Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

An Assassin in a Haystack (Eckhart)

Started by Whim, June 14, 2019, 10:26:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Whim

@Eckhart_Von_Musel

Zantaric's northern bridge saw little use. It expanded over a brackish swamp and into the scrubby forest beyond. Two scruffy boys sat atop the rails, trying to spot crocodiles. They'd been given a day's break from their chores. It was noon, now, and boredom had settled in. "If you want to play marbles again you'll have to lend me some more. You keep winning them all." Ewan, who was smaller and with a shaved head, fished through his pockets. Three copper coins and a stone disc with an eye. "I don't really have much money left."

"We could go hunting for frogs? Armwrestle? Or we hunt for frogs, I make a little potion for us to slip in Joan's next drink, and she's got slimy green skin for a week? She does deserve it. Sometimes anyway" An impish smirk crossed the little wizard's face, along with a twinge of guilt. "I guess I'm supposed to set a good example for you and all. But you're only this age once, unless you're like me, and a little harmless mischief is natural."

"That or maybe Eckhart will give us some money. Hardly seems fair to get two coppers a week." Ewan was slowly coming to accept he was definitely the lowest ranked among the "Friends", and that the gang had little interest in whatever magic he claimed to possess.

Three figures on horseback clopped down the backwood trails of the Blackweald. A pretty young man atop a white horse lead them. Thick mod and prickervines had covered much of the path, and it was slow going. There had been a scuffle at the west gate between a gang and some Duhjari slavers, and they had no choice but to go the long way.

"How do you suppose we'll even find Sarah in this place? As far as I can tell there isn't even a King I could have lunch with. Though would I want to have lunch with him? The entire thing makes me think of cucumber sandwiches with some wrinkly old man. Then again you've got to figure the ruler of a City like this would be more interesting than that. Though this is all hypothetical..." He sighed sharply, not liking the butterflies in his stomach. "And what to say when I do find her?"

"Tell me where to find Basil." Xamuu heaved a shrug of his thick shoulders. Only an enormous draft horse could bear his weight.

"I think she is bound to be a little sore over, I don't know, being banished from the family?" he squirmed, stretching his neck. "That is the problem. Seems a bit rude. And I just don't think she would take Basil."

"You did not banish her. You were younger then. She is older now."

"Oh well. We'll make something up when we arrive." It was important to seem confident and easy in front of men. Of course, the stakes here were enormous. His gaze turned to the crumbling walls and labyrinth of mismatched towers and rooftops beyond. "Finding her should be our real worry. When smelly toothless beggars see people like us they're going to get jealous; try and turn us around. Its a sad state of affairs Xamuu, but what can you do really?"

Through the vegetation the Kishahni man spied a crumbly old bridge over a swamp and two small figures perched atop it. "They have teeth still, I think. I do not know about the smell."
Awesome avatar by Eckhart_von_Musel

Guilds:
Wyrdwood Academy of Arcane Science

Events:
The Midnight Harvest
Into the Mouth of Qokagax

Characters:
Ewan ap Rhys - once a great sorcerer, now a small boy
Anwen ferch Rhys - scholar of blood magic
Duke Blackthorn - Duke of Dawn and Dusk, Warden of Weal and Woe, and all-around evil faerie
"Kaliam" - magically conjoined apprentice wizards
Maergath - Magister of Soulshaping, necromancer, angry and hateful wizard
Narlis Thordane - Hero for hire, proud and unrepentant scumlord
Niamh Wayrest - trader in forbidden lore, purveyor of curiosities
OLIVER THE BARBARIAN - a very reluctant hero and monster-slayer
Sage Whitechalk - heir to the Whitechalk Family
Saoirse Nettlefield - Headmistress of Wyrdwood, conniving academic

Eckhart_Von_Musel

"Hmmm... Maybe..."

Randal pursed his lips, peering over the bridge and into the murky water below. Everything had been a blast since Ewan came to Zantaric, but Randal was running out of cool things to show him. They'd been in the catacombs, visited the creepy antique shop, gotten lost in Porcelina's artwork, and played more games of marbles than you'd think was possible. What was left that they hadn't done yet?

"I know!" he said finally, springing to his feet. "We could go looking for Something in the woods! Taza won't let me go by myself, but I bet if we asked Joan or Griselda they'd take-"

The sound of horseshoes on dirt could be heard feintly through the bracket, just barely audible over the crows who often gathered there. Randal froze, then slowly lowered himself so he was half hidden behind the bridge's crumbling guardrail. "Do you hear that?" he hissed at Ewan. "Nobody ever uses this road! That's why Taza let's us come here without someone to watch us!"

The boy bit his lower lip nervously. "We should hide."

Whim

"Something in the Woods? You think they'd let you?" his face lit up. "Wonder if we could get her to turn into something cool. I wonder how it even knows if its never seen the person? Oh we've got to try! I've always wanted to see!"

Ewan did not give the trio a second thought at first. Zantaric was filled with terrible people, most of whom paid them little mind. The little wizard was certain he still had enough magic to change into a small dragon, finish one of them with fire, spook the horses, and take down the other. If they were unfriendly. If he wanted to. Probably? But there was a palpable fear in Randal's eyes still. Maybe it wasn't the time to prove anything. The kid did need looking after.

"Oh fu- frog poop, come on!" There was no way to get back to the City without being spotted. The boys scrambled to the edge of the bridge. On the other side of the rail was a small ledge, wide enough to catch dropped objects and allow maintenance. They scaled the wall and sat in silence, poised for the sound of hoofbeats.

The trio of horses and dog zig-zagged through the swamp and up to the old bridge. Sage had his broadsword, Xamuu his painted spear, and Iain's hackles raised on account of the many slitted crocodile eyes watching their march.

"I guess we scared them off." The long bridge into the city was empty. Either the boys were fast or invisible to have vanished. "I don't think I've ever scared anyone off before. Usually the children chase me for card-playing tips, the women for a kiss, the men for some scraps of glory. Or maybe more than that. I always say it's annoying. But this? This I don't like." He mussed his silvery hair with a sigh of discontent. It fell right back into place.

"A cruel city. The children of Kishahn flee strangers like squirrels, too. These people know no gods." Xamuu's own people had warred much with tribes of the deeper jungles. They were short lived peoples grasping at whatever they could while they could. No priests or Faces who cared for the future. Pitiful.

While they chatted Sage could not help but feel butterflies in his stomach. A sort of primal thrill. "Xamuu there is definitely an aura here. I'd like to find it. Tell me if I'm doing this wrong-" Sage dismounted and touched his palm to the stone. The masonry twisted and roiled as if it were a bowl of soup, forming the face of a very old and very cranky man. "Hello? Bridge? Were there two children on you some moment ago? Sorcerous ones?" Just how do you talk to a bridge you just woke up?

"Ah..." the stone face clenched his jaw, yawning. The entire bridge began to shake and tremble ever-so-slightly, as if alive and breathing. It stood strong. "Sorcery? Mm?

"And children? Yes I feel them. I do not know why I should tell you. Why don't you give me a hand, mm? Put some some of my bricks back? Scrape some moss..."

Guilds:

Events:
The Midnight Harvest

Characters:
Duke Blackthorn - Duke of Dawn and Dusk, Warden of Weal and Woe, and all-around evil faerie

Eckhart_Von_Musel

Randal dashed after Ewan, hiding himself under the ledge. The soft clopping of hoofbeats grew louder, only stopping when they were just above the two boys. Randal's breathing grew sharp as a soft male voice began to speak, followed by a deeper baritone. Were they being followed? The young dealer's mind raced. These men must be working for the Dwarven hero! Why else would they be searching for him and Ewan?

Suddenly the bridge itself began to rumble as a third voice joined them. Randal's swallowed nervously. "The bridge is talking? But..." he thought in a panic. "But we're still on the bridge! He'll rat us out for sure!"

"I'm still on the bridge..."

The boy narrowed his eyes. Slowly he reached into his pocket, pulling out a small yellow pill. Making a shushing gesture at the child next to him, he put the pill in his mouth, resting his hand on the stone masonry as he did so. He swallowed, and his eyes began to glow a rainbow of colors. "The bridge can't answer questions if it's on a datura trip..."

Whim

"Very well. You'll soon be the finest bridge in all of Zantaric." Sage clapped his hands, and a small army of white gloves materialized and set to scrubbing and polishing the stonework. It did not work miracles, of course, but loose stones were put to order and particularly brazen patches of moss apprehended. "How does that feel?"

The stone face of the bridge chirped in reply, sounding a good less tired. "Very good! Very good! Such fine white hands you have. And so many! Perhaps I could make some too? Oh ho ho! Why don't we find out!" The bridge began to tremble and gyrate, its face contorted in anger as it attempted to move whatever constituted its arms and legs. "Oh. I don't have them. But oh! Oh! Is this what dancing is? I had always wondered..."

"Xamuu? Usually I just place my hand here, whisper some complements and a charming hello, and it wakes up nice and friendly. This one does not seem very lucid. Now granted he has been stuck here, unloved, and utterly alone for many years. But I've managed just fine with rocks out in the forest. Did I- did I do it properly?" Sage frowned, voice turning small and plaintive with worry. He never-ever-ever got a spell wrong. His replication of magic was always flawless, an improvement upon what was.   

A frown creased Xamuu's chiseled features. He vaulted to the ground, rattling his many jewels and ornaments. "Sometimes they go bad. The stone remembers even before it awakens. We should put this to rest." It was best not to elaborate. Once he awoke a particularly bloody altar of sacrifice. The thing howled and roared and pulled itself from the ground. "You must force it still." He motioned Sage to his side, placing his hands on either side of the stone face to stop it speaking. It was giggling and making dog-noises now.

It was the strangest possible time to be eating candy, but then again Randal was a strange boy. Ewan was more concerned with how they might drop down to the moat and avoid crocodiles. But then the junior florist's eyes began to shimmer with a rainbow of light. What did he just eat?! Ewan rushed to pin him to the retaining wall, to stop him tumbling off. Knowing Taza and Randal it was some strange poison but why? They huddled in silence. And then the bridge started to talk.

It turned into a smile, though, when the bridge tried to dance. "How did you-? Oh nevermind!" Slowly they crawled along the retaining wall toward the wood. Safest thing to do would be doubling back.

As the young men tried to coax sense from the animate bridge, Sirala grew bored of orbiting Sage. The human-faced jelly, encased in a bubble of water, floated off to find the boys on her own. She was just a little bit indignant no one asked her help on the matter. And there they were! Silent as an owl she hovered closer...

Guilds:

Events:
The Midnight Harvest

Characters:

Eckhart_Von_Musel

"Nailed it!"

Satisfied with the results of his power, Randal hastily began to follow Ewan towards the forest. It was a difficult task- the bridge's attempts at dancing felt like an earthquake, and both boys were nearly thrown off more than once- but after a few seconds they managed to make it off safely.

Grabbing his Friend's hand, Randal would lead Ewan into the brush. "I gave it a datura trip!" he hissed, trying to make it as far from the bridge as possible. "I don't know how they brought it to life, but the bridge won't be safe to cross for at least a day now..."

Whim

Ewan's eyes widened with delight at the dancing bridge. "You did not tell me you could do that!" The boy lingered some to watch Randal's fantastic distraction, before being tugged deeper into the marsh. They padded along the muddy road and away from the trio of strange sorcerers. Their getaway was nearly complete when a torrent of brackish water rose from the swamp and knocked them over. For what felt an eternity they were submerged, paddling through a mess of mud, rotted cattails, and squirming mosquito pupae. They swam and swam and never reached the top!

And the reason soon became clear. Ewan and Randal were encased in a floating bubble of water, flying right back toward the bridge. Behind them a jelly-fish, with an almost human-like face, bobbed through the air with unbridled glee.

Starshine and the other horse's had bolted from the rocking bridge. Only Sage and Xamuu remained, frantically trying to undo the magic. "Get these itsy bitsy spiders off of me! Off! Off! Off!" the animated bridge shrieked.

"Yes, Stone Man. They are squashed. It is time to sleep! For bed!" Xamuu laid his calloused hands on the stone face, trying to put the stone back to sleep. No one ever put the Stone to sleep. It was their decision alone to stop speaking. Xamuu knew now it was that magic faded with time, but it still seemed cruel to snatch their intellect away.

"So much trouble for simple directions. I hope the entire City isn't going to be this way. Wait! I've got it!" And with that he picked up a loose brick, laying one hand upon the face.The young lord could feel the prickle of magic re-entering his body. The fleeting sensation was truly wonderful. It mixed the warmth of hugging a friend, the thrill of combat, the majesty of standing atop a mountain. Nothing came close. Slowly but surely the Stone Face grew quiet, turning smooth, while the bridge ceased its rumbles. Now it was the bridge who had the face, laughing and wriggling.

Was she trying to capture them? Drown them? It was not ending this way. Their panicked flailing was achieving nothing. But there was only so much water... with the last bit of air in his lungs he uttered a spell.  Green scales erupted from the boy's skin, and arms shrank into a serpentine body. Ewan's new bulk shattered the sphere of water, sending the basilisk and Randal tumbling to earth. It hissed, sending a jet of toxic vapor toward the jelly. She shrieked in pain, darting back to Sage and Xamuu. The Kishahni man hefted a golden shield from his back, gaze narrowed...

"We just wanted directions, really. We're not going to hurt you." Sage stepped from the bridge. beckoning Sirala closer. It was hard to tell if she was in a mood, or simply did not grasp that Sage wanted directions and not drowned urchins. "And Sirala is sorry. She was worried about the crocodiles. But I think you can take care of yourselves. Quite impressive, really..."

Ewan coiled himself into striking position, spreading his frills. This magic would soon fade. If they needed to fight this man it would have to be now. It was nice to feel strong for a change, too.

Guilds:

Events:
The Midnight Harvest

Characters:

Eckhart_Von_Musel

"Trade secret!" Randal whispered as he pulled his friend further down the path. "If I told you everything, I'd- whoah!"

The muddly water from the nearby bog had moved all at once, scooping the boys up effortlessly. Randal's lungs strained as he tried to hold his breath, panic growing inside him. The water was salty, and stung his eyes. Were they heading back towards the bridge? It was hard to tell, and Randal was beginning to feel his consciousness slip away...

*~*~*~*~*

There was another spash, and the boy felt himself landing in the mud. The boy coughed up water, fresh air reaching his lungs. One of the men from the bridge was saying something, but the boy's ears were ringing and he couldn't quite make it out. He looked up groggily, still weezing. Had the big snake rescued them?  Where was Ewan? Everything was still spinning...

Whim

Ewan's mind raced. if they'd given him a proper staff like he'd been whining for for weeks and weeks and weeks and weeks this would be easy! Ewan's Fungoid Friendship could have infested the big one with the spear and made him a murderously loyal drone, or Morrigan's Mangling Maw could have just eaten them all. Sadly, being a big snake would have to do. The wizard's slitted eyes darted to their trio of assailants. The big one? The pretty one? A second jet of venom arced toward the bobbing jellyfish. And with a shriek she fell from the air like a rock; turned to stone. The basilisk wasted no time and lunged at his white-haired assailant.

Sage shut his eyes. He could feel the strands of magic around him, all knotted up and into spells. Untangling them, or making alterations, was a bit like solving a mathematical problem in your head. The handsome heir was well practiced. And with that the snake transformed into a small boy in a dragon costume, who promptly fell into the muck. "Boys! I am sorry we've gotten off on the wrong foot. Someone is going to get very hurt, or dead, if we don't stop this!" Eyes never leaving Randal, Sage scooped Sirala from the water. She was petrified. Thank Myyla that sort of thing was reversible, usually.

Xamuu had fished the shape-changer from the water, and the squirming boy was now in a tight headlock. With his spell diverted to turn his clothing into a costume there was no threat. His dark haired companion, meanwhile, was looking quite frightened and disoriented. At least he was not trying to kill them, or run off into crocodiles. "Why don't we start with names? I'm Sage Whitechalk. Do you need help getting up?" The young man gave Randal a smile, as if the scuffle had never happened.

Guilds:

Events:
The Midnight Harvest

Characters:

Eckhart_Von_Musel

It was all going horribly wrong. The snake turned out to be Ewan, who was quickly felled by some strange spell. The big man soon had his Friend in a headlock, and Randal's mind raced to try and find a way out. They couldn't just lose here! The boy slowly pushed himself up, only pausing when he saw the smaller man looking at him...

"Sage Whitechalk"

Randal's eyes widened, then narrowed. Wasn't that Sarah's last name? He pushed himself away from the man, silently placing his hand in his pocket. "No pills left? Drat!" The boy wrinkled his nose. "My name is Nigel Ironboot." he lied. "Nobody uses this road, like... ever. What do you want?"

Whim

Ewan was exhausted from his last feet of magic, and the Kishani had a tight grip. He flashed Randal a smile of encouragement at the lie. At least the boy had hits wits about him.

"I'm utterly charmed, Mister Ironboot." Sage bent down to extend a hand. "My friends and I were looking for a way into the City. The main gate is blocked. There's rubble everywhere, a dead ogre, panicked horses. I suppose if I had the time I'd fix it all myself, but I don't really know anyone here and I'm in a bit of a hurry to see my cousin. Her name is Sarah Whitechalk. Perhaps you might see a bit of a resemblance? Her hair is a little more gold then silver?" He brushed whisky bangs from his eyes.

It was completely amateur, really. Transmutating a shapechange spell like Ewan's was entirely pointless in most wizard duels. It might buy a few moments time and Ewan could always change again. That was the beauty of it, really, constant adaption! The stupid idiot just got lucky Ewan was missing the proper tools. "From this angle it looks more gray- guh!" Ewan mumbled ruefully, yelping in pain.

"No magic and no talking. Not unless you promise to be good. And if you are not..." Xamuu tightened his grip. The trickster spirits of Serendipity were no different from the great cats of Kishahn. They simply required a strong hand, and an understanding of their inevitable defeat.

"Wise and clear-minded as ever Xamuu. But we're all friends now. And they are only children." He looked at Sirala again with a worried frown. It might have been so much worse. "This should not be much different than bringing stone to life... right?"

Guilds:

Events:
The Midnight Harvest

Characters:

Eckhart_Von_Musel

Randal glanced at Ewan, wincing as the big man tightened his grip. The giant almost looked like Griselda- just shorter and without the wings. He wasn't any less scary, though, and Randal could feel his heart running laps in his chest. He swallowed nervously, looking back at the white-haired man. He kept his hand in his pocket, balling it into a fist. "Sarah always says we're her family..."

"I don't think I've heard that name before." he said, trying to fein uncertainty. "You could, uh... Ask around town?"

"We gotta find her before he does!"

Whim

Sage took a purse of coin from his belt, tossed it into the air, and caught it. "If you know the way into the City, and to a good tavern, my friends and I will be in your debt. We'll do what we can to make it worth your while..."

"Well, I'm glad your friend is alright. But is this going to wear off? I only have the one tunic..." Red-faced, and now dressed in a green smock and crude dragon-mask, Ewan sidled beside his friend. The young man did look like Sarah, and it seemed to add up, but Randal seemed cagey about it. The boy's safety was more his concern than whatever family intrigue was afoot. Losing their captors at the nearest tavern seemed the most sensible thing.

"Oh. Whenever I care to reverse it. But I think its quite fetching really. You with your little costume. Me with my pretty silver hair. Don't you agree?" he flashed a smile. Not everyone was well-suited for power, but Sage figured he was. A lesser man might have beat or killed them for all this trouble. A little wounded pride to put them in their place was all you needed, really. "Now what do you say, Mister Ironboot? Do we have a deal?"

Guilds:

Events:
The Midnight Harvest

Characters:

Eckhart_Von_Musel

Randal stared at the man in front of him, barely glancing as his Friend stood next to him. His mouth thinned, and the boy's expression was that of somebody who was in the middle of a rather difficult game of chess. After a few moments, he finally gave a tenative smile. "The best inn is in the south side of town!" he exclaimed. "I can take you there, if you'd like!"

"Please give up and say no!" the boy silently begged. "Just leave!"

Whim

"That would be absolutely, positively, magnificent!" Sage smiled and took the reigns of his horse.

The boys lead Sages and his entourage across the bridge. The gate into Zantaric was a heap of rubble, and impassable, but there was a crack in the mortar of a nearby guardtower. It took some coaxing to get the horses through. A single trip through a dusty old barracks and they were in northern ward of Zantaric. "It's charming in a rustic sort of way isn't it? A maze of alleys and cramped houses; a thousand and one mysteries and crime capers playing out at once. It's like something out of a novel!" Sage smiled wistfully at a pair of scarred, ragged men dicing on a stoop. "Lead on, Nigel. But I do have a question for you boys. Something has been on my mind!

"So your little friend can turn himself and into animals. Amusing. But what can you do? Very impressive to see you drive that bridge to madness after Xamuu brought it to life."

Ewan shot a panicked look to Randal, even overlooking Sage's veiled dig. Children gifted in magic were, always, plum targets for slavers. The last two months had proven that much. "I did it. I know a few spells, um, sir. I can change the bodies and minds of living creatures."

"Really now? Because I see a spark in both of you. And it does beg the question why two very talented children are scampering around like ragamuffins. Of course you're not bound to share. I just collect spells. And I've never seen anything like that before."

Guilds:

Events:
The Midnight Harvest

Characters:

Eckhart_Von_Musel

Randal remained quiet as he led the man and his entourage through the city streets, barely paying attention to what the man was saying. As long as they were in Friends territory, Sarah could be at risk- he had to get them at least as far as the town square before he'd be safe to lose them. "Yeah, we're not bound to." he he said darkly, turning down a small back alley. "That's not a question you should ask around here."

"Just a few more blocks." Randal thought, pace quickening. "Just a few more blocks, and we're in the clear."

Whim

"Are you really suggesting I not be myself for fear of some sad little nobodies? That's no way to live. Not for anyone." Sage canted his head, gesturing to a gangly urchin girl with a knife, and a bulbous nosed drunk. Street people always were funny. A few years of poking each other with knives and their tenements and they think they can stand toe to toe with the great and the good. "As for you, kiddo, you lost a fight. That's how it goes, but no one was hurt. You should really cheer up." He clapped his guide on the shoulder with a smile. Less than wide-eyed adoration from everyone was insufferable.

Xamuu grunted as the jelly began to twitch, Ewan's venom finally wearing off. Cities were strange to him still. It was as a jungle, but of people rather than plants. The big man moved slower than his companions, offering stiff smiles and curt greetings to the many-passers by. "Hello.

"It is a fine day.

"You are well, yes?

"It is good the sun rose today."

And so it went. Soon they were on Orgrest Promenade, the intersection of five main thoroughfares and the heart of Zantaric. Its cobbles were long worn away to dirt, and the various Princes of Thieves, Slaver-Kings, and Warlocks in exile could never settle on just who owned the courtyard. A cramped fringe of ragged tents and stalls lined the periphery. Off in the distance Ewan and Randal spied the gables of the 'Gentleman of Lessure' a large, rowdy, and often packed aleness favored by travelers. "So. She drinks here, does she?"

Guilds:

Events:
The Midnight Harvest

Characters:

Eckhart_Von_Musel

"Haven't lost anything yet." Randal thought, fists clenching. "Just wait..." They were approaching the center of town now, and the most popular bar in the city was within their view...

"I think? I mean she's gotta, right?" Randal said, still pretending he didn't know who Sarah was. "Everybody drinks here, sometimes, I think." He gave the man a slightly frightened look, shuffling backwards a bit. "Can... can we go home now?"

Whim

"Well, its a start. My family is very distinct. She won't be that hard to find." Sage peered up at the tavern. It was two stories, filled to the brim with raukus laughter and a haze of pipeweed. A tipsy little man in a pointy hat pranced along its upper-balcony, swinging his flagon to and fro. "Its a good place to start. But would Sarah like this sort of place? We were pretty close as kids, but its been so long she might have changed. I guess you two haven't known that yet. But you'll part ways one day, and meet up again, and really wonder if that man you're seeing is your little friend deep down inside. It's strange."

"People are more like trees. Same stuff inside, you just add rings, if you want to get all philosophical. But I'm pretty sure you know I'm going to look this way forever if you're even a decent mage." The boy cracked a smirk. His face faltered, somewhat, as he looked down. Knobby little knees, nails crusted with dirt, the way he seemed more concerned with playing marbles than magic: maybe he was different now? More likely that Zantaric drew something from him already in existence. But it was a mystery to Ewan as to why he hadn't run off by now, good company as Eckhart or even Randal could be...

Sage was far too busy staring dramatically off into the space to notice or care for the boy's insight. "Young forever? That does sound amusing. But that's hardly the point, I mean the tragedy of the little ways you drift away from people with time...

"Oh! And, yes, you can run along now. But let me give you something for the trouble." Sage produced a pair of golden suns from his purse, and then stopped, probing his pockets in search of something else. It was case deck of cards and a little dog-eared book. Monster Mash! was embossed onto the cover, which depicted a hexagonal playing card with glowering eyes and bat wings. "Gold won't suffice. This is a game children play in Serendipity. I'm quite good at it. I'd teach you, but I suppose you can figure it out."

Guilds:

Events:
The Midnight Harvest

Characters:

Eckhart_Von_Musel

Randal rolled his eyes. This guy just went on and on and on! Did he ever stop talking?

"Taz- my older Friend says I'm not allowed to play that game." he said, eying the card game suspiciously. "Too much violence, and it promotes gambling." He grabbed Ewan's arm, dragging him away. "Come on, we have to do our chores now..."

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

"Oh wow! That would look, like, so cute on you Porcelina!"

Sarah Whitechalk peered into a shop window, pointing to a deep violet dress on display. Porcelina Juarez crossed her arms, huffing impatiently. "No. That is not my color." She continued down the street, eye twitching. "Besides, it wouldn't fit anyways."

Sarah shifted on her feet. "Whaaat? It is totally your color!" She moved quickly to catch up to the dwarven woman, a spring in her step. "It'd like, compliment your skin! And you could always, get it hemmed- I bet Tiffany would be happy to do it!"

Porcelina's eye's narrowed, pursing her lips. "Compliment my...." She shot the assassin a funny look, then shook her head. "Look, I'm only in the market for new watercolors. I never said this was going to be a big shopping trip."

Sarah hung her head melodramaticallg. "Fiiiine. If you say so..."