Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

New People, New Home, New Life

Started by PumpkinSwift, October 24, 2017, 07:33:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kalak8538

"Oh? And what exactly is that?"

The armored man was completely upright now, yet still bound. His suspicion had been confirmed. There was something special about that blindfold, but he did not know what. He had seen many different magics in his travels, and knew how to handle most of them, even without his shield. The only hard part was not knowing...

"Is it more appropriate than a dagger? I'm here. You have me."

PumpkinSwift

Maria froze, unsure of herself. The man was trying to bait her out, which seemed, strange. Knowing this man to be an experienced bounty hunter, she wasn't sure if he was bluffing or if he had an actual plan.

A bluff didn't seem to be a smart course of action, and he didn't seem like man with a death wish. So Maria racked her brain for what he could be planning. What did he have to gain from this? Maybe he was trying to bait her closer? But he knew she could attack from a range...

Once Maria failed to piece together his plan, she took a step forward. She summoned two long tendrils of water from the surrounding ice, sharp at the edges and aimed them at her captive's neck. Her fingers gripped the cloth of her blindfold tighter, ready to yank it down at a moment's notice. All of her snakes stood on end, hissing at the armored man.

"Last chance. Give up or die."

Kalak8538

The man let out a gruff exhale in defiance. His expression was as stalwart as his form, unfazed even in what seemed like a dire situation.

"Here's the thing, princess..." he growled.

"I give up, and I go without pay. That's a much slower death."

PumpkinSwift

Maria grit her teeth. She was really banking on him giving after her little bit of intimidation.

She wasn't sure what to do, bit she couldn't let him think she was trying to weasel out of this. Her threat couldn't seem empty.

"I can make this as slow as you like, Knight in Shining Armor."

With that, she shot one of her tendrils of water into the leather patch of his armor, aiming to wound, not kill.

Kalak8538

Restrained and weighed down by heavy armor, there was nothing the hunter could realistically do to evade or deflect his former prey's attack. He took the full brunt of it. His teeth gritted together and hands squeezed each other behind his back.

He resisted falling back onto the ground, but only just barely. The man's great constitution allowed him somewhat to stand the piercing bite of the tendril as it entered his flesh. Defiantly, he stayed on both feet, doubled over as much as the armor would allow. He stared down at the snow-laden earth as drops of blood fell onto it.

PumpkinSwift

Maria's breath caught in her throat. She hadn't expected him to take the hit. After seeing him as such a threat, she had expected him to avoid the attack.

Maria grit her teeth, hands shaking. She retracted the tendril from the armored man, and summoned another one from the surrounding air.

"This can stop whenever you want it to."

The sound of the water whizzing through the air was unnaturally satisfying.

It made Maria's stomach turn.

Kalak8538

The man straightened himself, looking directly at the blindfold of the creature before him. A determined look remained despite his situation and injury. He still considered this one to be his quarry. He took a single step forward, more for balance than to advance. A light chuckle began from his stomach as an uncharacteristic smirk formed on his face.

"You know, I've never questioned this work before today...
Those stiffs of Connlaoth need someone caught, and I bring them in. That's that."

The man flattened more snow with a second heavy step. The injury causing him to falter and steady out his stance.

"But now I see what scares them so much...
They're afraid of something like this getting loose in the world."

PumpkinSwift

Maria scowled.

"Are you KIDDING me?! I've spent so. Much. Time. Trying to find a way to not kill you, and this is the thanks I get?"

Maria fumed. This wasn't getting her anywhere. This man was to stubborn to even begin to rethink what he'd done to her. Well, so be it. She was tired of this. She had people who were important to her she needed to protect.

"I'm done with this. DIE."

Maria summoned a swarm of water tendrils, each reeling upeard and preparing to plunge into her adversary's flesh.

"Maria! Wait!"

Maria nearly jumped out of her skin. Sometime during the fight, Addison had woke up, and she had put herself in front of the armored man.

"Addison get out of my way! If I don't finish this now, hell kill both of us!" Maria yelled, banishing her arcane blades.

"Maria, if you do this, you'll never forgive yourself." Addison looked straight into Maria's eyes. "I can't let you do that to yourself."

Maria was stunned, far to surprised to formulate an adequate response. Unfortunately, in all the commotion, the armored man had completely been forgotten.

Kalak8538

The man readied his stance for what was to come. His plan to aggravate his captor had worked, coaxing her into recklessness. He knew his timing and movements had to be perfect, as it had been on similar previous occasions. The hunter was set. Although he would not show it, he was ready for this.

At a moment before, something happened the man had not expected. The other had woken up, shielding him to deter the coming attack. An opportunity presented itself then. Not the one he was waiting for, but an opportunity nonetheless. The rope that bound his hands landed on the snow behind his heels. They had been cut as the two were talking. The hidden blade that cut them was exposed now, as he moved forward towards the one that shielded him.

"Got you." said the mercenary, grappling the woman with his heavy arms. The razor edge of the blade rested softly against the carotid artery.

"A slip of this knife, and you'll never stop the blood. I've had enough games. Surrender yourself, and this one can go back home."

The man contemplated in the back of his mind if it was still worth it to take his prey alive. Of course, he would be paid more. Still, this one was quite strong-willed. With all the trouble she had already put him through, further escape attempts would only make the journey more arduous. He shot a glimpse at the shield that rested on the nearby tree. He would need it if his new hostage proved useless...

PumpkinSwift

Maria was stunned. In just a few moments, she had gone from being in control of the situation to being at a complete loss.

She managed to choke out her companion's name, desperate for a way out. Addison looked back at her, terror in her eyes.

Maria couldn't save both of them. Maria couldn't die here. Maria couldn't let her die here.

Maria was lost.

She raised her arm, and swore she saw the man stiffen at her movements.

"Please... Don't do this. Don't put her in the middle of this." Maria felt tears welling up in her eyes. "She doesn't deserve this. I'll do anything, please don't hurt her."

Kalak8538

"I've been more than patient. With the both of you!" he replied with a growl. Despite the obvious frustration in his voice, the blade remained inert.

"You know damn well what I want. We're going over those mountains, I'm dropping you off, and I'm getting paid my due."

Still retaining his stance, he looked over to his belongings. The most prominent one besides the shield was his pack. He signaled to it with his eyes.

"My effects, girl. If I can even still call you that...
There are manacles with a blue symbol on them. Put them on."

The man tensed up. He would exploit this position of power as long as he held it, knowing full well it could be lost at any time. He was far too experienced to believe a trick like this would work indefinitely, but it suited him as long as it worked.

The manacles in question were a common tool many used against spellcasters. Steel shackles, enchanted to suppress magic in their wearer. Only when the he heard them lock closed and saw the rune begin to glow would he know he had his mark's full compliance. Until then, he readied himself for any change in the situation.

"You know what happens if you do anything else..."

PumpkinSwift

Maria shook. She knew what the man was speaking of. She'd seen those shackles on a few mages during her time in Connlaoth. Once she put those on, she was doomed.

She could never give in. She had to escape. She had to leave Addison.

The thought made her naseos. Giving up Addison to save herself. What type of person would she be if she did that?

She was trapped between two impossible choices. The weight of situation pulled her down. Her throat went dry and clammy. Her stomach twisted into knots. Her hands trembled.

"Addison, I-I, I can't, I-"

Tears rolled down the young girls cheeks. She wasn't ready for this. She couldn't handle this. She fell to her knees, sobbing, completely forgetting the mortal peril she was in. Her sobbing and shrieking snakes made a horrible cacophony of tears.

Kalak8538

It was truly a horrific picture to behold. The mass of writhing and wailing snakes before him was a sight that would utterly repulse others. Even the hardened brute with his hostage found himself fighting the urge to cringe.

Fight it he did, though. He steeled himself against what lay before him and tightened his grip.
"Enough of that. Get up! Move! You two have tried my patience enough! I'm being very generous letting the both of you live after all this! Now go, before I realize that's not worth it!"

PumpkinSwift

Maria shook heavily, telling herself to just breathe. Just. Breathe.

She tried to run over everything again in her mind, but still got caught on the same thing. She was stuck.

"I've never understood you humans." A terrible, raspy voice said. It was him. The demon.

Maria swing her head to look at her benefactor. He was a tall beast, over ten feet most likely. His body was shriveled and pale, his ribs poking several inches through his skin, blood trickling out of the ever present wounds. His head was flayed, showing his skull, covered by just a few tendons. He had three horns poking.out.of his head, each engulfed in putrid black flames. Under his torso we're two twin serpentine legs, armed with talons at their ends.

Maria was shocked. She hadn't expected him to show up again, and not here of all places. What would Addison think of her? Even the armored man would be disgusted with her deal.

