Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

The land called Boblin

Started by LostSoul, June 12, 2022, 03:11:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LostSoul

Godfrey sadly could not avoid being called back to be showered with gifts for saving Serendity from a diplomatic incident with a thief stealing a princesses necklace and was promptly given the responsibility of a lone, squalid rural area on the border of the kingdom, near the mountain range that acted as barrier to the colder north.

The forests were lush here, the darkest of greens, the tree's old and thick, the woods here were old, many rumored to be ancient and magical, some even having stores of ruins or secrets from the mountains themselves. The mountains peaks just in sight from the rural area, however, not all was right.

Most of the houses were in disrepair, boarded up walls with clear gaps to the inside, the thatch rotten and looking ready to collapse into the tittering houses. The grain storage leaning like it may fall at any moment, and the fields looked dead, with but few stalks still up, like someone salted the earth. What villagers remained looked like the undead, starved or wounded from unseen force, and few there was. The supposed house he accquired with the deed to the land with a hut...that promptly collapsed soon as Godfrey showed up. The villagers hiding in their own almost collapsed huts.

Godfrey was on a horse, the same one he rented once to carry Missendria, he still bore the scars, and they were worth it to this day. He was happier then ever to despite the obvious dubious and quite frankly, literally dying farm in front of him. In the time since his meeting with certain dream seeker, he had dreamed even higher, he was happy, and it kept him going as he did tasks not because he thought he needed too, but because he wanted too. He helped those who needed it, serving as a hero to the people around here. Other places could wait when Serendity, his own kingdom suffered.

He did frown at the collapsed hut, and the area, what manner of such could allow it too fall to this extent? He had asked the villagers who remained, saying it was goblins, a mountain tribe ruled by some orc or hobgoblin, demanding they raid.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

According to what he was told, it was quite a large tribe, and not one willing to listen to diplomacy. So here he sat, in a town miles over in an inn, hiring adventures and mercenaries with what few coin he had to take on this threat. He was not a rich man, but not poor either from his years helping others, and had quite a bit of connections with the local towns he had helped, his good name spread, getting plenty of glory seekers and those looking for a few silver coins. But not any hardened troops, he did have land, but he had yet to reap such a benefit when it was already collapsed, he had to restore it.

He had collected about 15 men, 4 of them poachers and hunters, which were which he was not sure, in such rural places, both went hand in hand. The rest were those in leathers with spears, hatchets, or long dirks, unable to afford better equipment, nor could he blame them. It took him an entire year of fighting bandits and other monsters to get such equipment of chain and a solid shield, and he almost lost his life for taking the fast route!

They were in the tavern drinking, laughing about what riches they would earn from this tribe of goblins, Godfrey was not in such a cheer at his own table, sipping his ale, not celebrating like the others. These men were laughing...but how many would die? They thought it a joke, but it was surely not, battle was a serious manner, many he thought may flee, about half he suspected. He sighed as he looked over the tavern, sitting in his own peasant clothing, unable to afford better himself, only in name was he better.

He looked for one more to hire, one more, or even a kind person to take up arms to help the land, other wise, it was doomed to fall and what he had the good fortune to receive would be lost due to raiders. Maybe it was already doomed? But he had to try, he had to try and save them now, it was his farm and people after all.

Hyacinthus

The doors of the tavern quietly creaked amidst the merriment and jovialities of it's patrons as a wee lass, perhaps a head shorter than Godfrey, made her way inside. No, she wasn't lost; In fact, after a long quest away from the heart of the nation, Sophie often frequented such places, this one in particular as her work very often took her to the northern reaches of Connlaoth, and sometimes even further. Dreadful what was going on up there-- The civil war affecting the Duchy, the countless displaced peoples of the kingdom, the lives lost in raids and senseless violence. Dreadful, yes, but one mouse-girl only do so much... And stopping a war was not on the 'do' list.

Thus did she often come here, not to wallow away in the sorrows of the woes of the world, but to take a break from them-- as well as to write, sometimes. The lighting was quite nice for a tavern! Sophie happily saw herself to a small table for two at most, and began writing notes on her most recent trip to Le'marri, including her first in-person interaction with a Fairy! As she did, one of the tavern waitresses spotted her-- she was hard to miss, those large, mouse-like ears, after all, and sauntered over to greet her. "My, my-- I've missed my favorite little white mouse!" She greeted the girl, who's aforementioned ears perked slightly at her voice, before she raised her head to greet the waitress with a smile of her own. "Claudia! The last time I was here, the barkeep said you weren't feeling well-- But begged me not to go and kick your door down with soup and herbs in hand," The little researcher explained, a warm smile on her face as the waitress rested for a moment at her table.

"All for the best that you didn't-- Whiteworm infestation in the residential district I live in, at that time. Certainly not allowing you to go anywhere near my home with those nasty little bugs about! Took the district a few days to round up the money to put in a proper request for extermination at the guild." Sophie frowned, closing her book and leaning forward on the table. "You know I could've gotten rid of those for you, and the other residents! Would've just required a couple satchels of riverwart and--" She began, before being shushed by the waitress. "And you would've done it without a copper of pay-- that's why I didn't tell you. I told you before, hunny-- You're worth every coin any lad offers you, and then some. But, never you mind; All sorted out, and life's back to normal. Enough about me, hun-- Getcha a drink?" She asked, and as Sophie opened her mouth with excitement to speak, Claudia smirked and matched her word for word.

"Oat milk, warm, with peppermint and cinnamon."
"Oat milk, warm, with peppermint and cinnamon."

Sophie and Claudia shared a girlish laugh, the mouse-girl's predictable nature winning out in the end as the waitress merely nodded and jotted the order down. "Be right out, hun. Won't you mingle for a bit while you wait? See what trouble you can get yourself into-- and what gold you can make?" She teased with a wink, though Sophie could only shake her head with a smile. "Rough-and-tumble types here, today-- I took stock as I walked in. That lot over there, for example," Sophie noted quietly, referencing the group of would-be mercenaries and sword-hands gathered at a couple of tables some distance away from her, with a meek smile. "I try to keep my distance... Fighting was never really my strong suit. Point me to the nearest sheep-herder in need of help!" She joked, though Claudia merely rolled her eyes.

"Oh, come now. Who wouldn't want to adventure forth with the legendary Sophie Rowe, Historian and Alchemist extraordinaire, discoverer of the ancient temple of Chiril, parlayed of the Frostbite bandit clan of Ogive, and herder of sheep?" Claudia bragged loudly, causing Sophie to go red in the face-- presumably, given the fact that said face was now hidden behind her hands. "Claudia, stop!" She begged, which only caused the waitress to giggle a bit more, before waving a hand in acknowledgement. "Fine, fine, enjoy your relatively peaceful life to it's fullest, love. I'll have that drink right out, sit tight!" She said with a kindly smile, before waving goodbye to Sophie and sauntering away, leaving the girl to return to her writings.

LostSoul

Godfrey took another sip, eyes glancing for the 356th time as someone walked in, eyes shooting up, he even stopped drinking, mouse ears? He raised his brows as he looked over the person, his brow falling slightly, alas, yet another  bean pole, one day Godfrey, one day, he'll just have to find his five wifes to fatten...even then, he doesn't have time to fantasize, he's got a town to save.

He looked her over carefully, cheery, small, doesn't look like the fighting type. He looked away ,back to sipping before glancing over as the waitress began to speak to her. He listened for a bit, bored, looking more over as the waitress began to brag. He looked the mouse up and down again, then shrugged, well, guess this was his last person. He didn't see anyone else, and who knows she may have some hidden knowledge, maybe make something that goes boom! Or something to make someone taller, or simply have some brains...huh, actually. She will be useful, imagine having a town with an alchemist? Thats a rarity, and if he could convince one to be at service?

He grinned standing up as he walked over with his drink

"Lo thar! Mind if I join ya? I got a job and hiring, heard ya may need coin and figured I would offer it to ya.," he said bowing his head politely as he offered his hand.

"Godfrey be my name! Well met thar!" he says following up, now, he's done plenty of trade, so lets see what kind of bargain he can make with the mouse. He stands next to the empty chair, not seating yet, a step closer to her with a wide smile, hand extended.

Hyacinthus

With Claudia away, Sophie had plenty of space and relative quiet (the white noise of the tavern was easy enough to drown out) to work on his notes. She'd written out a few theories on her way back to the city by cart; Some regarding the supposed magical ley lines beneath Le'marri that no one thus far had been able to prove existed (with good reason-- from her understanding, magical phenomena didn't typically stay in one place like that), as well as some information about the moth fae that she'd encountered. It was all very boring to the outsider looking in, for certain; To Sophie, it was magic itself. The data she recorded, once compiled and reviewed with some of the other notes she had stored away in her cart (she typically kept it outside of most towns-- wheeling it about through crowded streets was a hassle) might reveal new concepts-- or variations thereof-- on Fae magic versus what the textbooks in most Serendipity libraries offered, after all. And while she wasn't particularly gifted in Fae magic-- or magic at all-- if it shed some light onto the inner workings of how their kin perform spellcraft, it would useful information for just about anyone!

So busy into her writing was she that she only barely heard the approaching footsteps of a man she didn't recognize; Her mouse-like ears twitched as his voice rang out in her direction, drawing her out of her comfort zone of writing and causing her to raise her head once more. "O-oh! Hello there, sir-- I'm Sophie. It's nice to meet you, as well." She replied politely with an encouraging smile, shaking the outstretched hand-- anything less would've been rude, after all. She couldn't be completely sure... but she was fairly certain he'd come from the tables where that large group had been enjoying themselves. Was he, perhaps, their leader...? "What did you have in mind? A quest of some sort?"

LostSoul

Godfrey nodded, taking a seat, putting his drink down, away from her notes, seeming important.

"Right to business, recently came into a bit o' land, problem is, its being raided, goblins, up in the mountains, farm area is a couple of miles away, farther is the mountains. Big mountain raiders up there, and not willing to be diplomatic about things. So hiring sell swords and the like. I can offer 50 silver for the job, and a cut of what the goblins may have. From what I gather, nay sound like a fighter, but could use a swift mind with sound knowledge." he says with a nod.

"I know its nay much...but its all I can offer." he says, scratching his head after a moment. Glancing at her notes, then back up to her curiously, going to take a sip from his drink, watching her reaction curiously, brow raised. She was certainly curious, and interested, he hoped money wasn't of interest...nor was he sure he should tell it that it was very likely that the two of them would be doing the bulk of the work for this thing...if she was competent, other wise, it would just be him doing the bulk of the work as his 'sell swords' ran stupidly around and died...he hoped they didn't, but from what he had scene, the first fight was going to be a massacre as people would have to fight, like, really fight, for the first time.

Hyacinthus

Politely, patiently, Sophie listened quietly as Godfrey explained his case— her tail swishing behind her on her seat as he spoke. "I see..." She noted somewhat pensively as the man before her finished up, still clearly deep in thought. Goblins, was it? In truth, she hadn't had many interactions with them— not the more savage, instinctual kin. She had met a "friendly" goblin once— in spite of the common saying of 'the only good goblin is a dead one'. That said, even they didn't part on good terms— "friendly" by goblin standards was nothing more than not immediately resorting to violence, it seemed.

The sim for the quest was palpable; 50 silver could definitely afford Sophie a number of new tombs and some easier re-supplying for a few weeks on herbs and alchemical ingredients. If nothing else, it definitely covered the expenses of travel and then some, for someone like her who lived as a relative minimalist— no real home of her own to speak of, though not of her own volition. Who knew— perhaps the goblins had a few treasures of their own that were worth enough to be able to to afford renting out or buying a small home! Imagine that— stability, in a life of adventure and research. One could only dream.

This, with a kind smile, Sophie nodded before coming to her conclusion. "Thank you for considering me— I'll have to decline."

LostSoul

He took a drink after she declined, well shit. He offered his best offer right off the bat. After finishing his drink he put down five silver "To pay for yar meal and drink tonight, sorry for bothering and have a good rest of yar night miss Sophie." he said nodding with a grin, taking a seat at his lone table again, glancing at his rowdy 15 as one fell over hammered out of his mind, he face palmed a little before taking another sip

Seems this was doomed to be a shit show. He pulled out a couple of maps and began to look them over, guess he'll start planning his unfortunate demise now, he chuckled at the thought, he would totally be crying and lossing hair in a few days. Oh yes...best area ever to have land...yep.

Hyacinthus

"Oh-- very kind of you, but no need; I'm sure you could use it more than me." Sophie replied in regards to Godfrey's kind offer to pay for her meal with an equally polite tone and smile, gently pushing the coins back to him. Yes, her most recent reward following the completion of her quest in Le'marri would more than cover the expenses of her meals for a few days, and Sophie very rarely went a few days without a new quest underway. As he stood to leave, Sophie kindly waved, before realizing he'd left the coins there regardless of her refusal. Silly fellow; Oh well, some folk had more money than they knew what to do with, Sophie presumed, and returned her attentions back to the book she was so avidly scribbling into. She wouldn't get too far into her writings within it, however, before a familiar feminine voice caught her ears.

