Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Back to a Dangerous Land (DragonSong)

Started by Kingfisher, April 29, 2018, 09:50:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kingfisher

@DragonSong

The smith travelled on further north.  Trade between Connlaoth and Serendipity was often hard, arduous.  There were few reliable passes through the mountains, making it easy for the southern lords to keep track off merchants.  However, there were a number of smuggler paths, but these were poorly maintained and unpatrolled, making them dangerous.

At least, most were unsafe.  One, which Joshua was on now, remained fairly secure thanks to an odd band of vigilanties.  They looked ragtag, a batch of fighters armed with halberds and matchlocks, their armor mostly of quilted jack.  One wore a brigandine, clearly an officer by his gait.  The halberdier saluted and Joshua nodded his gratitude as he continued into his homehand.

"That was Coburn, an agent of the Ash Guard.  They have agents all over and friends in high places...low places too."  The smith's companion had not asked but he had felt the need to explain.  "We should be getting close..."  It was hard to see the Compound over the foothills but once they were out in the open, he peculiar looking structures would be visible.

"Any last questions before we get there?" Joshua asked.  He wanted to ensure she felt at ease.  As a Serenian mage, it was natural for her to feel uncomfortable in his homeland...

DragonSong

Tara, sore and tired from long travel and a still-healing wound, shook her head. "No, I'm...I'm good. Let's just get there," she murmured, squinting to try to make out any detail of the compound.

Kingfisher

Initially, the most visible part of the Ash Guard compound was the palisade.  It stood almost two stories tall, hiding what buildings had been built within but the sprawling nature of the settlement made the wall appear quite squat.  There were a handful of wooden watchtowers, bristling with cannon ports but this mostly offered the artillery range and height advantages, rather than for its defense.

A small gatehouse was the only access to the camp and a pair of guards flanked the open doorway.  It was usually left open and would only be closed if a threat approached.  One of the guards, a halberdier with a salt-and-pepper goatie gestured for the wagon to stop, so Joshua hauled in on the reins.  It took the older man a moment to recognize the smith.  "Josh!  How the hell are ya? It's been too long!"  He offered a hand for the young man to shake before continuing.  "I didn't know you'd be comin' this way.  What brings ya out here?"

"Well enough.  Just coming by to check up on my work."  Joshua nodded toward the battery towers.  He had cast several cannons for use by the Guard several years ago.  He could cast the steel faster and better than other gun makers in the Grand Duchy.

"Uh-huh," the guard said, incredulous.  He was looking at Tara now.  "Never figured ya for the settling down sort but if you're lookin' to get hitched, you'll probably have to," he said, clearly misinterpretting the pair's relationship.

"Knock it off," the smith snapped.  "She's a client.  Bounty hunt possibly."

"Ah, alright."  The guard pulled down his kettle hat, clearly embarrassed.  "Well you know the way to the command tent.  Captain's out but the First Lieutenant might be willing to see you."  The guard shrugged, adding, "No guarantee, though."

"Thanks."  The smith waited for the man  to stand clear of the wagon before urging the ox beyond the gate.  The second soldier glance from the bard to the smith before catching his eye and offering a conspiratorial wink that only confused Joshua.

The interior of the ward was a large village of tents and canopies.  However, while the camp was supposed to be ready to pack up and go at a moments noticed, a few sod housed had cropped up, built with thatch rooves to keep out the rain.  Most of the soldiers were off duty, taking brakes from their training and contracts.  A few trained, a man and a woman sparring with leather dussacks.  There was a stable, and a hand put up the smith's beast.  This freed the travellers to head for the largest canvas structure, with several peaks where the roof was supported by log pillars.

Pulling Tara aside, Joshua took a moment to mention something he thought might set the bard's mind at ease.  "You should know that most of the Guards don't have a problem with magic.  Even those from Connlaoth have mostly outgrown their prejudice, so don't worry about threats.  No one here will threaten you."

DragonSong

Tara couldn't help chuckling a bit at the guard's misconception: she'd expected it, honestly, it was usually the assumption people jumped to with a man and a woman traveling alone together, silly as it was.

And really Joshua's irritated reaction was just precious.

She refrained from teasing him about it as they entered the camp, simply looking about to take in their surroundings. When the smith pulled her aside to inform her about the camp's attitude toward magic though, she returned her full attention to him. He was trying to put her at ease.

