Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

On Feathered Wings

Started by Paladienne, October 08, 2018, 10:17:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paladienne

He smoothed his hair down just to ensure that Trickfoot hadn't taken out any strands when he'd launched off his shoulder to greet Shae. Artemis sighed, running his fingers through the crimson locks before he dropped his hands to his sides and moved to give Shae a better view of the cages. He grinned at her as he saw her signing, his eyes following the movements of her fingers with expert grace.

"Long enough," he replied, his grin lessening into a smile. "And these are the last of them. I just have to get them secured to the base and then you and the girls can figure out what's best for everyone. I didn't do too much decoration, but I changed the way the doors work here."

He shifted to show her, his large fingers careful as he shifted the metal rings, tying a small string onto one of the inner rings. He first locked the cage, from the outside, then shifted toward the back so she could see how the string stretched as it followed him. Standing behind the cage, Artemis smiled.

"I made them so they can release from the inside." Artemis said. "So if something happens and you can't reach the cage, the raven inside can free him or herself, and escape."

He pulled on the string. The inner ring popped out from the others where Artemis had locked the cage door from the outside, allowing the door to swing open slightly, where the raven could easily shoulder it aside and take off, for whatever reason. "It also might make it easier for you to call whom you want, in the event you're on the other side of the room. It's entirely up to you and them to decide what the rules are."

He moved back around to the front of the cage and untied the string, shifting to set the rings again. "Come here, I'll show you how to do it."

He took her small hands in his and guided her fingers to the rings, showing her how it locked and how it opened, and how the raven on the other side could do the same. It was a simple mechanism, easy to learn, and easy to set and release. Artemis let go of Shae's hands and stepped back, smiling as he watched her do it for herself. After enough time had passed, he thought, Artemis folded his arms across his chest and focused his attention on her.

"So, are you feeling any better?" he asked at last.

DragonSong

Shae's eyes widened a bit as she watched him demonstrate the adjustments he'd made to the cages. She moved easily when he beckoned her forward to show her how to operate the doors. A very soft shiver tingled down her spine when his hands covered hers, something that was...new. New, and maybe a little terrifying.

She had an inkling of what it might mean, but she didn't quite know how to handle that just yet, so she ignored it.

She glanced back over her shoulder when he stepped back to let her try on her own. Eyes soft and lips curved into something like an admiring smile, she signed, You're so clever.

Then he folded his arms and looked at her like that, like he was peering into her soul, and she felt her stomach flip with a strange bout of nerves. She tried for another smile, though this one was clearly a little forced. Stepping back from the cage, she signed a little haltingly, I saw the healer. I just need to take it easy for a few days, I'll be fine.

Paladienne

Artemis studied her for a long while, his face set into a stoic mask. He didn't want to make her feel terrible, but he did want to remind her that she was the only reason he wasn't marching into Barkus's office and introducing his fist to the man's face. After a moment, Artemis sighed and smiled, a loving expression appearing on his face. He shifted to set his hands on Shae's shoulders, giving the small limbs a tight squeeze.

"I believe you. And I'll hold you to that promise. So if you need help, even for the littlest of things, you call me, okay?"

DragonSong

The raven keeper rolled her eyes a bit, but there was a fond smile still tugging at the edges of her lips. I'm not completely helpless, you know, she signed, gently teasing. I've been doing this job for years, Artemis. Sometimes I get hurt, but it's okay. I know how to handle it.

It wasn't until her hands had stopped moving that she realized that might not have been the smartest thing to say. She knew quite well enough by now exactly how protective her friend could be, and reminding him that this wasn't the first time Barkus had hurt her was probably not her best idea.

In an effort to distract him, she quickly reached up and took his hands from her shoulders, twining her fingers through his as she held their hands between them for a moment. Her smile widened a bit and she tugged gently, taking a few steps back, then released his hands to sign, Come with me? I wanna show you something.

She nodded over her shoulder as the rickety steps that led up to the first layer of catwalk that circled the aerie, head tilted questioningly.

Paladienne

Artemis smiled as she twined her fingers in his, warmth blossoming in his chest as she took hold of him of her own free will. That warmth spread through his entire body even as she released him to speak. His head tilted then, confused as to what she would want to show him.

But he trusted her, so he followed her, carefully maneuvering up the stairs to the catwalk, his amber eyes upon Shae. "What is it?" he asked finally, curiosity filling his voice.

DragonSong

Shae just smiled and led him further along the catwalk, to the second set of stairs, then the third, until they were on the third and highest level of the tiered system. She took his hand again and pulled him gently after her, toward one of the high, thin windows that dotted the circumference of the aerie.

She could feel her heart quicken its pace as she carefully pulled him a little closer. Nerves, both anxiety and excitement, thrummed in time with the beat.

She'd been thinking about this almost all day--longer than all day, really. Almost from the moment he'd left the aerie after she'd seen him destroy that hammer with magic.

It seemed almost unfair. Regardless of the fact that he had revealed that secret to her unwittingly, he had revealed it, and he'd been put in a position where he just had to trust her and believe that she spoke the truth when she said she would protect him.

Which she would, of course she would. But she couldn't help feeling that he...perhaps deserved something more than just her silent word.

Looking up at him, Shae took one of his hands between both of hers, held it for a moment, eyes locked on his. She released him slowly to sign, Watch. Watch and listen. Taking a breath, she turned back to the aerie and raised one hand, reaching out to the birds with her mind, the way she'd always done but had been so afraid to let anyone see. A soft croak came from her ruined throat and she twitched two fingers upward. Up.

Every raven in the aerie took to the air, every single bird willing and able to fly suddenly airborne, spiraling around the interior of the toward in a cyclone of onyx feathers.

Another breath, and Shae stepped back toward Artemis slightly with another subtle gesture of her hand and flicker of thought. Through, please

The storm of birds curved toward them, then dove through the window, one after the other, stunningly fluid and graceful, so close that the wind of their passage ruffled Shae's hair gently and she rocked back a bit instinctively, pressing herself into Artemis's chest for a moment.

Well. That was it. She'd done it. She could only hop he'd understood--and that her trust in him was worth his trust in her.

Breathing a little heavier than normal, Shae stepped away from him again quickly and turned to face him, letting her hands drop to her sides as she looked up at him, waiting. Her heart was in her throat, soft tremors running through her body with every breath. No one, no one in her entire life, had ever known that she had a beastspeaking ability, and she had absolutely no idea how he would react.

Paladienne

Artemis froze, staring with wide eyes as the ravens turned seamlessly in the air, following Shae's hands. Had she taught them all to do this? No, it was near to impossible for her to teach this many birds to respond to her hand signals alone. Something else had to be going on in order to achieve a reaction such as this. It took him a moment to realize what was going on, and he looked at Shae with a questioning look on his face.

Beastspeaking?

He'd whispered the word, as loudly as he dared. He'd never seen the ability himself before, but he'd heard about it. There had been no one in his village with the skill, but in a neighboring village, there had been talk of at least one person in each family having some kind of skill in communicating with animals. They had a different name for it, of course, but the idea was the same. And, moreover, during his travels in Connlaoth, he'd heard enough stories and hushed words about the ability to put two and two together.

After a minute, Artemis reached out to Shae, offering her his hand, palm up. He didn't touch her. He didn't dare. Her choice, as always. He smiled, keeping his voice low as he said, "Thank you, Shae, for sharing this with me. I'll keep it a secret forever. I swear."

DragonSong

Her shoulders slumped forward with sudden, powerful relief and she found herself smiling up at him almost giddily. She reached out to take his offered hand gently, gratefully. Her fingers circled his, as much as she could manage, and squeezed gently.

Drawing her hand back again, Shae looked up into his face and signed, We can...share the secrets, now?

The slight tilt to her head turned the statement into a question, though she thought she knew the answer. A faint blush colored her cheeks, and she couldn't seem to stop smiling.

He knew. She'd told him what she could do, and he wasn't even phased. Well, it probably wasn't that strange to him, considering his own abilities and where he came from. Still, she'd never expected to be able to tell anyone about her true connection to the ravens, and now that she had she felt...lighter.

She reached out to take his hand again--then changed her mind and stepped forward to wrap her arms around his waist in a loose hug. She held very still, unsure if the embrace would be welcomes, but it had just...felt like the right thing to do.

Paladienne

When she moved to hug him, Artemis blinked. This was the first time she had ever made the first move to touch him, to show him some kind of affection without him initiating it first. His hearts seemed to beat all the harder then, and warmth suffused his body. He felt that the world had just become brighter, and brighter still as she wrapped her arms around his waist. He wrapped his arms around her as well, holding her tightly to him. Or as tightly as he dared, not wanting to hurt her.

"Yes," Artemis whispered, kissing the top of her head, "we can share secrets now. You can tell me anything, Shae. Anything at all. I will keep your secrets, no matter what they are. From now until eternity."

DragonSong

The raven keeper stiffened slightly as he dropped a kiss on the top of her head, his arms moving to wrap around her. She wasn't sure what she'd been expecting really, if anything--but the sheer sense of comfort that enveloped her in that embrace was certainly not it.

Her eyes suddenly prickled dangerously and she felt her breath catch. Had she ever trusted someone as she had just trusted Artemis, as he was telling her she could trust him? Of course she had friends among the servants of the manor, but known knew that secret.

Shae squeezed her eyes shut and turned her face into his chest, drawing in a shaky breath in an effort to exert some control over herself. What was the matter with her?! Why...why didn't she want to move? It would just be so easy to stay there, stay safe...

She forced herself to pull away and lifted a hand to swipe at her eyes, trying to force a smile and a raw, rasping sound that was something approximating a chuckle. Sorry, she signed at him once she'd managed to calm her breathing somewhat. I've just...never told someone before.

She wasn't entirely sure that really explained the strange combination of powerful relief and just sheer safety she'd felt with his acceptance, but it was the best she could manage.

Paladienne

Artemis let her go and stepped back with a smile, restraining himself from pursuing Shae further than she was comfortable. She wasn't ready, and he knew that, and he wasn't going to make her uncomfortable. So he leaned back and folded his arms over his chest, looking at the ravens now settling on their perches. An easy smile was on his face, and he sighed softly.

"I've never told anyone before either." Artemis said at last. "At least... not since I left home. You're the only one who knows."

He turned his gaze to Shae again, and his smile became softer and more loving. "So don't be sorry, okay? We know each other's secrets now, and we can survive together, so long as we trust one another."

DragonSong

Shae took a small step away from him and turned to lean against the railing of the catwalk, watching her charges shuffle and flutter and cluck below them, a few still trailing back in through the narrow windows.

At the sound of Artemis's voice, she tilted her head toward him slightly, chin turned just barely over her shoulder. Her heart felt like it had taken up semi-permanent residence in her throat; every time he said something like that, it sent her pulse skyrocketing with some strange combination of relief, bewilderment, and some deep affection.

And fear. Which was usually a result of the affection, as far as she could tell. She had never trusted anyone as fully or quickly as she had trusted Artemis, even before telling him this secret.

We can survive together. What did that even mean? And why were such simply words both terrifying and somehow deeply reassuring?

She didn't know what to do with the thoughts and emotions swirling through her head, so she gave herself a brisk shake and tried to push them down, jerking sharply away from the rail.

We should head down, she signed with a little nod toward the stairs.

Paladienne

Artemis smiled and followed her back toward the stairs. As he descended, a strange feeling came over him, his eyes falling on Shae's back. He felt the rhythm of his hearts skip a beat, and wondered why that was. Peace was a warm blanket around them now, and a particularly warm one for him. He'd found her, the missing part of his soul, and so long as he was near her, nothing else mattered.

Or so he had believed.

Being so far away from the heart of conflict, Artemis hadn't paid much attention to the rumors of war igniting on the outer fringes of the land. His entire world was simply Shae and the manor of Barkus, and he cared nothing for the outside world. However, as he listened, he began to grow worried that the outside world was about to muscle in on his own. The rumor of war was becoming more a whisper, more a shouted message, than just a soft hiss on the wind.

Yet, Artemis was content to ignore the rumors. They hadn't yet touched the manor, despite the trepidation that lingered in his thoughts and hearts. There was peace. There was safety here. Artemis was content to throw himself into his work and stay with Shae, living and loving her as only he could.

However, at night, he'd begun watching the stars, seeing the subtle shifts of light and hue, and wondered if they weren't an ill omen foretelling something that he should pay attention to, but couldn't yet understand.

DragonSong

In a perverse, unfortunate way, war was good for business. Barkus made his living in trade, and as one of the few merchants still able to send caravans across the border while the chaos escalated, he quickly became one of the fewer still who maintained his methods and prosperity of trade.

Shae was busier than ever--it seemed that every few hours she was called down to her master's office to take one missive or another, then up to the aerie to tie it to a raven's leg and send the bird off. She had no idea what portion of the letters were for business and which were more personal, or even political; rich men had more than a loose grip on the politics of the land after all.

As weeks passed, the convivial, easy air around the manor began to fade, replaced slowly but surely with tight lines around the servant's eyes and mouths, Barkus's ever shortening temper, and a sort of looming cloud that hovered even on the clearest day.

Even so, Shae always, always made time to visit Artemis's workshop. In the midst of everything, he kept her grounded. Almost as much as the aerie, the workshop became a place of sanctuary, a place where she could just...be, just exist outside of the strange haze that had settled over the only home she'd ever known.

Sometimes her days were busy, however, and she wouldn't be able to make her way down to Artemis's work place until almost dark, or even after sunset. Such was the case on this particular evening, and the ravenkeeper held a woven shawl tight around her shoulders as she scurried across the courtyard in the ever-lengthening shadows, making her way toward her friend's workshop.

She reached the door and paused, taking a breath to collect herself, and raised her hand to knock.

At almost the same moment, a shuddering thudding sound came from the manor's front gate.

Paladienne

Artemis found no shortage of work from Barkus as the rumors of the war smoldered among the fringes of knowledge, having more projects than he could ever imagine. Fixing things was one thing, of course. Inventing was entirely another. And Barkus seemed to expect Artemis to invent one thing or another almost every week. Sometimes he liked the tinkerer's inventions, other times he didn't. Yet he didn't seem to find the drive to fire Artemis or tell him to leave, so Artemis was content doing whatever the lord wanted. After all, staying here was all he ever wanted to do. Shae was here. His heart, his other half... so long as he had her, he didn't care what he had to do.

He enjoyed her visits, always having something to entertain her with, whether it was an hourglass with soft black sand that felt like velvet when she dragged her fingers through it, or a new addition for her eyrie - a cage or a perch or something else both she and the ravens could enjoy - simply because he loved seeing her smile. And as she made time for him, he always made time for her, staying at the workshop late when he couldn't get away to visit her during the day at the eyrie. He didn't want to disrupt her schedule, busy at it had become, since Barkus seemed to monopolize Shae's time. He knew he had to share, especially since Barkus was both their master, and his wants and needs needed to be dealt with before their own. Besides, Artemis knew, it wasn't like they weren't ever able to spend time with one another. They made time as they could.

And now was one of those times.

Artemis had been staying late in his workshop purposefully so he could at least catch a glimpse of Shae if she hadn't already been by to visit him during the day. It was a habit he was used to, and one that pleased him, because his day was never complete until he'd seen her. So he kept a light burning and his door slightly ajar. The cold of the night had never bothered him, but he kept his workshop pleasantly warm just for her.

He glanced up as he noticed a shifting in the light from outside the door. A pleased smile spread across his face. She was here. Wasn't she? His smile faded. Why wasn't she coming inside?

Artemis rose from his seat and slowly moved toward the door, pausing before he reached to open it. "Shae?"

DragonSong

The sound of her name made her jump, and Shae whirled from her frozen stance of staring at the gate to face the slightly ajar door. Giving herself a brisk shake, she nudged the door open another few inches and smiled up at Artemis, though the expression didn't quite reach her eyes.

Sorry. She hovered in the doorway and glanced back over her shoulder before signing, The gate, there's...someone. I don't know what's going on, but Eli ran to get Master Barkus. She hesitated, then added, a little slower with her signs, It sounds like--like a lot of people. I heard horses and metal jangling. Soldiers.

Her smile was still in place, but it contrasted oddly with the wide eyes and slightly furrowed brow. She was worried.

Her master was a merchant. Sure, he occasionally had military contacts, negotiated deals for supplies to be sent to one part of the country or the other, but he'd never actually received soldiers to his home before.

Paladienne

Artemis had risen from his seat and was approaching the door even as Shae pushed it open. Backlit by the lantern-light that illuminated his workshop, Artemis looked even larger than he normally did, and his face was a mask of concern. He paused as she entered, studying her eyes before he dropped his gaze to her hands as she signed. When she stopped, he looked up at her face and then stepped past her to stand at the workshop's door, his eyes trained toward the front gate.

"Maybe it's nothing," Artemis said, his tone uncertain. "Perhaps they're just here to collect something that couldn't be sent via a courier, or something."

Artemis flexed his fingers and then dug them into his thigh. Something felt wrong. He couldn't put his finger on it, but something definitely didn't feel right about this. Soldiers arriving, and at night? It didn't make any sense, unless... the rumors weren't rumors after all, and war really had come to their doorstep.

Artemis looked back at Shae and offered her a small smile. "Well, I'm sure Master Barkus will handle it. I doubt it'll be anything for us to worry about."

DragonSong

Shae tried to smile in response to his, and she thought she managed it. Mostly. There was a hint of worry around the edges of her expression that she just couldn't hide no matter how hard she tried.

Barkus had once joked, in one of his rare more jovial moods, that Shae was almost lucky she was mute; even without her voice, it was nearly impossible for her to hide how she felt, to keep a secret.

Of course, she'd kept one rather large secret from every single person at the manor for the majority of her life, but he didn't know that.

Shaking her head, the ravenkeeper reached out to take Artemis's hand gently, pulling his fingers away from where he was pressing them into his thigh. She lifted his hand up and held it between both of hers for a moment, trying for that smile again as she tilted her head to the side. She released his hand to sign, You're right. I'm sure it will all be fine.

Even if she wasn't sure she believed it, it at least made her feel better to say.

Her eyes flicked back over her shoulder toward the door and her expression fell slightly. Looking back to him, she bit her lip and raised her hands to sign again, a little slow and halting: Could I...stay here a bit longer? Longer than usual, I mean. I...I'd rather wait until the courtyard is clear before going back to the aerie.

Paladienne

Artemis looked at Shae with a serene, almost indulgent expression. Did she even really have to ask him for permission to stay? He would allow her to stay here as long as she liked, even if she didn't ask him. He loved her, and he would do anything for her. If staying here was what it took for her to feel safe, then who was he to deny her?

"Of course," Artemis said quietly. "You can stay as long as you like. I'll even walk you back, if you want."

He turned to let her further into the shop, purposely moving his body to shield her from the sight of the soldiers marching into the estate, their commander moving to greet Barkus. Whatever they said, even Artemis couldn't hear, but from the expression on the lord's face, it wasn't what he'd expected to hear. Either way, Artemis didn't want to get involved. It was bad enough a couple of the soldiers had glanced over in his direction and had suddenly stiffened. Yet they didn't approach, and Artemis quickly closed the workshop's door to prevent them from getting any ideas. He'd let Barkus handle the explanation of his presence there.

Right now, he had to distract Shae.

"So," Artemis said, leading her over to his work bench, "want to see what I'm working on?"

He gestured to his table, showing her the various parts of a music box, all laid out to be cleaned, repaired, and then replaced. He picked up a small cogwheel, offering it and a rag to her. "Want to help?"

DragonSong

The tension Shae had been holding in her shoulders melted away and she smiled at him brightly. Thank you, she signed at his offer to walk her back. She didn't want to inconvenience him so she figured she'd probably make her excuses when she did eventually decide to return to the aerie, but even just the offer warmed her heart.

Her smile widened and she nodded happily, following him over to the worktable--hopefully not too eagerly, she didn't want to crowd him. She took the offered rag and cogwheel, then looked between her hands and him, head tilting slightly to the side. She nodded again, her smile back in place.

She had no idea what exactly he needed her to do in order to help, but she was happy to do it.