Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

On Feathered Wings

Started by Paladienne, October 08, 2018, 10:17:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paladienne

Artemis grinned again. He couldn't help it. Had she not heard him mention his siblings? It didn't matter if she had or had not; he didn't mind speaking about them again. So long as she was beside him, he didn't care what she asked or how often she asked it, so long as she was right there beside him. Her master hadn't given him a time limit in which to finish this project, so he delayed on purpose just to keep her there. Oh, Artemis knew that at any time she could leave to attend to her own duties, or leave to attend to her master, or leave simply because she was bored with him and what he was doing, but so long as she was beside him now, he didn't think about the possibility of her being out of his sight.

"Yes," Artemis said as he exchanged the tool in his hand for another one, easing this flat-headed metal crank into the machine, "I have two siblings. They're both quite younger than I, and of different Houses. That is, neither of them look like me. My sister is like my bibi, that is, my mother. My brother is of House Phaeton, and looks like a walking sun."

He made the slight adjustment, then leaned back, studying his work for a minute before he turned his attention back to Shae. "Being the oldest, I was responsible for them while our parents went to hunt on the tundra. They were a handful, let me tell you. Each of them could get into trouble together and they could get into trouble separately. I can't tell you how many times I heard "I didn't do it" when it was completely obvious they did do it."

Artemis shifted to face her better, studying her face and eyes to commit them both to his memory. "And what about you, Shae? Do you like this place? What you do? I heard you're the raven keeper. That must be an important job."

DragonSong

Oh, right, he had said something about younger siblings. She flushed a bit for forgetting so quickly, but he didn't seem to mind explaining in more detail.

She smiled as he described his family, once more finding herself caught up in the cadence of his voice. She almost allowed her eyes to fall closed as she listened, unconsciously leaning in toward him.

Once she realized what she was doing, she flushed pink and jerked herself upright, looking down at her feet. Why is he even telling me all this? She wasn't used to people actually...paying attention to her. Humoring her. She was Little Shadow, just the silent keeper for the birds.

It took her a moment to realize he'd asked her questions. Once she had, she started slightly and blinked at him, processing. Carefully, she raised her hands to sign, I...like it here. I've been here since I was a child. She held her hand down just below her hip, adding, Very little.

Quickly, she continued, It's really not very important. I take care of the birds. Feed them, keep them clean and happy, raise the little ones, train them. It's not difficult, anyone could do it really. Just needs patience.

Paladienne

"Ah." Artemis smiled. "Well, if your master allows me to stay for a while, and if you have the time, I'd love to see your little friends, and to see what you do. If that won't interfere with your duties at all."

To be able to see where she worked, to see what she did, fascinated Artemis. Never had he really seen what humans did for a living, and here was one who wasn't afraid of him. Granted, he prayed she wasn't afraid of him, because he was certain he might die without her, that he might die if she rejected him, but he hoped that she would be willing to show him her world, just as he'd tried to explain his world to her.

But first...

"I think I've kept your master waiting long enough." Artemis smiled. "Would you like to see what this does?"

He made a few adjustments, then put the machine back together, carefully fitting the pieces until he could secure them properly. Then he shifted, and after turning a small dial, he watched with a pleased smile as the mechanisms began to turn, and the clock hands on the face of the machine began to tick, slowly moving in precisely measured increments.

DragonSong

Shae smiled and nodded, signing, It wouldn't be any trouble. I could show you the aerie. She mouthed the words to the best of her ability, used to having to do so for other members of the household who weren't as familiar with her signing.

When he offered to show her what he'd been tinkering with, she blinked and looked up into his face, lips slightly parted. Quickly, she shook her head and signed, I can't. Master Barkus will want to see first, it's not my place.

She couldn't stop herself from glancing longingly at the tiny device though, and a smile curved at her lips when she saw that it was indeed working properly. She glanced up at Artemis again with a little nod of appreciation and respect-- even if she didn't really understand it, she could admire good work when she saw it.

Paladienne

Artemis smiled as he watched her do her best not to look at the timepiece, but he could tell curiosity was winning over propriety. When she looked at him and smiled, it felt as if his world was perfect, that everything had just been set right and nothing would ever destroy it. He reached out then to pick up the device, cradling it in his large hands as he shifted to rise off his seat.

"Well, before I go see the aerie, shall we go show this to... what did you say his name was? Master Barkus?" Artemis smiled, showing just a little bit of sharp teeth. "And then, if indeed he allows me to stay and work for him, you can show me the aerie. If I show him and he likes it, then perhaps you can keep me company while I work on other things for him. And perhaps I could come visit you, when I take breaks."

He didn't move for the longest time, just staring at Shae. He could look at her forever, he knew, but he needed to get moving, and he needed her to show him the way. Yet, he couldn't bring himself to prompt her to do so. He longed to just toss aside his work and gather her into his arms and hold her tight, but he knew that would be improper and it would certainly scare her. So he finally gave her another smile and tilted his head.

"Shae? Will you show me the way?"

DragonSong

He was just...looking at her. Why was he looking at her? Instinctively, the raven keeper raised her hand to her throat, worried that perhaps her scars were showing. But no, the collar of her shirt hid her neck well enough, that shouldn't have been drawing his attention.

And yet something evidently had, because there he was. Looking at her. She blushed and glanced away, utterly bewildered by the attention. No one had ever seemed to care so much if she was there or not, let alone...whatever his interest seemed to be.

Swallowing a little nervously, she mouthed and signed, Yes, I can show you. It's just this way. Quickly turning on her heel, she made her way back out of the workshop and into the manor proper, glancing over her shoulder every now and then to make sure Artemis was following as she led him through the halls to Barkus's main office.

Paladienne

Artemis smiled at her blush, feeling somewhat accomplished in achieving that reaction. He'd noticed her scars, but he hadn't mentioned anything about them. If anything, to him, they only enhanced her beauty and, more so, they were a part of her. She was his Resonance and he loved her the moment he'd laid eyes upon her. Nothing would change that, at least, not for him. He still didn't know what Shae felt about him, and he wasn't about to broach the subject with her this early. Perhaps after they got to know each other better and perhaps after more time had passed. He wanted to move quickly, though. He, after all, had years left to his life. There was no telling how much time she had left.

He picked up the device and quickly followed her, his longer strides allowing him to keep up with her easily. He didn't want to overtake her, nor did he feel it was his place to walk by her side yet. Besides that, he wasn't quite sure about the etiquette he was to follow amongst these humans. He knew he was supposed to show proper respect to Barkus, as he was a lord and the master of this manor. And, if he enjoyed Artemis's work, Barkus would become his master. Artemis wasn't sure exactly what having a master entailed, but he supposed he could always learn from Shae and the others who lived and served the man. And anyway, it wouldn't be for the rest of Artemis's lifetime. He could deal with it for as long as it took, for as long as he could be with Shae, he would deal with anything.

When they reached the office, Artemis stopped Shae from knocking with a light touch to her shoulder. "Allow me." He lifted his fist and knocked twice on the door before saying, "My lord, I've finished the device. May I enter?"

DragonSong

"What? Yes, yes, come in then."

Shae bit her bottom lip as she nudged the door open and nodded for Artemis to go through, hanging back a few steps. She'd follow if she needed to, but she really wasn't all that interested in drawing Barkus's attention back to her presence, not if he was still in his mood.

The master of the house sat behind his desk, pouring over a sheaf of papers, and he looked up as the door opened. One eyebrow quirked upward. "You're done, you say? I'll admit, that was quicker than I'd expected."

Paladienne

Artemis gave Shae a smile, then slipped past her into Barkus's office. He really wasn't sure how to deal with nobility - at least, human nobility - but he assumed that all nobility was the same. At least, the same as it pertained to manners. So Artemis stopped just before Barkus's desk and bowed, uncertain if he was bowing the proper way for a human lord. But, he was certain, Barkus would correct him if he was or wasn't, considering what was riding upon his performance with this device.

He rose then, and set the device upon the lord's desk, letting the piece's movements act as a testament to his skill. Artemis smiled slightly, though, and replied, "Once I figured out the problem, it was only a matter of finding the proper tools and replacement parts. I do have my own tools, but they only helped so much in this. And the replacement parts I found amongst the other things in the workshop."

He didn't dare ask if it met the lord's qualifications. Artemis only wanted to hear one answer, and that was the answer that would allow him to stay close to Shae.

DragonSong

"Hmm." Lord Barkus picked up the device and turned it over in his hands. He was quiet for several long moments, studying it.

Shae found herself biting her lip and twisting her fingers back and forth absently, strangely anxious. She knew nothing of tinkering, but it seemed to her that Artemis had done a fine job, and very quickly-- surely that should meet her lord's expectations?

Of course...what did it matter if it didn't? The red giant was pleasant enough company, but why did she find herself so invested in his fate here? She hardly knew anything about him, really.

Barkus gave a sharp grunt and thunked the repaired device back down onto his desk. "Very well." He steepled his fingers in front of his face, eyeing Artemis. "You have a job here, if you want it."

Paladienne

"I humbly accept," Artemis rumbled, bowing low. "Just tell me what it is you'd like me to do, and I shall do it."

He rose from the bow and glanced over his shoulder to where Shae hovered by the door. He gave her a wink and smiled at her, then returned his attention to Barkus, hoping the man hadn't quite seen his motions, and if he did, that he didn't mind them. After all, the last thing Artemis wanted to do was get Shae in trouble.

DragonSong

"Excellent." Barkus looked back down at his paperwork and waved vaguely toward the door. "Go find Philips, my steward. He knows what needs doing. Ah." He glanced up, seemed to notice Shae was still standing there, and added, "The ravenkeeper can show you."

Shae nodded quickly, and signed, Yes, I can. She found herself smiling at Artemis, strangely...almost relieved that he would be staying.

Paladienne

Artemis looked at Shae and couldn't help but grin. He quickly schooled his face back into a properly neutral expression when he turned back to regard Barkus and bowed deeply to his new master. "By your leave, then, sir."

When Barkus gave his permission, the Antares elf headed straight for the door and the girl beyond it, smiling brightly at her. He closed the door behind him and stood straight and tall, looking down at Shae.

"Well," Artemis began, keeping his voice soft, "I guess I'm staying. And I guess you ought to show me where this steward is." He reached out then and laid his hand on Shae's head, ruffling her hair playfully. "Or we can just wander around the estate, looking for him, and you can show me around."

DragonSong

Shae's eyes widened and she flinched automatically when his hand came down on her head. But when the touch was gentle, came with no pain, she blinked and stared up at him, lips slightly parted. Then a smile spread across her face and she nodded quickly.

I can show you to Philips's quarters, she signed quickly, then remembered herself, paused, and repeated the movements, mouthing the words as best she could while she signed.

She paused again, felt her cheeks warm, and added, even slower, Or we can...wander. As long as I get you to Philips before dinner it will be alright. Which would you rather?

Paladienne

Artemis smiled. He honestly didn't care what they did, so long as he was able to spend time with her. It was like everything in his world felt right and good, and he didn't want to leave her side. Still, he knew that if he wanted to stay here and if he wanted to stay in the good graces of Lord Barkus, he would need to attend to his duties sooner rather than later. Still, to have an excuse to spend time with Shae, he decided he would risk it.

"Why don't you show me to his quarters after you show me around the estate?" Artemis gave her a bright smile, ruffling her hair again. He didn't want her to flinch every time he reached for her, but until he could break her of that habit, or figure out why she did, he would limit his touching. He didn't want to scare her or make her uncomfortable. "Unless you're that eager to get rid of me?"

DragonSong

It was hard not to flinch, there was only so much she could do against years of conditioning. But the ravenkeeper had come to, if not expect, at least not be so startled by the red giant's sudden shows of affection. She managed not to duck away from his hand and even smiled at him a bit, crinkling her nose up playfully as she tried to smooth her hair back down when he withdrew his hand.

I can do that, she sighed easily, and started off down the hall with a beckoning gesture for Artemis to follow. She hesitated a moment, started to sign, then huffed and shook her head. Once more she fetched pen and parchment from the sash around her middle and quickly scribbled something down as she walked before handing it back to Artemis. Her cheeks had gone slightly ruddy with a blush.

I'd actually like to show you around. Not want to get rid of you. I like "talking" to you. Her handwriting was shaky, but legible, and it seemed that her "talking" notation was actually an attempt at a joke, as she smiled at him sheepishly when she handed off the note.

Paladienne

Artemis read the note with a smile, his fiery eyes flicking from the paper to Shae and back again. He loved that about her, her determination and her willingness to keep trying when she could have given up. She was willing to find a way to communicate with him until he could learn how she spoke, until he could learn her language, so that they could speak to each other without proxies. Or rather, so she could speak to him without a piece of paper or someone else telling him what it was she was saying. He chuckled softly and handed the paper back to her.

"I like talking to you, too, Shae." Artemis replied, his voice soft and gentle. "Being around someone who isn't scared of me... that's quite refreshing. I'm quite different from everyone else here, and some have claimed I'm a monster. I can see that, I suppose, considering how I look."

He shrugged, as if the commentary of others didn't mean that much to him. And it didn't, really. The only opinion that mattered came from this tiny girl standing in front of him. For her, he'd do anything, he was certain of it.

"Now, are we going to stand here staring at each other, or are you going to show me around the estate? Because I'm all for standing here staring at each other." He said with a playful wink. "I like the company and the view is quite nice, as well."

DragonSong

The ravenkeeper went bright red, from her hairline down to the tips of her toes. The view was nice? Did that mean...her?

Oh gods.

Coughing into her clenched fist, Shae shook her head and ducked her eyes in an effort to rid herself of the blush. Then all of his words seemed to register-- some have claimed I'm a monster-- and she suddenly frowned, staring at the floor for several long moments. She hesitated, then took a breath and pulled out her scrap paper again.

Carefully, deliberately, she wrote Sunset, and turned the paper to show Artemis the word. Putting the paper to the side, she signed the word. Sunset. Sunset.

She picked the paper up again and wrote beneath the first word Kind. She showed him that, then signed it twice. Kind. Kind.

Finally, she took the paper back and wrote in large, distinct letters, Artemis. She glanced up at his face with another soft blush before showing him the paper, then signing, Sunset, kind. Two more times: sunset, kind.

His name, or at least how she was choosing to express it. Shae took in a shaky little breath and signed, I don't think you're a monster. She didn't bother translating that, too embarrassed, just turned to continue down the hall with a hand beckoning him to follow over her shoulder. She needed to actually do her job, or Barkus would get angry again.

Paladienne

Artemis smiled and followed Shae as she headed down the hall, acting like an overly large duckling trailing behind its mother. He'd memorized what she'd signed, and behind her back Artemis practiced the signs she made with her hands to indicate words. He was determined, then, to learn how to speak like she did, or at least to understand how she spoke so that she didn't always have to write for him. It would take practice, but if they spent time together as he hoped they would, then he would learn eventually.

For the time being, though, he would have to rely upon what she gave him, which meant he would be left in the dark unless he recognized the motions she made. If she didn't write something down for him, that was. He took a strange sort of pride in the way she described him - sunset, kind - and for the first time since arriving in these strange lands, he didn't feel so out of place and feel so strange. Shae eased something inside him, something that had been wound so tight that it threatened to break at the slightest provocation. She was his heart and his life, though Artemis knew he couldn't tell her that. She wouldn't believe that he could know that she was destined for him just after one look, after only spending a few hours with her. And so, he would keep that secret, at least until she was ready to hear it.

"I hope," Artemis said, keeping his voice even and his tone soft, "that I won't be keeping you from your duties. I don't want you getting in trouble, Shae. There'll be plenty of time for us to spend together, since it seems I'm staying on."

DragonSong

Shae glanced back at him and shook her head, smiling in reassurance. No trouble, she signed quickly. Master Barkus asked me to show you around, anyhow.

It wasn't too much further to the steward's quarters, and the ravenkeeper suddenly found herself dragging her feet a bit. Once she realized what she was doing she blushed deeply, shook herself, and tried to walk at a brisker pace.

It was so strange. She'd hardly spent a few hours with this man, but she found she truly enjoyed his company. Not only that, he actually seemed to be interested in the things she said-- or, well, signed. And despite what he said, she knew that even with him working here, considering how her duties kept her sequestered away in the aerie she wouldn't see much of him after this.

She bit at her lower lip, frowning in thought as she walked.