Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Desire, Hesitation, and Wanderlust. [Zero!] [M]

Started by JaddWard, July 12, 2019, 02:40:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JaddWard

For the first time in nearly six months, a trader's wagon wheels headed towards the sleepy, isolated town of Follyford. Wide and long, it was built after the style of Trooper Wagons, with solid wooden walls and a shingled roof. in the front, sat the lanky, dark eyed form of Elliot Coldwater, stretching out with a lazy smile as he listened to the melodious guitar music coming from behind him. The source of said music, was in fact a second trader's wagon, built in a similar style to the first, but far newer. The area of Follyford hadn't seen two trader wagons traveling together in many years, decades even. For a long time, Elliot had been the only trader to come to this quiet corner of the world. That was until he took an apprentice.

An apprentice who was ready to be Guilded. Made into a full, respected traveling merchant, recognized by the three official branches of the Le'reena Mercantile Guild. It was a pretty huge honor, and the apprentice was very excited, trying not to let it show by turning his excitement into music. But his master knew he was excited for other reasons. The dark gentleman called back to his apprentice, hoping to tease him just a bit, "Hey Nicky! We're about an hour from Follyford! Are you going to kiss her this time? Just like in your dream?!"

The music abruptly stopped as Nickolas Ravel, the apprentice in question, looked up from his hands. "Get bent, Elliot!" He said without any harshness at all. His master had been teasing him about this for nearly a year now, never this close to Follyford though.

"I will! Once you wed and bed that lovely bodice you fancy so much! She's seventeen now, a woman in her own right, if you keep hesitation someone else as sure to pluck her up and fu-" Elliot was cut off by the sound of frantic strumming on a small travel guitar. By time the sound cleared, the master was bellowing with laughter. Nick, for his part, shook his head. An exasperated look on his face as the horse pulling his wagon gave an amused whiny.

"Oh not you too, Keth-Salhen." The apprentice stood in the driver's box and leaned forward on the railing to pet the massive beasts rump. The horses ears flicked, then he turned his head to get a look at his owner. Keth-Salhen, that was the name Nickolas gave him. It meant 'One Sock', and was a reference to the single white sock that rose up hind left leg of the otherwise solid black monster of a draft horse. Keth-Salhen hadn't had a name before that, the farm worker just called the horse 'horse' or 'beast' or 'stupid'. Perhaps that's why that farm failed, the farmer had no love for his craft or his livestock. Nick had bought him for more than he would have fetched at auction, but both he and his master agreed that it was a good deal, that massive draft horse had hooves the size of dinner plates, he'd be able to pull through sand and snow and mud as easily as anything else. and a good horse was worth gold to a traveling merchant. Lots of gold.

"Hey Nicky!" Came the call of Elliot just before Nick started playing again.

"If you're gonna tease me again, I'm just gonna play over you."

"No no, nothing like that. How about you let me pull ahead about five minutes or so. The Cuchulainn's haven't seen your new wagon yet, you can surprise them!"

Nick thought about it for a few seconds then called back, "Yeah, that'll be fun." and he pulled Keth-Salhen to stop. "Five minutes! And knowing the damage you can do in that time, it's a hell of a risk on my part!" Instead of a reply, he got to hear his master laugh his way into the distance.

Follyford, a small little village out of the way in the northern reaches of draconi forest, was once just a place to ford a river. Eventually, someone built an inn at what was once a place where caravan's camped, and from that inn a village grew. Nearly two centuries now Follyford as sat on both sides of the river. But about a half century ago, a new highway was blazed right through the center of the Draconi Forest, and Follyford earned it's new name. The old name, Northford, was abandoned, for what trader or caravan would be foolish enough to add a week to their journey past Ketra?

That would be foolish old men like Elliot Coldwater, who were from Follyford. He'd been around long enough to know it as Northford, but Elliot didn't look old. Maybe in his late twenties at worst. There were rumors in the Guild that he'd been trading long before even the Mercantile Guild was formed. Elliot rolled his wagon up to a cabin just past the clearing of the town, "Hoooooollooooo there, Cuchulainns! A Foolish folly of a fop has wandered his wear way to your humble, beautiful abode, might I have the privilege to park my tired wagon next to your lovely cabin?"

He'd started this alliterative rhyming calling around the time the youngest boy of the family, Tanner, was starting to talk, the young lad had been so enamored with the flow and sound of the words and had spent days flailing at trying to do the same, much to the vexation of his father and Elliot's old friend. Elliot dearly hoped the boy would do the same again, but wouldn't be disappointed if he did.

Zero

It had been almost half a year since the last time the Cuchulainn family had seen their old friends. Elliot had been visiting the town since long before Serrah had even been born. She didn't know the story of how her father and the merchant had become friends, why Elliot never seemed to change over the years, or what made the man go out of the way of any major trade routes just to camp out his wagon beside their cabin, but she didn't really care why they came. The young woman was just glad that he did come. Elliot's visits had always been a treat, even when she was a tiny girl, but as she'd gotten a tad older and the merchant had showed up with Nick in tow, the boy only a couple years older than her, the visits were just that much more exciting and enjoyable.

Serrah and Nick had become fast friends. They spent as much time together as the visits would allow, which never seemed to be enough. Nick brought back stories and trinkets from his travels, and she would always listen with rapt attention to the adventurous tales. In return she told him all about what had gone on in the tiny village while he'd been away. It was hardly a fair trade in her eyes, but what more could a poor girl from nowhere really offer him? He had been there for her after her mother had died, when she'd needed a friend the most. Honestly they had practically grown up together. Nick didn't even know that he had been her first – and only – kiss. He didn't know just how much that drunken kiss out behind the barn had fanned the flames of her very childish crush on him. At least she knew better than to bring it up, or to think it was more than something he'd done impulsively after drinking too much wine. If he didn't even remember it, then it was best to lock the memory away in her heart and just keep it to herself; a fond reminder of her first love for when he decided to stop wasting his time in this tiny place.

That was a day she dreaded, especially now that Nick was a man. It was only a matter of time before he met some beautiful, interesting woman in his travels and forgot about Follyford – and about her. When she heard the telltale call of Elliot she was the first to rush to greet him, but she pulled up short when she realized Nick wasn't with him, and her heart sank into her stomach.

"Where's Nick?" She had been scrubbing pots and was clutching the cleaning brush tightly to her chest, eyes and voice full of dread. The children ran up yelling excitedly from where they had been playing at the edge of the woods, but Serrah could only focus on Elliot and the fact that Nick wasn't there.

JaddWard

Elliot's casual smile broadened as Serrah came into view. The little girl that he'd watched grow up now a woman through and through, and she was the spitting image of her mother. A Jewel, hidden away from the thieves of the world. The old man had to admit, his apprentice had once again chosen very well- if only he was man enough to snap her up before someone else did. And the aged trader could tell that she would wait for him far longer than she would have if they hadn't grown so close. After all, she'd asked after him before even saying hello to an old friend.

Elliot's smile fell, looking down and slowly shaking his head before turning to look inside his wagon, as if looking for someone that should have been there. "I'm sorry Serrah.. I couldn't bring him back with me.. he just.." it was at that moment that Nick pulled into the clearing, his own massive black horse dominating the view before the wagon came into the light of the clearing, Elliot hastily added "He just finally got his own wagon, so he had to bring himself!" the smile right back on his face. before scowling at his apprentice who pulled up beside him. "I thought you said you'd give me five minutes?"

"I did. Keth-Salhen sets a stronger pace than your ox. He's been holding back as patient as a peach while you led." His eyes flicked from his mentor to Serrah and his expression soften, the beginnings of smile pulling at his lips before he noticed the look on his face. "Serrah? What did he say? You know what Elliot is like. You can never know when he isn't messing with you." The young merchant apprentice quickly climbed down from the driver's box and started making his way over towards her, still trying to figure out what his master had just done to the poor girl.

Zero

All the color drained from Serrah's face. She had a very hard time grasping what Elliot was saying, her mind wanted to reject the idea that something could have happened to Nick. The way the trader said it made it seem less like the young man had decided not to return and more like he had been unable to come, for some terrible reason. Even the excited Tanner and Emelie seemed to pick up on the sudden somberness, their enthusiastic calls to Elliot quieted and they looked momentarily confused. They finally noticed the absence of Nick and looked around confused.

It was fortunate the cruel jest went on no longer than a few moments, because Serrah had felt like she couldn't breathe, and her eyes had started to burn. She was able to pull in a gasp of air when Nick showed up in a second wagon. It was such a relief. The younger children started laughing, clearly thinking that it was a great joke, all meant in good fun. Of course Elliot meant it in good fun, but she didn't think it was funny at all!

"Elliot you're terrible!" She scolded the old trader and threw the scrub brush in her hand at him. As Nick started climbing down from his new wagon, which was impressive Serrah had to admit, she ran to her dear friend, practically launching herself at him as she threw her arms around him in a tight hug. "I missed you! He acted like something awful had happened to you."

JaddWard

Elliot, still quite spry, snagged the stiff bristle brush out of the air no trouble at all as Serrah ran to the young apprentice, watching as the young woman bodied the young man with a hug, causing the two of them to tumble to the ground, the laughing forms of the two youngest Cuchulainn children ran up and also jumped onto the growing pile of people. Being as this happened right in front of Nick's new horse, Keth-Salhen lowered his head to curiously sniff and lip at the strangers burying his master. Nick reached around all three Cuchulainns to pat at the horses snout, a gesture that the young man had found put the horse at his ease in a situation. The horse continued to curiously sniff, but he wasn't about to start stomping to his beloved master's defense.

Nick wrapped his arms around the three and gave them all a big hug, his eyes finding Serrah's as he replied, "I've dearly missed you too. The only awful things that have happened to me are being away from Follyford too long and Elliot being Elliot." the young merchant has a smile splitting his face, not even making an effort to try and get up.

"Hi Serrah, I missed you too!" Elliot called over, the cheerful demeanor back in his voice as he climbed out of the driver box started to unharness his old grey ox. "May we put our animals in your paddock? Once we get settled we have some gifts from far off and strange places."

Zero

Actually tackling Nick to the ground hadn't been her intention, but Serrah laughed as they fell and the younger children joined them. It wasn't until he spoke that a blush started creeping up on her cheeks and she realized that she was kind of on top of him. When Elliot teased her, she gave a sheepish to Nick before climbing off of him. She was too old to do silly things like that. They weren't children anymore.

"Of course you can, Elliot." Serrah tried to dust off and straighten her skirts a little before moving around the old ox and giving Elliot a much gentler hug from the side, not much caring if she got in the way of unharnessing the old ox. She had known the trader since she was a baby, and she had always looked forward to his visits, it was just that she felt excited about seeing Nick in a far different way. She couldn't ever admit to it, though. They would probably both laugh at her! A silly farm girl from the middle of nowhere with a handsome young trader like Nick? He could do much better. "I did miss you too, old man."

Tanner and Emelie had jumped off Nick at the mention of the word gifts, both younger children practically bouncing with excitement. It wasn't as if they weren't always brought presents from Elliot and Nick, but their enthusiasm never lessened.

JaddWard

Elliot stopped mid unharnessing to give Serrah a proper hug, fond, affectionate, but like a family member would hug another, before returning to unfastening his ox. "How have things been here? That old inn burn down yet?"

Nick stood and dusted himself off before starting to unhook Keth-Salhen from his wagon. Within short order, the two beasts were paddocked in the Cuchulainn's small animal paddock and the two traders headed back to the wagons with the three residents of the clearing, while the ox was clearly familiar with the space, the black beast of a draft horse roamed around the small enclosure, sniffing around, looking back to Nick who gave him a thumbs up.

Back at the wagons, Elliot opened up the back doors and started rummaging through crates and barrels, trying to remember where he put his gifts for the youngest Cuchulainns, eventually producing two small bags of candies from all over. Maple Toffee from Hyoite, licorice from Arca, sour hard candies from La'marri, a tart little crumbs of hard sugar from Essyrni, each was separated in a smaller bag inside telling where it was from. "You can only have as much as Serrah or your dad say you can a day." came Elliot's wise instruction, knowing full well that those little baggies would be gone within a day or two.

He set aside a bottle of dark amber scotch, for the Cuchulainn patriarch, and a finely crafted utility knife for the eldest son, before pulling out a lovely dress, the color of lightly toasted cream, with lilac embroidery emblazoning the chest and arms. "I hope it's sized well, I'm sure Nick will be happy to tailor it for you if it's not the right size."

Hearing his name, Nickolas snapped his focus back on the giving of gifts, realizing that he'd been starring at Serrah all the while. Elliot was right, she had come into her own as a woman. To him, she was gorgeous, and the fact that she'd been atop him mere moments earlier made his mouth dry. She probably had every suitor in town asking after her, what chance did he have? A man that was gone half a year at a time occasionally. "Oh.. yeah, absolutely. It'll be tough, never worked on tailoring something that fine before, but it'll be worth it. Now let's see, where did I put my gifts..."

His hand reached under the side of his wagon, and there was the sound of sliding wood before a panel on the side of his wagon popped open, cleverly hidden, before it popped out the panel had been flush with the wall of the wagon, completely invisible. "For Tanner.." he reached into the hidden compartment and pulled out a box, setting it on the ground, he opened it so all could see, inside there were rows and rows of little soldiers, finely carved and painted, sixteen painted in white standards and uniforms, sixteen in black. He then pulled a board out of the lid and unfolded it, revealing a checkerboard pattern of white and black squares, "Later I can show you how to play 'Chess', a game that's all the rage among the fine young gentlemen across the land."

"And for Emelie" again his hands disappeared into the compartment and pulled out a soft leather bag that clinked softly as he opened it up and turned the contents into his hand. Gemstones, bright, vibrant, perfectly cut, and massive- for gemstones. each was about an inch long, half an inch wide, and caught the sunlight, making multi-colored refraction dance across her features. They were, of course, glass. If they'd been real, they'd have cost a fortune- and were still probably expensive as they were, but he held them out to the youngest Cuchulain, who took them happily, "Jewels fit for a princess."

Standing back up, he looked to Serrah, gave her a half smile, then pulled a silver chain from his vest pocket, a necklace. At the end of which held an fancy, artistically crafted emblem, clearly a triangle, but folding back in on itself in a sort of never ending knot, without a beginning or end, this knot traced all around circle and a square, tying the two together. "A Scholar in Ketra I met at a tavern got really drunk and started telling me all about historical families, surprisingly, he mentioned the Cuchulainns, or rather 'Cu Chulainns' specifically. This was their emblem. So now I present it to you, Serrah Cuchulainn." And with a bow, he held the silver necklace out to her.

In the compartment, he had something else for her as well, a heavy leather bound book of pressed flowers that he'd come across. He always had one for her, giving it to her once he filled the pages. He'd been doing this since her mother died, but that gift would have to be given more privately. Lest Tanner of Emelie got jealous, and also because, Nick just enjoyed having something private to him and Serrah.

Zero

"Not yet." Serrah laughed softly at the question. The village inn had been the very first building built in Follyford, and she couldn't imagine the place without it. She stepped back and ushered the children out of the way while Elliot and Nick finished taking care of their animals. The poor beasts worked hard pulling those wagons for their owners and deserved to be let into the paddock to rest and munch on the grass and hay with Annabelle, the family's single milk cow. She couldn't help but shyly watch Nick the whole while, but hurriedly looked away any time his head turned in her direction.

Tanner and Emelie got impatient, squirming and beaming as they waited for the grownups to hurry up so they could have presents. They bounced excitedly when Elliot finally started digging into the back of his wagon. Both children squealed with joy as they were presented with the candy. Of course they were eager to shove as much as possible into their mouths but as soon as they stuck their hands into the bag Serrah spoke up. "Only one piece right now, you'll spoil your supper otherwise!"

The instruction was met with a chorus of disappointment, but they complied, each picking out a piece of their treat bags and popping it into their mouths.

"What do you say?" Serrah prompted them, fixing them with a stern look. The children turned to Elliot with beaming smiles and thanked him for the candy. It was definitely a rare treat for the children, because nobody sold candy in the village and few traders passed through, mostly only Elliot and Nick themselves.

Serrah's eyes grew wide as the dress was pulled out. It was very pretty and the first new dress she had gotten in a while. She took it from Elliot carefully and held it up to herself, looking down at it with admiration. There was no doubt in her mind that this would become her new special occasion dress, because it was much too nice for everyday wear. Doing chores in it would have quickly left it stained and frayed. She blushed at what Elliot said about Nick being able to tailor it for her if the fit wasn't right.

"Elliot it's so wonderful! I'm sure it will fit very well." She hugged the dress to her chest still, smiling brightly. Her eyes moved to the gifts that had been set aside. "Oh, Wilhem is at the smithy and father is out hunting. They'll both be back in time for supper."

The younger children had already crowded over to Nick, eager to see what he had brought them.  Serrah walked over as the box of little figures was being shown to Tanner. He looked excited at just the little soldiers, but when he was shown the board and told that he would be taught a new game he gave a little cheer. Emelie was positively mesmerized when the glass "gems" were pulled out of the leather bag, her face full of delight at the way they shone in the light. Both children claimed their gifts and scampered off, shouting thanks over their shoulders.

It was Serrah's turn, and she smiled when Nick turned to her. He always brought her something, not that she expected it, but she did cherish the little trinkets from faraway places he gave her. They were like little glimpses into the great big world outside their tiny home. She was taken by surprise when he pulled the necklace from his pocket and presented it to her with a bow. Her face flushed a bit, having someone bowing to her, let alone Nick. Also the gift was lovely.

"Oh Nick, it's beautiful. You shouldn't have." She spoke sheepishly as she reached out and took the necklace from his hands. Serrah turned it over in her hands a few times, admiring it, before putting it on and letting the emblem fall against her chest. She smiled brightly as she stepped forward and hugged him again. "Thank you."

JaddWard

Behind Serrah's back, Elliot stood mouthing at Nick, he could see him 'KISS HER, KISS HER DAMN YOU'. Nick, staring back mortified least Emelie or Tanner see, mouthed back 'Gods above, shut the fuck up' which earned a fond chuckle from the old merchant.

"I'm gunna go surprise Wilhem with his gift and walk him home, maybe try my hand as some arson. You two have fun." before grabbing the utility knife and walking off, leaving the two mostly alone- save for Tanner and Emelie who'd run behind the house with their gifts- and to probably eat some more candy.

"He's, ah, joking, about the arson. Probably. Who can really tell with Elliot?" The young man rubbed the back of his neck nervously, looking at where the pendant rested against her chest, it really did look good on her. He seemed to realize that the pendant was resting against her chest, and what someone seeing him stare there might think- snapping his head up to look her in the eyes with such suddenness that it was a wonder his neck didn't pop.

Gods she was gorgeous, Just being so close to her was slowly making his heart race faster and faster, while the memory of how to breathe fled from his mind. "I'm really happy you like the necklace, I've never seen you wear one, so I didn't know if that's something you'd enjoy but it's a bit of history and you've always liked it when I learned bits of random history from around the world so I was really hoping you'd enjoy it and I'm gonna stop rambling now."

He turned away from her, squatting to look into the hidden compartment before he had to physically put his foot in his mouth. Sighting the heavy, leather bound book, he reached in and pulled it out, passing it over to you, The book smelled faintly of flowers, which made sense given that every single page had a different flower pressed between it and the page next to it. The inside cover page held a not terribly sketched map of the area the flowers were from, this one being all around La'marri. "Here you go Serrah, I've been waiting a long time to show these flowers how pretty you are."

Zero

It was a good thing that Serrah could not see Elliot mouthing such words at Nick behind her back. She would have been mortified. The very suggestion that Nick would want to kiss her was just silly. He should know better than to try to encourage such things. They were only friends, had been for many years now. Sure, there had been that one time, but that had been a drunken mistake! A mistake that she remembered all too well, and that made her realize just how much she liked the idea of kissing her best friend.

Elliot's little chuckle had Serrah turning her head to look over her shoulder at the merchant as he told them he was going to go surprise Wilhem. For some reason being told to have fun caused her cheeks to heat up just a little. She took a small step back as Nick started talking, smiling as he tried to explain for Elliot – as if anyone could really know with that one.

Nick seemed to get distracted by something, and then suddenly he looked back up at her and began talking about the necklace he'd given her. She lifted her hand up to touch it again as she looked down at it, her smile growing even brighter at his rambling. He was always so sweet and thoughtful; bringing her things with history and telling her about all these places he visited. Serrah loved her home and her family, but sometimes she wished she could see the things he had seen in his travels. She didn't just want to see it all, though, she specifically wished that Nick could show her all these things.

"I didn't have one. I really do love it." Serrah never had much in the way of jewelry. It tended to be expensive and wasn't really necessary. She was sure her father would have gotten her some pretty trinkets if she'd asked for them, but he worked hard and it felt selfish to ask him to expend what little they had for something that's only function was to be pretty.

When Nick moved to grab something else from the wagon, Serrah did a quick scan to notice that the children had disappeared. It didn't alarm her, there was little danger for them so close to the house, and they knew better than to wander far. She turned back to Nick as he presented her with the book of pressed flowers. It wasn't the first one he had given her, but she treasured each one. Serrah never knew just which visits would have one. Taking the book carefully she lifted it to inhale the sweet floral scents that came from it, smiling brightly before hugging it to her chest.

Secretly she had always thought the books to be such a romantic notion. It seemed so wasted on her when he could be collecting and preserving the flowers for some beautiful, worldly girl that would join him on his adventures. Of course then he spoke again and Serrah felt her face heat up in a much darker blush.

"Why Nick, you're just teasing me now. A girl could almost mistake you for charming." It was a playful barb, and delivered with a mischievous smile. Of course the blush did hamper her attempt to play the comment off casually. Serrah stepped forward impulsively; truly she had no idea what possessed her to do it, and rose up on her tip toes to press a light, quick peck of a kiss on his cheek. It made her heart hammer wildly and her face probably got even redder, but she couldn't possibly regret doing it.

"Well...ah," she cleared her throat and stepped back, still clutching the book to her chest with one arm and using the other hand to tuck a bit of stray hair behind her ear, "Did you want to tell me about your latest adventures first or be regaled with the mundane gossip from town? I'm afraid you haven't missed all that much."

JaddWard

Nick hadn't intended the statement as a flirt, just a coy way of saying he had more flowers for her that he'd honestly spent far too long thinking over exactly how to say, never realizing just how flirtatious the statement was- whether because he'd spent so long overthinking everything or because he was oblivious was yet to be determined. Of course it was flirtatious, his hand moving to the back of his neck, rubbing and smiling as his cheeks started to blush, reading an apology for being so bold.

But the next words out of her mouth killed the sound in his throat, and if not for years of training as a merchant, probably would have caused a shadow of hurt to show on his face. Of course he completely missed her playful tone in spite of all his training, he was basically blind and deaf to anything but direct ques from the woman he'd been crushing on since they were young teens.

Yet, as quickly as he deflated, Serrah filled his sails with hope again as she stepped up to him and pecked his cheek, the grin returning to full strength when it had just barely started to wilt. Surely she could hear his heart beating out of his chest, the sound of it was certainly filling his own ears as He cleared his throat as she stepped back "Let's head inside- I'll help you make supper and you can tell me all about Follyford's happenings these last six month."

Gods give him the strength to not be tripping over himself when time came for him to share stories, constantly getting distracted by her would be embarrassing for the both of them, he needed a few minutes to just.. collect himself. He hadn't been tripping over himself so much last time he and Elliot were here. Something had definitely changed, and he hoped that part of the town gossip didn't include suitors coming for the now-of-marrying-age and quite lovely Serrah Cuchulainn!

Zero

"Alright, you can help me peel and cut vegetables to go with the roast." Serrah flashed him a shy smile before turning and heading towards the house. She didn't regret kissing Nick, it was just on the cheek and totally harmless, but she still couldn't really belief she'd just gone and done it! Her heart was fluttering like crazy. Was she only imagining how big his smile got afterwards? Nick always did have a heart-stopping smile; one flash of it would probably send most women swooning. He undoubtedly smiled at lots of women! She was being silly and naïve. That didn't stop her from wishing he would never stop smiling at her like that. He smiled a lot, but not like that.

Serrah chewed anxiously on her bottom lip as she climbed the couple steps up to the porch and pushed opened the front door. Their cabin was small, but it was enough for them. A singular large room provided living, dining, and kitchen space, with only two bedrooms shooting off of the main room - one for her father and brothers, and one for herself and little sister. It was crowded at times, but the family actually enjoyed how close they always were to each other.

"Let me just put my book away in my room. Go ahead and make yourself at home, you always do." It felt natural to just fold Nick and Elliot right into the family and home when they visited. They might have lived in a wagon – now wagons – but this cabin would always be open to them as a home. Serrah quickly put her new book of flowers with the others that Nick had given her over the years. All of his presents were displayed on a shelf, each a cherished possession. She'd be sure to go through the book later, admiring the beautiful foreign flora he had brought for her this time. Each book was unique and precious to Serrah.

"So where should I start with the gossip? The baker's wife is supposedly sleeping with the miller! The whole thing is quite scandalous, if you ask me. Betty Halsted married Tomas Redding, a hasty arrangement, if you catch my meaning. She's already showing." Sure Follyford was a small village, but even here there was no shortage of drama and juicy gossip. Serrah pulled out a couple cutting boards, the knives, potatoes, and carrots.  "Martha Tweeny had her baby while you were away, a chunky and smiley boy. He's very cute, but I guess a lot of babies are."

She started peeling while she was talking, and trying to think of what to tell him. Thankfully her blush had finally faded some, but unfortunately a faint tinge of pink refused to leave her cheeks completely.

JaddWard

Walking into the Cuchulainn home was simply refreshing. Living the life of a traveling merchant, with nothing but the open road in front of you and your own will choosing where you went- it was not uncommon to go years at a time without seeing some places again. Even large cities that are major hubs of trade. Nick hadn't been to Reajh since his Journeyman Examination almost three years ago- and he wouldn't really have a reason to go again, unless he wanted to buy or sell some good from there. And he didn't.

But the Cuchulainn home, and by extension Follyford, felt like a home. The place changed a little each time he came back, sure- but there was so much familiar about it. He couldn't help but think about what Elliot had told him so many years ago, "It's easy to get lost in this trade, becoming a stranger to everywhere. Find a place that makes you happy and make that place your touch stone. Return there as often as you can, even if it ends up costing you money, take breaks there, make it a place where people know you and where you know people. It's honestly life changing. All those older merchants who feel held hostage by the job? They don't have a touch stone. A place to keep them grounded."

Nick had really started appreciating that advice a little under two years ago, after a really vivid drunken dream where he and Serrah made out for most of an hour in the back of Elliot's wagon after just having shared a bottle of spiced wine that was probably too strong for the either of them. The bottle was real, he'd brought it back as a gift for her, and being teens, they'd snuck off to drink it. Apparently, they'd dozed off, because Elliot was waking them up later that night, sending Serrah to bed and telling Nick that Lawrence would kill him if he'd been the one to find them.

The kissing had to have been a dream. They were best friends, childhood friends at that. While he thought he was making the right decision in not bringing it up, after all- why make their relationship awkward with that admission when he was so certain that Serrah didn't like him like that -he'd gone and caught himself a remarkable case of feelings from that dream. Even thinking about it now, he couldn't help but glancing over at her, remembering her lips on his cheek just outside, and thinking about the dream. About kissing her back. He couldn't be that bold- yet.

Without thinking about it, he pulled his utility knife from his belt and giving it a courtesy wipe before starting to peal potatoes, ever the attentive listener. "Well maybe if Ben paid attention to his wife instead of kneading the village tailor, she wouldn't go getting more than just flour from the miller! Is that still going on? The Ben and Angela affair?" The gossip helped feed into the touch stone idea- keying him in on common information around the village and changes to the are. But right now it was serving another purpose in giving him something else to focus as he let his fluster settle down.

But, remembering just what he wanted to do tonight, and what he had hidden in his wagon, a dark thought crept across his mind, and he had to ask. "What about you, any daring suitors trying for the most lovely woman in Follyford?" He'd already flirted once today by accident- might as well go for one on purpose.

Zero

"The Ben and Angela affair is still the worst kept secret in town, and he definitely should be faithful to his wife, but being unfaithful to him in return doesn't really help anything, does it?" It was a sham of a marriage at this point. Serrah had felt very sorry for Ben's wife, but hearing about her sleeping with the miller had definitely caused her to lose some of the sympathy for the woman. She was happy to share the gossip with Nick, but she couldn't help but worry about when she saw him again in a year, or even two. Would there be rumors by then about her husband running around with this or that woman?

She couldn't even imagine being married to a man that ran around to other women's beds. That seemed like a sad, lonely life. Serrah was afraid that was what was in store for her, though. She was just a poor girl from a small village. Her options were very limited. Of course Nick would just have to ask about suitors. It was not a pleasant subject, definitely not to discuss with him. What would he think? Well she supposed that he would not think much of it. As dear as Nick was to her, Serrah knew that her childish crush was bound to be squashed in due time. That time was probably growing very near, what with him getting his own wagon! He was a fine young man. It was only natural that he would attract female attention, and that he'd eventually find himself fancying one of those lucky beauties.

"Oh! Um, well I don't know about being the loveliest woman in Follyford."  Serrah gave a nervous laugh; her cheeks were positively aflame with heat. Why did he say such things? It was almost cruel, and he didn't even know how mean he was. "I also don't know about daring, but there have been a few young men coming around attempting to catch my attention. They haven't, but are rather persistent. Josef, the innkeeper's son, he actually tried to kiss me! Right after I had already turned him down. Can you even imagine? Father threatened to flay him."

Serrah shuddered, trying to play it off jokingly, but really she had been quite upset over the whole thing and didn't particularly want to think about that day. It was very unpleasant, she'd actually felt his breath on her face!

"Aside from that, I suppose I do have to start thinking about such things, unless I plan to become an old maid. Sadly the selection in the village of young, unmarried men is less than stellar..." Part of that was simply because none of them were Nick, but she could never say such a thing. They had been friends since childhood. He was too nice to laugh at her if she were to ever confess, but even his undoubtedly gentle let down would have been heartbreaking.

JaddWard

"Well, if they were in Essyrn- he would have long ago been forced to divorce- the moment the affair became any way public- his reputation significantly scarred for it. And she would have been able to remarry- her reputation unmarred by his unfaithfulness. I'm not saying what she's doing now is right- but I also don't blame her for seeking affection elsewhere when her marriage is devoid of it. But, here it's different. Divorce here in Adela is usually only damaging to the woman- save for extenuating circumstances. Do you want these potatoes in small chunks or large ones?"

Nick couldn't imagine being unfaithful to whoever he ended up marrying- while the role of his future wife was technically yet blank- whenever he thought about the future, he couldn't help but envision Serrah in the role, because truly- he didn't feel the same level of attachment to anyone else than he did his oldest and best friend. Traveling merchants usually didn't stick around a place long enough to form romantic relationships. Oh certainly- there were brief trysts to be had. Nick had been an apprentice for little more than a year before he caught on to how often Elliot wandered off for a rendezvous- the older merchant eventually- literally -pushing him into a brothel so he would 'stop stalking around and hiding like a feral cat'. That had been awkward.

But genuine romance that could lead to marriage? That was something a merchant either found on the road with another traveler, in a place he returned to often enough to not have time get in the way, or never found at all. Nick supposed that was part of the reason Elliot tried to beat home the idea of a touch stone so firmly. Life on the road could be so lonely.

"Josef? Josef Cowen? Didn't he and his younger brother used to antagonize Wil before he started putting on muscle working at the apprenticeship? To think he would have the nerve. The entire Cowen family are so entitled- you'd think they were High Nobility." He moved the now chopped potatoes to the pot and started pealing carrots, little strips flying away from the cutting board as his agitation started to show. "You can do fantastically better than him anyway. I'm sure by spring, respectable young man from nearby villages will be coming to see you- trying to win you over. Maybe even the Baronet's son himself! I heard he just recently earned an officership in his majesty's military, which technically means he outranks his father- I think."

Zero

"Small chunks, please. I guess you have a point, but it is a shame that she can't divorce him without much consequence before seeking affection elsewhere. I never knew that about divorces in Essyrn. You know so much about so many places. Sometimes I wish I was half as worldly as you." Serrah didn't dislike her simple life in Follyford, not at all, but she supposed it was only natural for her to daydream of far off places when she heard so many stories from Elliot and Nick. She knew that leaving her hometown was probably not in her future – she knew that girls like her would end up marrying a local man and bearing his children and tending his house. It wasn't the most exciting life, but it was honest.

"The Baronet's son? I have never even met him. Why would he come calling on me? I'm just a poor hunter's daughter, you know. Men like that marry girls from families like the Cowens, and are you saying I should pick a man based just on how wealthy or titled he is? If that's the case I should probably be flattered that Josef Cowen was trying to gain my affection. His family is the richest in Follyford, you know." Serrah shuddered just saying the words. She had absolutely no desire to marry that selfish, arrogant jerk! He wasn't even nearly as handsome as Nick.

"Although if we're going on wealth as worthiness - the richest man I know is Elliot. I know he doesn't look his age, but I think he's a bit old for me, don't you? Father would never approve." Serrah actually laughed softly, quite amused at her own joke. She certainly adored Elliot, and he was a handsome man, but he was older than her father despite his youthful appearance and she viewed him far too much as a fatherly figure, or perhaps an uncle. Her face became redder as she continued talking, trying to keep up the same airy, joking tone despite how very heated her face became.  "So counting Elliot out for being old enough at the very least to be my father, the next richest man I know would be you, I suppose. Since you're trying to set me up with the Baronet's son I can go ahead and discount the idea of a forthcoming proposal from you. After that would be Josef Cowen, I guess. Since I find him repulsive that simply won't work. What is a poor girl to do? Perhaps I will become an old maid after all."

Marrying anyone for any reason other than because she loved them didn't sit right with her at all, but the problem was she was already in love with Nick. Serrah simply couldn't picture another man beside her. It broke her heart to think of settling for someone else because she "needed" a man to take care of her now that she was an grown woman.

JaddWard

"That's not what I me-" Nick tried to interject but dropped off as she continued, face perfectly blanching as the mental image of Serrah and Elliot standing at an alter. Blush and a bit of shame burning on his cheeks as she said she couldn't expect to receive a proposal from him.

If only she knew. Maybe he should tell her. Tell her about the dream he'd had almost two years ago that he couldn't not think about almost nightly. Tell her about how their friendship and fondness has grown for him to earnest affection and- if he was foolish enough to not chastise himself for being so free with the word despite his inexperience with it -maybe even love. Tell her all about the plan that he'd devised after reading perhaps one too many borrowed romance novels from a fellow caravan traveler. About the ring that was being made specifically for her- about the chest of gold in a hidden compartment. Not as a offer to buy her hand, but an archaic and foreign tradition that he'd found particularly romantic.

But.. he couldn't quite kill the part of himself that worried that she would refuse his proposal. And if that was a possibility- then surely she could also refuse his desire to make such a proposal.. and the thought of being turned down before he'd even gotten to try was somehow worse than being refused when he has a ring in his hand.

"No, you won't end up as an old maid. At least not in any future I can foresee. But I am no oracle. You're far to lovely, kind, and loyal to end up like that, and that's not even taking into account your gift with healing." he finished pealing the carrots, and turns away from the cutting board, half leaning on the counter to look back at his oldest friend with a smile. "What I was trying to say by mentioning the Baronet's is that if a respectable man hasn't found the courage to ask for your hand, fate will conspire to send you one that will- And Josef Cowen is anything but respectable, or loyal. But you know that." Nick couldn't quite keep the spite out of his voice as he the name of that... that.. mangy spoiled fleabag that paraded as a person.

"Would you like these carrots diced, cubed, or ribbon-cut?"

Zero

Serrah wondered if she would ever stop blushing today. She could hardly help it; Nick's very presence seemed to have that effect on her. The things he was saying, the way he was praising her, wasn't helping quell the heat in her face in the slightest. Not to mention the way her heart fluttered in her chest as he smiled at her. Why did she have to fall for him? He was a handsome, kind, gentle man, but he was constantly so very far away from her. It hurt to pine for him for months upon months only to see him for so short a time before he was gone again.

"I plan on holding out for a good man to take a fancy to me. I just hope that...well it hardly matters. Don't fret about Josef Cowen; you know I am smarter than to pay any attention to such a bullish boy." She would rather be an old maid than married to a man like that. If Nick stopped returning someday, or came back to introduce them to his new bride, well then she supposed it really would be time to move on, but for now she saw no harm in holding on to that torch she carried for him.

"Slices please, Emelie is going through a phase and refuses to eat carrots in any other shape." Serrah rolled her eyes with a little chuckle. She was sure she had very picky phases at that age too, but now that she was the one old enough to have to deal with a picky eater, it truly did seem childish. "And you keep talking about my potential suitors, but what about you? You're older than I am, are you to tell me none of the many beautiful young lasses out there in the far off places you trade have caught your eye? I find it hard to believe that you've not had any pretty girls making doe eyes at you."

JaddWard

With the direction given about the carrots, he set back to the chopping board, deftly cutting away at the carrots until he had a small pile forming of carrot strips. Now that the question had been turned back on him- he wasn't sure how he wanted to answer. Honesty would give away his plan, everything he'd been working towards for the last few years, everything he'd put away for and saved for to not only surprise, but also hopefully for her to say yes. But Serrah was his best friend and the woman he wanted to marry, he wasn't going to lie to her.

"There's plenty of lovely women the world over, I've even gotten to actually meet and talk to a few. Though all of them were already happily married. Most are either too far above my station that they can't even see me, might as well be stars in the sky for all the possibility that I'll ever ever get to dance with one of them. Others don't really spare me much thought beyond buying my goods or selling theirs, I'm a traveler after all, someone they may never see again." He finished up the carrots and added them to the pot, stirring them around so they wouldn't stay clumped together.

"I suppose brothels are always happy to see travelers and their money, and some of the women working at them are indeed quite beautiful, occasionally it's even safer to stay at a brothel than the local inn! But we've talked about this before, paying for companionship just feels odd to me. Like, 'would you really be acting this way if I wasn't paying you?'. Feels really disingenuous, and I haven't really forgiven Elliot for making me use their services that one time in Reajh." They'd talked about that for a long time when Nick and Elliot next came to visit the Cuchulainns. He and Serrah went on a walk in the woods- such a pretty late spring day, and she'd known something had been bothering him- despite him trying to be casual, so he'd told her, everything, as candidly as possible if perhaps a little light on details. Nick was glad she'd gotten him to talk about it. It'd gotten him to actually work through his feelings on the matter and move past it. He brought her the spiced wine the next time they came to visit to say thank you.

But, perhaps there was some room there for boldness, if he was careful. "Though now that I'm thinking about it, there is one young woman who has really caught my fancy. She's from a smaller village, kinda out of the way, you know how Elliot loves going to the out of reach places. She's kind, and humble, an amazing cook, and so gods damned cute that going out of my way to make her smile is worth twice the cost of the effort. Trouble is, I have no idea if she likes me the same way, and I'm half worried that by time I show up with a ring- some other smarter, better looking, richer man with an actual home instead of a wagon will snatch her away- seeing her for all the goodness I've already mentioned and more that I haven't.. Not that I'd blame her for saying yes to someone like that, life on the road isn't always easy."

He's already said too much, she was absolutely going to figure him out! Inside he was panicking as he turned to lean against the counter once again, smiling fondly at his best friend, his crush, the woman he loved, unable to stop himself as he added, "I think I'll try anyway, if she's gone by time I get to her, I'll simply wish her many good fortunes."

Zero

Of course Serrah knew there were many beautiful women in the world, and she had been the one to ask, but she couldn't help but feel a degree of jealousy when he talked about meeting beautiful women, even if he said they were happily married. She wished she were some exotic beauty, worldly and educated. If she were, maybe Nick would notice her as more than just a friend that he visited once-in-a-while. It was hard to believe that women could be "stars in the sky" that he could never hope to reach, but she was just a silly farm girl that lived in the middle of nowhere. What did she really know?

She was chopping celery when he brought up brothels and his singular forced patronage. Serrah couldn't help but frown disapprovingly at the very mention. They had talked at length that day, but not a great deal about his time in the company of a prostitute, it had been far more focused on how he felt about the experience. Her jealousy that day had been rather intense!  Nick had made up for it his next visit, even if he hadn't realized how upset she'd been about the whole thing.

Thinking back to the day they had shared a bottle of spiced wine caused her to blush involuntarily. That had been both a wonderful experience and a painful one. She had thought that Nick might truly want her, might view her as someone he could consider in a more than friendly way. The next morning when he didn't seem to even remember the exchanged kisses had been a bit devastating.

Serrah hadn't spoken of it since, not wanting to risk rejection or their friendship becoming awkward.

All of a sudden she swore she felt her heart stop before feeling it drop into the pit of her stomach. He really had found someone. Of course he had, Nick was a very fine young man. Serrah felt her heart breaking as he gushed about this girl he fancied. He seemed so happy talking about her and she felt a jealousy unlike any she had ever known. A moment later she felt guilty for it. Nick was her dearest friend, she should be happy for him to have found a woman that made him happy.

"As your dear, old friend I say she'd have to be a fool to turn you down, Nick. She's a very lucky girl, and one that doesn't deserve you, I'd wager. I might be a bit biased, though. I'm so happy for you, really. I hope she makes you very happy." Serrah didn't know how she managed to smile so brightly at him while feeling like she was dying inside.