Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Magic Among the Trees [Taernichanthach]

Started by Scyrus42, November 30, 2019, 12:32:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scyrus42

deep in the Draconi, in a decently sized clearing, sits a building. around it is flourishing life, trees with trunks feet in diameter, flowers growing tall and lush. animals lazing around, a fox rests out in the open, asleep in the sun. a fresh cut stump sits among the4m, but sprouts and saplings can be seen sprouting from the deadwood, almost growing visibly. the building itself stands out, but not harshly so.

one part is a tall tower, hexagonal in shape, and four stories tall. at first glance, it would seem to be standard grey stone brick; but looking closer, one would find that the brickwork is just decoration, and the actual body is made of massive stone slabs, smooth as glass, and cut with unnatural precision.

the other part is a big, circular structure. it sits low to the ground as if part of the earth itself. inside is a relatively standard blacksmith, cases line the walls, racks above for weapons, a few armors stands about. but all are empty. not a blade nor plate of mail can be seen. behind the service, counter are two doors, one a dark walnut, hand-carved with decorative runes, it led to the tower.
\
the other door was metal, heavy and bolted into the stone directly. its face looked rough, but upon close inspection, it was runic carvings. so small and so tight together, they filled the space of the door and hummed gently with magic.

outside, a man walked towards it, a massive burlap sack over his shoulder, dirt, and dust covering his body. he wore little, a cloak and a pair of greaves, his chest and arms bare save for a pair of gauntlets, one clutching the bag. he strolled around the structure, before coming to a section of the round building, pressing his hand to the wall and speaking quietly, he heaved the bag off his shoulder and through the wall, as if it were nothing. the wall remained unharmed, with no noticeable change, but the bag was gone.

he stepped inside, he pulled off his cloak and hung it up, the door closing softly behind him. he pulled open the heavy steel door and stepped through.

the room was lit by a few floating violet flames, dim, but grew brighter as he entered. the bag sat on the floor, some large chunks of ore spilling out a bit. the room was large, a few tables against the walls contained different equipment. one full of masonry tools, another with vats of sand and clay, one carrying a gargantuan book, the text within matching no language of the land. an anvil sat alone, no bucket of oil or water nearby. in the center of the room sat a massive steel vessel, a dome connected to the roof via a chain and pully. the man cracked his knuckles, the gauntlets tossed aside.

he gripped the mighty chain and pulled, the vessel rising and revealing the source of power. the room heated up, from a comfortable warth to scorching hot, burning. a small violet light, almost palm-sized, sat floating there, the source of the heat and an abundance of light.

the moment he unveiled it, the bag burned away, in a blink of the eye, the burlap was gone, a pile of rock and ore remained. he tied up the chain, keeping the dome up as the ore grew red hot and began to melt. drops of molten metal floating up and gathering in floating orbs hanging in the air. he sighed at the sight, a puff of steam came from a tear, evaporating the moment it fell from his skin.

to anyone sensitive to magic, it would appear as if a star lay in the middle of the wood, and it was liable to draw attention.

Imperfect_M

They are afraid.

The natural world has many relationships with the Fae folk. The strange, ever-shifting mirror that was the Feywild reflected this world in so many ways, and yet in so many more still it was different. The songs of the wildlands are muted on this side, and the great tapestry of magic that bound worlds together felt... Wrong in its own way. Compared to the Faewild, there was simply less of that tapestry to be seen and felt.

Taernichanthach strode through the forests with purpose; clear of direction but undecided of destination. She needed an easy path back to her realm in the Faewild, and she was not about to overexert herself each time she wanted to step across the gap. Creating her own grove would allow her to create a store of her power, and that in turn would allow her to create a bridge across the gap between worlds.

But this forest feared her. These deciduous trees feared her cold and her winter. They were not like her boreal homeland. The presence of the Winter Court struck fear into this place. Where Taernichanthach moved, the forest parted. Branches and leaves shied away from her, and even the roots beneath her feet trembled silently as she passed. These temperate woodlands would not welcome her, not without convincing.

Magic is inherent to the Faefolk. It comes as naturally to them as breathing, for they are connected to their realm in such a way few creatures could relate with. They are shaped by it, molded by it, and made of it. Their bodies are woven into the great tapestry and their voices each sing amidst the Faewild's chorus.

Taernichanthach never saw that rush coming.

Something... Indescribable... Struck her like a tidal wave. A force overwhelmed and flooded her senses; it blinded her with its radiance, deafened her with its screeching, and smothered her as if she was drowning in tar. She gripped her chest and fell to one knee, the breath stolen from her lungs as she struggled to breathe and filter out whatever was trying to drown her. She covered her ears, clenched her eyes shut. Her senses screamed; she had only experienced this kind of power once, and her lack of preparation for it left her scarred.

Enough.

Enough!

"Enough!" she roared with finality.

With that final effort, Taernichanthach realized her intent. A barrier formed around herself and that ambient magic. She took her breath and stood, feeling lightheaded from the encounter. Her skin tingled as sensation replaced numbness, but as magic was part of her being, she could still feel that force around her threatening to crush her if she mis-stepped.

What... Was that...?

The young Archfey regained her composure, steadied herself, and moved towards the force's origin. A hexagonal tower in a clearing, situated next to a smithy. The contrast between the two was almost comical, but Taernichanthach had seen enough of Le'Raana's folk that this was not the strangest place to find buildings. That tower was the source of that overpowering essence, and the closer she drew to it, the most difficult it was to stave off. She could feel it pressing against her barrier; but a Knight of the Pale Queen would not be so easily defeated. She would find out what this was.

And what better way than to ask questions? She drew out her blade, turned it over, and rapped the pommel against the heavy steel door thrice. Each strike of silvered mithril against its surface rang out with the power of a church bell, and much louder than it should have been. She was determined to gain the attention of whatever creature resided here.
Cynbel 'Zima' Kovac-Graza - Lancer of House Graza

Aksho - Wandering Beast Fae

Beyhe Kanayhen - Weaver, Trader, Legend

Taernichanthach - Knight of the Pale Queen

Rel Usaad - Iron Dragon, back from the dead.

Tá-ngouà-yè-tlokui-à-tsokè - Lizardman, Seeker of the Sun

Tee-kup - Goblin Wizard Extraordinaire!

Calen Ardanel - Vampiric Lord of Castle Luna Nova

Ahib and Vedi - Twin Dryads of the Draconi

Tathfheithleann - Certified Alchemist

Scyrus42

Areus was hardly expecting visitors, let alone one that went straight in while he was working. the ringing took him out of his almost meditative bliss, the orbs of floating metal shuddered a bit, spiking out and shifting before settling into their idle airborne rest.

"Bycht'm"

he let out a curse in his native tongue. he shook his head and regained himself, past the blinding violet of his magic, he sensed something colder. another strange magic, before his mind could start churning out questions, he stopped himself.

"a moment"

over the months of his living there, he needed less and less magic to speak the common tongue of this land. he stepped to the door, but on his way, picked up his hammer.

an heirloom from his mother, it was the best smithing hammer he ever used, and as he found, it was quite effective in combat. so he clutched it in his hand, the familiar weight comforting, before opening the door to the blade-wielding fae.

"ah... hello, welcome to the Wizard Blacksmith.  can I help you?"

Imperfect_M

Taernichanthach gazed into the violet, burning eyes of some kind of... Human-but-not-quite-Human. She rested the point of that alchemically silvered blade on the ground between her feet and narrowed her eyes, her pupils forming cat-like slits.

When dealing with Fae, wording is one of the most important things to remember when speaking to them. They are bound by their supernatural Laws, but what's more is that they can hold others accountable to those laws by proxy. To break such Laws are what allow the Fae to steal power, identities, or even life from the unwitting.

This something was inexperienced with her kind, and that brought the Winter Knight some amount of ease. If he had her cornered, she could easily use the supernatural Law of the Fae to steal some of his might to make her escape.

He said 'welcome' and 'can I help you...'

Two things you never do with a Fae before you learn what they want: Give them a favor, or invite them in.

The blacksmith had done both in the same breath.

"Yes, you can," she said dryly, her voice like that of a winter breeze. Soft, yet carrying with it the promise of a biting and unforgiving frost. "Explain to me why the Song turned to screaming. Why does the air itself cry out in this place?" As one of the Winter Court, Taernichanthach was not one to develop friendly relations. Habitual friendliness was something for the Summer Court; frigid business was the dealing of Winter.

Scyrus42

his mouth grew dry, when he saw her, he had assumed she was an elf. there was no fey on archon prime, so all he knew was from stories. his grip on the hammer loosened, it hung from his fingers by the strap.

"my forge, the fire I use is from a localized... *ahem* a small star. that's why I picked this spot in the middle of the forest, so those sensitive would not react as you did. I apologize"

he looked back into the room, the magic field created by the doorway distorting the air and keeping the immense heat within the room. he looked her up and down, arcane mind analyzing the energy about her.

his eyes looked into hers, piercing violet. he stepped toward her, past the barrier and his own magic was emanating off him, unbarred by the barrier. the air took on the smell of ozone, with hints of vanilla. it permeated all throughout the room.

he looked back, the ore slowly melting, but it would take a while for the rest to melt. he bit his lip a bit.

"I'm sorry, but I just offloade4d some ore, it should be another half hour or so until it's molten, then I can cover the star"

he wasn't sure what to offer, his own magic like warning bells each time he wanted to open his mouth. he still looked to the fae with equal amounts of compassion and curiosity, sorry for his actions, but curious about her.

Imperfect_M

"You picked a poor place, wizard," Taernichanthach rebuked, "The wildlands in your world reflect and overlap with mine. You would be better off putting your... 'Star' in a city."

The Winter Knight twitched her ears in vague irritation. A star, he said... The idea of such a powerful object being so close intrigued her, but at the same time she was already pushing its ambient might away with her own. Plenty of Fae she knew would surely be driven to madness or be wholly incapacitated just by being near the object. Or worse, they would go into shock and perish.

The not-so-Human took a step towards her and her delicate fingers moved from the pommel of her sword to its handle.

"You are being a poor host," she threatened. In the Laws of the Fae, two were in play: The Law of the Host, and the Law of the Guest. Aureus was the Host, and Taernichanthach the guest. He brought his hammer, she brought her blade; but neither raised their weapon to the other. If Taernichanthach acted first, she would prove a poor Guest and be practically powerless so long as she was through the man's threshold... But if Aureus proved himself a poor Host, then Taernichanthach would be at the advantage.

"I'm sorry, but I just offloaded some ore. It should be another half hour or so until it's molten," he explained, "Then I can cover the star."

Taernichanthach's face was still, her expression stoic and unreadable. "Then hurry and be about it," she said, "I will wait."

Scyrus42

he opened his mouth briefly to reply before just shaking his head, he set his hammer down on a nearby table, the wood creaking with its weight. he folded his arms and bit his cheek in thought.

"I can't speed it up persay, while mithril liquifies easily, adamantine is not so easy"

he gestured back, the few remaining rocks in the pile were now clumps of metal, glowing a bright red, but still mostly solid. he walked over to the other door, reaching out but pausing.

one part of him wanted to offer sanctuary while the metal melted, but another told him that inviting her into his home proper would be worse. he fought off the other feeling.

"my tower is warded against the energy, for when I need to let it melt ovarnight. I can get some food if you'd like?"

he pushed the door open, the ground floor was standard, a hearth with a magic fire within, a pot hanging above. a few chairs sat around a table, a nice rug covered the brick floor.

Imperfect_M

And so the game of Host-and-Guest began...

Taernichanthach strode past and through the threshold with little resistance. Aureus had already invited her through with the words "welcome to..." With the Host lowering his guard- at least to the point of disarming himself- Taernichanthach did the same. With a simple, graceful gesture her silvered sword found itself back in its sheathe.

"My tower is warded against the energy, for when I need to let it melt overnight," Aureus explained, "I can get some food if you'd like?"

Proper courtesy would be to accept the gesture, as such is the nature of the Guest. But he had added "if you'd like." It freed Taernichanthach to decline.

"I would not like," she answered. There was no malice in her tone, only a certain matter-of-factness.

The Winter Knight found herself a nice wooden chair to sit in and made herself at home, crossing her legs and surveying her surroundings while she waited for Aureus to finish doing... Whatever it was he was doing.

A star, she mused... Oh how the Pale Queen would love to get her hands on that. Such an artifact could easily be used as a power source or some kind of spellcasting reagent. But on the other hand, the fact that its mere presence had caused such a profound effect on her... Perhaps it was better off outside the Faewilds, regardless of who held it.

She kept her face and expression still, like that of a porcelain statue. Despite nearly having suffered the magical equivalent of an aneurysm mere minutes ago, she appeared to be perfectly at ease in her chair. She didn't seem to be keen on conversation, though that may be because she was so on her guard. A wizard with an artifact that had such an effect on her kind was not someone to be taken lightly. She knew the danger she was in; now whether or not Aureus knew that was up to him.