Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

If it walks like a duck, it's probably a thief. [Lion!]

Started by nephero, April 10, 2018, 05:19:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nephero

Third watch always went on forever.

You’d think that it being ass-o-clock in the evening that there’d be more to do, but it seemed even the scum of the earth liked to keep regular sleep schedules. Even the drunks had long since shuffled off home or had otherwise been shoved someplace they could sleep it off. Liminessa pulled her helm off— a simple yet effective leather affair that was great for taking hits to the skull but was shit for breathing in— and took a moment to pull back the dark jade flyaways that had come loose from her bun.

A wipe of her brow to get rid of the sweat the unseasonably warm weather had brought on, and Nessa pushed her helm back on, cudgel in hand as she continued her patrol down the quiet, dark city streets. The worst part of it all was that she was only halfway into the shift, and the city bells seemed to be perfectly content to ring few and far between. No end to the evening in sight, and not even a skeevy pickpocket to make the night interesting.

At this point, Liminessa would have taken the drunks back. Even dodging poorly hidden attempts at copping a feel was better than being bored out of her damn mind. And at least some of those same drunks liked to sing. In the dark of the night, Maestoso was as silent as the grave, and that had to be the absolute worst part about it all.

Rubbing at her eyes beneath the faceplate of her helm, Nessa took a moment to pinch her cheeks and get some kind of feeling of alertness back as she stepped across the plaza, past the babbling water fountain in the center of the square, and down yet another city street as part of her designated patrol for the evening. Her squad each had their own patterns to follow, rattling hanging silver bells at street corners to signal that, as usual, all was well.

Gooooods, but third watch went on forever. Liminessa reached up, grabbed one such bellrope, and gave the device a quick ring to signal her own check complete. It made keeping in contact easy, required less overlap, and the soft ringing of the bells in the night was more than a little bit of a comfort to those good, decent civilians wrapped in bed. Liminessa wished this had been standard procedure when she was small— more than one night she had spent huddled in her bed with the covers pulled over her head, head full of some nasty tale courtesy of the kitchen staff and her own morbid curiosity.

That was years and several provinces away, now. But if this meant other little girls slept a little bit better, she’d go on ringing those bells. Or beating the absolute shit out of anyone who decided to make trouble. Speaking of…

Something moved in the shadows, far down at the other end of the street, and Nessa scowled as she gripped her cudgel tighter. Endless planning and repetition guaranteed that whatever was down there was not one of her own, and she gave a sharp whistle into the night air as her meandering pace was suddenly infused with a sense of purpose.

“Who goes there!” It was a silly call, but then, she never really expected lowlifes to respond to it. It was more for the benefit of her squad, though if she had her way this would end up with a vigorous foot chase and her knee in someone’s belly. “Identify yourself, now!”

Gritting her teeth and trying not to be too pleased when the shadowy something took off running in the opposite direction, Nessa bolted hard down the cobbled road, her boots thudding loudly in the otherwise pristine night air.

“Hold! Gods damn you, you son of a bitch, I am going to make you eat the dirt from my soles.” That last part was more a breathless mutter, but the sentiment was real nonetheless, muscles burning by the time she made it down the street and around the corner the shadow had turned, only to find that same side street completely empty. Cussing loudly, Nessa looked up towards the rooftops, trying to spot where the little skulky shit might have vanished off to.

Not that she got much a chance to really look— the bells were ringing then, and not in the short, even strokes that meant everything was fine, but rather in the loud frantic rolling that summoned everyone within earshot to the ringer’s location. Cussing in a way that would have horrified her mother to hear, Liminessa took off running again, back down the original street and across another, where the rest of her squad was quickly gathering around bright torchlight and splintered wood.

“What is it?” She asked, stepping up to the front door of an apothecary’s shop— or rather, what was left of it. An odd choice for an invasion, most being rather keen on keeping a lower profile than this.

“Robbery, ma’am.” Said another guard, moving away from the shop owner and holding something small pinched between two gloved fingers. A closer look saw a shimmering string, ghostly pale and almost translucent in the right light. “Door was kicked in and a couple jars taken. Yarrow, nightweed, and…”

“Banshee thread,” the apothecary said, huffily, and Nessa narrowed her eyes at such a tone.

“Funny collection you’ve got, there. You have any reason to be stocking banshee thread, sir? It doesn’t strike me as having many viable applications an upstanding gentleman such as yourself would be interested in.”

“I’m sorry, am I under arrest, or am I the one who got robbed, here?” he shot back, gesturing at the remains of his shop door. “Look at this!”

“I see it. What else do we have?” Nessa asked of the other guard, waving the apothecary to the side and leaving him sputtering in indignation for it.

“Not much, ma’am. No witnesses, just a crash and then nothing.”

“I saw someone skulking about just three blocks south. Take a detail and comb the area, anyone out and about I want brought in for questioning, no exceptions. Wake first shift if you have to. I’ll be down to the jails shortly.”

“Ma’am?”

“This is the third time this month. I’m going to check in on some of our old friends and see who’s back to causing trouble. If I’m not back by dawn, check the northside canals. That’s probably where I’ll wash up.” Nessa grimaced behind her helm, the gallows humor seemingly doing nothing to help the general mood. But, thankfully, no one argued, and so she was able to walk away from the crime scene, leaving her squad to keep examining evidence as well as start setting up the sweep of the streets.

She, however, had much bigger fish to fry. Tenderize and batter and fry. In that order. And with any real luck, she’d find her shadowy little friend out of breath and looking perfectly, smackably guilty. But that required finding him first, and if Nessa knew Quinlan Duirne, that’d be the real trick of the evening.

VIGILANCE WALKING THE TOAST
Characters here!

__guilds, yo__
The Territok Orcs // The Oratok Orcs // Fausteth // The Ashmen

Lion

Gods Maestoso was such a boring fucking city. The drinks were lousy, the whores were too neat, and if Quinlan was just being picky when asking for a sloppy wet one on his dick, then excuuuuse him for having a little taste. Geeze. This was what he'd left Connlaoth for? Pfft, ok, so he knew why he'd left his homeland. There were no illusions about that, and getting to travel was something most people only dreamed about.

Quinlan liked it too, he couldn't claim he didn't. There was a certain thrill in being in different places, places you thought you'd never see as a child, and only heard of through stories, myth, filtered hearsay. You only found the truth when you went out and discovered it for yourself. Too bad no one rightly expressed the sheer pennilessness that came with being a vagrant, cept for those you'd see in the most dilapidated parts of a city. Quinlan made coin where he could, saved up what he didn't waste of getting more herb or booze and moved on to the next city.

Too bad, he miscalculated how much coin he had in his pocket, and how much it would cost to get the fuck out of this city. It was too bad that hand of cards was garbage and he'd taken that sucker for all he was worth. And it was too bad he and his buddies met up with Quinlan afterward to jump him and take what he'd won.

Quinlan gently rubbed at the bruise underneath his eye, too headache induced to use any blood magic to alleviate much more than the swelling around his eye. Fuck him, fuck this city, fuck everything.  And fuck those fucking bells that were going off around the city like somebody was being murdered. If there was any luck that favored Quinlan, maybe that fucker that took his money back got stuck like a pig and robbed.

Sure he'd still be broke, but the thought amused him nonetheless.

Quinlan pushed himself up from the alley floor where he'd been lying for the last five minutes, trying to figure out his life decisions before cleaning his scarred hands on his pants and brushing his hair back. He staggered out of the alley and looked around, for the nearest bar. Maybe he promised to blow the bartender afterward he could get a fucking drink.  Or maybe just have his head cracked open, that woud save him the trouble of alleviating his headache.

He ignored the bells, that just seemed louder and louder until they altogether stopped, and he fixed his ripped coat, a patched up leather thing that was cruddy and had a pocket inside where he pulled out a small case of rolled smokes, feeling around his body for his matches and cursing when the small box he'd had was empty, and the one he'd hidden in his shoe was wet.  Great.

He lingered under a lantern light, standing just outside of the Skull and Shark, looking around and seeing a familiar shape emerging from the shadow.  ...Wearing a helmet, and bearing a cudgel.  "Did I pray right this time? Am i gonna get my brains beaten outta me this time?" he murmured, holding the unlit smoke between his lips and suddenly grinning when the figure came further into the light.

"Well, I'll be a handprint on a slapped ass. Hello Officer Marchand. What can I do for you this fine evening?" he grinned at her, pulling the smoke gingerly between his fingers, narrowing indigo eyes and grinning up at her.

Like to kill mages?  Join the Order!
The Order of St. Agratha

Help Rebuild Connlaoth from the ashes of war!
The Red Legion

Jump in the water's fine!
Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"Life is a series of dogs." -George Carlin
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

nephero

Nessa was not surprised that he looked like crap. Really, there was a certain expectation regarding people like Quinlan, and that expectation was not for him to look put together. Disheveled, staggering, sporting a shiner and looking like he'd tried very recently to kiss an ill-tempered horse's ass, anything less and Nessa might have questioned if it were Quinlan at all.

Though, up to no good he no doubt always was, Nessa was good enough at her job to take in the little details. Bruised eye, dirt clinging to his coat and the seat of his pants. Idly, she wondered if he would even be capable of something like kicking a door in. Though, really, she'd done it enough times herself to know it wasn't as difficult as you'd think. And while Quinlan was uncouth, a miscreant, a criminal and a professional pain in her ass every time he washed up, Nessa would never have pegged him for an idiot.

Still. No reason to ever let him know that. She strode forward, ignoring his personal brand of "friendly greeting", grabbed him by that crappy coat and yanked him back into the alley. A quick shove pushed him back against the alley wall, where she held him with one hand while the other drew her cudgel and held it just within eyesight. Not raised to strike, but certainly capable of changing her mind.

"Skip the goatshit, Duirne," Nessa hissed through the faceplate on her helm, giving him another shove before stepping back and palming the striking end of the cudgel. "Where have you been skulking this evening? Doing any late night shopping or just starting fights?"

Characters here!

__guilds, yo__

Lion

Gods fucking dammit she was hot. And even with his fat lip and swollen eye, Quinlan did his best to curl his lips into a charming smile and grin ear to ear at her. He just couldn't help himself, and the second she got within the lamp light he was standing underneath she was close enough so that he could see the faint deep blue of those brilliant eyes and he stared at them for a time, completely deaf to anything and everything she was saying. Because, well, like he said. She was fucking too hot for her own good.

Ahhh, welp. Too bad that couldn't last. No one couldn't just let him ogle noooo, they had to ruin it by being fucking dickwads.  Quinlan grunted when suddenly she grabbed him by his coat and shoved him back against the alleywall again, and adrenaline shot through his veins like stabbing needles.  Instinctively his hand went to his side, where a blade was tucked neatly into the leather of his belt and made less noticeable by it's placement.

Skip the goatshit.  Right.  His indigo eyes narrowed down at hers and his heart was racing in his throat.  "What the fuck, Nessa. If you wanna fuck so bad, we can nab a room right now," he muttered, his eyes meeting hers and never once breaking gaze. His heart was still pounding in his ears, maybe for different reasons, but if she said yes he wasn't going to complain.

"Quinlan," he corrected. "That's my name. And I haven't done jackshit, so just take that cudgel and shove it up your ass and call it night ok. I've been right here in this alley and there ain't nothing you can do to prove otherwise."  Sure it was a respected guard's word against his, a lowlife vagrant of curious origins and he knew that didn't look good for anybody.  That being said, he still didn't make it easy. He wasn't going to, And he kept his hands within visible sight. Although part of him reminded himself how easy it'd be watch her boil alive right now, but almost too easy.