She turned to the pair to find... Nothing. Just blank emptiness, as far as her eye could see.

"We're in your mind. Once we're out, it'll be like.nothing happened at all. I wanted us to be able to have our chat, undisturbed." The demon answered her question without her asking.

"How are you here?" Maria asked, almost yelling.

"Maria, dear, you sold me your soul. Did you honestly think you'd never see me again?" The demon chuckled.

Maria was silent. The demon let out a sigh. "Anyway, back to the issue at hand. Are you going to kill Talbot or not?"

Maria's head snapped up. "I... Is that his name? Talbot?" The demon nodded. Somehow knowing that made her situation even worse. "I... I don't know. If I do, hell kill Addison."

"Yes, that seems to be the issue." The demon snarked.

"I... I don't know if I can do it. But if I don't..." Maria trailed off.

The demon was silent for a moment. "Maria, dear, I honestly couldn't give less of a damn about your moral dillema. All I care about is my herald's safety. If you don't do something, Talbot will kill you and haul your corpse to Connlaoth for a meager ramson. If you feel like you can't kill him, surrender now, so you can at least live."

"But..." Maria trembled. "I'm scared."

The demon sighed. "For what it's worth, I promise you won't die in Connlaoth."

Maria sat silent. "Take me back. I'm ready."

The demon smirked and with a wave of his hand, Maria was back in the forest.

"Okay, you win. Just please, don't hurt her." Maria hoped she could take the demon at his word.

Kalak8538

The man watched as the girl put on the manacles, and the rune glowed. It was a satisfying moment. A sight that he did not expect to see. He stayed resolute, successfully hiding his contentment to maintain his stern and unforgiving facade.

"Perfect." he said, dropping Addison to the floor.

He stowed the knife away again, and went for his equipment and rearmed himself. Once that was done, he grabbed hold of the chain connecting Maria's wrists.

PumpkinSwift

Maria dropped her head in defeat. She heard Addison whimper, obviously still worried for the younger woman's well-being.

"It's ok, Addison." Maria shot her a weak smile. "I have a feeling I'll get through this. Thank you. For everything.'

Addison nodded, and turned to the armored man, weakly. "Can, can I leave?"

It hurt Maria to see her turn around and focus on her own well-being so quickly, but she couldn't blame her. They both awaited Talbot's response.

Kalak8538

The man nodded, replying with a solemn "Go..."

Despite everything that had transpired, Talbot Blithe somehow managed to maintain an air of cold indifference. He had endured a lot over the past several hours, but he chose to remain professional. His mission was to take the one woman. What became of the other was not his concern.

"I'm here only for this one."

With that, he tightened his grasp on the manacles and pulled. It was not a cruel or sudden yank, but rather a firm tug. He meant to guide the young mage as one did a stubborn animal.

"I'll warn you though, girl..." he started at Addison, almost growling his words. "Once we get to your village, stay out of my sight."

PumpkinSwift

Addison nodded, and scurried away. She shot Maria one last sad glance before she disappeared into the trees.

Maria stiffened once she was gone. Now she was alone with the man... Talbot. She was still afraid of him, and wondered what he would do to her. After all, he only needed her alive, not unharmed.

She complied with Talbot's physical directions. It would be stupid to be difficult so early on. She would have to wait for an opportunity to escape, if it ever came.

Kalak8538

The creature's new compliance made the man more weary than when she was resisting. He led her along, half expecting her to try again for her freedom. Slowly and silently, the bounty hunter led his charge in the direction Addison had gone. She knew the way back to the village, whereas the man did not. He had no patience left for getting lost, and had no intention to spend another night in the snow-covered wood.

The man walked without a word with his bounty in tow. His armor clanked loudly despite himself. They had already lost the woman, but the fresh trail she left was more than enough to find the way back. Before too long, the familiar village was in sight once again. Talbot paused, and looked to his deformed captive.

"Not a word to anyone when we get there. Understand me?!" he threatened.

PumpkinSwift

Maria nodded. She looked towards the few villagers on the outskirts, some of which had already turned and looked at her, their faces scrunched together in disgust. She wasn't sure who it was aimed at.

She walked silently alongside Talbot, heart nearly beating out of her chest. She knew that of there was ever a time to turn on her captor, it would be here. Talbot was obviously still weary of her, and if they fought again, blood was sure to be spilt.

Tags: