking back and forth. "I don't believe that'd go over very well."

"No, it wouldn't!" Tiffany chimed in cheerily. The young man was smiling as usual, but the twinkle in his eyes was absent. "Remember, Friends don't fight each other!"

Whim

Ewan shot the young man a glance, his expression softening. It was kind of cute. What could Tiffany even do to stop them? Wag his finger? Being beautiful or some object of adoration was wonderful, he loved it, but how could you live without any teeth? Being totally ineffective unless people liked you just seemed so awful.

The raggedy boy picked up his broom and resumed sweeping shit from the cobbles, "Its just a bit of fun and proving better. Its hardly going to be the death.

"But I get it. Those tendrils I called ripped apart your barrier in like three seconds.-" the little wizard could not help himself.

Guilds:

Events:
The Midnight Harvest

Characters:

Eckhart_Von_Musel

Belladonna had opened her mouth to retort, but Tiffany beat her to it. "Ewan, that's enough!" the soft looking boy snapped angrily. "Friends do not discuss power levels! It's rude and it inspires conflict!" He then turned to glare at the cat. "And you! You're an adult, in cat years! You should know better!"

Tiffany would grab Ewan by the shoulder to lead him away. "You," he muttered softly, "...Need to be less confrontational. Especially when you're in this city. Kia only knows how many have lost everything because of remarks like that."

Whim

Ewan shot the cat a tiny smirk at the mutual scolding before Tiffany ushered him off. "I know. I'm supposed to lay low and stuff. And I'm really grateful for you looking after me. Its just-

"She's just obnoxious and has it in her head her, and her ridiculous ex-mistress, are better than me. It wouldn't even bug me if Hildegarde also hadn't set me to work cleaning instead of doing proper sorcery! Everyone ought to be all excited to have me around. Its just- embarrassing." His shoulders sagged, not quite done complaining for the morning.

After a time nobody saw Darkhun. No one ever did, really, not even when he begged and whined and hissed at strangers. But that was a good thing now! He sat and waited and watched until the woman left the store and no one else went in for minutes and minutes. The filthy lizard-man rose from the midden, shook the filth from his scales, and made his way to the Blue Orchid. The creature ducked inside, letting out a keening screen at the sound of the bell, and snuffled about in search of the boy. "H-hello? HELLO! HELLO?! A FLOWER!

"Darkhun needs a FLOWER!"

Guilds:

Events:
The Midnight Harvest

Characters:

Eckhart_Von_Musel

Tiffany gave Ewan a sympathetic look, patting the boy on the shoulder. It was no surprise, really- he was just a child after all. "There's nothing to be embarrassed about." he said reassuringly. "None of us think of you as a burden- especially compared to how bad I was when I got here!"

The pink-haired man laughed, as if putting himself down was the pinnacle of comedy. "You'll get a chance to wow people with your magic soon enough! And I'm sure you'll do wonderfully when you do! But for now, let's focus on keeping you safe, okay?"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The lizard-man's voice echoed through the shop, seemingly unheard amongst the rows of shelves and plants. Had Blue Orchid closed for the day? The door hadn't been locked, and there was still loose change and paperwork on the counter. No there had to be somebody here... right?

"Mmm, a flower you say?"

A tiny voice finally broke the silence. A miniscule woman emerged from a bonsai tree being kept on a nearby table, not even three inches tall. The nymph ran her fingers through her leafy hair as if to straighten it, a bored expression on her face. "Were you looking for a certain flower in particular? We have many different species here, as I'm sure you can see."

Whim

"Sorry. I didn't mean to be a brat. I'm grateful for you keeping me safe and all. I don't mean to be a whiner." he blushed, smiling wide at the display of affection. "So what were you like before you're joined? I mean you're, uh, already now what I'd be expect-"

There come a loud rumble from the boy's stomach. It was high noon now. Golly! Had he been working all morning? The street Tiffany had assigned him as rather pristine, of course, but just how big as their territory? "-Expecting in a thieves guild member. And, er, excuse me." His cheeks turned red.

The lizardman let out a squeal in response to the tiny voice, slitted eyes widening as it danced back, claws raised and frills spread, nearly toppling a shelf! He stood a moment, frozen in fear, before his muscles slackened back into a shuffles hunch. What is this little person? Too little! Could she climb on him and bite his eyes? A wizard? And flowers?! What kind of flowers? Why was Darkhun so stupid? Red flowers? White? But you needed a mate for red? Didn't you?! His heart began to pound, brain trying to weave a plausible story of human social niceties "Is sorry! Scared Darkhun!

"Is looking for white flower. Smell good. Make home pretty!" it snuffled loudly for emphasis, "Little boy said he knew the perfect flower for Darkhun. Had black hair? Was small! Dirty! Had other little friend?"

Guilds:

Events:
The Midnight Harvest

Characters:

Eckhart_Von_Musel

Tiffany sighed. "It's alright." he said kindly. "You're still learning. As for me..."

The young man paused, an oddly depressed look on his face. He opened his mouth, and then closed it as he reached up to touch his necklace. "Hey." he finally said, as if Ewans stomach had awoken him from a deep sleep. "I think I can handle this next block. Why don't you head over to Taza's shop for some lunch? I bet Randal would love to hear how your first day is going!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Easter looked at the strange creature in front of her, one eyebrow raised. "Uh-huh." she said, clearly wishing she was somewhere else. "Well, I'm afraid Randal isn't in today. Is there anything I can help you with, or would you prefer to come back tomorrow?"

Whim

"But-" he let it drop. Tiffany was a mystery to be sure, but a living one. The flicker of pain across Tiffany's face made the Ewan feel awful about the entire thing.

He began to retrace his steps toward the Blue Orchid. The streets were filled with crowds and caravans now. And suddenly from behind he was shoved aside. It belonged a gangly young woman with a pug nose, and bow slung across her back. She wore a rusty breastplate, far too big,, and her mousy hair was tied back in a braid. "Watch it shorty. Places to be."

"Well so do I. More important than playing soldier anyhow. That your da's armor?" he flashed a defiant smirk, almost a reflex.

"What did ya say?" she stopped, turning to face him. She was tall, with ropy muscles on closer inspection. "Something about how pretty I am?"

The scruffy boy stared upward, taking in her full size. You need to be less confrontational. Especially when you're in this city. Kia only knows how many have lost everything because of remarks like that. "You're- you're very pretty..." No spellbook was bad enough. Ewan was usually able to get along well-enough with an impish smile where magic failed. But with these people? He really was naked now. Just another dirty urchin. It took time for that to settle in.

Darkhun's jaw slackened while he pondered the conundrum. He was mad. The black boy and the red boy were meant to be here. Why weren't they?! He wanted to scream and bite the stupid tree-thing. But then he'd get in trouble and get smashed by the lady and her ghost! And he was meant to be a spy. He was meant to be sneaky! "Oh. Will ask for the pretty flower later, yes? Yes! Goodbye!" The lizard-beggar bowed his head in supplication, playing it cool and withdrawing to the front door.

He took in his reflection once more in the store window, pausing to draw his lips back into a silly face. It wasn't that bad, really. It was not so different as turning into a bird or a dog. Bells chimed as the door to the Blue Orchid was pushed ajar. "Hullo? Randal? Tiffany let me go early..." a small voice called out...

Guilds:

Events:
The Midnight Harvest

Characters: