Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Addicted To Adventure (Whim)

Started by Eckhart_Von_Musel, October 06, 2017, 04:12:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eckhart_Von_Musel

"Or make your plants grow real fast." Joan finished, cutting the boy off. She snorted, crossing her arms. "So you're the wiz kid that Gnarly is looking for? Figures." The spectral hand disappeared from the doorway, and she motioned for the two boys to go inside. "Go on then." she said, a demented smile on her face. "Antagonizing him should be fun. I've been looking for a reason to kick that guys ass."

Giving Joan a thankful (albeit frightened) smile, Randal opened the door and motioned for Ewan to follow. The entrance hallway was dimly lit as usual, causing their shadows to look like those of horrible monsters rather then children. "Come on!" Randal exclaimed as he walked up the dark staircase. "Me and Taza live on the second floor."

Whim

Ewan gave Joan a blank stare. It was a really dumb idea to tell everyone his business. The whole city knew! "Well, um, thanks!" he scampered after Randal, leaving a trail of muddy footprints behind. Between the creaky old floorboards, and shadowy interior, it seemed unlikely anyone would notice.

"Next time she pushes you around you should chew some Fellroot. Makes everything look like daemons. Oh! I know a potion hat turns someone into a chicken and makes them lay an egg. I call it Henshade. Drink that and poke her! And why's she so surly anyway?" the boy cackled with a wicked grin, forgetting when and where he was.
Awesome avatar by Eckhart_von_Musel

Guilds:
Wyrdwood Academy of Arcane Science

Events:
The Midnight Harvest
Into the Mouth of Qokagax

Characters:
Ewan ap Rhys - once a great sorcerer, now a small boy
Anwen ferch Rhys - scholar of blood magic
Duke Blackthorn - Duke of Dawn and Dusk, Warden of Weal and Woe, and all-around evil faerie
"Kaliam" - magically conjoined apprentice wizards
Maergath - Magister of Soulshaping, necromancer, angry and hateful wizard
Narlis Thordane - Hero for hire, proud and unrepentant scumlord
Niamh Wayrest - trader in forbidden lore, purveyor of curiosities
OLIVER THE BARBARIAN - a very reluctant hero and monster-slayer
Sage Whitechalk - heir to the Whitechalk Family
Saoirse Nettlefield - Headmistress of Wyrdwood, conniving academic

Eckhart_Von_Musel

"Ewan- pffft!" Randal whined, giggling despite himself. "That's- hahaha- that's mean!"

Reaching the second floor, Randal hurried down the hall. "It's this one!" he said, pointing at Room 204. "This is where me and Taza live! Come on!" The boy opened the door excitedly...

"... So you should definitely find a way to grow cranberries at your shop, yeah."

Taza Faah sat on her couch, staring intently at the boy across from her. In the week he'd been here, Taza had found herself getting increasingly attached to the younger Von Musel. The healer had proven himself not only to be good at herbs, but at cooking too- one of the drug dealer's favorite pastimes. "I don't know, Eckhart." she said, smiling. "I like the idea, but we'd need to miniaturize an entire bog. That's... Difficult to do."

Eckhart frown, scratching his head. "Maybe Porcelina could-"

"Taza!"

The woman looked towards the now open door to see Randal and another boy walking into the room. "You said you were gonna take a nap, not talk to Eckhart!"

Taza rolled her eyes, grinning. "I did take a nap. Then I woke up and started talking to Eckhart. Calm down."

Eckhart narrowed his eyes. "Wait... Ewan?" The healer blinked. "I thought you were going to Arca! What are you doing here?"

Whim

"Well me and another kid did end up going to Arca. We got separated and some bandits tossed me in a cage. Then I got sold to a witch called Isaura; she stole my magic and made me pull weeds. Me and this elf-girl did a spell to make her garden carnivorous! We escaped, and here I am." Ewan beamed with excitement, counting off the legs of his journey on stubby fingers. Now that he was safe, or felt safe, it all seemed like some fun adventure. Muddy stockings squished across the floor to greet his friend. "But how did you get here? That stupid, smelly -  um - that cat stole you away. I wanted to follow. I would have!"

Only then did Taza and Randal register. The boy offered a sheepish, gap-toothed smile, "Sorry. My name's Ewan. I was just going to trade Randal this necklace because I need fresh clothes. I hope its okay." He spread his arms as if the tattered silk shirt and pantaloons spoke for themselves. Somehow it felt right to frame the whole thing as a business transaction, rather than Randal doing him a kindness. Poison-peddling florists probably have something to prove, after all.

