Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Winter Rose (platonicluv)

Started by DragonSong, October 13, 2021, 01:02:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DragonSong

@platonicluv

(song for the title)

They were rare things, winter flowers.

Rare and precious, especially to her. Though the Riverlands tended to be relatively mild even in the coldest months, it was still the time of year she often found herself starving--a flower seller with no flowers wasn't really much of anything, after all. She usually managed to get by with pressed petals and charms that she'd make during the warmer parts of the year, but times were still lean.

Not so much because she had fewer wares to sell--of course there was that, but it wasn't what truly made her hate the season. Well. When she could hate at all. Everyone wore so many layers in the cold. It was nearly impossible for her to touch anyone skin-to-skin, and when she did the contact almost never lasted long enough for her to truly feed. She had to get by on scraps and wisps, just enough to keep her functional. Some weeks were harder than others.

Like this one. She hadn't fed in almost ten days, and the smile she put on any time someone passed the young woman in tattered homespun with her basket of wares on one arm hovering on the corner of a side street was brittle and lifeless. It didn't exactly help with making a sale.

"Dried violets, love?" she called to the young woman who worked in the bakery down the way. The girl smiled at her, but shook her head apologetically as she hurried passed.

"Peony charm for luck?" she tried for the group of more finely dressed young men heading in the other direction. They ignored her completely.

Her eyes lit on her next target--and she hesitated. She thought for a moment, head tilted, then reached into her basket and pulled out the prize she'd been saving for when she grew truly desperate.

"Buy a rose, darlin'?" She smiled, holding the blood red bloom up to show that it was still fresh, alive. "A winter rose is a precious thing, y'know."

platonicluv

Kavik had made decent coin today, the people of Selevea seemed to need fur during this winter. Though, it never ceased to be humorous to the Hyoite male how tame cold could be outside of the tundra. In fact, he had even forgone his coat and rolled up his sleeves, warmed up after the hours of walking, bartering, and trading.

As the male made his way through the sparsely filled street, ready to return to the inn he was lodging at while in town, he soaked in whatever sights and sounds grabbed his attention, always marveling at just how different, well, everything was outside of Hyoite. Though he rarely enjoyed traveling, when the male did force himself to leave the tundra, he oft enjoyed the change of pace.

For example, selling flowers in the winter was something one could apparently do here! As his head swiveled towards the direction of the flower peddler, Kavik noted her as the same flower seller he had seen a few days prior. He'd only just made eye contact, when she directly addressed him with a pitch, and the male awkwardly fiddled with his knapsack before walking closer.

The blossom she held out was vividly red, almost jarring, but hypnotizing to stare. Though, Kavik wasn't in any need for a winter rose, he knew he would feel guilty passing by a fellow peddler, when he knew he could afford to spare a few coins on the flower.

"How much for it?..." he asked the girl, peering down at her. She didn't seem that short from a distance. Or that sick, as Kavik noted the gaunt quality of her features. Even the hand holding out the rose seemed to waver slightly, the wrist looked worryingly thin.

"Actually, I'll take the lot," Kavik amended, retrieving his coin purse.

DragonSong

"Three copper bits--" Adrianna started, and then he offered to buy the whole basket.

That was enough to startle a moment of true, genuine surprise from her. Quite a feat, considering how long it had been since she fed. She looked down at the flowers on her arm, then to the one she held, then back up into his face, wide eyed.

"Th-that--I mean--" It was nearly dusk. In almost any other situation, any other day, she would have been more suspicious, more wary. Selling all her wares in one go was something of a risk--she'd have nothing to start the day with tomorrow, she'd have to visit one of her little "gardens" and that ate away hours faster than she'd like--but she'd only made one other sale the whole day, and she was starving.

"...Two silver for the basket," she whispered, still staring up at the stranger with that frozen, shocked expression. It was maybe a little pricy for a basket of dried flower charms, but hey. In for a penny.

She looked down at the rose in her hand, then back up at him. Something in her chest fluttered, an echo of an echo of emotion, and her lips curved up very slightly on one side. "Two silver for the basket," she repeated, shifting it to hand it to him, "and you can have this one free."

She leaned up to tuck the carefully plucked rose into the lapel of his shirt, letting her fingertips brush just barely against his collar as she did. Her other hand pressed the handle of the basket into his palm, thumb skating against the edge of his hand.

platonicluv

Kavik tilted his head in slight confusion at her initial hesitance, maybe she thought he was scamming her? That must be it, the male found it hard to believe a seller would be conflicted with parting from their wares if it meant coin coming in. Then again, Kavik did recall slight moments melancholy when selling his finest pieces, perhaps she had a similar dilemma.

"Two silver it is then," he agreed, not bothering to barter the price down. As he fished out the bits from his purse, the male inwardly pondered at what exactly he would do with the impulsive purchase... well, he could always use the charms to decorate his hut back home. Maybe the flowers would help bring some cheer to the otherwise drafty environment.

As he handed over the two silver, the male startled slightly at the girl's touch, and he flinched backwards after the trade. Kavik wanted to explain away the reaction as himself merely being wary or unused to physical touch, due to his largely isolated state of being, but her fingers were ice cold.

And he would know, he lived on a frostbitten mountain for the greater part of the year.

Perhaps she was a lot more sick than could be perceived? Kavik's eyebrows furrowed as he gave her a worried glance, "Are you sure you're alright...? You should bundle up more or get home to the fire," he suggested, his tone laced with concern.

DragonSong

Damnit.

He'd pulled back too fast for her to taste more than the edge of his emotions--something lost, something sad, something deep--and she couldn't press the contact without seeming suspicious, or making him uncomfortable. Despite the fact that she was starving, she really never wanted to press her luck with people's comfort with contact. It was why selling street wares tended to work best for her.

She quickly dropped her eyes when he asked if she was alright, forcing her breathing to even out. Gods, she needed to feed.

Maybe...

She glanced up at him through her lashes and replied cautiously, "Don't got a home to get to, ser. Nor nothing more to wear." She shrugged, forced a tiny smile, hoped she looked heart-wrenchingly pathetic rather than just sick and starved. "The silver will help, though. Thank you."

If she couldn't feed properly from his emotions, maybe she could play on his sympathy. He clearly wasn't wealthy, a traveling trader of some kind, but chances were he had a warmer place to sleep than whatever doorstep or hidden alcove she'd be trying to find tonight.

platonicluv

No place to stay? Kavik felt a rush of guilt and pity for the girl. It just didn't feel fair, especially considering how obviously sick she seemed. He found it hard to believe people could see someone homeless and suffering and not be compelled to help.

Or maybe that was just him, still projecting his own past onto others. Maybe people had valid reasons to rush past with their collars turned up and worry about themsleves first. But Kavik knew he couldn't mimic them so easily. Maybe living in the snow turned you warm?

The male awkwardly rubbed the back of his neck as he thought of someway to offer assistance to the girl. "Well... I'm staying at the Moonsand Inn down the road, if you'd like a warm meal, and I can try to talk to the innkeeper about finding you a room for a few nights?"

The male hoped he wasn't coming off too forward or intrusive, but from what he knew about chill-related illness, it was better to get her some warm board and food sooner rather than later, and hope that he'd be able to connect her with some people in town who would be kind enough to help when he had to move on.

DragonSong

Well.

That was easier than she’d expected.

Despite how dulled her own emotions were this far out from a feeding, Adrianna still felt a tiny pulse of something like surprise, then almost indignation. Did she look that ill?

Okay. She probably did. Fair enough.

She tucked her head humbly and nodded once, shy. “I—thank you. I would…appreciate that very much, ser.” She glanced up at him again, worrying at her lower lip as she tried to figure out the most tactful way to make sure they were on the same page with this. “I don’t…I really do just sell flowers, ser. I’m not looking to sell, ah…company. If that’s what you’re expecting.”

She tipped her head to one side, hoped her eyes were at least somewhat alive, and added pleasantly, “But if it’s truly just kindness you offer, I’ll take it gladly. Thank you.”

She didn’t exactly have the options to be picky just now.

platonicluv

Her reaction puzzled Kavik, as did her words, until the meaning seemed to dawn on him, and the tall male took a few steps back and hurriedly waved his hands to quell the interpretation, the basket of flower charms swinging from his wrist.

"Ah, no! Not at all! I definitely did not mean company in that way!" his words stammered out in a rush, "I'm so sorry, I truly just meant to help in any way if possible.." Gods, this was awkward, and the male's face was likely glowing red, contrasting against his pale coloring.

"I-if it makes you feel better I can just give you the money for the meal and room, though I don't know I have enough to cover it all...," he muttered at the end, his tone still embarrassed, as he rifled through his coin purse. "But I would still recommend the Moonsand Inn, the innkeeper is a good man and can give you a fair rate."

By now Kavik had unconsciously taken a few more paces back, wanting to establish distance between them to ensure she did not feel he was imposing.. that offer.

"I just... I know what it feels like to... not really be able to take care of yourself and no one stops to help. So I just wanted to stop. And help."

Kavik's voice trailed off at the end of the statement and he mentally winced, berating himself. He just made it more awkward. And he never talked about himself. Or the past. This interaction was very unpredictable, maybe that's why most people minded their own business and kept to themsleves.

DragonSong

Despite herself, Adrianna found the barest hint of a smile tugging at her lips as he hurriedly assured her that he was not, in fact, trying to solicit her as a prostitute. She let him stammer for a few more moments--partially because she didn't have the energy to work through her own words fast enough, and partially because even in her current dulled state, it was just funny--before she raised a hand slightly to halt his offer of more coin.

"You've already offered enough," she assured him quietly, the tiniest flicker of amusement in her eyes. Just for a moment. "Honestly, ser, you've overpaid for those flowers. And I thank you for it. I'll not take anymore coin off you."

She glanced down, scuffed a foot against the cobblestones, then looked up again and said slowly, "But if you'd let me accompany you to the inn... They don't normally let my sort in, is all. But if I was with someone already staying there, they probably won't pay me any mind."

The two silvers he'd given her would get a hot meal, at least. And, more importantly, it might offer her an excuse to stay close to him a little longer, which could give her another chance at feeding. Whatever she'd caught the edges of with that slight touch before had been powerful. Hells, it was deep enough emotion that he might barely notice her taking a bit.

Something in her expression softened a bit as she tilted her head at him again. She didn't seem to realize--she certainly didn't feel any different--but for just a moment there was a hint of color in her cheeks as she offered a small smile that she didn't have to force nearly as much as she would have expected.

"I do appreciate the kindness, ser. Truly."

platonicluv

Kavik was still pale pink, his face considerably warm against the slight breeze that was starting to pick up with the dimming sun. The girl seemed to trust his insistence, and he inwardly breathed a sigh of relief, putting his coin purse back once again after her refusal to accept more.

"I have no problem accompanying you there, I'm surprised they don't let you in." he said, once again feeling guilty on her behalf. He'd always stayed at this inn when he had business in the area, and found it troubling to learn that they could be so unfair to people in need. Hopefully he could mention something along the lines if he had a chance to talk to the innkeeper later.

Kavik awkwardly fiddled with the handle of the flower charm basket, debating whether he should start leading the way or if it would be politer for her to walk in front, when he finally decided to stay in line and moved up, though making sure to keep an arms length between her.

"We can go now if you'd like, it seems to be getting dark," the male asked her. Once they started walking, he would turn to her and share, "Also I'm Kavik, I realize I didn't even bother to share my name before extending help, I apologize again for any misgivings," with a small sheepish smile, holding a hand out to shake hers if she complied.

DragonSong

Oh thank the gods.

A flicker of relief, a powerful response in her current state, lit up her chest. She forced a smile that she hoped didn't look as desperate as she suspected and reached out to take his offered hand. "Adrianna," she supplied as her fingers wrapped carefully around his.

It took all of her self control not to just drain everything she needed from that brief contact. She'd been worse off than this--nearly a month without a proper feeding--and had accidentally done it before. The woman she'd siphoned from had gone blank and listless with terrifying speed, and careful observation had shown Adrianna that it had taken nearly two full days for her to recover. Much longer than was usual.

So she was cautious, "sipping" at the well of emotion she'd felt from their brief contact earlier.

Sorrow, grief, loneliness, aching and cold and--

A tiny gasp slipped passed her lips even as her fingers warmed slightly in his, and she warred with herself for a moment before pulling her hand back.

"I, um..." She swallowed thickly, allowing the wisp of emotion to settle in her body, change from his sorrow into something warm and golden and hers. She blinked, then offered him a slightly more genuine smile as she continued walking beside him. "I've never heard the name, ser. I take it you're not Serenian?"

She knew that already, of course, the clothes and accent gave it away easily enough. But she had the energy for a bit of idle conversation now, so why not?

"And most inns don't like to offer up space for free--particularly not to people who may steer more respectable clientele away," she added with a quick, wry smile, having caught the brief edges of upset and guilt he'd felt at the idea.

platonicluv

Kavik frowned slightly at the change in her expression and tone, though it lasted for a brief moment. "No, I'm from Hyoite," he responded, his tone a tinge brighter than was ever usual for him. The male internally registered a brief lightness, something that felt abnormal and deviated from the norm for him. But no clear awareness of what or why. He gave his head a small shake, returning from the mental alarms to the moment at hand, he was probably just tired from the long day.

"Life outside of Hyoite always seems a bit strange to me," he continued after hearing her comment, "We always help people in trouble, no one would be turned away because they couldn't pay for a room." The male let the critique hang in the air for a bit before continuing with a shrug, "I suppose every land has its own customs, but the Hyoite way seems... kinder, perhaps."

Kavik curbed his speech as they reached the door of the inn, and he strode ahead to open the door for Adrianna, giving her a small smile. As the pair entered the brightly-lit and bustling tavern, Kavik scanned the busy area for the boisterous innkeeper.

"I don't see Sir Respyhnd, we could try to ask for him after dinner, if you'd like?" Kavik asked the girl, looking down at her. The male wanted to make sure she at least managed to eat something.

DragonSong

Adrianna found herself smiling a bit—naturally, without having to think about it or force herself to keep it in place, dear gods she'd missed this—and gave a quiet, almost set-deprecating chuckle when he spoke of his homeland.

"I suppose the people of Hyoite must be kind. The land certainly isn't going to be." She cocked her head. "Though I'll admit I'm surprised the tundra hasn't shaped people to be...well, colder. If you'll forgive the pun."

When they entered the tavern, she froze. Just for a moment. But there was just so much: noise and people and light and smells and laughter and—

She had to take a breath, fingers curling in tight to her palms as she resisted the urge to reach out and grab the nearest arm so she could feed properly. "Respyhnd?" she repeated, glancing around. "Mm. Y'know, not sure I ever actually knew his name..." She gave her head a little shake, then shot him another smile. This one was slightly more practiced; not quite her "sales" smile, but closer. "Oh, I don't think we'll need to bother him overmuch. I'm here on you're generosity, serrah, not his."

Adrianna stepped a little closer to Kavik as they moved further into the room, both to avoid the throngs of people and also to keep herself within reaching distance of her current meal ticket, as it were. "Do you, ahh...have a table?" she ventured as she dodged a quick-footed serving girl, returning the young woman's wink with a crooked smile of her own for a fraction of a breath before the expression became too difficult to maintain.