How...sweet.

Tara smiled crookedly and shook her head a bit. "I'm not worried about it, lad," she told him quietly. Her eyes were a little softer than normal, an indication that she wasn't just playacting for once. "I didn't think you'd bring me somewhere that I wouldn't be safe."

It was only after she'd said it that she realized she meant that.

Kingfisher

Joshua did not truly know many people.  Tara was among the few people he had spent any real time around, aside from his transactional relationship with the Guard.  He noticed something in the way the bard reacted; a candor that did not seem to come wholy natural for her...

It was not something either wanted to ponder at the moment.  The smith walked toward the command tent and a man wearing a rapier stood guard.  He nodded to the pair and pulled a flap aside.

The interior was predictably dark, so rather than force pair of visitors go inside, a tall man stepped out.  Though not hulking, he had the baring of a powerful man.  His pale face was clean shaven, his short blond hair has been swept back out of his face.  Joshua had never met the man, but he could comfortably assume this man was First Lieutenant Michael Wolfram, the the steel pin of a wolf head helping to drive the point home.  "So, you are the young man who made our guns."  The mercenary spoke with a powerful voice.  Offering a hand to shake with the smith, Micheal asked, "What exactly brings you by?"

"Lieutenant Wolfram?" Joshua verified.  "I would like to ask a favor."  Gesturing to the bard, he continued, saying, "This is Tara.  I'd like if you could listen to what she has to say."

Wolfram turned to the girl, brow furrowing.  "Tara?" he repeated.

DragonSong

"Ah..." She glanced from Joshua to the lieutenant, shoulders a little tense, eyes wary. "Yeah. Um...hi." She nodded as politely as she could manage.

Kingfisher

Joshua noticed the sudden tension but before he could ask, Wolfram cleared his throat.  "Shall we have a seat?" the mercenary suggested, left hand resting against the hilt of his long sword.  He signalled the pair to a covered outdoor lounge-ish area.  Several tables and a number of chairs had been arranged in the shade of a large canvas tarp, held up by half a dozen wooden poles.

The blond swordsman waited for the woman to sit before he could ease himself into a chair opposite her; Joshua felt compelled to mimic the courtesy.  The tall warrior seemed stiff, glancing at the smith before returning his attention to Tara.  "I'll...Hrm...Please, tell be what I can do for you.  I won't guarantee any given outcome but I can promise, if...we take the job, to do what we can."

The fighter seemed to be picking his words carefully, as though trying to avoid a subject.  However, for the life of him, Joshua could not understand why.

DragonSong

"Well, ah..." Tara hedged, glancing at Joshua again. She wasn't used to just...outright asking for help. No game, no scheme, no seduction, just...asking.

"I'm...looking for someone," she said cautiously after a long moment. "And I-- I need some help tracking him down."

Kingfisher

"I gathered that already," the swordsman commented.  Shifting back in his seat, Wolfram studied the bard a moment.  "The man you're after; can you tell me about him?  His name, what he looks like?  And what his crime is?  I assume this is in regards to some...personal offense."

Joshua noticed the mercenary seemed to relax, less tense than he had been.  The smith was left wondering why he had seemed nervous before.

At around this point, a young man approached with a basin of water.  He had the dusky beige complexion of a southern clime and if the smith hazarded a guess, the youth was a diviner.  "Also, if we find him, what would you have us do?"  It was hear that Joshua glanced at his recent companion.  She seemed like the sort to want to kill the bandit herself rather than let another do it.

DragonSong

Tara felt herself tensing with every question, and she had to force herself to relax. Slowly, she began describing their target-- though she made no mention of his crime, other than to say, "He's a killer, and the world would be better off without him in it."

She shook her head at the last question. "I don't need you to do anything to him. Hell, I don't even really need you to find him find him. Just get me some leads and I can do the rest." She glanced at Joshua, then back to the mercenary. "How much is this gonna cost me, exactly?"

Kingfisher

A shadow of recognition crossed the blond man's face.  "Karrian," he wispered, leaning forward.  The mercenary set his elbows against his knees, fingers tented as he began to ponder his options.  Whatever his concern was, Wolfram refused to share and as the silence dragged, Joshua thought to address the Mercenary.

"Do you know Karrian?" the smith asked.

