Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

New Girl

Started by DragonSong, March 17, 2018, 09:32:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DragonSong

@Magyar

The Basics of Shaping the Soul.

That was the first class she'd managed to actually sign up for- this whole enrollment process was more complicated than she'd first thought, she'd had to go through all sorts of applications just to be accepted into the one class, the rest of her roster was still being decided based on a series of aptitude tests.

So, just the one class for this first week. But where in the hells was it?

Rey grumbled and butted his head against her leg as she paused for the umpteenth time in the middle of the hallway, turning the map she'd been given over and around in her hands as she tried to orient herself.

"Now, if the second seminar room is that way...and the entrance onto the second floor balcony is that way... Oh, hells' bells!" She stamped her foot, resisting with some difficulty the effort to crumple the map up and toss it down the hall.

Magyar

Percy pressed back against the limestone pillar, breathing heavily, and hugging his chest tightly. Pushing off the pillar, he took off down a narrow hallway in a flap of navy fabric accompanied by the soft slapping of moccasins against stone. He grunted and stumbled awkwardly, squeezing his chest tighter still. He bit out an angry whisper, something unintelligible, but definitely directed toward his restricted torso.

After glaring at his own crossed arms for several seconds, paused hesitantly in the hall, Percy nodded to himself in satisfied sort of way before carrying on down the corridor. Taking sharp turns, seemingly without a sense of direction, Percy navigated the castle in the back of his mind. Getting around Wyrdwood wasn't so much about knowing exactly how to get everywhere as much as it was knowing approximately where everything was in relation to each other. After spending enough time on the campus and sneaking through the criss-crossed hallways past curfew, finding your way became second nature. Doing so quietly and without being noticed, however, required another set of skills entirely. Percy could remember numerous occasions where, by the light of only an oil lantern and the intuition he had accumulated, he had traversed the winding paths and hidden passageways of Wyrdwood undiscovered. Of course, there were just as many instances wherein he had been found out by someone sneakier than him... but that was just the way of things when one went nosing around after dark.

Percy took a sharp turn to his right, walking briskly. He looked like someone who desperately wanted to run, only holding to walking for fear of causing a disruption. Never mind the fact that these halls were vacant and Percy was the only person in sight. Another right turn, another odd jerking motion that almost sent Percy sprawling.

"Sweet Seven Hells, what is wrong with you?!" he exclaimed, exasperated, to his chest. Standing awkwardly against the wall, using it as a support - since his arms were still securely wrapped around his midsection - Percy grunted with effort. Finally, with an irritated sigh, Percy released his vice-grip on his own chest. Rocketing out of his robes - with enough force to stagger him backwards - flew what looked like a small bundle of cloth. The bundle bounced and skidded a few feet on the uneven stones, before rolling over and standing up. Five feet from Percy stood a small cloth man, about fifteen inches tall. Percy scowled, before grabbing at the little man. The doll danced away, but didn't run. Despite the lack of a proper mouth, it looked almost as if it was smiling.

"Get over here," Percy whispered, although it was more of an angry rasp than a whisper, "You can ride in my pocket, or in my hat, or whatever, but you need to stay hidden! I can't have little linen men running around, or my head will be on a silver platter!"

The little linen man tilted his head slightly, and warily approached. His steps were cautious but unafraid, and when he was within reaching distance, Percy held out his hand. The little man sat in Percy's palm, ready to be carried - and then a noise came abruptly from down an adjacent hallway. Percy shoved his hand into a deep cloak pocket, with little resistance from the linen man, before approaching the noise quietly. Careful to keep his steps as near silent as he could, he turned a corner to find a brunette with several maps and an odd looking blue cat. It looked sort of like a peacock, but in the shape of a cat.

"Are you looking for something?" he asked hesitantly, keeping his hands well concealed in the roomy pockets of his robe.

DragonSong

"Ach!" Laeni started so badly she nearly tossed her handful of maps into the air like so much confetti, spinning to face the owner of the voice with wide eyes. She'd been so wrapped up in her own thoughts that she hadn't noticed the stranger's approach. Which was embarrassing, frankly, normally she was much more alert.

At her side Rey chuffed in amusement- he'd caught the young man's scent easily, but it was funnier to watch Laeni's reactions rather than warn her. The mage shot her familiar a sour look and he blinked innocently up at her, multicolored tail flicking, the feathered tuft at the end brushing against her calf.

The stranger was obviously another student. His robes made that clear, if nothing else. Oh, wonderful, he could probably tell her where she needed to be; she remembered someone telling her most people who studied here began their education at thirteen, and he seemed about her age, which meant he'd been here several years, right?

"Um, yes, I am," she admitted with a sheepish little smile. "I need to get to a class- I think it starts in half an hour, actually- and I think I'm pretty much hopelessly lost." She sighed and dragged a hand through her hair. "Ah, would you know how to get to the room where the introduction to soul-shaping is being taught?"

She double-checked her roster, then looked up at him again. "It's called The Basics of Shaping the Soul?"

Magyar

Percy's grip on the golem in his pocket tightened and the little man squirmed in protest, but Percy ignored him. He was quickly thinking through his various options right now, involving his class, this golem, and this girl - nevermind her odd familiar.

On the one hand, he could offer to take her to the class, erase suspicion, maybe make a friend for later... but that would also mean he wouldn't be able to hide the linen man before class, and he highly doubted Maergath would let him out of class for any reason that wasn't mortal injury or immediate danger. He could - in the completely opposite vein of thought -  leave her stranded, and deal with the consequences after the fact, when they inevitably saw each other in class... maybe not. That could create problems... wrinkles, down the line. Certainly not then. He could direct her and leave, but then how he would get this little linen man up to the attics and back to class without anyone noticing his lateness - and the fact that he'd been close enough to this student to point her in the right direction to make it to class on time, that would draw unwanted attention as well. And this cat - bird? - thing, could be much more than it seemed.

Percy regarded it cautiously, with trepidation, but shifted his gaze back to the brunette. He'd wasted several seconds in silence, simply watching this girl and her cat. Feeling the need to do something, but without a clue what to do, he rather abruptly stuck out his hand towards the girl, saying, "Percy. Nice to meet you..." He winced a bit internally, but decided he had to commit now or face even more suspicion than he had merited, "I know exactly where that is, but we're both going to be late if we don't get moving. Follow me!"

DragonSong

"I'm Laeni-" she started to introduce herself, then her eye widened. "Oh! O-okay!" She nodded quickly as Percy started off and hurried after him. "C'mon, Rey!"

Her familiars chuffed and loped easily along after her, rolling his eyes.

Tags: