Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Birthstone

Started by visualspice, July 09, 2022, 08:47:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

visualspice

Phen's blue eyes followed her as she moved his face about to scrutinized him. He knew he was a good looking man, maybe even unfairly so, but he wasn't sure how he felt about being sold to someone because of it.

Slavery...never quite settled right with him. And unfortunately how the great city of Essryn operated... going from riches to chains was not unheard of. The ladder always went both ways.

But at her last statement... it made his brows crawl up high.
"You're joking. You think I'd so easily fall in line with pirates?"
CHECK OUT MY LATEST SITE EVENT!
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

My currently active characters:
Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

allthekingsmen

Business was business, to Ember—she dealt with slavers on the water enough times to see how varied they could treat their sentient cargo, but she never held slaves, herself. Prisoners, certainly, and hired laborers to help bring things on and off the ship if they had a particularly large load coming on or off, but never slaves that she owned herself. She liked the taste of freedom, and thought it best suited to everyone... but if the master didn't seem particularly cruel and they had lots of precious gold, who was she to say anything to how the world worked? She had to fund her own life and her own ship, of course.

She pulled away from his face, instead stepping to the side and nudging Phen's foot with her own, jerking her head to Haytham's direction, wordlessly telling him to walk to the master of the crows nest. She cracked a smile. "What? We're a charming bunch, aren't we? It's fun. Have you ever been to Hyoite? It's a bit chilly, but the people are rather interesting. Getting some adventure in your life has never been a bad thing."
I'm under 18, but allowed on SotE because I was around before the rule was made. That being said: I won't be participating in mature content RPs for the time being, but I'm super happy to write other stuff!

visualspice

Phen  was about to obey, (albeit it very hesitantly),  when he abruptly stopped and whirled around to face Ember, nearly tripping over his own feet as he did so.

"Hyoite!?" he exclaimed. "You've got to be kidding me! Thats..That's... a joke... right?"
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

allthekingsmen

Haytham growled in frustration at Phen's sudden change of direction( but Ember snickered and simply nodded at Phen, flipping her long hair over her shoulder. "I do love jokes, but I also hate to lie frivolously—"

"That's a lie," Haytham grumbled underneath his breath.

"—and I'm absolutely telling the truth when I'm saying we've been to Hyoite, and we can go again. You can tag along, of course, since you're a precious guest. Who knows, maybe you'll fall in love with the place."
I'm under 18, but allowed on SotE because I was around before the rule was made. That being said: I won't be participating in mature content RPs for the time being, but I'm super happy to write other stuff!

visualspice

Phen was getting the impression he was missing some key information in their dialog. Whatever their bickering was over, it was exclusive (atleast at the moment) between the pair of them, but as Phen continued to study the pair, then more thoroughly Haytham, he couldn't help but deduce.

"Oh.. you're from Hyoite, aren't you?"
It seemed a sore enough spot and from what Phen knew of the various people of this continent....
He was curious if he were close, if not on the mark.

allthekingsmen

Haytham raised a thick brow, crossing his arms gruffly. "And what made you think that, friend?"

His tone wasn't very pleased at all, his emphasis on the word friend certainly expressing that he didn't consider Phen even remotely close to that in the slightest. He was at least half-right, though—while Haytham's father was Essyrni, his mother was from Hyoite, and he was born there, to boot. Clearly, though, he wasn't keen on sharing that.

Ember rolled her eyes playfully, patting Phen on the shoulder so as to get him to move closer to Haytham again. "Careful with what you assume of others—or at least keep them in your head. Much of the crew aren't exactly open to talkin' about where they came from. What matters is the present, no?"

visualspice

Phen held his tongue. As much as he hated to admitt it, the woman was right. And who was he to judge about one's origin. Hell, he honestly didn't. Hatham could hail from a land of blue people and Pheonix wouldn't bat much of an eye at that considering his own unknown origins that were not necessarily a sore spot.. maybe more like an itch he couldn't scratch.  So, with a wooden smile, Phen followed his captors quietly.

allthekingsmen

Haytham silently guided Phen up the ramp, not bothering to give him so much as a quick glance over his shoulder to make sure he was following. His opinion of Phen, whatever it might've been before, had obviously already soured.

Ember held up the back with Kenway trailing behind, peering up at the magnificence of her ship. She tapped Phen's back, whistling absentmindedly. "D'you spend a lot of time on ships, or are they not your favorite place to be? Knowing whether you've got sea legs or not will help a lot."

visualspice

At the tap, Phen peered over his shoulder at the captain with a frown.
"I've been on a ship or two in my time.." he began. Mostly small wooden boats that could have been eaten by her ship, but still! And it was river cruising, not so much the sea....

His frown then deepened before he gave a small, nervous smile.
"The more we talk, the more I'm gathering the idea you're taking me along for keeps.:

allthekingsmen

"Oho? You should be fine unless we pull out of port, then—a little rocking will be nothing. You don't seem too delicate," Ember mused, though she bitterly noted in her head that he was able to knock her down before.

