Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

On Feathered Wings

Started by Paladienne, October 08, 2018, 10:17:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paladienne

Artemis smiled as he followed Shae around the property. He was fascinated in what she showed him, asking questions if only to watch her fingers move while she tried to speak to him. He was beginning to see common "letters" being formed, and he was starting to put things together, but until he managed to convince her to teach him, there wasn't going to be much helping him unless he knew exactly what it was she was trying to sign.

He knew that she had duties of her own that she needed to attend to. And he knew that she would have to take care of those sooner or later and leave him to his own devices. He hoped that he would be able to see her often, but even he knew that was unlikely unless their respective assignments allowed them to do so. He might have more freedom as a tinker, but he knew that it would mean his job if he interfered with Shae's. So he learned and he kept quiet, and when the tour was over, Artemis figured he knew just about where everything was on the property.

Now, though, it was time to part with her.

"I hope that I'll be able to see you again, Shae," Artemis said, smiling as he offered his hand to her. "Perhaps more often than our duties will permit."

He wanted to bend down and kiss her, but that wouldn't be appropriate, he knew. So instead, he just offered her a small smile and gave her small hand a squeeze.

"And maybe," Artemis added with a wink, "I might be able to get away to visit you more than you'd be able to get away to visit me."

DragonSong

Shae took his hand when he offered it, for a moment utterly distracted by the contrast of his large, red fingers wrapping her slender little pale ones. Then his voice jerked her back into the present and she shook her head, looking up into his face.

She smiled, tiny and bright, and nodded quickly. I'd like that, she mouthed and signed once he'd released her hand. I would like that very much. Thank you.

With a little dip of her head and knees-- not quite a curtsy, but something approaching one-- the ravenkeeper lowered her gaze again and moved to step around him so he could enter Phillips's office. She had her own duties to return to, after all.

Paladienne

Artemis smiled and watched her go, then entered the office to introduce himself and learn what his duties were to be, exactly. He listened without too much expression appearing on his face, and nodded when he thought it was required. He knew it would take time before he was able to perform most of his duties without being supervised or instructed, but Artemis was willing to learn. And learn he did. Most of the time he was awake, Artemis spent learning how to navigate the manor and estate, the names of the people he worked with now, how to properly dine around humans, and other things that one might not consider important, but he did. Artemis also learned how to better read Shae's fingers, such that, as time wore on, he no longer needed her to write down a translation for him. That, of course, took much more time than Artemis would've liked, for he saw Shae sparingly, whenever she was free of her duties and he of his, or if she found him tinkering away in the shed he called his workspace.

Artemis enjoyed having Shae around, and missed her fiercely when she was gone. He knew she was on the estate, in her tower, taking care of her ravens while also fulfilling her duties to her master. He couldn't go visit her whenever he wanted, for he was kept busy fixing this or that and repairing this or that or doing some kind of preventative maintenance that took up most of his time. He wished he had more time to spend with her, but he couldn't afford to alienate Lord Barkus, nor Shae herself. He didn't quite understand most human customs, but he'd overheard that women didn't like it when men came on too strong, and Artemis feared pushing Shae before she was ready. She didn't understand the bond he now had with her as he understood it. Resonance could be frightening thing for the Starstrider experiencing it, because there was so much left unknown, unexperienced, undecided. It could be even more terrifying for someone not of his race to experience on the receiving end. Until he was sure Shae was receptive for any kind of advance on his part, Artemis would continue being her friend.

He was afraid that too much time would pass before he could see her again, but he found himself one day walking toward the aviary, his bag of tools slung over his shoulder. He'd received orders to go repair a broken cage, as well as anything else the ravenkeeper needed fixed, and so Artemis went, a smile on his face at the thought of spending time with Shae.

He knocked on the door to the tower, calling out, "Shae! Are you in there?"

DragonSong

The door swung open when he knocked, and a swooping blur of blue-black feathers dove for the opening with a triumphant caw.

Before the raven could make his escape though, a sharper, louder croak sounded from the other end of the circular tower room and the bird drew up short, fluttering up to land perched just above the door frame, head cocked curiously at their guest.

The aerie was a rather simple space: hay-lined floor of stone, the rather tall walls ringed with three different levels of wooden catwalks that were protected both from falling into the room and from the long, thin windows by barred rails at about waist height. A variety of niches and perches were set into the higher levels along the walls, and the scaffolding of the ceiling was left uncovered to serve as perches for the birds, who mostly seemed to be allowed free rein of the space, very few of them in cages.

Those that were enclosed behind bars were clearly nesting, and on closer inspection one could see that the doors to their cages were left open. These cages were closer to floor level, so that the ravenkeeper would not have to climb all those stairs to check on the roosting mothers.

The ravenkeeper in question was on the second level of the catwalk, and after reprimanding her charge for attempting to scare Artemis, she leaned out over the rail and waved to her new friend, smiling brightly. Her hair fell haphazardly around and over her face as she raised her hands to sign: Hello! I didn't know you were coming. Stay there, I'll be right down.

Paladienne

Artemis stared at the raven perched above his head and dared it to do something crazy. He narrowed his sunset eyes at the avian, then bared his sharp teeth at the bird. "If you're not careful," Artemis whispered, "you might find yourself spitted and roasted." Then he winked, so the bird would know he was just joking. He wouldn't dare to hurt any creature Shae cared for so much, no matter what it did to him.

Then he turned to the girl, smiling brightly as he stepped into the aviary and headed toward her, looking at the different cages and the roosts, studying the birds and the expectant mothers with a keen eye. He'd never seen so many birds in one place that weren't feeding or flocking with the intent of escaping a predator. Seeing her sign, Artemis waved a hand. "Take your time, Shae! I'm not in a rush. I was told that there was something here I needed to fix. Some cages with broken doors and floors, or something like that, so here I am."

He held up his bag of tools as if to corroborate his story. "If you're busy, I can wait. I guess I could also make a new friend." He gestured toward the bird that had tried to scare him, giving the raven a knowing smile.

DragonSong

Shae smiled again and signed that she could show him the cages that needed fixing, she just needed a moment to climb back down. With a smirk, she added the signs for "trick" or "trouble" and "foot", then spelled out the name T-R-I-C-K-F-O-O-T. She pointed to the raven and signed again, Trickfoot.

As though he recognized the introduction, Trickfoot cawed almost cheekily and fluffed his feathers up, eyeing Artemis with a combination of curiosity and wariness.

Paladienne

"Trickfoot, eh?" Artemis said, eyeing the raven as he was being eyed in return. When the bird puffed himself up, Artemis lifted his lips to display his sharp teeth. Two could play at this game, and just because one opponent had wings didn't mean the other had no tricks of his own. Then Artemis let his lips fall back over his teeth and he gave an extremely flamboyant bow to the bird. "A pleasure to meet you, Lord Trickfoot."

He pulled himself upright and winked at Shae as she climbed down to join him. "Sometimes you have to give trouble to trouble. It might cancel out, if you're lucky. Otherwise, it backfires, and then you have nothing but chaos."

The large Starstrider chuckled softly to himself then and reached toward Shae, moving slowly so she would know that he wasn't trying to harm her. He plucked a bit of straw from her hair then and brought it in front of her face to show her the hollow stick. "If I didn't know any better, I'd say you were having troubles of your own."

DragonSong

The ravenkeeper blinked up at him, suddenly distracted by his closeness and-- had she been in the aerie too long, or did he just smell really nice for some reason?

Flushing, Shae shook her head in an effort to ground herself and shuffled her feet. With a sideways little smile, she raised her hands to sign, Not trouble, exactly. Just...maintenance.

Trickfoot flutter from his perch above the door to land on her shoulder, setting about preening her hair, and Shae reached up to stroke his feathers absently. With a nod for Artemis to follow her, she continued, A few of the roosting mothers don't have proper cages. Two of them are missing floors, and the bars are almost rusted through on one. I've been keeping the mothers near to my cot to keep an eye on them.

She gestured toward the tiny bed tucked away against the far wall, where on closer inspection one could see a series of nests tucked just under it.

Paladienne

Artemis looked away from Shae toward where she gestured, seeing her tiny bed and then the nests just underneath it. It was certainly a safe place for the mothers to keep their eggs, for no one would dare risk Shae's wrath in order to get at the eggs - if anyone or anything came for the eggs, that was. And it was clear to him that these ravens trusted Shae in a way he'd never seen animals trust any human or elf before. It wasn't just trained loyalty; it was love. Artemis smiled and felt his own skin warm slightly at that thought. His Resonance was a kind soul, loving, and caring. It was little wonder that the ravens showed her the same love in return.

"Well," he began, "it won't be hard to find something to make floors out of, and as for new bars, I'm sure I can find something in my workshop that will suffice. I just have to take a look at the cages themselves in order to see what exactly it is I need to do with them."

And, Artemis decided, he'd take his time doing that, just to spend as much time with Shae as he could. He missed her, he knew. The knowledge that she was there on the property gave him a small modicum of comfort, but it couldn't compare to being in her presence.

DragonSong

Shea beamed at him and signed an enthusiastic, Thank you! before she turned and gestured for him to follow her as she led him around the aerie, pointing out which cages need upkeep and what was wrong with them.

Trickfoot settled himself on her shoulder, evidently content to come along for the ride. He clucked and chattered quietly to her all the while she showed Artemis around the aerie, and a few times Shae had to lift a hand to hide a smile or stifle a snort at his comments.

It wouldn't do to let her guard down, even around Artemis. It hurt a little, knowing she had to keep a secret from him-- but it was a secret she'd kept her whole life, and despite the fact that Artemis was not Connlaothian, and she liked to think they were becoming quite good friends, she could not risk slipping, even in front of him.

If anyone realized that she not only cared for the ravens, but could speak to them as well... She didn't want to think about it.

Paladienne

Artemis moved toward the cages Shae had indicated, studied the cages. He could see where the floors had rotted through on a few of them. He reached out and touched the wood, finding it spongy. It flaked off easily under his fingertips, and there was a heady smell to it; those would have to be replaced entirely. His eyes shifted to the wiring, finding it rusty. It might could be saved, but it would have to be cleaned and treated before it could go back on the cage and be around little birds. If it could go back at all. He thought he might be able to salvage the wiring, but that might be all he might be able to save.

Other cages weren't in as too bad a shape. The wood would still need to be taken care of, but it hadn't quite rotted yet. Nor was it growing anything that would be unhealthy for little ravens. But he'd clean it and care for it, and ensure that it would be safe. He'd do the same with the wiring on these cages as well. He could probably temper the wire a little, ensure that nothing would ever be able to grow on the metal. He was fairly certain he could get away with a little bit of fire, so long as he did it when no one was looking. He had learned, quickly, that these humans regarded magic with an attitude of intense dislike, and he didn't want to risk being separated from Shae any more than he already was. He glanced toward Shae and Trickfoot. Probably safer to do that in the privacy of his shed. He didn't want to alarm her or make her frightened of him. She was one of the few who weren't afraid of him on sight, after all.

"Okay, I think I know what I can do." Artemis said, turning to look at Shae. "I'll take the worst ones back to my workshop, where I can do a little more with them. But I'll bring my tools back and see what I can do with the ones that aren't in need of an entire refurbishing."

He picked up the worst of the cages then, carrying them two by two from the eyrie to his workshop. He made sure to keep the door closed in between trips so that Trickfoot wouldn't fly out, and then, once he'd transferred all of the worst of the cages, returned with his bag of tools, a roll of wire he'd found when he'd been cleaning up the workshop for his personal use, and as many slats of wood as could fit under his arm. He set everything on the floor by the cages, then picked up the first of the bunch, using his pliers to begin pulling the wire from the wood.

"I'll get as many as I can done today," he said, looking up at Shae with a smile. "Don't mind me, okay? Just pretend I'm not here and do what you need to do."

DragonSong

She watched him work with interest, though any time he happened to glance in her direction she quickly ducked her eyes and allowed her hair to fall in front of her face, hopefully hiding any sign of the blush she had a feeling had taken up permanent residence on her cheeks.

The ravenkeeper nodded happily when he returned with his tools, signing that she would be around to assist him if he needed an extra pair of hands.

Her work was really quite simple, after all, as long as there wasn't a sudden influx of messages needing to be sent out. The ravens themselves seemed mostly content to remain on their perches or occasionally flutter through the rafters, some even swooping out the high, thin windows near the top of the tower to stretch their wings in the fresh air for a while.

Shae didn't seem worried about them. She'd never had a bird not return before, and besides, the only ones who really needed her attention-- more so than usual-- were the nesting mothers. She made sure to check on them every so often, but for the most part left them to their own devices, unless they gave one of those sharp, rough calls that summoned her to their nests.

Paladienne

Artemis traded his attention between his work and Shae. He loved watching her move around the eyrie, loved watching the kindness and gentleness that she showed the ravens, treating them as if they were her own children. And perhaps they were. He realized he knew little about her, save for what he'd learned by overhearing what the other servants said - they never knew that their whispers were as loud as their normal voices to him - and by learning what Shae herself told him. He knew she'd been here for a long time, that her only job was caring for these ravens, and that she knew nothing more that he could really dig for. That was fine by him. He didn't need to know everything about her past. He only needed to know her present. And, hopefully, he could know her future, and be part of her future, as well.

He finished the flooring of one cage, smoothing the wood with a piece of rough sandpaper. He checked the edges and the flat planes, running his red fingers over the wood's surface to ensure that there were no rough spots and no snags that would catch feet, claws, or feathers. He set the boards into the frame and nailed them together, ensuring the top of the nails were flush with the wood. Only then did he begin to attach the wire back to the frame, careful with how he twisted the metal. Artemis held the finished cage out at arm's length, examining his work to make sure he didn't miss a spot of rust or left too big an opening that a small hatchling could fall through and get hurt.

He knew, though, the final call rested with only one person.

So he rose from his seat and carried the cage over to Shae, smiling as he presented it to her. "The first of many, but, what do you think?"

DragonSong

When he called to her, Shae nearly tripped as she got to her feet. She just wasn't used to sharing this space with another person, and that sudden uncertainty made her feel awkward and gangly, much to her chagrin.

Blushing, she reached out to take the cage he offered her, examining the mended wire and the new wood. For a moment she just breathed, closing her eyes and drinking in the scent of cedar, crisp and strangely comforting.

It seemed strong enough, and she handed the mended cage back to him with a smile. You're good at your job, she signed with a hint of a sparkling in those wine red eyes. I'm sure the roosting mothers will be happy to have such a new home.

Paladienne

Artemis smiled as Shae approved his work, and he took it back with a gentle touch of her hands, his fingers lightly scraping over the backs of hers as he accepted the cage. "I'm glad you approve." he said, letting his deep voice rumble through the room. He looked toward the ravens then, his smile becoming a little softer. "Now we'll just have to see if they like it, too."

He moved to place the cage in its proper place, settling it carefully and adjusting it until it was just perfect. Then he stepped back, checking his handiwork again. He touched the cage lovingly, then returned to his spot to begin working on the second cage, glancing up between his work to Shae to the cage and back again. Truthfully, he was hoping the ravens would check out the cage on their own, and decide if they liked his work as much as Shae did. But what really made him happy was seeing Shae smile, and he was determined to see her smile again.

DragonSong

Without quite thinking about what she was doing, Shae wrapped her hands around Artemis's forearm and pulled him back with her to perch on the edge of her bed. She croaked softly, low in her ruined throat, and a few answering calls came from the roosting mothers beneath her bed.

One of the ravens who had yet to actually lay her eggs, a bird Shae called Brightcry, fluttered from her makeshift next and perched on the edge of the newly repaired cage. She stuck her head inside curiously, cawed once, then hopped forward and began poking about in earnest.

Shae grinned and looked up at Artemis. It was only then she seemed to realize she still gripped his arm. Flushing darkly, she quickly let go and signed a stuttering, She seems to like it. I can help them move their nests once all the repairs are done.

Paladienne

Artemis's hearts skipped several beats when he felt those slim arms wrap around his own and pull him back to the bed. Yes, they were just sitting on the edge, but she was clinging to him like she wanted him there, and the warmth of her body seeped through to the warmth of his, mingling in the little space between them. His cheeks darkened in color, and he could feel his blood running faster in his veins. He looked down at Shae with an expression akin to shock and desperate want and need, but when he saw she wasn't looking at him, Artemis's blood slowed and his expression changed into a softer, more pleased look. When she croaked, and there were answering calls, Artemis turned his head toward the cage he'd just build, watching as one raven left her nest to inspect the new shelter.

Artemis saw Shae's head turn, and turned his own to look at her. The smile on her face, it was so beautiful, so bright, that Artemis found himself smiling in return, almost wide enough to show off his sharp teeth. Then he saw her eyes widen and suddenly he was without her warmth at his side, his arm free to be his own again, while she was looking embarrassed. While he suddenly missed her presence beside him, she hadn't actually left, and so he accepted it. He wasn't going to force Shae to do anything; she would be the one to decide how close she allowed him to be.

He watched her fingers sign, and his smile became gentler, pleased. "I'm glad she likes it. It shouldn't take me too long to get the rest finished, at least as far as the least damaged ones are concerned." He looked toward the raven exploring the cage he'd repaired. "The ones that need a total overhaul will take me a little more time."

DragonSong

Shae nodded quickly to show she understood, and signed cheerfully, If I can do anything to help, just let me know.

For a moment she just sat beside him in silence, unsure what to say or do but not really wanting to move either, for some reason. Eventually, she gave an awkward little bob of her head and a harsh, rasping cough low in her ravaged throat, rather sutteringly getting to her feet.

I can...fetch the other cages? She offered, her fingers a bit more clumsy than usual. What was wrong with her?

Paladienne

Artemis watched as Shae moved away from him, as if she were trying to flee. Was she afraid of him? No, not him... something else. Artemis gave a quick glance around the aerie, looking for potential danger, but there was none. So, the only thing that she was trying to escape from was him. Artemis felt a wave of sadness come across him, but he pushed it away. It was to be expected. He was, after all, a stranger to her, and his want to be close to her must be frightening. He'd thought that he'd hid it well, but he supposed not well enough.

He rose from the bed, offering her a tiny smile, one full of genuine affection. "Well, fetching the other cages would mean I'd have to finish with them, wouldn't it? Thankfully, we can speed up that process, if you want. You can help me."

He hoped that she would take him up on his offer, and that she would assist him. Perhaps then he could find out why she was suddenly so shy. Artemis could only wait for her response, watching her with an expression of happiness despite the sadness and uncertainty that ate away at him inside.

DragonSong

Shae smiled and nodded quickly, showing that she'd be more than happy to help. She started to get to her feet, but just as she did a sharp knock sounded against the aerie door. A few ravens took to the air, startled, and Shae herself jumped a bit and turned to the door with wide eyes. She didn't normally get people up here, so she was more than a little taken aback.

"Raven Keeper?" The knock came again, accompanied by a slightly irritated, feminine voice. Dana, Shae thought after a moment, one of the maids. "Mast Barkus needs to see you. Now."

Shae ran to the door and opened it, nodding at the woman quickly to show that she understood, then closed it again and turned back to Artemis.

Looking a little crestfallen, she gave a vague gesture of regret and signed, I really shouldn't keep him waiting. I'm sorry. I'll be right back.