Guilds:

Events:
The Midnight Harvest

Characters:
Duke Blackthorn - Duke of Dawn and Dusk, Warden of Weal and Woe, and all-around evil faerie

Eckhart_Von_Musel

Eckhart blinked stupidly. "Sweet Ansgar, he's been through as much as I have..." The healer scratched the back of his head. "Um... Well first, I, uh..."

Taza held up her hand, motioning for him to stop. "If you'll excuse me..." She glanced at Eckhart, who nodded. "You said Isaura made you pull weeds?" She smiled warmly at the boy, not wanting to scare him. "It's really sweet of you to want to trade your necklace, but... You'll need more than fresh clothes to stay hidden."

Randal bounced on his heels. "That one dwarven hero guy showed up at the shop looking for him! I made him leave though, heroes don't deserve flowers."

Taza gave her apprentice a worried look. "Good job! I'm proud of you, that was a smart move." Randal's ears flushed red, and the woman focused her attention back on Ewan. "Do you have a home you can go back to? Someplace safe?"

Whim

"Wouldn't have escaped without him!" A playful punch in the arm served as a thank you to Randal. "You're not, uh, suggesting Eckhart rearrange my face or anything are you? Because I reversed her magic-stealing brand. Randal said you might be able to help me get a new wand? I could fight her off easy with it.

"And that necklace isn't mine. I stole it." Ewan gave a proud little smile, as if having tended sheep on his own for the first time. It was pretty good for someone who never had to resort to trickery before, really. Being a kid on your own is hard. "I'm from Serendipity but I can look after myself. I'm way older than I look, and a pretty great mage. Eckhart can tell you." Besides the whole cow-tree hybrid Eckhart could mostly vouch for him, right? He said smart things, and made all those tree roots come alive to stop Belladona.

Guilds:

Events:
The Midnight Harvest

Characters:

Eckhart_Von_Musel

Eckhart gave Ewan a confused look. "Rearrange his face? What in Ansgar's name is he talking about?"

Glancing over, he saw Taza looking at him, one eyebrow raised. "So..." she said. "How do you know him, exactly?"

The healer scratched the back of his head. "Um, I met him around the time I met Bella... I was gonna make him my apprentice, I think?" He looked at Ewan sheepishly. "Ah, you did kinda botch that one recipe and get us chased out of town..."

Eckhart suddenly crossed his arms. "Wait, are you still telling people you're, like, thirty something?" He shook his head. "Sweet Ansgar, that's gonna get you in trouble someday..."

Randal stamped his foot on the ground. "Nuh-uh! It's not gonna get him in trouble if it's true!"

Whim

Ewan rolled his eyes with a long, impatient sigh. Okay. Maybe he hadn't left such a strong impression on the meek healer. At least Randal believed him. Though the loyalty of another kid against a pair of grownups was hardly helpful. "How should I prove it, then? Do you want a magic trick? Or how about a joke?

"What hangs at a man's thigh, and wants to poke the hole its often poked before?" Ewan's wicked grin melted away almost immediately. The boy was red enough to be an apple, withering beneath the stares. "Its, um, a key..." In theory it seemed a fine way to prove the little wizard was mature and respectable.

Guilds:

Events:
The Midnight Harvest

Characters:

Eckhart_Von_Musel

Taza gave the boy a very stern look. "Ewan, we don't tell jokes like that here." she said firmly. "It's rude." 

"Taza, I don't get it." Randal said, brows furrowed. "Of course it's a key! Why is that funny?"

"The joke went flaccid." Eckhat said flatly. Almost immediately he covered his mouth with his hands, face flushed bright red. "Oh Ansgar, did I say that out loud?"

Taza glared at the healer, arms held up as if to ask what was wrong with him. Finally she sighed, and gave Randal an exasperated smile. "I'll explain when you're older." Focusing back on Ewan, her smile grew more reassuring. "Now, do you have someplace you can stay? You got a little distracted there, bucko."

Whim

Ewan smirked at Eckhart, but found himself wilting beneath Taza's gaze. "But you and Randal sell-!" the boy cut himself off, not wanting to let on too much. But really, they sell and smuggle dangerous plants but can't a joke?!

"I'm from a mage school called Wyrdwood, and my family's in Ravensway. I'm supposed to be seeing the world and mastering life magic." There was no way he was going back to school, or home for that matter, not like this and not yet. "So I guess I don't." The little wizard heaved a sigh, eyes downcast, mostly for a bit of sympathy. He was hungry and wanted clean clothes.

Guilds:

Events:
The Midnight Harvest

Characters:

Eckhart_Von_Musel

Taza smiled gently. "Wyrdwood, huh? That's a long ways away, you must have had quite the adventure!"

Eckhart scratched the back of his head. "Y'know, when I first got to Serendipity I actually looked into Wyrdwood. I'm way too old to attend though..." 

The drug dealer shrugged. "If it's any consolation, what little I've heard about the school's culture makes it seem really competitive- you'd probably hate it there." She returned her gaze to Ewan, biting her lower lip thoughtfully. "Unfortunately I'm not the decision maker here, but I suppose you could ask Lady Hildegarde about tagging along with us for the time being."

Randal flashed a smirk at Taza, then broke out a huge grin. "Aw, Ewan you should totally do that! It'd be, like, a sleepover! I've always wanted to have a sleepover!"

Whim

"Sure you don't want a demonstration of my magic? You can go to Wyrdwood and you'll see I'm telling the truth!" Ewan flashed a wicked grin at Eckhart, tracing the shape of an arcane sigil in the air. "And you can join Randal's party for that matter." The poor kid could use a friend, and really, he was good company. Ewan recalled his neices and nephews being annoying by comparison...

"And I could really stay on for a bit? I just need to lay low until I can get some money and a proper wand. Bet that dumb dwarf will just forget me. I won't be any trouble. I could help Randal with your garden, or, uh..." A faint look of concern crossed his case. One more no and he might get turned out again. "So I'll need to ask, um, a Lady Hildegarde? Does she own your shop?" How else to ask if she sold their illegal herbs?

Guilds:

Events:
The Midnight Harvest

Characters:

Eckhart_Von_Musel

Eckhart chuckled, shaking his head. "I'm fine, but thanks anyway."

Taza smiled gently. "Randal, why don't you show Ewan upstairs? Hildegarde shouldn't be too busy, unless she's..." The woman paused, as if trying to pick the best words for what she was about to say. "...spending quality time with Timothy." she finished, half-smirking.

Eckhart squinted. "Um... isn't his name Thomas?"

"His name is Todd!" Randal exclaimed, albeit looking very unsure of himself. If Ewan would allow it, Randal would take him by the hand and lead him out the door. "C'mon! She's nice, I'm sure she'll like you!"

"Tell her that you're a friend of mine!" Eckhart called after them. "I garuntee she'll let you stay if you do!"

Whim

Quality time with Timothy. Ewan had an inkling of what they meant, but thought better of asking as he padded after Randal. "Thanks for sticking up for me," he offered a smile. "Not many kids your-, uh, -our age around Zantaric? Or does being a big villain scare them off?" Or more likely Taza kept prying eyes away. She was too young to be his real mother.

The pair tromped up the creaky stairs and down a hallway. His heart started to pound. What if he got her mad? What if she gave him to Narlis and he got sold to some witch who kept him in a cage forever?! Ewan came to a halt, fidgeting a little. "Um, what's she like anyway? I just tell her I'm Eckhart's friend and it will be fine?"

Guilds:

Events:
The Midnight Harvest

Characters:

Eckhart_Von_Musel

Randal beamed as the two boys went up the staircase, thinking of how great having a friend his age would be. "Now I'll have somebody to play marbles with!" he thught excitedly. "And my chores won't be as hard because Ewan can help! Oh Kia, this is gonna be so awesome." 

He turned to face the young wizard, walking backwards down the hall. "You don't gotta worry about a thing!" he said cheerily. "She's super friendly, even Porcelina likes her!" Stopping at room 313, he knocked on the door excitedly. "Lady Hildegarde!" he called. I made a new friend, Taza says you gotta meet 'im!"

A loud *clunk* could be heard from the room, as well as hushed whispering. After a minute, the door opened to reveal a blonde young woman in a frilly pink dress. Her normally well groomed hair was looking rather disheveled, and her dress was slightly wrinkled- as if it had just been on the floor moments earlier. She smiled at the two boys, a warm glow about her. "Hello Randal~!" she sang cheerily. Her gaze fixed on Ewan, and her smile grew. "And who might you be?"

Whim

Ewan's eyes widened at the sight of Hildegarde. She looked nothing like he pictured. No scary scars, no tattoos, no eyepatches, no knives strapped every which where, and that dress! Were these really criminals? And oh gosh her hair had she just-!? Ewan burst into uncontrollable , nervous gigglese sight of her. Stop laughing dumby!

It took a sharp poke in the back by Randal to shut him up.

"It's nice to meet you. I'm Ewan. Um-," deep breath. Slooow. "I just escaped from a witch called Lady Selwyn, but she's got some guys after me. I bumped into Randal and he thought I could tag along with you and your, um, friends? I'm a wizard and bet I could  help somehow! It's just until I get money to travel."