And killing someone that fucking hot was almost...criminal.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

nephero

"Please, if I'm ever interested in catching your particular brand of sewage, I'll just jump in the channel and be done with it." Liminessa rolled her eyes, perhaps a bit too forcefully, at the concept of taking this particular pain in her ass to bed in any capacity. Not that Quinlan was unattractive, but his sort tended to be much the same in her personal experience.

All messy thrills and not even a courtesy mop after the fact. Unconsciously, Nessa's face pinched, her full lips pressing into a thin line so forcefully it rendered the skin ghostly in comparison to the rest of her. Still, it did make her keen to take a step or three back away from Quinlan, which was likely the best case scenario for both of them.

Still, miscreant though he was, bottom feeder and all those other lovely little words that were appropriate in polite conversation, Liminessa couldn't exactly believe he was lying. She hadn't entirely expected to snatch him up red-handed in this particular case, but it never hurt to show she wasn't to be taken lightly.

Sliding her cudgel back into the loop in her belt in as close a display of peace as she was capable of in that moment, her helmet was removed shortly after and set against her hip with a low, agitated sigh.

"You're sure you've only been in this alley all night? No dealings with back-lot herbalists? Maybe someone a bit keen on moving some less than fantastic merchandise?" It was a long-shot at this rate, and while she couldn't believe he was lying about his own personal innocence, she also couldn't assume he wouldn't lie about this on principle.

Gods all but this night was giving her a headache. The tightness of her bun wasn't helping matters any, but the sooner she exhausted her leads the sooner she could go home and run a hot bath and try to forget about Quinlan and apothecaries and break-ins and necromancers for at least the next seven bells.

"There's been quite the flurry of activity tonight, it seems," she continued, tone carefully neutral as she considered the state of him, busted eye and lip both, "including on your end. I'm half convinced there's some kind of cosmic or... astrological movement at the root of it."

Characters here!

__guilds, yo__

Lion

It turned out, when it came down to the center of it all, Quinlan couldn't stop staring at her eyes. He was an easy fellow, and found easier bedding most places. But eyes like hers happened once in a blue moon. He was cornered by law enforcement and she could beat the absolute snot out of him and no one would care. It wouldn't be the first time.

But it would be the first time it could happen, and he probably wouldn't even complain.

That said, Quinlan straightened himself out once she'd put the cudgel away. At least he was safe from that. He swallowed and leaned back against the wall, letting his eyes stare right back into hers. Clearly there was something she wasn't telling him.

This wasn't just a shakedown to see what he was up to. This was a "I'll arrest you for existing, so you might as well tell me what I want to know." 

And for the life of him this time, he had no idea what she was talking about. "Nessa," he started and nodded to her. "You're having a bad night I take it?"

He need a smoke badly. Anything to occupy his hands. He slowly reached into his coat and pulled out the last rolled smoke he remembered he had and tucked it into his lips. A match tip from the same pocket ignited and tenderly ignited his face. All the while each motion was slow and exaggerated. No sudden moves and all that.

"I told you I ain't got nothing to do with you're looking for. Why don't you tell me what the problem is because if I'm your only real lead here, then you're shit out of luck, darling," he murmured, and took a long drag of the smoke.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

nephero

Nessa eyed Quinlan through his motions, standing firm and still and not trusting the match until it was lit and shook out. She raised her chin then, jaw tight as she considered the man before her.

"Someone," she began evenly, still watching him closely even through the second drag and plume of acrid smoke, "has taken it upon themselves to relieve several herbalists of key components. Very potent components."

She narrowed her eyes at him, but didn't jump back into the accusations, instead stepping in closer. Nessa snatched at the smoke and took a quick draw, holding her breath as she passed it back to him. Turning her head daintily to the side, she pursed her lips and let the smoke stream out again in a swift jet, away from them and down deeper into the alleyway.

"What's the market on raising the dead these days? It's the same thing every time, and whoever it is disappears before anyone can get a good look."

Characters here!

__guilds, yo__