"...Yes..."  It was a cautious reply, clearly leaving much unsaid.  "I am quite familiar with how he operates."  Sitting back, Michael turned to the bard.  "I have my own reasons for hunting this savage.  In this instance, there is no fee."  This surprised Joshua, as well as the other youth, who offered Wolfram a nervous glance.  "It's fine," he assured his silent subordinate.  "I will cover the cost myself."  The man with the basin shrugged, setting the vessel down finally.

The swordsman, shifting his attention back to his...'client' almost did not seem the propper word any more.  "I can assign a jäger team to the area.  Once they set up, they can relay any information they find to you."

DragonSong

"Whoa, wait." Tara blinked and looked between the two men. "Why? Why are you doing this for free? What's the catch here?"

Kingfisher

Tara's question seemed appropriate and Joshua was just as surprised at the mercenary's apparent generosity.  For his part, Michael offered an unreadable smile.  "I have my own personal reasons for wanting the man dead and I have been personally funding the search..with little luck."  By now the servant had left...leaving Joshua
wondering at his earlier assumption.

Wolfram stood, stepping up to the basin and unbuttoning the cuffs of his doublet.  The purpose of the water became clear when the tall man plucked out a hard cake of soap and began to scrub his hands.  "Our hunters should be returning soon.  If you're hungry, you're free to share the day's catch."  Taking a hand towel from the back of the chair, the mercenary dried himself as he added, "If you feel you must pay, perhaps a song or two?  We don't have many visiting minstrels."  So he had mad note of the woman's profession, Joshua realized.

DragonSong

"Oh. Well." Tara blinked and glanced at Joshua again, then shrugged as she looked back to the mercenary. She smiled, slipping easily into her more charming persona. "I'd be delighted to perform for you and your men, of course."

Kingfisher

The sound of a hunting horn came some while later and batch of hunters carrying their various prizes returned through the wooden gates.  The kills - a stag, 4 hares and a boar - were arranged on a table near the central bonfire, their respective slayers went off to store their rifles and traps while the but hers got to work.  Michael broke from the pair, looking pensive as he fingered the angular pommel of his sword; clearly cotemplating the potential opportunity to draw it in the future...

Joshua stayed beside the bard, wandering the camp as things started to pick up.  Looking to Tara, the smith said, "I'm a little surprised things worked out so well."  He had honestly not expected Worlfram to be so accommodating; perhaps Karrian really was as evil as the girl had said.

DragonSong

"Yeah." Tara's friendly smile had dropped as easily as it had appeared, replaced by pursed lips and a slight scowl. "He's not telling us something," she murmured. "I don't know if I trust this..."

Kingfisher

As much as he did not want to, Joshua agreed with Tara.  One did not survive by trusting everyone.  The leaders of the Ash Guard seemed genuine in most of his dealings with them though, so it was hard to mistrust Wolfram outright.  "What would he gain by turning on us?"  It was an honest question.  Turning in a mage or two did not seem lucrative and would likely backfire violently given some of the groups other deals.  Working with Karrian seemed simply was not their style...plus Wolfram's distaste regarding the bandit seemed real.

No, for the life of him, the smith could not think of an angle that benefitted the mercenaries in any meaningful way.  "I think we can trust Michael.  But if you must, you can try to get some better answers out of him."  It seemed like the swordsman was keeping things close to the vest but it could not hurt to try...

Most of the camp was massing in the center, drawn by the smell of cooking food.  Nearby, a girl held a simulator.  Wolfram was giving her instruction, nudging her feet apart, showing her how to hold the blunted sword.  Joshua could not yet make out the words, though and could not guess at the complexity of his advice.

DragonSong

She considered a moment, then shrugged. "Well, if you trust him I suppose that's good enough for me."

She watched the training a few moments longer, one brow quirking up, and eventually called out, "Oi, you're teaching her how to fight like a soldier, not a merc. What's with you lot?"

Kingfisher

Hearing the bard's exclamation, the swordsman paused, turning.  A number of other mercenaries did as well but most returned to their own converstions.  Wolfram stepped away from his student and said, "I wasn't aware there was a difference between them."  It was a sentiment Joshua had to agree with.  "Mind explaining your meaning?"

The girl with the practice sword stepped close as well.  She seemed to expect this to turn into some sort of added lesson, whether from Tara or her instructor.

DragonSong

With the attention on her, the bard felt herself shrinking back a bit. "Just...you're teaching her like she's gotta fight to protect. Mercs fight for coin."