Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

I can show you the world [DragonSong]

Started by Camrie, March 05, 2018, 05:33:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Camrie

Exhaustion crept upon the travelers like a snake, coiling around their limbs and turning them heavy and numb. The leader of the trio, tall and covered in soft mahogany fur, had his pointed ears pinned against his ruff, eyes glazed with the strain of hard exploration. His hand, which was rather pawlike, as per his wolfish nature, grasped weakly the strap of his warg's leather harness, the massive beast shaking as though he may collapse at any moment. Creases of worry formed between the wolf's brows. Grimacing at the sun overhead, Feraen fumbled for his canteen, halting the large creature in his steps to pour the last of it into it's maw, catching a splash in his palm to let the Phoenix on his shoulder sip from.
"Healóc, boys," he rasped bolsteringly, stomach grumbling loudly. "We'll halt as soon as we encounter a stream."
In all honesty, he didn't know how many miles they had in them. It had been days...
But alas, a mercenary's charge gone awry was enough to keep them moving.

Gently, he gave the harness a halfhearted tug, urging the warg, Dugal, into reluctant motion.
He took no water for himself, instead placing his bets on the hope that said water source would not be far ahead. As usual, he wore only loose linen trousers that covered just as far as his digitrade knees, and no further. With all his fur, more clothing wasn't necessary. His well toned chest heaved with labored breaths, short tail twitching tiredly. Diaval, the blue and grey Phoenix, hung his elegant head in misery, his feathers looking rumpled and in need of cleaning, wings dangling listless at his sides. Not for the first time, Feraen felt sharp guilt at putting them through this ordeal. If only he hadn't taken that job... Unable to stomach it anymore, the werewolf stilled, swaying on his thick hind paws, eyes unfocused and far off. In seconds that felt like years, his overworked limbs gave out, and he collapsed. Lack of sleep atop non-stop travel- it was a wonder they had made it this far.

Dugal whimpered, sinking down beside his fallen master with foggy concern. He nosed at the burly wolf, tusks working against his lips worriedly. He made a sharp noise aimed towards the bird on his shoulders, and the Phoenix seemed to almost force himself to his feet, beak open as if hoping to get more air into his lungs. With a dry, hoarse shriek, the bird half-stumbled into the sky, unkempt plumage beating clumsily as at the breeze. Get help. Get help for master... Urging himself onward, Diaval soared above the trees, every instinct propelling him to seek aide for his family.

@DragonSong

OOC: hope this is okay! Fiala gets to be his knight in shining hooves ;)

DragonSong

It was the cry that drew her attention skyward, ragged and weary and desperate. As the sun sank every closer to the treetops of her glade, Fiala rose gracefully to her feet from where she'd been kneeling beside the stream and craned her neck back, shading her eyes to try to see what had made the sound.

A bird? A large bird, of a species she'd never seen before. Frowning, she called back to it, trying to mimic its cry in the hope that it would draw the creature's attention toward whatever aide she could offer.

Camrie

Diaval felt his heart pounding in his breast, and nearly dropped from the sky before righting himself. Soon, soon, please...
A gentle updraft seemed to caress him, then, filtering through his feathers and carrying with it the sound of another, bringing deliverance. He could have wept with joy over the sound of it. Circling haphazardly, he followed the mimicry of his call to it's source, eyes keen to find that which could rescue his party from their own plight. He caught the sight of a lovely woman, standing- by a stream! Blessed water, blessed woman! The pheonix's heartwrenching cry was stronger this time, hope giving him a burst of adrenaline. He dove for the beautiful faun, desperate further help. He managed to hover weakly in front of her eyes, a plea clear as daylight on his distraught avian face. Croaking out a sad little sound, he grasped a lock of her hair gently in a talon and gave an urgent tug, turning to race back the direction he had come.

He could only pray she understood.

DragonSong

"Oh!" The faun's eyes widened as she saw the sorry state of the creature- a phoenix, a blue one!- and she immediately sprang to attention, shoving up the shoulders of her thin green slip that refused to stay in place. "Wait, you need to rest- alright, alright!"

She worried at her lower lip as she nodded, indicating that she would follow. "You're obviously in some kind of trouble, I'll help if I can. Here." She reached up and tried to pluck the large bird from the sky, cradle him in her arms so he could rest his exhausted wings. "Just tell me which way to go; you seem an intelligent lad, I'm sure you can point me in the right direction. Please rest."

Camrie

Diaval made an odd, quivering noise, as if relieved to be held. He allowed her to take him from the sky, settling into her cradled arms with all the relish of a wee babe. Trembling, he stretched out his graceful neck and pointed his dark beak in the direction that his group had collapsed, letting out another rasping note of song to alert Dugal's strong ears that they were on their way. It looked so different from the ground, but his bond with Feraen was strong enough, he hoped, that he could sense which way was true.