"Aww-- look at you, being as anti-social as ever." Sophie rolled her eyes with a smile as she once more looked up from her writings to see that her drink had arrived, not with Claudia, but with another regular face of the tavern. She was a stocky, portly lass; A foot or two taller than Sophie, though that wasn't a great feat in itself. She had weight enough for at least three of the mouse-girl, however; and impractically fair skin to boot. Her ginger, frizzy hair done up into a sensually loose bun, and her waitress's uniform cut a little short in all the right places. Sophie truly never did understand the art of seduction-- but she knew a woman who should've been born a succubus when she saw one. "Oh, stop it, Susie-- I was perfectly polite!"

The plump waitress merely chuckled a husky chuckle, setting down Sophie's steaming drink from a wooden tray. "I almost thought you caught yourself a suitor-- Even paid for your drink, looks like?" Susie teased, to Sophie's dismay. The kindly, yet overly flirtatious maid was often like this; having a laugh at her expense, though never in mean spirits. Sophie sighed, pulling her drink closer to her, feeling the warmth of it spread from her hands and through her body. "Honestly... You're incorrigible. Nothing so fantastic-- he's forming a band of adventurers to raid a goblin den, and just asked if I might join his merry group." She explained, before taking a sip of the milk. The wondrous scent of pepperment filled her nose as she did, and her mouth swelled with the flavor of cinnamon. They even frothed it; Claudia's doing, no doubt. What a wonderful lady!

"Right up your alley then, no?"

"Raiding means fighting," Sophie continued to explain, taking another sip of her drink before putting it down with somewhat concerned eyes, "And fighting usually means killing. You know I'm not that kind of adventurer." Susie quietly nodded as she listened to the girl, before tapping a finger on her chin. It was true, now that the waitress thought about it; Many an adventurer came through those front doors, boasting of the glory they'd won in battle, or how they barely escaped some great beast with their lives. Sophie's own tales, while normally just as entertaining, tended to be comparatively more... tame. "Fair enough, cutie; Fair enough. Then, at the very least, why not give him a proper good luck sendoff? A little something to put some pep in his step?" Susie hinted with a smile, gesturing to the coin he'd left at the table with a wink. Sophie tilted her head, a bit confused at her phrasing, before it clicked.

"Oh, I was just going to return this-- but I suppose that works too." She happily replied, impressed by the waitress's interpersonal skills; She'd never have even thought of that. With sudden gusto, Sophie pulled from a pouch at her side her trusty mortar and pestle, as well as what looked to be a flower of some sort, perhaps? And some herbs from another pouch. Susie simply giggled, collecting the coin; 'Payment' for providing what she'd need to provide.

Some time into Godfrey's plottings, Susie would return; Though not to Sophie this time, but Godfrey instead. Her steps somewhat heavy, but with the grace of any waitress; She carefully took from a wooden tray a recently-sealed concoction of some sort; it bubbled slightly, as if only recently solved, and had a overall pleasing-looking reddish-pink color; Almost like a liquid crystalline tonic. "A good-luck gift from the mousey lass at the table some ways down; She thought you might find it useful on your adventure. Told me to tell you, 'That should cover the 5 silver'-- figured you would know what it meant." Susie explained with a smile, and a mischievous wink.

LostSoul

Godfrey kept looking over his plans, he didn't know what else to exactly plan for besides for traps, larger creatures with the goblins, goblins being geared up respectfully well, of course some sort of chaotic empowered mage, some undead, some demons...but he wasn't sure what else.

He was so enthralled he almost didn't notice the woman looking up his eyes going wide for a moment. He was going to savor this 1 second stare, a plump waitress, waves of nostalgia hitting him of his own home town inns. He smiled politely, then tilting his head "Why thank ya miss, I shall go thank her for this wonderful gift in person!" he said bowing his head politely while looking at the drink. Then standing with the drink, nodding and thanking the waitress as he headed back to the mouse, regret fully, but he did feel refreshed after seeing the waitress.

"So sorry for the interrupting, but the last time someone ordered me a drink, it was poisoned." he said laughing...but it didn't sound like a jest as he sat across from her, this time with his newly accquired sealed red drink thing.

Still smiling he asked "May ask what it is? And no need to pay me, I payed as I bothered ya in yar studying, though, it seems I am again...vary sorry thar." he said studying her closely now, paranoia from his journeys and adventures have taken its toil. He still smiled though, who knows? Perhaps it was a magic potion...but he was no way in hell drinking it. Especially after she refused and now set him a drink?

Hyacinthus

There was an obvious look of surprise in Sophie's face as she watched Susie and Godfrey from a distance out of the corner of her eye, somewhat concerned for the waitress out of sheer familiarity. The surprise wasn't due to her lack of faith in Susie's conversation skills; it was moreso due to the fact that now, for whatever reason, Godfrey was coming back to the table. She wasn't completely sure why, but as she watched him get closer and closer, she closed her book once more and sighed; this was probably Susie's doing, somehow.

As Godfrey reached the table and explained (more or less) why he'd returned, Sophie tilted her own head in confusion. "Did she... not tell you? What am I saying; Of course she didn't tell you..." The girl said with a defeated tone. In the distance, she was pretty sure she could see Susie giving her a wink and a wave from behind Godfrey before sauntering off... Minx that she was, of course she planned this. Oh well... "You most definitely shouldn't drink that so freely; it's an antidote, for lace poison. Cave-dwelling goblin tribes normally use it for hunting animals that wander into their tunnel-systems. It can put a human down in a matter of a minute, at most; you'd want to share that with your friends over there at least thirty minutes before you head into any goblin cave. Just some friendly advice from one adventurer to another; You don't need to heed it, by any means." The learned mouse-girl explained, crossing her legs on her chair.

"I might also suggest not making your first foray with more than 2, maybe... 3 others? Goblins are normally extremely territorial, and seeing the full group of you and your... sell swords," Sophie managed without laughing, as the one man who fell out of his chair struggled for a moment like an upturned tortoise to get off the floor, "They're likely to turn immediately aggressive. They have acute senses of smell, so just a few meters into the cave would set them off and have them running after you... And that's assuming they don't have a seasoned hobgoblin or greater goblin leading them."

LostSoul

Godfrey was ready for excuses or that it was a gift, then toss the thing, but explained as an antidote? Hmmm. He glanced at the drink then back again to her, alchemist and knowledgeable about goblins, shame he didn't have a gold or two to offer for more of services.

He glanced over at his table, frowning at his rag taggle of men who were cheap enough to buy, she was right there, but he already knew that. Also knew they were also highly aggressive from his personal experience, but he was looking for an all out brawl, and expected such forces, though, his men likely weren't, and he didn't want anyone to die.

He leaned back in the chair hand on his chin, maybe he could pick her brain instead? If she was scholarly, perhaps he could pry some more knowledge out of there, or use as a feed back board, anything that can serve to keep casualties lower.

His brow furrowed before speaking "Hmmm, well, it was the plan to have them running at us...but yar advice makes that easier." he said with a grin, he could send 4 in, use as bait with a trap outside once he learns where their at, bait them into the open trap them, would make the whole excursion much easier if the guards were down compared to the entirety of the lair.

He tapped his cheek "When ya say greater goblins, ya mean the ones with magic?" he asks curiously "And what do ya suggest with dealing with them magic lobbers?" he asks curiously leaning on the table intently before glancing at his table, a man throwing up and it wasn't even midnight yet. Yep, he needed EVERYTHING he could get to help those farmers, and his own hirlings, Yalthnea help him.

He pulled out a notebook making a drawing "For mountains, was thinking either a rock trap above the base, without trapping them in and us out, or smoke screen, catch them while thar distracted." he said showing her, there was other drawings, pages of trap ideas either scrapped or half baked, or still in the works, it seems the journal has seen plenty of use recently. He glanced up to watch her curiously, what else did the little mouse have in store?

Hyacinthus

The polite smile slowly faded bit by bit from Sophie's face with each of Godfrey's inquiries, as her mind returned to the truth of why she'd turned down his offer in the first place. It most certainly wasn't for the money, and it wasn't because she didn't like the idea of helping to resolve the troubles that the goblins were causing. Before she could go any further with even this friendly chat... "...I'm sorry, give me a moment..." She asked of the man, turning back to the table, and the book that she'd been working on.

Was she really going to be okay with this?

She seemed pensive, lost in thought for a few minutes at least, before eventually turning back to Godfrey, a somewhat tired look on her face-- almost a defeated one, even. She was pretty sure she knew the answer to the question she was about to ask, but she had to ask anyway. "...If you don't mind my asking, just person-to-person, what exactly do you plan to do with this information?" She asked, her hands absentmindedly tapping the cup holding her frothy drink.

"You were planning to have them all come after you and yours, so you know how aggressive cave-dwelling goblins can be. Your concerns regarding dealing with goblin shamans-- which are different than greater goblins, to be clear-- and your plotting traps... What exactly do you intend to do?" Sophie further clarified, studying Godfrey's face from her side of the table as she awaited an answer; She'd dealt with people enough to know that words weren't always the key to understanding someone else. Sometimes, actions spoke louder, and clearer; Especially body language.

LostSoul

Godfrey  raised a brow but nodded looking at the antidote  curiously, maybe he had the skills and knowledge he too could make something like this? Maybe he would be able to afford a book or two once things were settled, wow, owning books...huh.

He looked back as she asked her question and answered without hesitation "I intend to deal with the goblins forcefully, the information I'm asking is to spare as many lives of the men I just hired as I can as obviously, they aren't the best...closer to the worst in glory seeking and skills...but its the best I could afford." he said bluntly and plainly, his face in a slight frown. He would rather just do it himself, but peoples live were on the line...there was no longer time to do this carefully.

He scratched his cheek "Forgive me for asking miss, but why say person to person? Are we nay both people? Save one a little taller, the other with a better 'ead." he said with a chuckle and a small smile as he rapped his skull "If yar asking because I want to go slaughterin, nay, I would rather not have anythin to do with them...I would rather be tending too some land and rebuildin some hamlets." he said  grinning before turning serious "Instead, I'm dealin with raiders, ones bloated from me fields, arrogant enough to demand more even after taking most of whats left, and leavin nay a choice in hiring glory seekers who've yet to leave thar homes." he says pounding the table angrily.

Whoops, seems the drink loosened his tongue. He put a hand over his mouth, much too late "Errr, terribly sorry about that miss...been a frustrating day." he says keeping his head high, ears slightly red as he resisted the urge to rub his forehead, now he has little folk asking like previous clients if he did this for slaughter? No one but the insane does anything for slaughter, money, fame, glory...there is always other reasons. His? He wanted to see the smiles on his peoples faces, his lands restored...a safe place for those he loved, and...maybe some other things, but best not to think on that, it was time for seriousness, lives were on the line.

Hyacinthus

Sophie visibly recoiled a bit at Godfrey's sudden show of what she could only assume was frustration, based on his words, the reddening of his ears and the way he caught himself afterwards. She averted her eyes, admittedly intimidated to a degree; Violence was never her 'thing'. Her upbringing had left that imprint on her far, far too deep for her to overcome it with sheer willpower, or a couple drinks; That intolerance was a part of who she was, by now. And yet, she didn't run away; She stood (or at least, sat) her ground, attempting to choose her words a bit more carefully-- lest she upset the man any further.

"...I said 'person-to-person', because right now, I'm speaking from the perspective of a person... but you're listening from the perspective of an adventurer. Or a warrior. Or someone's hero, with-- with hopes and dreams on your shoulders; I don't really know. But... I do know when I'm talking to a person, and when I'm talking to... well..." She struggled to find the courage to say what she wanted to say; But eventually, after stumbling on her words for long enough, she did, and she held onto it as tightly as she could before she continued.

"...I don't think you should pursue fighting the goblins. And I don't think you want to do it either-- you as a person. I think you should consider alternatives to dealing with them that don't involve outright violence. I-- I know that it's none of my business at the end of the day, and that you're free to do as you wish, as an adventurer, or conquerer, or lord of the land... whatever you think of yourself as. But I... I don't think violence is the right way to solve this." There, she said it. Sophie wasn't particularly worked up, compared to Godfrey; Her tone was rather meek, but firm and consistent. She could only hope to talk some sense into the man before her; and if not, take some solace in the fact that she said what she felt she should've said.

LostSoul

Godfrey frowned even worse, great, he scared her. Now he rubbed his head

"Sorry, nay meant to scare ya, its been a long day." he says again, feeling absolutely terrible, he glanced over as she began to speak again, listening, tilting his head in confusion. How can someone speak from a profession stand point? He wasn't a noble speaking down to her was he? He hoped not. He furrowed his brow and waited some more..., tilting his head the other way before speaking.

"If I may, how would ya go about it? Nay listening to diplomacy, the farm is almost spent, most of the people killed, starved, or fled, the fields basiclly in ashes, nay a single person up thar, even went up thar me-self...it was nay good, couldn't even talk to them, just that they'll kill and take what they want." he says explaining the situation with a raised brow. Watching carefully, it was true, he was a person, however, he didn't get the whole labeling people, he was simply him and he had people to protect...maybe she thought her self as a role? What a weird way to view things...

He put a hand to his chin and watched her curiously, he was genuinely curious of the solution, was he likely to fight them? Yes, but a way perhaps he missed? Maybe, either way he would not deny learning, and she was offering...he just hoped he wasn't scarring it out of her, he shouldn't drink while looking at things.

Hyacinthus

Sophie listened quietly to the full extent of Godfrey's woes-- or at least the woes of the land in which he was preparing to depart for. She unfolded and folded her legs out of a sense of discomfort as he explained the degree to which the people had been suffering. Indeed, it sounded quite a bit like the goblins had done quite a bit of harm to the land, stripping them to the point of societal collapse... But Sophie's stance didn't change. She was completely convinced that more violence would only further exacerbate the issue... Be it the mental scars of her own past, or the end-result of her recent adventures.

After thinking on his question for a time, she took a deep breath, before looking down at the table. By the look of her face, it was almost as if she were visualizing something; What that something was, only Sophie knew. "...I think... I would start by gaining a better understanding of exactly what drives the goblins down into the farmlands. Cave-dwelling goblins are a very territorial species, but they rarely descend across an entire field to hunt for food. It's not impossible, but it implies a very unstable ecosystem; Goblins, cave-dwelling or forest-kin, aren't normally so quick to beset human settlements unless there's a sudden shortage of food in their normal supply chains." She put a finger on the table and drew a circle with it, then drawing another larger circle around that circle. "As the their tunnel systems deepen and increase in complexity, the range of their hunting routes increase as well..." She then drew a line from the big circle to another part of the table where she drew a small circle, "But those hunting routes typically surround the expanse of the tunnel routes. It would be very unusual for Goblins to continually target one area, especially to the point of exhaustion of resources, and even moreso if there are no tunnel routes in the immediate vicinity of the farmland. That implies a level of coordination that goblin packs don't typically show... unless there's a hobgoblin, or a greater goblin at the head."

Sophie traced her finger back to the initial circle, and tapped at it's center. "Hobgoblins are quick  to anger, but can be reasoned with... barely. Greater goblins are... much more intelligent, but far stronger, and far... crueler." She frowned as she said that last part-- A particularly scathing memory surfacing on the back of her mind that she pushed down for the time being. "That leaves a few possibilities. If the attacks only started some time enough ago, long after the establishment of the farmlands, then the attacks could be occurring due to something else disrupting the goblins' natural food chain. If that's removed-- or the natural food chain reestablished-- then they should return to their normal hunting strategies, as long as the farmlands are bolstered with deterrents for a time, to break the habit. If that fails, I'd wager that you are dealing with either a hobgoblin or a greater goblin-- one that has a personal vendetta against the farmland, or perhaps the farmers there. A single hobgoblin or greater goblin leader is unlikely to show itself while it has debatable hordes of lesser goblins to hide behind, but if their hunting habits, or physical language tells could be studied... I'd wager you could secure an audience with them, and attempt to come to some form of agreement..." By now, she'd lost track of her rambling; Waxing closer to idealistic than practical. Still, he did ask for her thoughts on how to go about it...

LostSoul

Godfrey would lean in, picking up his journal to take notes on a clean page, now, he wasn't aware that they normally didn't attack things outside of their tunnel route...did that mean there was one closer then he or the farmers originally thought? He would have to do some scouting, hobgoblin and greater goblin, he quarreled with a hob, not a greater goblin...as far as he was aware at least. He didn't have a time frame of attacks, just what the farmers told him, which if it had been going on for a while, area was not being managed, or something happened to the guards in the first place as a frontier settlement...which means the likely hood of there being something greater in the mountains was likely.

He furrowed his brow at the thought, one thing at a time, goblins was priority. After a moment he nodded "I see...thank you for your insight, I shall use this knowledge to the best of my abilities." He says bowing his head, he didn't have the heart to tell her that it was going to end violently...but maybe if he forced surrender and worked in assimilating them, help them if they have an issue to act as a guard force while he gets things running? Hey...thats not a bad idea. He raised his head with a grin "I have no further questions! thank ya so much, leave ya to yar studying...oh!" he said turning back "Yar ya one of them exploring types Miss Sophie? Or looking for a place to settle?" he asked curiously, a big grin on his face.

He didn't get the pacifism...that was strange, however, she was obviously knowledgeable, and from his own knowledge of nobility, mostly from hard knocks, diplomats tended to be of either very gentle fellows, or manipulative, not only counting her knowledge of potions...how strange he found himself thinking of ways to support his village through people, he would have to remind himself that people are not resources, but people.

He grinned again, even then, it would be good to be allies or even learn what he can from her, he would want someone like her in the future, best to learn what they are like. 

Hyacinthus

The smile returned to Sophie's face as Godfrey nodded and thanked her. "Don't mention it; It's all just friendly advice. I could be completely wrong about it all-- Le'Raana is a very strange land, and Serendipity is perhaps the strangest part of it." Admittedly, she wasn't entirely sure that Godfrey would even heed her advice; It was equally likely that following frustrated outburst earlier, he was merely trying to put her at ease, mentally. Even still, if anything that Sophie had told him could potentially save even one life, human or goblin... perhaps that was worth it. If nothing else, it created another potential ending to this story, she thought to herself; That was worth something.

She giggled a bit at the man's show of gratitude, a deep bow not befitting someone so humble and tiny as her, and waved it off as unnecessary. However, before he did depart, he asked a curious question; One she hadn't given much thought to. Settling down? It never really crossed Sophie's mind. Since leaving Connlaoth so many years ago, she'd always been a traveler; It was just about all she knew. She touched her chin contemplatively as she considered the benefits and consequences of doing such a thing, smiling politely as she came to an answer she was satisfied with for now. "Hm... perhaps one day. Even I would like to start a family at some point, afterall... But I like being on the road. I like picking up a lead on an unexplored, ancient ruin, or a lost path to an untouched glade in the heart of the forests. I'm not sure that I'll be ready to give that up for a very long time." She waxed poetic, eyes glazing over a bit at the very thought of such wanderlust-driven adventures.

LostSoul

Godfrey listened carefully before nodding with a grin

"I see, well miss Sophie, in about a years time, maybe two. If ya find yar'self back here I may have a job for ya that fits yar needs." he says with a chuckle as he bows his head once more

"Though for now, I'm off to sleep...gotta wake up early to be heading back, and once again, thank ya, I shall be using this knowledge to the best of me ability." he says chuckling before bowing his head once more.

"Sorry for scaring ya too, nay intended that way." he says with a frown before nodding and waving as he went back to his table, seeming happy as he got to picking up his stuff, yelling at his drunkard hirlings as he gets everything and proceeds to head up to his room in good cheer, perhaps to settle in for the night.

Hyacinthus

Sophie nodded and smiled; The thought of future jobs appealing, if only for the possibility of building further connections with folks around the realm. She was nothing if not resourceful; And of her many resources, the interconnections she established with both adventurers and persons of import always resulted in her being able to either get herself or people she looked after out of hard situations. Godfrey might become such a person one day; If he didn't die on this quest to stop the goblins, at least. One could only pray for his and the like's safety... As he bid her farewell, the mouse-girl waved kindly, wishing him well on his task, before finishing her drink. She didn't get nearly as much work done as she'd expected; No matter, she'd paid earlier for an inn room nearby, and the night was still young. She had plenty of time to work on her notes from the last quest, the information still vivid in her mind.

"How'd it go? Husband material?" Susie's familiar voice rang in Sophie's ears from a few steps away; Sophie chuckling at the thought as she turned in her seat to face the waitress approaching her table. "That wasn't very nice, y'know-- He thought I was trying to poison him..." She complained, eliciting a giggle out of her larger friend before continuing. "He's probably going to get himself or someone else hurt-- Didn't seem like he'd done much research into the goblin threat in the area, or potential outside factors, or what clearing them out might mean for the environment... but I could be wrong."

"You're rarely wrong, hunny." Susie noted with a shrug which Sophie waved off, countering with a defeated "Until I am."

The last few sips of her drink gone, her body warmed by it's rejuvenating effects, Sophie put aside her final few fears about the situation and decided to let what would be, be. She took a couple of coins from a pouch and after settling her tab, bid Susie good evening as she hopped down from her seat with her book back in it's holster on her belt, leaving the tavern. A relatively uneventful night, she'd decided, though she only made perhaps a handful of steps away from the tavern before a familiar voice broke her stride, and caused her to look up from her absentminded walk to the inn.

"Well, well, well; I've been looking for you... And I don't intend on losing you this time."

A bead of sweat formed and slid down the side of Sophie's golden brown skin as she looked into the near distance, and saw a figure... one she didn't expect to see ever again. Her eyes widened, and her body trembled amid the massive presence... But she didn't run. She knew better, by now... That there was no escape. Not this time. The night, it seemed, would be far longer than she had originally anticipated...