She returned his smile with a far bolder one, about twice as confident and fairly carefree. "That all depends on how fast and generous your family is. Tell me, truly, how much do you think they'd pay for you? Not how much you think you're worth, necessarily, but how much your family does. Or employer, if your family won't pay."

visualspice

Oh, it was back to money again. Phen smiled sourly, but then ablurr of motion on the gang plank had him doing a double take, and before he knew it Ar'ruubis was flying at him like a locomotive and just as Pheonix began to realize what that meant....
The dog plowed into him with hyper active force, causing g him to spin awkwardly and crash into Ember,..  and were they suddenly... falling?

Oh, crap. The pair were falling, courtesy of the enthusiastic hound, and before he even could react, into the water the pair splashed.

allthekingsmen

Ember squawked in a tone not too dissimilar from a frightened hen, Haytham's eyes widening as he spun around at the chaotic mixture of sounds, turning just in time to see Ember's face disappear beneath the water.

She was a competent enough swimmer, as the water wasn't too deep, but she was never fond of getting wet, much less tangled up in other people and animals. She resurfaced quickly, fist twisted in Phen's shirt to help pull him up with her, mouth bobbing up from beneath to suck in a breath before she dunked her head under again, intentionally this time, to lift her huge mass of hair and flip it over her head and out of her eyes with her free hand, slapping Phen in the face with her long hair. That wasn't intentional, but it was a little satisfying, considering it was his dog that got them into this situation.

She coughed and panted for breath, glaring at Phen with barely-contained rage before lifting her head to the gang plank, scrutinizing the figures still up there. Haytham was seemingly dumbfounded, and Kenway near the end openly snickered. "Don't just stand there, you idiots. Get the dog."

She trained her gaze back onto her "captive," mirth fully out of her system now. "And you." her hand was still gripping his shirt, but she quickly shoved him away (or as much as she could with how heavy her arm was from her wet sleeve). "Get to shore or I'll drown you right here."

visualspice

Pheonix was still sputtering out the water he swallowed down when he was shoved forward, stumbling before caught his balance. He barely had enough time to lift up his head to register what was going on... but from the deck of the ship he watched his dog seem to pirouette around the crew's snatching hands and the dog was racing down the gang plank and was suddenly airborne as be dove towards his soggy master.

Phen barely has a chance to flinch as the dog bowled him over, and the pair fell back into the waters with a heavy splash.

allthekingsmen

Ember almost regretted ever meeting Phen, now, as she tumbled back into the water, hair flopping back in her face as she resurfaced again. Ransom be damned, she was half-tempted to let both him and the dog flounder in the water like babies let down a stream, but considering all the stress that led her to this moment, her sense of greed outweighed her frustration and she grabbed Phen again, like a mutt by the scruff of its neck, and squinted through the red-black curtain of her hair obscuring her face.

"Where's your damn dog?" she asked gruffly, her vision only semi-accurate. If he was lost in the water, she was going to force Kenway to get a net and scoop him up like a sea bass.

visualspice

Phen blinked.
"Errr..  he's kind of right.."

Ar'ruubis's tongue suddenly licked happily at her face.  The dog's tail was wagging, tongue lolling with a happy pant. Oh how the pup loved this game!

allthekingsmen

Ember flinched at the newest wet feeling on her cheek, and grumbled something unintelligible beneath her breath (though it certainly wasn't anything positive), and reluctantly patted Ar'ruubis on the head. She resolved to never get a hyperactive dog like him—old seadogs with lots of patience and levelheadedness, only.

She sighed, moving her hands to lift her hair out of her face once more. "What do you do to calm him down? Because if he keeps pushing us into the water, or at least trying to, I might just explode."

visualspice

And there is was, inspite of their situation, Phen began to laugh. It was a crystalline sound that carried over the waters, and the hound panted more happily for it. The dog turned to Ember, realizing she wasn't as excited as the rest and moved in sympathetically to give her plenty of condoling links to her cheeks.

"You know.." he went on, after finally composing himself.  "This might be a very long excursion. " He couldn't help but smile.  "I think he likes you. "

allthekingsmen

Ember sighed once more, though it wasn't as heavy as before, patting Ar'ruubis on the head lightly and rubbing behind his ears. She couldn't be too mad at the dog—he was just playing, even if it got her dunked in the water and humiliated in front of two members of her crew that already had a habit of ribbing on her.

"Well, our time together all depends on the money," she answered almost reflexively, with the same stiff countenance—that was her life, always focused on the next bit of coin—but paused, continuing to pet Ar'ruubis, calming down a little. It wasn't as if she could get any more damp, right now. anyway. "...But that's good. It'd be a terrible curse if I was hated by him. I can only imagine that I'd be pushed into the water with much more malice."

visualspice

Phen rolled his eyes. Right. Money.
Still, he couldn't help himself as he chuckled at her reply.
"Trust me,  youd know if he hated you," Phen went on. "Ar'ruubis doesn't exactly hide his emotions "

allthekingsmen

Ember saw Phen's eye roll and, in response, pointedly rolled her eyes, but harder than he had. Just to tease and poke, of course. She slowly moved towards dry land, the water sloshing around her as she grimaced at the feeling of sand in her boots. "I can see that. Is he a biter, if he doesn't like someone?"