His eyes darted in a panic from Randal to the young woman. It was real stupid to laugh. And then it hit him. The fine face. The fair hair. "And Eckhart said to say we're friends. I know him from way back. are you guys, um-?"

Guilds:

Events:
The Midnight Harvest

Characters:

Eckhart_Von_Musel

Hildegarde's mouth thinned slightly at the boy's laughter, then perked back up. "You don't know what he's laughing at." she reminded herself. "He's a kid. He probably just thought of a joke or something." Randal gave her a wink, and a rush of understanding washed over her. "You clever little shit. You got him to think that joining up was his idea, didn't you?"

She ran her hand through her hair, smoothing it out. "Well, that's no good." the gang leader said, eyes twinkling. "Any friend of my kid brother is a Friend of mine." Turning around, she walked inside her room, motioning for the two boys to follow.

Hildegarde's living room was unusually plain, considering her status. It had the basic necessities- a couch, a small kitchen, and a wine cabinet. Watercolor paintings hung from the walls, all of them depicting landscapes of some kind. A desk with a large chemistry set sat in the back of the room, bubbling peacefully. Pink throw pillows lay on the floor and couch. A single stick of incense burned slowly on the kitchen counter, giving the air an oddly sweet smell.

Waltzing to her desk, Hildegarde flopped into her chair. She propped her feet on the desk lazily, arms behind her head. "Take a seat, guys." she said, motioning to the pillows on the floor. Randal immediately sat down, beaming happily. The pink-clad woman looked at Ewan, one eyebrow raised. "So, Selwyn huh? I know her, nasty piece of work. Just nasty. Who'd she send after you? The Black Crows?"

Whim

Ewan toddled slowly after Hildegarde and Randal, taking in her quarters. It was all so ordinary. No loot or plunder at all. Big blue eyes lingered on the chemistry set before awkwardly taking a seat on the throw pillow. His stockings were dry but the boy had the look of a doll dropped int the mud.

"I didnt see her much but her familiar was real mean. He made me take and clean and tried to turn me into a mouse! I barely saw Lady Selwyn but she put some weird mark on me that took my magic away." The boy flailed his arms, retelling the adventure as if some exciting story. "It's the Grimguts who are after me. They're pretty scary and have lots of magic stuff. Busted down all the treants that helped us escape. I don't even know if Lady Selwyn is alive! Some greedy old dwarf leads them. Wears chopped off dragon wings. Randal's seen him! Gnarly or something?

"I bet they just want to sell me." His voice almost beamed with pride. It was kind of nice to still be important enough to kill over. "Not that you gotta pay them off. But I really can help! Like with your alchemy! Is that, um, essence of dryad?" he craned his neck to gawk at the chemist's set; it was hard to tell but the room kind of smelled nice...

Guilds:

Events:
The Midnight Harvest

Characters:

Eckhart_Von_Musel

"Ugh, Narlis?" Hildegarde threw back her head, an exasperated groan escaping her lips. "Another piece of work. Fuckin' magic items and potions up the ass." She crossed her arms, glancing to the side. "Seriously, who actually carries potions around with them? Cheaters, that's who!"

"And Joan." said the teenage boy at Hildegarde's side. "Joan carries potions."

The pink clad woman huffed. "Yeah, don't remind me..." Straightening up, she gazed at the rather mucky looking boy in front of her. "Hmm. Yeah, I could probably find something for you  to do." Her demeanor abruptly seemed to shift. "Hey, how do you feel about killing?" she said, sounding incredibly serious. "Like, murderering other kids and stuff." 

Randal gave the woman a knowing smirk, then looked as his friend expectantly...

Whim

"I was a great duelist at Wyrdwood!" Ewan beamed at Hildegarde's remark. "I mean I guess you're allowed to use weapons you don't smith, but you ought to use your own magic. It's a thinking game!"

The boy almost did a double-take when the teenager showed up. How could he forget Hildegarde had a... guest? But at her question his stomach fell. With eyes wide as saucers he glanced from Randal to Hildegarde. Oh-gosh-what-do-I-say? His cheeks and ears were on fire, heart pounding. "Um, well-I'm-really-not-very-big-and-my-magic-isn't-so-strong-anymore-and-" Deep breathe. It was just a silly girl who smuggled things, and he was still a great wizard. If he was big he'd implant those modified gut-worm eggs into everybody and they'd explode into copies of him! The little sorcerer pursed his lips in defiance. "And I don't think that's such a good idea. I could help deliver messages or clean or something?"

Guilds:

Events:
The Midnight Harvest

Characters:

Tags: