Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

I Know My Target {DragonSong}

Started by Lowen Thorn, April 02, 2018, 08:54:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lowen Thorn

"Then it is a deal, Rory Marigold," he said with a sly smile and an offering hand. "I will protect you to my fullest ability. You think you can call off your fellow students, now? They'll be here soon."

DragonSong

Rory swallowed thickly, eyes red-rimmed with tears, then took his hand. Her fingers were icy with fear, but she nodded. "I c-can," she murmured. "But...you'll have to play along."

She swallowed again, still trying to understand what was happening. Gods, she was too frightened to think clearly, fight-or-flight reflex refusing to calm.

Lowen Thorn

"You have nothing to worry about," he said calmly, sensing her lingering fear. "I am not going to hurt you anymore."

He shot a glance at the door, before focusing back on her. The other students were right outside, nervously checking the other classrooms and calling out to her.

"I'll play along."

DragonSong

Rory took a shaky breath and pushed herself away from the table she'd essentially collapsed against. Another breath, taking a moment to smooth her hair and robes, then she straightened her shoulders and moved toward the door, opening it carefully but determinedly.

"Hello," she called with a small smile to her classmates, hoping the evidence of her tears had faded. "I-- I'm so sorry to have scared you all, there was a...a misunderstanding."

Lowen Thorn

"Yes, a misunderstanding," his calm, emotionless voice came from behind her.

He did not know how she wanted him to play along, but after observing humans for so long, he had a general idea.

He joined Rory in the doorway, his eyes showing no signs of red, and looked upon her approaching classmates. "I'm Rory's boyfriend. Nice to meet you."

DragonSong

Rory choked, eyes going wide as she looked back at him.

That was what he went with?!

"R-right." She forced a smile and turned back to her classmates, none of whom looked very convinced. "My, uh, b-boyfriend." She cleared her throat, mind racing as she tried to come up with a plausible story. "I was, um, working on a new spell, a new glyph, and I wasn't expecting him to be here, you see, and the magic was muddling my mind a bit, so when I saw him I sort of..." She trailed off and shrugged helplessly. "Overreacted?"

Lowen Thorn

Epirus watched the woman struggle to come up with an answer before speaking up.

"What Rory means to say," he said, placing a hand on her shoulder. "I saw her working on her new spell, and decided to throw her some real world experience. You never know when you will need to defend yourself!"

He tried his best attempt at a smile.

DragonSong

That seemed to be settling the crowd down, at least a little, though about half still seemed wary or irritated. Rory breathed a quiet sigh as they began to drift away though, returning to classes or their dorms.

The young mage turned to quirk an eyebrow at her new "guard", fear replaced almost entirely with incredulity. "Boyfriend? Really?"

Lowen Thorn

Epirus raised his eyebrow at the young woman, puzzled by her response. "Was that not a good explanation?" he asked sincerely. "You are a girl. I am a boy. I am your guard now, which I fathom would make us friends. So, boyfriend. Is that wrong?"

His eyes scanned the hall outside the classroom that was steadily emptying out. "Looks like it worked."

DragonSong

Rory gaped at him. Resisting the urge to drop her face into her hands, she groaned, "That's not-- do you even realize you just implied that we're lovers?" she demanded exasperatedly.

Any lingering fear she'd felt for this man was quickly fading into irritation.

Lowen Thorn

He stared at her blankly with those dull blue eyes.

"I don't see a problem," he said, still baffled at her frustrations. "So, you have many lovers then?"

DragonSong

The mage choked on her own voice, eyes going wide. "Wha-- I-- No!" Cheeks very red, she scowled at him and folded her arms. Irritation had faded quickly to embarrassment. "Wh-what would make you say that?"

Lowen Thorn

The man simply shrugged. He was still learning about humans and all of their terms, and it appeared as he still had a long way to go. Though he felt that he was pretty spot on with his description, and the girl was overreacting just a bit.

"It does not matter," he responded shortly. "Where to next?"

DragonSong

Muttering something under her breath about "audacity" and "implications", Rory turned and stalked off down the hall.

Now that the adrenaline was fading somewhat, it struck her just how much of an unfortunate position she was in. Lowering her voice, she said to her new...companion, "You and I need to have a thorough talk, if this is to be any sort of successful, working relationship."

Lowen Thorn

The man followed her down the hall, watching her every move. Curious by humans in general, he studied the way the woman walked - and caught himself trying to imitate her movements. Humans really are fascinating, after all.

His train of thought was interrupted by her voice as she addressed him again.

"What is there to talk about?" he asked, cocking his head slightly to the side.

DragonSong

"Well...this." Rory waved back and forth between them, frowning slightly. "I think we should probably work out some...ground rules, as it were," she muttered, worrying her lower lip again.

Lowen Thorn

Epirus nodded.

The girl was right, they needed to discuss this further, though he was not exactly sure what "ground rules" meant.

"Not here," he said softly. "Is there somewhere else we can go?"

DragonSong

She nodded briskly. "Yes, my room. That's where I'm taking you."

The implications of that suddenly hit her like a blow to the gut and she froze, then abruptly whirled and pointed a finger in his face. "Don't think that's giving you any sort of liberties," she muttered with a scowl, a tinge of panic creeping back into her voice. "This is-- this is strictly business."

Lowen Thorn

"Of course," he agreed. "Strictly business. After all, we have a deal."

He followed her through the halls a little longer, when some students from earlier passed by - still carrying that same uneasy, skeptical looks on their faces. "Hello friends of Rory," he said in his best attempt to sound polite. "We are off to Rory's room. Good day!"

DragonSong

Oh dear gods.

Rory went beet red and grabbed her almost-assassin's wrist, tugging him along with her head down as her classmates exploded into laughter.

"See, that's why she won't accept any suitors," one of the girls giggled, elbowing a friend meaningfully.

Mortified, Rory essentially dragged Epirus through the building until they reached her dorm. She more or less shoved him inside before slamming the door and leaning back against it. "Oh, I am never going to live that down..."