The warg, meanwhile, was attempting to rouse the unconcious master- without success. His ears perked at the distant sound of Diaval's reassurance, finding enough hope that he settled for rolling the large werewolf unto his back, listening to his heart, his breathing; the former was a quick, racing staccato, while the latter still rattled ominously with every intake of air. Dugal growled anxiously, shifting on large paws.

@DragonSong

DragonSong

"Oh, there there." Fiala frowned and stroked the exhausted creature as he snuggled into her arms, starting off in the direction he'd indicated.

She hesitated when she reached the edge of the glade. She'd never been passed the border before. She cast a glance back over her shoulder, taking in the copse of trees and the miniature series of waterfalls that set the stream chiming and tinkling merrily over the stones, the soft patches of moss where so often she'd bedded down.

Lakali is going to kill me. With a quick shake of her head that set a few petals tumbling loose from the flowers tucked around the base of her antlers, she stepped delicately passed the border of the glade.

Well. So far so good. She took a fortifying breath and started off, a steady, quick walk that quickly became a sort of trot, then a full out sprint, bounding over the ground so quickly her hooves barely seemed to touch the grass between steps.

Part of it was the sense of urgency she felt from the phoenix, but if she was being honest there was also a sort of blissful freedom in breaking the rules, leaving the glade, just- just running! It was exhilarating.

It was easy to spot the phoenix's trouble, even at a distance. Her steps faltered for a moment, the instinctive wariness of a doe facing a wolf. But then she took a breath and started forward again, a bit more sedately.

"I found your friend," she murmured as she approached the warg. She knew what the creature was, though she'd never seen one in the flesh before. "Well, actually he found me- oh goodness!"

The pile of mahogany fur beside the warg was alive. She'd thought it might be another, younger warg at first, but this close it was clear the creature was anthropomorphic. And alive, though that might not be the case much longer.

"Oh! Here." Quickly and carefully, she transferred the firebird from her arms to between the warg's front paws and folded her legs carefully under her body so she could kneel beside the werewolf. She reached out to touch his brow. Hot. Dehydrated.

Well she certainly couldn't carry him on her own.

Apologies in her eyes, she looked up at the two creatures who'd come so faithfully to their master's aide. "I'm so sorry, I can't lift him on my own. My home isn't far, there's water and a place to rest. Do you think you can help me get him there?"

Camrie

The pheonix felt her hesitation. His eyes looked up at her in a sort of pained understanding, reassuring. When they set off, he sighed in gratefulness, leaning against her as she sped up to a run. He was immensely thankful for her haste- his companions would need it. As they came into view of their plight, she plunged bravely into the fray despite Dugal's intimidating presence.

The warg made no move to harm the faun, instead seeming to want to provide as much aid as he was able. He allowed the girl to place Diaval gently between his paws, nuzzling the exhausted bird in congratulations of a job well done. Feraen, lying prone on the grass, hardly acknowledged the soft touch of the woman as she felt his forehead. She looked towards the pair of creatures at her side, sweetly apologetic for the favor she must ask of them. Dugal lumbered loyally to his feet, willing entirely to do this for his master, and for the kind faun who now was their saviour. He bent to nose the large werewolf, squirming until he managed to get his head beneath Fer's back, then unceremoniously rolled him until he was draped sideways over the warg's shoulders like a kidnapped princess. Diaval made a soft sound, and fluttered up into the girl's arms once again, Eyes brighter and more content now that he had served his purpose. They looked to her for direction, faces dutiful and ready to follow wherever their rescuer led.

DragonSong

With a long exhale, Fiala nodded and absently stroked the phoenix as he settled in her arms. "Right then. This way."

It was a longer trek with the exhausted warg and lycanthrope, but Fiala was patient and steadying as the odd group made their way back to the glade. In the back of her mind, she couldn't help hoping that Lakali hadn't noticed her absence- she wasn't gone all that long, all things considered...

No. No, she had more important things to worry about. Once the trees were in sight, Fiala's eyes brightened and she picked up her pace to an even lope, calling back, "It's just up ahead, there's fresh water and a safe place to rest!"

Once her hooves crossed back into the glade she sighed softly, a strange combination of relief at returning home and regret that her little adventure hadn't lasted longer. Carefully, she set the phoenix down on a soft bank of moss just beside the stream, then turned to help slide the warg's master from the creature's back.

"You've both done so well," she murmured soothingly, almost absently, as she attempted to grip the werewolf under his arms. "Truly, you must be incredibly brave and loyal. He's lucky to have you."

Tags: